Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: RotR Chapter One: Burnt Offerings

Default The Red Dog Smithy

Goraxis did indeed see it there a ways down the road. It looked more like a barn than a decent shop. Dangling from a post was a finely carved wooden sign: the profile of a mastiff's head, painted crimson. A small patch of grass in front of the shop had been fenced in, and currently held captive a small flock of chickens. There was a small anvil, and a quenching barrel near the open door. From inside, Goraxis could see the watery red glow of a forge. Drawing nearer, he could hear the rush of controlled flame, fanned by a bellows, and more of that beautiful metal-on-metal ringing, music to the Dwarf's ears.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Victaria's morose contemplations were interrupted by the massive man standing in front of her table. Victaria had never seen anyone quite like him. His hair caught the sun in a way almost none of the hair colors in Varisia did, and his build was as large and muscled as the common Shoanti but in a different way. That, combined with the way he spoke led her to realize that this man was a northerner, an uncommon site in Varisia. Victaria remembered a book she had read long ago, The Lands of Golarion, and its comments on the North. The book had been written in Cheliax, so she suspected it suffered from some prejudiced misconceptions. It talked of a barbarian society, renowned for its violence and warfare and made mostly of reavers and pillagers. The man before her didn't look so bad as all that, though.

Victaria soon came to realize that she had been staring at the man and thinking for an awkward amount of time. "Yes! of course," she said with a sudden start. She gave the man a shy smile and began rummaging around the table for a spare bit of parchment.

"Y-y-y," she stopped, and forced herself to swallow and calm herself, "-You'll want the Rusty D-Dragon." For the millionth time in her life Victaria cursed her stutter. She knew she was smart, but the minute it started people assumed she was simple. Marik had always said her mind just moved to fast for her mouth to follow, but, well, Marik had said a lot of things that were never true. She hadn't had a chance to meditate for very long this morning, and she was noticing her stutter was always worse when she hadn't meditated. Irori, help me through the day, she thought.

As she spoke she was drawing a very rough map of the town on the spare bit of parchment. With the kind of smooth strokes of the quill that she wished she could do with her speech she marked out the major streets of the town, showing streets such as Main and Festival. Where Market street and Water street met she put a small X, showing the location of the inn. She added another mark to show the location of the House of Blue Stones.

"Here y-y-y, here you go," she said as she handed over the paper, her face flushing red. "Just follow that street there till you almost hit the b-b-bridge and you'll see it on the left. The owner app-appreciates a good story and will usually give a f-free meal to hear one. I-I'm sure someone so far from home has g-g-good story or two." Victaria lowered her eyes at that, wondering if it was a stupid thing to say.

"Don't worry about the g-gold," she said. "Anyone could point you there. J-just remember that if you ever have any s-s-scribing needs Victaria G-Grey is here to h-help. You can usually find me here during the f-festival or at the H-House of Blue Sands. It's on the m-m-m-," she swallowed, her face getting even redder. "It's on the map."

"I promise I write better than I s-speak," she added sadly. She should just go back to the library where she wouldn't have to deal with anyone. She wasn't meant to be here, meeting all the new people in town for the festival. Her being here was like some kind of joke, and it really wasn't funny.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

Default Gus, Eulalia (and Jack too)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBall
    "Yes."
    Gus's eyebrows shot up slightly at the merchant's positive response. He's insincere smile became a genuine grin.

“Alright then. See you never!” he said with a wave to the retreating form of the rotund paymaster. Even better? The fat man was replaced by Eulalia.

“Hey 'Lalia! I just got us relieved from this morning's very boring duties,” he said, never letting his grin falter. “Want to find some beer and some real breakfast? I am done with this bloody dog and pony show,” he said scornfully.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Jack shrugged, a bit disappointed at the lack of reaction. Corners of the man's mouth downturned, he contiued onward to the open grocery.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Default Goraxis

Pleased with his skill at navigating the streets of Sandpoint, thus finding the Red Dog Smithy, Goraxis pulled himself up to his full four foot - one inch in height, and marched past the corral that held the clucking chickens. With the familiar sound of metal hammering filling his ears like the soft melodic song of a morning dove, he entered the barn-like shop.

"Yo! Be there anyone here?" he called out, searching the building for its proprietor. "I 'pologize for the early time o' day, and all," he added in a distinct effort at diplomacy, something which had always eluded the dwarf even from a very early age.

OOC
    Perception Check
    to notice the shop keeper: d20 (13) + 0 = 13
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

Erik's warm smile was reflected in his sky-blue eyes.

"No apologies. I remember I took a long time to find my voice. My uncle helped me there I suppose. And, please, take this as payment for the map. I am much obliged."

Erik placed a gold piece on her table and began to walk in the direction of the Rusty Dragon, map in hand. But then a thought hit him. He turned back towards Victaria, his golden locks gleaming in the morning light.

"Feel free to join me if you find the time or inclination. The drinks will be on me."

Erik resumed his stroll to the Rusty Dragon.

So, a tale for a drink...
    When the cards are down and some wild-eyed, green-skinned gamorrean grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the duracrete wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jak Starwind always says at a time like that: 'Have ya paid your dues, Jak?' 'Yessir, the credchip is in the mail.'

Red face Better Break Fast Than Suffer a Fast Break

"A meal sounds good," she answered Gus. Inwardly she chastised herself for running up during his altercation like a mother hen.

And she'd worried for nothing, for in spite of his saucy tongue the matter had ended smoothly.

There was another matter to smooth over, however.

"Gus I'm sorry I overreacted about the horse," she blurted out. "If you hadn't killed it I know someone else would have and perhaps their shot wouldn't have been as clean and..." She trailed off, hardly believing she'd gone from refusing to speak to him over the horse to complimenting his accuracy.

"Anyway I can't save every suffering thing I come across and that's something I've got to face before I'm 40. Which gives me three months."

She took a steadying breath and shrugged the whole past two days away. "When I spent time in the East I found the reputation of the Kaijitsu's Rusty Dragon Inn here in Sandpoint had traveled far. Or did you have another venue in mind?"

She prayed he would not name one of the rough looking taverns, particularly with the penchant for loose insults he'd already displayed.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-23-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: RUSTY Dragon
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default Jack at the Grocery

John Merriman wandered down the road, drawn to the Grocer's Hall. It was only a 'hall' on days with bad weather. Today, the wide oilskin 'walls' were rolled up, and tied under the eaves of the simple, slanted roof. Heavy, scratch-built tables were arranged in rows, and laden with colorful and fragrant produce of all types, along with fresh, prepared meats. Most of these tables were attended by the families that grew the food being offered, and many of them were branded with colorful, decorated signs naming the farms that those families worked.

Everywhere in the open market, Sandpointers milled about, sniffing, squeezing, inspecting, and haggling. A busy day at the market meant extra money for the farmers, and a fun time at the festival.
    Last edited by SuperBall; 08-22-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Default Goraxis at the Red Dog Smithy

Goraxis dipped into the shop. It was dark, except for the forge's glow. Milky orangey-red light touched everything: he anvil, the racks of tools, and the blacksmith. He was the biggest man that Goraxis had seen in a long time. He was tall, and heavily muscled beneath his heavy leather apron, arms scarred from forge-burns. He stopped hammering to regard the Dwarf, bright-hot iron in one hand.

His face split into a wide grin. "Are ya here on festival business?" He asked, over the low roar of the forge. " Das Korvut's the name, Master...?"

Victaria looked from the gold coin on the table to the man walking away, an internal debate raging inside her. She should stay, she thought. She needed money, and she wasn't gonna get it by going to an inn. But the man had been so polite and...mysterious. A northerner, all the way down here! She could learn so much, maybe she could even write about it. She dreamed of being published. Some day the libraries that she spent so much time in would have books by Victaria Grey, she knew it.

It was still very early, she told herself. She didn't need to be here now. Besides, who was she fooling, she wasn't going to get any business here. That one lonely little gold coin on the table would be her only one all day. She hastily began collecting the papers, parchment, and inks that had scattered around the table. She took one and wrote: "Currently Out, Please leave your name and a place to contact you and I will get back to you. Thanks!"

"Hey! W-wait up!" she called after the man. Erik, she believed was his name. She hurried to follow him, excited and nervous all at once.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)