Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Novana's Tarokka Deck Reading

Novana

"Madame Eva, I humbly request you reveal this ally to me." Novana took a deep breath and held it. Her eyes closed.

When they opened, Novana saw the fifth card turned.

A druid stood in a grove of five trees. A raven sat on his shoulder, while a wolf and a rat looked on. A snake coiled on the branch of another tree. Each tree had a mark in the shape of a Glyph on its trunk. A stream was flowing along one side.

NEAR-TERM ALLY, Five of Glyphs, The Druid, reversed.
    http://
    capture screen

"I see a river, yes. Perhaps a river boat captain," Madame Eva foretold. "Someone of great inner turmoil, such that it disturbs the natural serenity of the mind or nature itself. Though he will be the only ally that can save your life, Novana, beware of potential mental illness or obsession within he himself, especially if he is a werewolf, or priest of The Wolf God. It could also possibly be a member of a wererat pack or if in Barovia much longer...a wereraven." Madame Eva looked at Novana intently. "Though the wereravens are rare, and, it would be unlikely, given the card is reversed....but it is still within the realm of possibility: if you hear the words Keepers of the Black Feather, it could be."

Madame looked at Novana long and hard, as if nothing she had ever foretold had been so severely important.

"Your ally is your only savior to your true Death," she claimed. "And now, the next card...the next card will tell us who..or what..it is that shall attempt to murder you...and very soon come to bring your Death..."

"Shall I proceed?" Madame Eva's old beady eyes danced, and she gave a toothless grin.

OOC
    Near-Term Foe coming up for Novana after a response!
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

"...Yes..."

("Blessed Ezra, Our Guardian in the Mists, She who sacrificed Herself to fill the Hollow,
    Healer of the sick, protector of the weak, guide to the lost,
    I pray to you.
    Watch over me, Your servant. Take me under Your protection,
    Show me the light when I am lost in darkness, defend me when the Legions of the Night draw close,
    Lead me to my place in the Grand Scheme, and bring me through the night to the shelter of peace.")
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Novana

"The bringer of your death then," Madame Eva continued ominously, revealing the next card.

A simple marionette dangled, taut strings moving from an unseen master above. The puppet's only decoration was a paper crown that rested lightly on its head.

NEAR-TERM FOE: THE MARRIONETTE
    greenshot

"The bringer of your death will be someone - or something - dominated or possessed by a creature not of this world, perhaps a fiend. The murderer himself will only be an innocent pawn, perhaps. Or not. But the fiend has a long term hidden agenda, that will plague you endlessly in your travels. In the end, only one ally can be trusted to ward off this fiend, my dear...one who will be your ally for life, revealed by the next card..."

"Shall I proceed?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

"...Proceed..."

Her stare did not leave the table.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Novana

"Very well then..." she whispered, her shaky skeletal hands turning the next card.

A dark figure stared outward as though desperately searching for something. His face lay in shadow beneath a hooded cloak decorated with ten stars, yet his eyes shown as two stygian holes with pupils of flame.

LONG-TERM ALLY: Ten of Stars, The Master of Stars
    image hosting 20mb

"Ohh," Madame Eva said, lurching backwards. She stared at the card with nearly the same horror as Novana. "The Master of Stars. I have not seen this card in years. It most always means only one...one Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon. Only he possesses the arcane power to rid the realm of the fiend that will one day come to devour you itself. The Master of Stars possesses unmatched hidden power in such things. He will always be fair and honorable to you, though you may not always see it, for magic works in mysterious ways. And if not, then you must yourself steal the hidden knowledge from the King of Darkon yourself, to deal with the fiend. If so, beware of his spies and elite minions, The Kargat."

"But beware, there are plenty that have opposed The Master of Stars, and all have failed." All but one. "The Hawk, for one. But there are many who still oppose him, and you. But you and the Wizard-King do indeed have a common enemy...the next card...revealing your long term foe, Novana Hiregaard. Your nemesis."

"Shall I proceed?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

Swallowing hard, Novana tried to put forth a face of strength, though her heart felt otherwise*. Nemesis? What could this mean?

"Proceed."

OOC:
    *Bluff check to give the illusion of calm: d20+6= 12.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Novana

"Do not worry my dear, you are young and unskilled, unsullied even, most likely, though beautiful. At your age, I might be scared witless into convulsions myself." Madame Eva cackled at herself. "But you will grow to be old and wise like me someday, unless the next card reveals who will kill you first, or worse...

It was The Diviner. The same card as Novana's focus card.

LONG-TERM NEMESIS: Two of Stars, The Diviner.
    pictures upload

"This is not POSSIBLE!!" The Madame raved. Blood-shot eyes wide open, upon the two identical cards, which she knew did not exist, though Novana had no idea...this had never happened in the history of the Tarokka. There was only one of each card. There was a long pause.

"Ah, but it tis," she said ominously. "It tis', yes..." She slowly struggled to stand, eyes bearing downward upon Novana.

"Yourself! Your Nemesis is YOURSELF! BEWARE of MIRRORS, NOVANA HIREGAARD!!! YOUR FAMILY BLOOD IS CURSED WITH MADNESS OF THE MOST TERRIBLE KIND!!!" she divined, pointing a crooked finger in Novana's face accusingly. "AS I HAVE ALREADY FORESEEN, THERE ARE TWO OF YOU! PERHAPS, IT IS ONLY AZALIN REX WHO CAN SAVE YOU FROM YOURSELF!!!" After a long pause, the Madame sat back down and calmed herself. After an even longer, pregnant pause the vistani crone simply stared at Novana as the old crone wiped the sweat from her own brow with a brightly colored cloth. She missed a spot - a spot of froth dripping from her ancient thin lips. There was one card left unturned upon the table of Tarroka Cards.

"You wish to know what that is," Madame Eva said slowly and gently, seeing Novana's gaze upon it. The dribbled dangled longer. "Upon the card's underside, is your Ultimate Fate." The dribble broke and most of it hit the clothed table, though Madame Eva did not seem to notice.

"You may stop the reading now, and never know, or you may continue, and learn now. Many have wished one or the other and prospered, most have wished one or the other and died....or worse.......shall I proceed?"

OOC
    Madame Eva: Sense Motive can't fail.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 10-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Novana's mouth was dry. She was perspiring.

... But she had to know. She could no longer help herself.

"Reveal the card."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Novana

"As you wish," Madame Eva said evenly, slurred like a snake's hiss. The Vistani turned the final card, and revealed Novana's ultimate fate.

A voluptuous woman with long, curly hair struck a seductive pose, one hand stretched out as though to draw the viewer forward, the other down along her thighs. She was dressed in silky scarves, one golden earring, and little else.

ULTIMATE FATE: THE TEMPTRESS, reversed
    picture sharing

"The Temptress, reversed," Madame Eva said. She gave a toothless grin, her face wrinkled and warty and difficult to look upon without seeing her skeleton just beneath her ancient skin so thin. "Perhaps you will become old to look like me, with the help of the Wizard-King of Darkon!" She cackled. "Or perhaps you will become hideous," she said mischievously. Novana could only stare in horror.*

Long, Madame Eva waited, as Novana sat frozen, staring at the card. Then she took a sip of her tea and let out a small burp.

"I was only joking," she said jovially. But she quickly turned serious. Novana still sat, frozen.

"Truly, The Temptress, reversed, means one thing and one thing only..."

"Ultimately..."

Novana regained her composure, enough to look up at Madame Eva.

"...you will surrender."

And that was all that Madame Eva said of her ultimate fate.

Novana only stared in horror.

OOC
    Great reading Novana!
    Novana: Horror save DC 15 d20+5= 13, fail. random Minor Horror Effect [Frozen]: Novana is momentarily overwhelmed by the scene before her and can take no actions for 3 rounds. She is considered flat-footed for the duration. Horror Effect then ends.

I will, Darvig uttered.