Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking Players for Old School Chronicles Campaign

Default Seeking Players for Old School Chronicles Campaign

Hi there people! I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread; but here goes....

My name is Max and I used to peruse these boards somewhat regularly for a few months about a year and a half ago....then work got insane; my daughter entered day-care and life just became a bit too busy for very much internet surfing. Now things are much more stable (at the moment, anyway!); and I'm finding myself with a fair bit of time to surf my old favorite web sites again.

I'm a big fan of Dragonlance (well...the eras before Dragons of Summer Flame anyway) and old school (as in BECMI, AD&D 1st and 2nd Edition) D&D; and was wondering if anyone would be interested in playing in a DL Play-by-post game on these boards that I could run?

Twice in the last five years I have made attempts to run the classic DL1-DL14 series and both times the campaigns have stalled out at about the beginning of the DL3 point. (The second of these attempts is detailed on this site) I would VERY MUCH like to jump back into running this campaign; using either AD&D 1, AD&D 2 or the modified BECMI system I devised for the last time I attempted this campaign. I'm happy to use the Pre-generated 'Heroes of the Lance' or original characters and I could start at DL1 or DL3, whatever works best for people. So....anybody interested in jumping into an Old-school DL campaign on these boards with me? I'd be looking for 3-5 players preferably.....

Here's hoping!

-Max
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 09-23-2013 at 05:39 PM.

I'm in!

Color me interested
    Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

maxvale, I went ahead and moved this thread to the Dragonlance In-Character Role-Playing Forum (since you're recruiting for a play-by-post DL game) and changed the title so people knew what the thread was about.

Good luck getting your game off the ground! The play-by-post format can be a very rewarding one to run a D&D game in.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Thanks Tauren!

Garth and Boneguard; welcome aboard! Do you guys have any preferences for system to use? Place to start? Character concepts in mind?

All I need is at least 1 more player and that'll be enough for me to get the game going; looking forward to it!

Personally, I would favour 1st ed since the DL serie are under that ruleset, but 2nd and BECMI works for me too.

I have no preference for a Starting point.

Concept-wise, I have serveral (In Krynn):
    1) Human Knight of solamnia or Ranger;
    2) Elven (Qualinesti) Cleric/Red Mage;
    3) Dwarven (Hylar) Fighter;
    4) Goblin Thief (under 2nd ed);
    5) Human Barbarian.

I only played 2e, so I can't have no opinion on other systems. I think that 1e ou 2e would be ok.

I still haven't thought about a character yet but I'll thinkg about it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    I only played 2e, so I can't have no opinion on other systems. I think that 1e ou 2e would be ok.
    I started under 2nd edition, but now I mostly play 1st edition. It's very similar that you can pick it up very easily.

Some of the main difference:
    - No THAC0 (the GM uses a combat matrix...which is a proto-THAC0;
    - More classes, different xp progression;
    - Demihuman tend to have lower maximum for class in 1st edition;
    - Thief skills are preset per level;
    - Weapon VS Armour matrix (some weapon are better/worse vs some type of armour);
    - Encumbrance is slightly different;
    - Some class are slightly different mechanically.

But as I said, you can get into it quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Boneguard View Post
    I started under 2nd edition, but now I mostly play 1st edition. It's very similar that you can pick it up very easily.

Some of the main difference:
    - No THAC0 (the GM uses a combat matrix...which is a proto-THAC0;
    - More classes, different xp progression;
    - Demihuman tend to have lower maximum for class in 1st edition;
    - Thief skills are preset per level;
    - Weapon VS Armour matrix (some weapon are better/worse vs some type of armour);
    - Encumbrance is slightly different;
    - Some class are slightly different mechanically.

But as I said, you can get into it quite easily.
    I have no problem playing 1e, I'm actually curious now on how the system works. Let's go 1st edition!

....and here I was a about to make the argument for 2nd edition....DOH!

It DOES seem like you guys want to go the original character route vs. the classic Pre-gens; that's certainly cool with me. I may use a few of them in NPC roles though; depending on what the party ends up looking like.

No worries; 1st Edition will work; please note that I will use some house rules; most of which aren't really anything major; but just so folks' know here's a few of them...

* I will NOT be using the Knights of Solamnia as a class (a la the Dragonlance Adventures or 2nd Edition boxed sets); instead the Knights will be Fighters and the rare Cleric or Paladin

* 2 class characters are okay but NOT 3 class characters....i.e a Fighter/Mage is fine; a Fighter/Mage/Cleric is not

* No Attributes scores higher than 18 though the bonuses/penalties still apply at character creation for Demi-humans; no minimums/maximums based on race or gender EXCEPT that the attribute die which is penalized by -1 (i.e. CON for Elves) cannot be higher than 17; and the following attribute for each race must be at least a 9:

Elves and Kender: DEX; Dwarves: CON; Gnomes: INT...also Gnomes get a +1 to INT and -1 to WIS

* While I MAY allow Illusionists or Monks with the right kind of back-story; no Assassins please

* Clerics (after becoming TRUE clerics that is) will have a special ability based on their chosen Deity....an example would be all Healing spells cast by Clerics of Mishakal will gain +2 on any HPs restored rolls (i.e. Cure Light Wounds is now 1d8+2; etc.)

* Initial character attribute rolls will be 4d6; dropping the lowest and arranging as desired. Scores can be increased via 2 for 1 trading...i.e. you may have rolled a 16 and placed it in DEX for your Thief character and have a 12 in STR. You could increase the DEX score to 17 by lowering the STR score to 10

* The Ranger class is quite overpowered in 1st Edition; in my opinion. If anyone chooses that class; please note that I will be running the class mostly along the 2nd Edition versions lines...i.e. a SINGLE chosen enemy; not the list of virtually every Evil humanoid in the Monster Manual; two weapon fighting with no penalty as long as light armor is worn; d10 hit points vice 2d8 at First Level; and Druid spells at high level and no MU spells (honestly....WHY in the hell do Rangers get MU spells? Anybody?)

Okay....those are the big ones I can think of for now; there'll be some more minor ones (some of the weapon details such as damage or range will change; I'll post a weapon chart); hopefully nobody is screaming bloody murder just yet!

A couple of questions/points for you guys. Mostly; I'm using the Chronicles novels and the DL modules as my only real "cannon"; so if you have a lot of the 3rd Edition stuff and think of it as "THE HOLY GRAIL"; please consult with me as somethings might be quite different. Even from "cannon" I have a few differences on my "take" on DL; nothing really radical; but just be aware of that.

Okay....so; two things that I've learned over all my years of gaming (I'm in my mid 30s) to get figured out right at the beginning is Alignment and Style of Play.

Alignment: Here's my thoughts on this....for about the past 5 years I've gone to a simple "Good"; "Neutral"; "Evil" scale and I'm happy to use this for this game if people want to. While I don't mean to get into a long, detailed account of what each one really "means"; for purposes of gaming I allow "Good" and "Neutral" and no "Evil" characters and in game effects it basically means that Good characters are not going to blindly kill people/creatures they've never seen do terrible things (i.e. go into a Dungeon no where near civilization and just kill things and take their stuff); but they certainly can do so if they HAVE seen those creatures do those things or if they attack them. Neutral characters can indeed make rationalizations to do this.

On the other hand; I'm cool with using the classic 9 alignment chart as well; again; please no Evil characters and if you have a true Neutral character....you'd better have a serious justification for why you're in a party of adventurers.

My take is essentially that Alignment is not a personality indicator so much as a "when backed into a corner; what choice do you make" scale. In other words; somebody could be Neutral Evil and be a devoted family man and pillar of the community...as long as things are going well....and on the day the bandits roll into town and he has the chance to help his family and/or town; he bolts for the hills without really worrying about them.

Or...a person could a Lawful Good Knight and be a miserable jerk to just about everyone; but when the bandits attack; he rushes out and fights the goblins; protects the people and puts himself at serious risk in order to save them....perhaps all the while cursing them.

Whichever way people want to go is cool with me; but I thought I'd throw my views out there to save any later "Your character is a LG Knight; he's NOT going to sleep well after slitting the throats of a bunch of tied up (or magically asleep) Goblins he's never seen do anyone any harm-" "THAT's NONSENSE; they're Goblins!" kind of arguments. If you don't want to have moral dilemmas just choose "Neutral" if using my simple scale or "Chaotic Neutral" if choosing the classic 9 alignment scale.

As for STYLE choice; basically...the major question is "What are your feelings about character death?" Do you guys want to go with the gritty "let the dice fall as they may" method or utilized the Negative Ten Hit Points and/or possibly having me the DM fudge certain situations so that a randomly encountered Giant Centipede doesn't kill you with poison when you roll a 1 on your Saving Throw?

I'm perfectly fine with either method; but I have found that it's best for everyone to be on the same page about this at the beginning rather than be months into a campaign and somebody loses their cherished character to a lucky shot by a "mook" monster. My advice if people choose the gritty method...have a second character concept in mind just in case.

Okay, sorry for the long post!

Boneguard: A Knight character is fine....would you want to start out actually being a Knight or perhaps a squire....or something more along the lines of Sturm; i.e. a "quasi" Knight?