Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryth's Tarokka Deck Reading

Default Ryth's Tarokka Deck Reading

Ryth

The music came to an abrupt halt, as did the dancer. The night was abruptly silent.

"Nothing, happens by chance," replied the old crone slouching in the chair. Ryth looked at her, and was utterly crushed to the core of his soul by the look in her large staring eye.

http://
    screen shot on a pc

"Come join me in my vardo. We will see what the tarokka deck has to say," she crooned. The old crone rose, slowly making her way to the steps and door to her wagon. She opened its door, and disappeared inside, leaving the door open for Ryth. The ranger felt the blade point released from his back. He would have to pass through the center of the campsite, by the dancer, to reach the wagon.

OOC
    Old Crone: gives the Evil Eye
    Ryth: Will save vs domination d20+8= 16, fail. Is dominated. You will do as you are told by old crone.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

To be fulfilled, a prophecy needs lots of flexibility."
    -Mason Cooley, City Aphorisms, Seventh Selection.

Ryth Tarokka Reading Begins

Ryth stepped into the fire light, passed the lovely dancer, who smiled her red lips at him, as the circled men watched him warily. He climbed into the vardo and shut the door behind him. He sat in a chair in the cramped wagon, across a small round table covered in smooth black cloth from the crone. He now noticed the warts on her face. The inside of the wagon was cramped with smells of strange incense, rows of jars of newt eyes and leeches, and other unidentifiable things. And a raven.

Caw!

"I am Madame Babooshka, giorgio," she said. She lifted a small black box onto the black velvet and opened it, revealing a deck of ancient cards. She pulled them forth, giving them a small shuffle before spreading 9 cards face down on the table.*

"But the question is...whoooo, are you?" She lifted the center card, turning it over.

On the card was a gentle young woman dressed in white with long golden hair. She sat in a beautiful garden. A hand was up, a butterfly alight on one finger. A cobra lurked in the grass at her feet.

FOCUS CARD: THE INNOCENT
    greenshot download

Madame Babooshka let out a slow, raspy laugh. "Innocent you are, an innocent victim of The Mists. A stranger in a strange land. You are unaware of your great importance and even more unaware of significant danger that awaits. You are friends with nature. But not here. The wolves of Barovia are not butterflies. The cobra lurks."

Caw!

"And you will never return to your former home."**

She waited for the giorgio's response.

OOC
    *domination effect ends here, after 4 rounds.
    **Ryth: Horror save d20+8 + (-1 an innocent is participating in the scene but not threatened, -1 character is in close quarters)= 25, success.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth listened intently to what Madame Babooshka said, allowing her words to sink in like a warmth after being in the cold for an extended time. He had his suspicions that the temporal rifts of the electrical strom on the Plains of Kendrinthalas had transported him to another place, but his mind could barely comprehend the idea that he would never again return to his homeland.

"And you will never return to your former home."

Her words rang through his mind like a gong, resonating and ringing with a definitive force. His breath caught in his chest, and his heart beat quickly, so quick he feared it would burst. Taking a deep breath, he concentrated on the hag before him.

“If Grundara wills it, I will follow,” he said slowly and with determination. “You ask who I am, and I will answer truthfully. I am Ryth Zellari, of the clan Klenchfyst. I hail…” he paused momentarily, thinking he should correct himself, but in the end, chose not to. If he was indeed in a different land, there was no need to keep secrets, as they would not serve a purpose that he could see. “I hail from a land called Dryktara, and I know not why I am here.”

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

"Grundara? Dyrktara? These words you will soon forget," the Vistana fortune-teller warned. It only made Ryth feel more alone.

"But less us delve into your recent past...and see if your claims are true..."

Madame Babooshka overturned another card. A redheaded young woman in a long white gown stood beside her bed looking out a window. One hand was up and reaching. Her face was passive and apprehensive. She is obviously yearning for what was outside. Beyond the window stood a shadowy figure dressed in a dark cloak. His face was pale and his ruddy mouth distorted by fangs. Six stars decorated the leaded windowpane surrounding the clear central portion. The window was slightly open.

RECENT PAST: SIX OF STARS, THE EVOKER.
    screenshot windows 7

"Your temptations have led you to this disaster, trespassing into the forbidden. An ancient graveyard, perhaps, in search of a confrontation with evil. Yes?"
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 09-26-2013 at 11:24 PM.

I will, Darvig uttered.

"Grundara? Dyrktara? These words you will soon forget,"

Deep down, Ryth vowed he would never forget his past, regardless of where he was or where he ended up. The past had taught him how to survive, how to stay alive. He intended to continue to do so for as long as he was able.

"Your temptations have led you to this disaster, trespassing into the forbidden. An ancient graveyard, perhaps, in search of a confrontation with evil. Yes?"

Ryth was puzzled by the old woman's statement, and surprised that she knew so much about his past. He decided that he should continue to listen, and answer as well as he could.

"Yes, a graveyard. The last image of home in my mind was near a graveyard," he replied quietly, anxious for her to continue.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

"Your home," she repeated. "Let us delve into your distant past, Ryth, and the cards will tell all..."

Caw!

The Rauni of the tribe overturned another card. The image on the card was of a wrinkled, stoutly man counting nine coins by the light of a guttering candle. His night-clothes were patched, but piles of gems and other treasures sat on shelves behind him. A rat sat on the table with him, holding one of the coins in its paws.

DISTANT PAST: THE NINE OF COINS, THE MISER.
    imageshackus

"The Nine of Coins, The Miser. You were raised by folk wielding vast hordes of wealth, who delve deep into earth and stone for gems. A bitter man, or perhaps dwarves. Whether the hoarding misers were noble or only interested in nothing but their own pleasure and decadence, I can not tell. Do you know what is in your heart, Ryth Zellari?" she asked, arching an eyebrow.

I will, Darvig uttered.

The old woman could clearly see the shock on Ryth's face as she mentioned dwarves. Was it possible that she knew his clan name, and was feigning that she had never heard of his homeland. He could not tell from her facial expressions.

"It is true that I was raised by Grundara's Children*," he whispered, his throat dry, and his voice raspy. "As to my heart, I only know that I have yet to find my meaning in this life."

OOC
    * Grundara's Children refers to Dwarves of Dryktara

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

She smiled, toothless. "Then the tarokka will tell you what's in your heart, if you follow it. Your near future it sees." Madame Babooshka overturned another card. The Vistana crone gasped. The raven's wings fluttered. The elderly fortune-teller took a sip of wine. On the card was a voluptuous Vistani woman with long, curly hair striking a seductive pose, one hand stretched out as though to draw the viewer forward, the other down along her thighs. She was dressed in silky scarves, one golden earring, and little else.

NEAR FUTURE: THE TEMPTRESS.

program to take screenshots

"You will fall prey to physical, seductive temptation, either in your acts, or your thoughts." Her tone was dire. "And you will have enemies, too. Have you made any, since traveling The Mists?"

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth had known women, having met them on his travels into Dorgin-Nohr, the capitol city of Kingsland Province, but he had never known the love of a woman, or at least, the love known when two form a bond between them. He had seen husband and wife walking together, or working the fields, and he had felt a longing, a desire to feel what they felt. However, that bond always seemed out of reach. To a point, he felt jealousy toward those who had found that bond, but quickly dismissed it as foolish.

"I do not believe I have made any enemies on my journey here," he began, staring at the card, mesmerized by the beauty portrayed on it. "I was attacked by wolves, and I fled to this camp. That is all," he stated, running through the days events in his head, making certain that his eyes had not betrayed him. He could think of nothing more he had seen or done since passing through the otherworldly mist.

Had she asked him if he had enemies where he was from would have seen another answer, but being as that he was supposedly never to return home, he felt that it was a moot point. He knew that there were those in more than one town that would enjoy watching his life drip to the ground from their well honed blade. But he wasn't there any longer. And he reveled in the thought that he would deny them that pleasure.

I will, Darvig uttered.

Ryth

"Then perhaps you have not yet met. Or perhaps you have. But woe, it will not be long." With weathered, wrinkled, trembling fingers, Madame Babooshka overturned the next card.

The druid stood in a grove of five trees. A raven sat on his shoulder, while a wolf and a rat looked on. A snake coiled on the branch of another tree. Each tree had a mark in the shape of a Glyph on its trunk. A stream flowed along one side of the grove. The card was reversed.

NEAR-TERM FOE: THE FIVE OF GLYPHS, THE DRUID, REVERSED.
    free screenshot tool

"Nature has turned against you," she prophesized. "It will disturb the natural serenity of your mind. Beware! Beware, of mental illness, or obsession with The Temptress. You are a man of nature. How will you combat such a nemesis, giorgio, with arrow and bow?" The old crone cackled at herself.

Caw!

I will, Darvig uttered.