Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lucien's Tarokka Deck Reading

Lucien

Madame Polshka paused long, waiting for Lucien to change his mind if he wished. Indeed, the Renier's reading was the darkest and most damning the raunie had ever seen. His quest for Jacqueline doomed to failure. His nemesis, a Darklord. Though there was no emotional sentiment or sympathy on her own part, her husband - the Captain of the Tribe - had seemed to like this particular giorgio, and she trusted and loved her husband. So she did Lucien a last favor - she waited. And waited.

At last, she overturned the final card - Lucien's ultimate fate.

A hero stood confidently, sword at the ready to defend or attack as needed. The sun's ray gleamed on his hair and silvery plate mail. A wolf's head, raven, snake, and rat decorated his quartered shield.

ULTIMATE FATE: THE HERO
    http://
    open source screen capture

Madame Polushka slowly looked up from the card as Lucien did, and their eyes locked.

"No wonder my husband likes you. He likes underdogs," she mused. "Sometimes, I think he has a woman's intuition," she smiled in jest.

"This card represents Good Fortune. Victory is certain, no matter your ultimate fate. That is, if you follow my advice. You will have your trials, but in the end, you will defeat the darkness and evils of your past, present, and future - wolf, snake, raven, and rat alike. Though you might not kill the Darklord, you will defeat or evade their machinations, but only by leaving the Trader that will betray you live long enough to become your ally against the Darklord. If such comes to pass, you will avenge yourself of your nemesis. Perhaps, you will even slay the Darklord..."

"...Know this, giorgio." she said intently, leaning forward. "Though victory is certain...it may not come as expected. Beware!

She left Lucien to sit and ponder. The sight of the card had lifted his heart, filled him with hope. Madame Polushka yawned, for it was late, then began clearing the table of the cards. She stood, a hint for Lucien to leave her, as if it had all been a routine business transaction to her, instead of a prophecy that Lucien would live with till the end of his days.

There was a knock at the door. With Madame Polushka's nod, Lucien opened it. It was the Captain.

"We are finished," she told the Captain. "He will be a hero, against all odds. If, he heeds the wisdom of the Tarokka Deck.

"Come from the vardo then, giorgio", the Captain. Lucien did as was told, still taking in the full ramifications of his foretold future. The Captain led him by the dimming camp fire, late in the night, and sat down beside him.

"You seek vishnaad, giorgio," the Captain said, making conversation. "Your future is dark, but you will avenge, becoming a hero after endless trials. Vishnaad, indeed. In our tongue it means Dark Blade, meaning exacted revenge.

"I will name you, then, Dark Blade," the Captain said with a reassuring smile, "and perhaps you will be known as such through out the lands", nudging Lucien with an offered mug of a licorice-smelling liquore.

"It is brogga. You will sleep well, and have prophetic dreams. They may help you piece together more of the mystery of my wife's prescient sight."

Lucien sipped at the brogga, which was warm, tasteful, and went down smoothly, relaxing him.

That was when Lucien noticed the knife in the Captain's hand.

Treachery, Lucien thought. But the Captain did not bear the blade at Lucien. But instead, he sliced his own palm as he rose to his feet. Others vistana still awake around the camp fire started watching intently.

"Stand, giorgio.," the Captain said loudly, so all present would hear. "Rise. Take out your own blade, and do the same to your own palm, so that the wound will leave a scar. And you will no longer be known as giorgio to the Equaar tribe of The Vistana. By blood rite, I will make you giogoto.

All was silent except for the crackling of the dying fire, all eyes on Lucien.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Looking at the vistana captain, Lucien rose to his feet. There was a ring of steel, as Eve seemed to appear in his hand. With out a word he cut deeply into his hand without question. This was an honor few ever have been given, Lucien knew.

Thrusting his hand out Lucien said, "If you are giving me this honor sir, at least give me your name."

OOC:
    Lucien does 5 pts dam to himself
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

They stood face to face.

http://
    screen shot

"My name is Captain Marko," he replied. Both men were bleeding from their hands now, and they clasped them. Their blood mingled. A Vistani woman approached and wrapped a sacred scarf purified by the moonlight. Lucien could smell fey herbal tinctures.

"Hands bound," she said, "blood mingles. We will call you brother."

Other members of the tribe gathered round, chanting. Captain Marko and Lucien Renier entered a dreamlike state at the hypnotic chants. Blood coursed down their arms for several minutes.

"Giogoto is our word for a giorgio who has been enlightened, yet not of the blood." Captain Marko told Lucien, a look of fierce brotherly alliance in his eyes.

When at last their two hands separated, each was covered in blood, but the wounds were miraculously healed. All that remained on Lucien's hand was a wide, purple scar that creased his palm...

...forever marking Lucien a giogoto.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien stared at the wound that had healed, then back to Captain Marko.

"Brother." He stated simply. "Know this Captain Marko, you have a loyal friend and family in me. If there is anything you or your tribe need, I will try everything in my power to help you achieve it. You call me brother and I will never forget that."

Lucien thought how odd it was to feel this strongly about it, since his own family he really didn't have that much care for. The only people he ever had this feeling towards, was his mother, father, and his swordmaster. He just hoped that Marko didn't mysteriously disappear like his father and Andre did.

"After all that has transpired this evening, we should open something strong to celebrate."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

And it was done. The last remaining men of the Equaar shared in strong drink and old stories. They treated Lucien as a friend. Lucien learned about the tralaks from the old rangers. The Captain of the Equaar Tribe marked them on a piece of wood for Lucien to have and keep. They were markings Vistana tribes used when navigating the Mists and camping for the night lands far and wide in the eternal wandering. In a wide perimeter around the campsite of the gypsies, a skilled ranger could find a tralak, carved into the bark of a tree or on etched on a stone, as a possible warning.

Lucien learned ten tralaks, each having its own meaning. The first was a mark made by the Vistana rangers that symbolized that they felt badly received, scorned, by the realm they were passing through. The second was a more serious one - a warning that they were hated in those lands. Perhaps Vistana communicated with other Vistana tribes, with these tree markings, Lucien realized, and all helped each other And now, they were allowing the young Renier to be privy to it. The third was a foreboding sign that Vistana were persecuted in that land, for in many they were indeed. The fourth was a sign of friendly giorgios, meaning trade, fortune telling, and perhaps some of the Vistani charm used for purposes that had given them the reputation of thieves and scoundrels. The fifth meant VERY friendly giorgios. All the drunken Vistana men still awake had a toast over that, as well as winks and jibes while laughing heartily, as Lucien was shown the tralak, then included in the toast. Even later, Lucien was still unsure exactly what all the chuckling had been about. The sixth tralak shown was a symbol that meant the area was haunted. The seventh, a place of recent death by disease. The eighth, a place were murder had recently been committed. The ninth, a place marked by the "lord", the Captain explained. "A place a Darklord has taken interest in or had perhaps recently visited...and perhaps again," he said lowly. He hurried to the tenth. The final tralak meant the area was somehow cursed.

Learning ten of the tralaks used by the Vistana, Lucien retired with the others as it was late, except for a few guards. Lucien slept. Somewhere in his dreams, the vardo lurched forward. Under the tarp he slept through a bumpy ride in the back of the vardo, the Vistana caravan navigating the Mists....

OOC
    Lucien learns the tralaks of the Vistana as reward for becoming giogoto with the Equaar Tribe.

I will, Darvig uttered.