Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Light In The Mists: Main Thread

Default Light In The Mists: Main Thread

Welcome to the Winter Solstice festival, a celebration for the coming of winter. The festival is held in the town of Immol, adjacent to a lake at the foot of Terestrău ("Mount Sawtooth") in the south-eastern corner of Barovia. The lake is the source of the Saniset River which is not navigable at this point. Immol is joined to Hazlan by the Warlock's Road. It is reckoned to be one day's hard ride from Toyalis.

The weather today is quite bleak. Thunderheads loom above, but as far as Barovian weather goes, it's a beautiful day. Children are playing, as their parents sell their wares. The lake has frozen over and local teenagers are iceskating on the lake.

Down by the lake, a small carnival has set up a food vendor, a few games of chance, a few games of skill and strength, mastiff rides for the kids, the House of Mirrors, and a tent with a sign on it saying "Squalk the Amazing Birdman".

The local pubhouse, The Bolting Stag, has set up tables around a roaring bonfire, and is selling warm hard cider and their "famous" lamb sausage.

About 400 hundred people loom about in different stages of inebriation. Most of the females are wearing black, because they are usually in mourning.
    Last edited by Drakestendor; 09-11-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Default Varsinya

Varsinya Weissritter was a gaunt, but attractive, girl. She was a bit of an outcast in Immol. Being part Forfarian and part gypsy, she heard utterances of disdain from a lot of the old crones as she went about her day-to-day. The whispered things like "Borcan spy" and "Gypsy scum." This drove Varsinya closer to her goddess.

She took it upon herself to try and restore the half burnt husk of a church into a place for her to worship. With the help of the blacksmith's son, who had developed an adolescent crush on her, they had managed to make a livable structure for her out of the unburnt remnants of the church.

His name was Petru, and he was pretty handy with a hammer and nail. His father didn't mind the time he spent with Varsnya, because he was a spiritual man and Petru's mother died in childbirth, and Petru always showed up with what food they could spare for Varsnya.

On the morning of the Winter Soltice, Petru excitedly woke up Varsnya with a wonderful breakfast of Sarmale (pork wrapped in cabbage) and a bottle of Tsuika (plum brandy) wrapped in festive fabric.

"Happy New Year, Varsnya!!! Are you ready for the festival? You promised to take me, remember?

She awoke with a start, feeling the pull of the moon's looming fullness. The walls felt like they we're closing in on her. She chastized herself for making that promise to Petru.

OOC
    ...and go

Default Nizami

Nizami grew up in the outskirts of Immol. He befriended a local sage named Doktor Aleksander Mirakovich and borrowed books from him whenever he could.

Upon leaving his parent's care, he approached Aleksander looking for work. Aleksander got him a job as a scribe in the Teodorus Archive, which included room and board.

Nizami spent his nights researching religion, naturalism, arcanum, local legends, and even learned a few languages. He even translated a copy of the Book of Ezra into Balok for himself.

On the eve of the Solstice, The Doctor came to Nizami's room.

"Nizami, my dear lad, you must go out and have some fun. Books warm the mind, but not the spirit. Tomorrow there will be no work. But if you must, go chronicle the events of the festival. This dusty place will be fine without you."

Varsinya

windows screenshot

Varsinya was thankful for the help of Petru. There were feelings he stirred in her too, but she was more clever at hiding them, which only made his crush on her more obvious.

"I need fresh air," she answered, after picking at her sarmale and rising with hasty awkwardness, her hands shaking a little. It wasn't Petru, so much, as the madness: tonight would be the full moon. She walked outside and saw the folk of Immol preparing for the festival. A chill wind blew. She strolled, with Petru following her like a puppy dog, toward the Church of Ezra they were building. Unfortunately, even with Petru's help, the church was far from usable. Still, she entered, careful not to trip on any splintered boards. There, she knelt and prayed to Ezra, her Guardian in the Mists.

When she rose she found Petru waiting. She gave a wane smile. Perhaps the festival wouldn't be so bad. She had been to it before, every year that she could remember. Deep down, she knew the time was coming close, time to leave Immol, forever, and reach the Home Faith. She was no cleric, and had no business starting her own church and calling herself priestess, not without the blessing of the Anchorites afar in lands she had never seen. But she knew how to use a sword. And she would do so, in the name of Ezra.

"Petru," she said, taking his hand in hers. "Let's enjoy today." This made Petru smile, for he seemed much more excited about the festival than her. She decided to break the news to him - that this would be her last festival, before she left the village forever to brave the choked pass through the looming Balinoks heading west. She would leave the restoration of the church unfinished.

But she found herself tongue-tied, trembling, even inside the church.

"I need more fresh air," she said instead, walking past him into the cold street. The cold wind made her feel free. "Come Petru," she said, turning. "No need to work on the church today. It is festival time."

I promised to take him? Her mind was still swirling from last night, like the Mists. She must have had one too many glasses of tuika last night. She shuddered at the thought of what might happen later in the festival, when the sun went down. She would feel the urge to strip herself of her habit, and run naked under the full moon.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 09-12-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Nizami

Nizami had a look of confusion on his face. Was it festival time already? His nose had been buried in these books he had forgotten! He loved going to the festival with his adopted parents. While they sold their fruits, vegetables and livestock, Nizami watched the street performers. There were always vistana around and Nizami always hoped he would find his mother or grandmother but in all the years he never did. Perhaps this was the year. He started to get excited again. "Yes sir, I'll chronicle the festival. And sir... thank you." Nizami had always been respectful to everyone he met, his appearance unnerved many but when he talked it was with respect and intelligence which won many over... still there were more that saw him for a monster. Nizami was used to this.

The next day he packed his things in his pack and kissed his pendant that his lost grandmother had given them. He was good at telling other people's futures but when it came to his it always seemed cloudy. He stepped outside of the Archive and took a deep breath. The air was fresh and clean as a breeze came in off the lake. He smiled, perhaps today was to be the day. He left to take in the many sights that the festival had to offer.
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 09-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

Default Anica

Anica was awoken before dawn by her adoptive parents. As Anica wiped
    the smutz from her eyes, her "father" listed all of the things that needed
    done before they opened. Anica had been thru this before, many times, so
    she didn't bother to listen.
    All she wanted was coffee, but she had to go get water from outside first.
    She donned her clothes while humming a song she had been working on.
    She walked down to the well, and noticed flyers posted on the community
    message board located conveniently by the well.

Among the mundane advertisements a flyer caught her attention:

Bardic Competition
    sponsored by the Burgomeister Petre Teodorus

held: Day one of the Solstice Festival , noon

prizes TBA!!

She then heard her "Mom's" shrill voice yell, "ANICA!!! There's Sausage to be stuffed!!!"

OOC
    and yer on....
    Last edited by Drakestendor; 09-12-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Default Anica

"Coming!" she cried as she ripped the flyer down from the wall, then hauled the heavy water pail through the back door of the Inn. Various songs began whipping through her mind as she prepared the morning meal barely hearing her adoptive parents. Time and again she would stop and pull the flyer out of her apron pouch and look at it. When breakfast was said and done along with all the dishes she decided to see if she could get out of the rest of the chores for the morning.
    "Mother? I don't suppose I could skip out to see the festival? The Burgomeister is have a bardic competition and the sign up in less than a hour. I would need time to clean myself up and make my self presentable. Please? I'll make it up tomorrow, I promise.", she pleaded.

OOC:
    Diplomacy to get out of the rest of my chores D20(15)+8=23

Default Varsinya

Varsinya, belly full, walked down towards the park towards the festival. The town square had been decorated with banners and local merchants we're selling their marked up wares at a discount. Varsinya, out of habit, checked the community posting board for local announcement and odd jobs.

The board was posted with advertisements for local businesses, a flyer for the bardic competition that was happening today, and one flyer that caught Varsinya's attention.

Party Hardy's Step Right Up Travelling Carnival
    NOW HIRING

See exotic lands
    Entertain the masses
    Unlimited earning potential

hiring entertainers, laborers, guards, and more

Next stop Hazlan, then on to Kartakass

contact Party Hardy for your chance at adventure

Varsinya

Her hand still holding on to Petru's, Varsinya dragged him to a stop. She read the sign. "I'll be back, Petru." She let his hand go without a word and hastened back to her mother's abode. She donned her habit and gathered all of her things. When she left home, she even brought King, her donkey. Fortunately her mother wasn't home, and she wouldn't have to say goodbye. Maybe it was something about the moon madness, she didn't know, but she wasn't in the mood for long goodbyes. She had told her mother she was leaving. But to not say goodbye? Varsinya felt a pang of guilt, but then swallowed it. She was about to run away from home without saying goodbye.

Once she led King back to the sign she read it again, double checking her luck. Thank goodness Petru wasn't there either. If she was lucky she wouldn't run into him around the festival grounds. Goodbyes were awkward for her, as she had never left Immol and never had to do it before.

The Home Faith was in a land called Borca, she knew. She wasn't sure where that was, except it was west of the Balinoks. She didn't know were Hazlan or Kartakass were either. Maybe they were west too. She would take the chance, it might be the only one she would get to not travel the Balinoks alone.

Leading King, she went about the festival in search of Party Hardy.

OOC
    Perception (search) check, searching around the festival for Party Hardy: d20+5= 16.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Default Nizami

Nizami head out of the library and headed to the festival. The town was abuzz with activity. Vendors selling their wares. The burgomeister was supposed to reveal a new glockenspiel at the festival ground this evening. He promised it was going to be the best glockenspiel in all of Barovia, crafted by the glockenspiel master Mircea VonZarovich.

The festival grounds were live with activity. The Step Right Up Travelling carnival is sort of a ramshackle endeavor. A few attraction tents have been set up. One is the House of Mirrors whcih is actually a tent painted to look like a house, and the other has a sign which reads "Squalk the Amazing Birdman". Barkers stand out front of these tents trying to attract customers, and only a few seem interested so far. There are a few games of chance as well. A gambling wheel ran by an attractive half vistani in garish attire, seemed to be the busiest attraction. A knife throwing booth with different size targets, with a midget in a jesters suit, barked at patrons as well. A strange, tall contraption with a bell on top is ran by a large tattoed man with a very large hammer. A few carts with meat on a stick and popcorn balls are scattered about.

A common tent had been set up with tables and chairs, but next to that is a roped off area. Inside the roped off ares, is something about 25 feet tall covered in a large canvas tarpaulin. A man in robes sits in a chair next to it, nose deep in a large tome.

OOC
    gimme a perception check