Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucien's Tarokka Deck Reading

Lucien

"Madam this is strange and hard for me to comprehend. You mean for me to believe my conception was through rape?"

Madame Polushka had only stared back at him as he had asked the question. "I can only interpret the card for you, giorgio. But know this, the omens of the Tarokka Deck are real, when read by one such as myself." It was at that moment that she had risen to fetch them tea...all the while, remaining silent on the matter.

Now, she was ready to continue, as was Lucien.

"In leaving Port-a-Museau, you are also scampering away, like a scared rat. An attempt on your life - a misconstrued tryst. A rape. At least, you might yet escape your family history, giorgio"

She became quiet and her raven cawed.

"But the darkness is not only behind you, hunting you. There is also darkness ahead. Thus far, your Tarokka reading is the darkest I have ever seen." Though she was unphased and relaxed, it made Lucien tense up even more so as her painted nails slipped toward the next card.

"The darkness that will be...soon..."

Madame Polushka overturned the next card. Again, it was reversed.

A wizard was struggling through a terrible wind storm along a narrow, arched bridge. In the distance, at the other end of the bridge a small hut sat, its open door sending a bright shaft of light along the path. In the sky, the clouds were breaking up and three stars shown through.

NEAR TERM FOE: THREE OF STARS, THE ENCHANTER, REVERSED
    http://
    photo share

"Your foe - is not one made of blood and flesh. But if it is, it will come as three foes together. More likely, your foe, is your failure. You have been given a task by Jacqueline Renier, no? If you fail..."

The seer shrugged conspiratorially and ran a slow, sharp, painted fingernail across her own neck, mimicking a beheading.

"But you do have an ally of equal significance, if not power." Her eyes darted to the next unturned card. "Shall I proceed?"
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Yes, please," Lucien said.

A darkness before me I can deal with, he thought. At least I can prepare for the three enemies; or, at least, try not to fail. Allies though would be a good thing. An ally in Barovia would be the best, since that was his destination and mission.

He awaited her next turn of the card....
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 09-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

Madame Polushka overturned the next Tarokka card.

A regal priest sat proudly on a throne. On his lap was a scroll, which he read intently, although his hand was raised in a commanding gesture and his mouth open in mid-command. Above hung a banner decorated with eight Glyphs. Two wolves, one black, one white, stood at his heel on either side.

NEAR-TERM ALLY, EIGHT OF GLYPHS, THE BISHOP
    image uploading site

"Contrary to the divine nature of the card," she initially said to Lucien, "the card does not necessarily represent a priest. He reads a scroll - he is either taking orders or could perhaps be a wizard."

"More likely," she continued, her fingertip on the card as her eyes rolled back in her head, "your ally that might save you from failing Jacqueline Renier is someone in command, perhaps nobility, for the figure sits in a throne. His blood commands wolves. You travel to Barovia, no? Perhaps a Von Zarovich, it shall be...yes...a Von Zarovich with a strict adherence to a proud code of honor and loyalty, even if twisted to evil, if such is the case. He is a controlling presence. A commanding presence, in words and his gaze. No matter his motive, he will be stern and unrelenting in his will, and his word is true. He is also controlled by a more powerful presence, one that schemes in the shadows behind him, though these scemes are an unrelated series of events that do not concern you...though you may be required to join in his cause to earn him as an ally. Remember, he is your only true savior against failure. And as I said, whether he aids you or not will depend on your actions, upon meeting him..."

She paused, her fingernails, brushing over the two wolves on the card, one black, one white.

"...and he will not be alone," she added. Wolves will be watching, always. But that is a given in Barovia. There is another presence with him that I speak of, someone also of noble blood, but not of Von Zarovich blood, for the wolves are of different colors. Yes...somehow the two are utterly opposite. Perhaps, the second ally is female."

She sat and let the words sink in to Lucien. So far his reading had been especially dark, by Madame Polushka's claims. A Von Zarovich?

"Your quest to defeat failure with the aid of a noble Von Zarovich accompanied by a woman also of noble blood may or may not succeed. But remember, if you play your cards right," she continued, smirking at her pun, "it may be both that aid you."

The raven cawed.

"Your quest will have a resolution, of course, for better or for worse. The next card lends clue to the likely outcome - your near future, the result of your alliance with the two allies of which I speak...and the foe that you must face...when all is done..."

"Shall I proceed?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Please madame, continue. I am curious as to the outcome predicted by your cards."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

Madame Polushka paused. "As you wish, giorgio."

"Another secret for your twenty secrets." Her hand slowly slid to the next card... "We will see the likely outcome of your doomed quest to survive failure, meaning Death, or worse, at the hands of Jacqueline Renier...except for the potential aid of a Von Zarovich and another noble women. Show me," she said, more to herself or whatever vistana held sacred, "Show me, the likely outcome..."

"Two barefoot beggars dressed in rags huddled against a stone wall in the snow. The smaller, a tiny-bone thin girl with an angular face, held in her palm two-coin shaped pieces of bread. With love in her eyes, she is giving both pieces to the elderly woman in rags who hugs her close"

NEAR FUTURE: TWO OF COINS, THE PHILANTHROPIST, REVERSED
    screen shot tool

"The Philanthropist is one of the most positive cards in the Tarokka Deck."

Something in Lucien relaxed as he involuntarily exhaled. That is, until he saw the look in the seer's eyes as she stared back at him.

"...but the card is reversed."

"A dark meaning it has. The opposite of philanthropy is opportunism. At best, to avoid death at the hands of Jacqueline Renier, you will need to do such distasteful things. For you are but a piece of Dementlieuse cheese in her Richemuloise mousetrap. Bribery, to hide criminal activity. The pretense of friendship for your own reward. The giving of gifts with ulterior motives. These, I see in your near future. You must do these things, with your allies, or you may have to betray your allies, leaving them copperless, to prevent a terrible fate for yourself."

"I also see two, again. Yes..you will meet the Von Zarovich and noble woman as a pair. Her angular face in the card confirms her nobility. Perhaps, since she is the focus of The Philanthropist, this noble woman may show love, giving and caring. Or she may not. Few have love in their eyes. Perhaps she is inspired by the divine, for some giorgios seek solace and peace in false gods."

The Raven cawed. The raunie stared long and hard. There were only three cards left unturned on the black clothed table.

"And the next card shall reveal, the puppetmaster of all. The one. The one who will plague you for each day of your life. The one who will conspire against you, endlessly, especially when you are at your worst. Meet, your ultimate nemesis."

Her hand reached for the card. She paused before overturning it. The raven flapped its wings and let out two abrupt caws.

"Shall I proceed, to reveal to you that which will haunt, hunt, and hate you until death do you part, and perhaps beyond, giorgio? May I remind you, you may halt the reading at anytime."

OOC
    Wow, this really is the darkest Tarokka reading I've ever drawn/dealt.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien let out a long breath, as he sat with his hand tightly gripping Eve.

"Proceed."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

The raven cawed.

"Do you know what would happen if you raised a blade at me?" Madame Polushka asked, as if there would be no question about what would happen if he did. Lucien would have the entire Vistana tribe to fight alone, or die, if stories of the vistana were true.

A compulsion came over Lucien to let go of the blade as Madame Polushka arched an eyebrow and stared at him as if he might have an answer...but what point was an answer, if you were dead. One eye woefully fixed on him, she gave him a kind warning. "It might be better to let go the hilt of your blade. Not only is it unsightly and offensive in the presence of a beautiful woman, by Richemuloise standards, nor is it permitted by giorgios within our camp. So far, my husband and Captain of the Tribe, likes you."

That made sense to Lucien. He let go of Eve.

The Madame nodded and turned the next card...Lucien's ultimate nemesis.

Crowned with a spiky iron circlet, a man with cruel and imperious features stared forth. He sat upon a tall throne, one hand clutching a scepter, and the other rested on the head of a noble wolf standing by his side. A raven perched on the edge of the throne's back, while a snake coiled about his wrist and a rat sat upon his lap. The animals seemed to signify the dark master's power over all cards in the lesser deck.

ULTIMATE NEMESIS, THE DARK MASTER
    screenshot pc

Madame Polushka shielded her eyes as if blinded by the sight of the card. Lucien swallowed inadvertently but maintained his presence of mind at the sight of card that represented his ultimate nemesis, The Dark Master.

The vistani woman stammered, then shut her eyes. She placed a painted fingertip on the card, loathe to touch it.

"You may not understand now, giorgio." She was breathing heavily and the raven fluttered from one dark corner of the vardo to another. "But perhaps one day you will. Most giorgio not know a word of the dread title that is this, nor of their mere existence."

"Your ultimate nemesis, is a darklord."

"I will say no more of it, but know this. This is the most foreboding card in the Tarokka Deck, even more so than Death itself. No worse nemesis you could have, and it will last until...if...you rest in peace."

"Or, The Dark Master rests in peace." She let out a suppressed, hearty laugh, at that thought, unlike the toothless cackles of the older vistani crones. "Though there have been things done, undone," she said, as if to no one. She recollected herself. Only two cards remained unturned on the black-clothed table.

"There is only one friend, one ally, that will always have your back, whether it seems so or not. Trust in it, and it shall be. Thus, is the next card. Perhaps, it is the only ally that can help save you from the darklord."

Her fingers were ready to turn another card. She hesitated for moment, waiting Lucien's respone.

OOC
    Lucien: Will save against Evil Eye...d20+4= 12, fails. Falls under suggestion
    Lucien: Horror save at the sight of The Dark Master as his ultimate nemsis DC 15; d20+8 [-1 Lucien is in close quarters, +2 has been warned about he was about to witness, +1 character has overcome or endured a similar ordeal recently]= 24, success.

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Proceed Madame, proceed."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

Madame Polushka overturned the card.

The card showed a man standing behind a Vistani wagon and a Vistani trader. He has obviously just finished a bargaining session and looks quite satisfied with himself. The Vistani man was half-smiling as he exchanged a tightly yied sack for three coins from the other man's hand. The coins were in mid-air on the card, making one feel as though the exchange of currency and goods might be fair or not fair.

ULTIMATE ALLY: Three of Coins, The Trader, Reversed.
    image upload no compression

"Commerce, caravans, auction houses, marketplaces abandoned in boathouses used for smuggling. Haggling, and fair exchange. Such places."

"When you are among these affairs," she divined. "Keep your eyes peeled. For your ultimate ally will be one who cheats you first in such a place, in a deal, before the days or years after come, when he and he alone can save you from the darklord.."

"If, The Trader is still alive. So Beware! To bring hasty judgement and kill a double-crosser over an unfair trade, beware. For any such soul may be your savior, one day. And if he is dead, you will not be saved."

She waited long, letting it sink in to Lucien. There was only one card not overturned on the table.

"Your ultimate fate, lies beneath that card" she said, seeing him looking at it. "Many a giorgio have chosen to end the reading now, so as not to know. There is no shame in it. A man lives his life how he chooses to live it."

"So you may leave now, or, shall I proceed?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Madam we have come too far with your reading. Let us see this through to the conclusion."

I will, Darvig uttered.