Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lucien's Tarokka Deck Reading

Lucien

"A secret for a secret?" she replied with a sly smile as they walked toward her vardo. "My husband seems to like you. I will enlighten you to all the secrets you were not meant to know about yourself, for all the secrets you have," she bargained.

She stopped at the door of her vardo, about to open it, when she turned her tantalizing gaze on Lucien.

"It is a deal? Shall we proceed?"
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

"I will give what I know, mademoiselle. Although I do not know how many secrets that you may find appropriate," Lucien replied as he stepped up to the vardo door.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

"I have no need of your secrets, giorgio," the vistana seer replied, mildly annoyed. "I have need of your secrets." She arched an eyebrow at Lucien and made a jingling sound with her coin pouch. "Your silver secrets. All of them you carry will suffice as payment for the reading."

She waited, staring him in the eye, hand held out, waiting for the giorgio to cough up his coin before entering the vardo.

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Ah yes, I apologize," Lucien said as he withdrew 20 silver secrets. He pressed them into Madame Polushka's hand. "I hope these will suffice then. Shall we proceed?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

"We shall proceed, giorgio," she repeated, taking twenty secret silver from Lucien. "For each secret, you shall learn a hundred secrets, many that you were not meant to know," she promised with a sly grin as she invited him into her vardo. It smelled of perfumes and incense. There was a rustling of feathers, and Lucien caught sight of a raven in a cage hanging in the shadows of a corner. Its one eyes was fixed upon him. Lucien sat across from the Madame at a small round table covered in laced, black cloth. The seer looked him in the eye. Hers seemed bottomless, exotic pools, as she withdrew something wrapped in black velvet and sat it upon the table. Inside was a small box. She opened it, and retrieved a deck of cards marked in sigils of blood.

"First, I must know, who are you?" There was a long silence as she gazed him in the eye. Her beautiful, severely almond-shaped eyes never left his as she shuffled the cards, and cut them.

"Who you truly are..."

The seer turned the first card, lying it open in the center of the table.

A young man stood, his arms raised above his head, holding a sword that glowed blue. His armor dripped with blood, but his handsome face was triumphant. Sprawled on the ground around him were his many foes - lycanthropes, and other monstrous creatures of the night. A raven sat perched on one of the bodies, a goblet of flesh in its beak.

Lucien noticed he was looking at the card upside down.

FOCUS CARD: ACE OF SWORDS, THE AVENGER, REVERSED
    http://
    screenshot

"The Avenger. You see yourself as one who needs to right wrongs and deal your judgement to your foes. To rid the realm of a monstrous foe, a lycanthrope. You owe allegiance to no one and nothing, accept your own sense of honor and justice. Perhaps virtuously..." she trailed off, her eyes piercing him like daggers.

"But the card is reversed," she said ominously. The raven in the cage cawed, from its dark corner.

"For you, it is a hopeless battle. You will make foolish choices, and become what you loathe most, avenger."

Suddenly, as if lightning had struck her, she put her fingers to her temples, her eyes sinking into the back of her head, leaving milky white orbs. She convulsed her head in circles, neckbones creaking and cracking.

"The lycanthrope speaks to me," she foretold, as if the gods were strangling at her, "...as does the goblet of flesh."

"Tell me," she asked Lucien, almost chanting, fingers still at her temples and eyes vanished, "do you have the blood of the Renier family in you truly? I would care to know what, and exactly what, you know of its...history. Please, elaborate. For soon, you will learn more than you wish...about your own past. In the depths of every heart, there is a tomb and a dungeon, though the lights, the music, and revelry above may cause us to forget their existence, the buried ones beneath the sewers..."

OOC
    Lucien Horror save DC 15 at Focus Card, The Avenger Reversed. d20+8 [-1 alignment, -1 is in close quarters]= 22, success.
    to you Lucien!

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien felt a chill run up his spine when she said lycanthrope.

There were rumors that he had over heard about his family. Rumors of a closer tie with the rats of his country. That the rumors of the sewers of Richemulot being full of were-rats was one thing, but some he had heard said that his own family had the curse as well. It was something that Lucien had never really believed in; but now as she said that word, there was that chill.

"I am of the blood of Renier as my father was, but of my mother I am of Dubois. All I know of my family is that we have ruled Richemulot since my great-grandfather's day. Anything else is just commoner superstition. Tell me, what is this goblet of flesh you speak of?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

"Perhaps I can tell you, giorgio. Of Renier and Dubois blood both, you are." Her lips pursed. "I must learn more about you. Perhaps more of the secrets of your family will be divulged to us, as I delve in your recent past..."

The Madame overturned another card.

A skeletal horse reared, its skull-faced rider wrapped in a black cloak. The horse snorted fire, illuminating the scene. The rider carried a wicked scythe. Beneath the horse's feet lie a headless corpse. Behind him was a field full of tombstones.

RECENT PAST, THE HORSEMAN
    lightshot free download

The seer covered her eyes as she leaned back, as if shaken and stunned. Slowly, as her arms inched down, her eyes were fixed on Lucien. Her voice changed to one husky and ominous.

"Even we vistani fear The Horseman. Who does not fear death? Were the card not in your past, I would look no further, and the reading would be over. Many raunie would have you killed by the tribe's captain and warriors, washing their hands of the blood. For such would be justice, as your presence in the tribe jeopardizes our own safety from the appearance of the card." She paused, and her tongue slowly licked her own ruby lips, as she contemplated things Lucien could not imagine.

"But, since the card is in your past, I will continue with its meaning in your past..."

"You have narrowly escaped Death, as recently as today," she told him. "Whether you are aware of it or not, it is true."

Lucien's mind immediately flashed to Jacqueline Renier. But also Xavier, hiding behind the coat rack. And to Louise, Jacqueline's twin sister, who he'd avoided running into since her talk with Jacqueline. And now, along with the vistana tribe, he was nearly away from Pont-a-Museau and Chateau Delanuit altogether. He asked himself which of the three had been the likely murderer.

"Jacqueline Renier," the Madame said. Whether the vistani was privy to Lucien's thoughts, he would likely never know. "...was in love with a man named Henri Dubois. This fact might make you of particular interest to her." The Madame leaned forward and spoke more softly to Lucien, as if someone might be listening.

"Gossip, is a Renier's weapon of murder," the vistani whispered. "Though poisons are not unheard of. Indeed, such might be the symbolic appearance of the goblet."

The Madame looked at Lucien intently.

"Though you have escaped from your family at Chataeu Delanuit," she prophesized, "you have not yet escaped the clutches of Jacqueline Renier, if it was indeed she who is guilty of the attempt on your life. Even among the vistana, you are not far from the reach of Jacqueline Renier," she warned.

"It is as if, she can smell you, like a rat can smell a bit of cheese through a maze of twisting tunnels."

"But not for long, if you travel beyond the Mists with us. And it may not be her who sought to bring you death. She has a certain...loyalty, to her family, and Renier's have many perceived traitors within their ranks. And you are one?" she asked, more to herself than to Lucien.

"Perhaps I can learn more, from delving deeper into your past, your heritage, your birth. And as I said, many readers of the Tarokka Deck would refuse to carry on, and by vistani blade you would be killed, at the appearance of The Horseman in your reading." She smiled to herself, and sat straight again, as if to be preparing to carry on. "But the card's placement in the reading brings no danger to our tribe. Perhaps that, in itself, is how you escaped Death." She cackled a little.

"I will allow the decision of whether to continue, to you, giorgio. Shall I proceed?"
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 09-10-2016 at 02:25 PM.

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Yes Madam, please do.", Lucien said though grinding teeth.

Lucien gripped Eve at his side, as he thought of what might have happened. Or what might happen. He thought of all who might have a grudge against him, his family especially. Javier he couldn't be sure, though he may be angry since Lucien did tell Jacqueline that he had been in the house. The Grand Dame should not have any problem with him that he would know of. Unless, it wasn't Jacqueline at all and somehow Louise manipulated them all. That would be something the Grand Dame would kill him for.

And just as the woman pulled the next card from her deck, Lucien went cold with his next thought. What if it had been father?

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien

The Madame overturned the next card.

A voluptuous Vistani woman with long, curly hair struck a seductive pose, one hand stretched out as though to draw the viewer forward, the other down along her thighs. She was dressed in silky scarves, one golden earring, and little else.

DISTANT PAST: THE TEMPTRESS REVERSED
    windows screenshot program

"The Temptress, reversed," the seer said. "How scandalous," she remarked with a slight smile. "Your parents may not be who you think they are," she told Lucien. "Or it could be in your ancestry. But in your case, giorgio, the act that led to your conception was not an act of passion...for the card is reversed."

She looked with no sympathy at Lucien...

"You were conceived...by an act of force."

...but she did allow the news of her divining time to sink in to Lucien, leaving him sitting quietly while she fetched a hot kettle of steaming water. She poured each a cup of tea. Waiting for it to cool and blowing away the steam, she took a sip. Lucien could smell the strange herbs she had used for the tea wafting up into his nose, and it twitched.

"Is there something you would like to tell me," she asked, "on that subject? Or shall we continue away from the things that have passed, and on to things that are yet to be?"

OOC
    Ray, amidst your next post make sure you make clear whether or not you drink the Vistana tea.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Lucien couldn't believe what he just heard. Did father rape mother?

"Madam this is strange and hard for me to comprehend. You mean for me to believe my conception was through rape?"

Was this the reason for father's disappearance?

Lucien stared at the cup of tea cooling before him. He took a sip, more to feel something other than the cold pit blooming in his stomach.

"I know nothing of this, I believed my parents were married before I was planned."

It always comes back to the lies of my family.

"Perhaps your cards could reveal more things I don't have knowledge of."

I will, Darvig uttered.