Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryth's Tarokka Deck Reading

Ryth didn't have an answer for the old woman. She seemed to be speaking in riddles, and he wasn't sure where this conversation was going, but he wanted to see it through.

"My wits are sharper than any arrow tip in my quiver," he said with determination. He shot a defiant glare at the crow.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

Caw! Caw!

"Now, now," crooned Madame Babooshka, taking a smooth sip of her wine. "You will not be without aid, from a near term friend." She over turned another card.

A young priest knelt, his head bowed, before a huge wolf. He was naked to the waist. Above him was the full moon; around him a wolf pack is gathered. Each of the eight wolves is marked with a Glyph as is the giant lupine and the priest himself.

NEAR-TERM ALLY: TEN OF GLYPHS, The MASTER OF GLYPHS.
    http://
    screenshot software for windows

The crone appeared impressed by the card with a stiff upper lip. There was hope for this giorgio. Her gaze fell on him intently.

"You will meet a powerful cleric, priest, or druid, who will teach you and aid you from the horrors you will face. But your ally, and you, are also in danger. There are worse things than what any priest can ward. Would you like to know what sorts of things, Ryth?"
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth had met many clerics and druids on his travels to the towns skirting the plains he had roamed the past many years. One had saved his life, calling upon his faith to drag him back from the darkness, allowing him to continue his existence.

"I would like to know, yes," he said eagerly. "And when I will meet this priest?" he asked, deciding that it was time for a few of his own questions. "Will he be able to tell my why I have been brought here?"

Before the old woman could reply, he asked yet one more question. "And what is the significance of the wolves? I was attacked by wolves on my way here."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

"Even the wisest, cannot tell," she replied. "But the tarokka card will give you a clue..."

The single flame of the lone candle in the wagon, made of red wax, flickered and nearly went dark as she slowly reached for the next card.

"...of your ultimate nemesis."

A muscular hooded figure in black leather stands on the gallows. Beside her, a hangman's noose swings, ready for its next victim.

ULTIMATE NEMESIS: THE HANGMAN.
    greenshot screen capture

The old crone spilled her wine, hands trembling at the sight of the card.

Caw! Caw!

When she regained her composure, Madame Babooshka uttered the meaning of the card, clearly taxed by its sight.

"You will forever be charged for being guilty for something you did in innocence. No longer the hunter, you will forever be hunted. Your ally may be the true murderer, or The Temptress may be unfaithful, or you may be caught in the act of mistaken thievery. No matter what the portent, you will forever run from the noose. There will be only one...one...that can save you...shall I tell you whom?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth had know what it was like to run from the authorities on more than one occasion. His youth was fraught with misunderstandings and lessons hard learned. However, he did not believe for a moment that any of those events would warrant a death sentence.

Feeling unnerved by the old woman's reaction, he felt the tension in the room grow. She was good at her craft, for she had drawn him in to her scheme.

"Yes, please tell me," he whispered in an effort not to make the candle flicker further, for he thought it possible for his heart to stop should the room go dark.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

The Raunie flipped the next card.

A deer lie on the forest floor, its throat ripped out. Above it stands a wolf or perhaps werewolf, muzzle still bloody from the kill, snarling at an unseen interloper. The card was reversed.

LONG-TERM ALLY: THE BEAST, REVERSED.
    how to print screen on pc

"Your greatest ally will be one brought back from the Darkness, perhaps a werewolf healed of lycanthropy. Perhaps, even, it will be yourself. Or perhaps you will be watched over by the Keeper of the Black Feather," she whispered, eyes closed.

Caw!

"Regardless, the tarokka knows your ultimate fate," the Vistana crone said spookily. One final card remained unturned on the black velvet cloth.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Again Ryth stared at a card with a wolf motif. He was becoming concerned that his encounter on the road was more than it had seemed. He was not pleased at the thought of becoming a beast such as what was shown on the card. Shaking away the thought, he waited with baited breath for the final card.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

The Raunie watched a bead of sweat perspire on Ryth's forehead.

As music began again outside, the Vistana crone cackled and overturned Ryth's final card, his ultimate fate.

A hooded figure with skeletal hands reaches over eight tombstones. Each of the eight tombstone is marked with a dark star. Rotted corpses reach from the graves.

ULTIMATE FATE, EIGHT OF STARS, THE NECROMANCER.

image upload

The vistana fortune-teller paused long. "If you do not heed my warnings, you will sow the seeds of your own destruction. There are eight tombstones. When you use up your nine lives, Ryth Zellari, you will become what you have trained yourself to kill - the undead. Woe to you! And perhaps, your ninth will be by poison."

"Caw! Caw! Caw!"

"Now," she continued, clearing her old wrinkled throat. "As for my payment...". She left it tailor off as to lead Ryth to suggest something.

OOC
    Ryth: Horror save d20+8 (-1, -1)= 13, fail. Ryth you are now suffering from a Minor Horror effect. You are frozen in Horror - overwhelmed by the card before you and can take no actions for 3 rounds. You are considered flat-footed. After 3 rounds (of horrifying thought), you may speak.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Terrible thoughts swirled in Ryth's head, thoughts he couldn't push into the depths of his mind. He couldn't move, his heart pounding rapidly, his vision blurring. He tried to lift his hand, but couldn't. He tried to look away, but remained staring at the card before him that the crone had flipped.

"Although I do not have much in the way of valuables," he said, a waver in his voice, "I am willing to pay for your services with golden dryktars. They are from my homeland, so I don't know how valuable they will be here, where ever here is."

Moments passed, seeming like an eternity. When he finally regained the feeling of his fingers, he reached to his belt and produced ten golden coins. On one side was the image of an eagle, its wings out spread, and its beak facing right. Opposite was the image of a lone mountain peak, with a crust of snow around the top as though it were a crown.

Setting the coins on the table, he lowered his head in deference, awaiting her verdict.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

The old crone cackled. She cackled for so long that it disturbed Ryth, even more.

Caw! Caw! Caw! Caw!

"Those coins, are of no use to you here in the Land of Mists, Ryth Zellari. And therefore are of no use to me. You might as well take all you have of them, and toss them in the Shadow Rift!"

She cackled again.

"My payment must be something of value to you. This gold holds no value, to you, or I."

Madame Babooshka waited.

I will, Darvig uttered.