Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Island of Dr. MacGuffin Planner

Default Were you going to eat that?

All right,

Jes and I have collaborated and we've decided we're both Chelaxian. We're not sure if we knew each other in our home country or if we met at the carnival, but in any case, we were buds at the carnival. Then one day Jes (a catperson) made the mistake of accidentally eating Dr. MacGuffin's raven familiar. We decided a quick getaway would be prudent and as a small conciliation, I took Cato the monkey.

Jenny

Post Guidelines Re-Vamped for Level 1/Smoother Character Creation & Gameplay

Simoriah and Jes,

I love it, nice melding of backstories and class features!

It would work well if other players wanted to meet Dr. M disguised as Carvel. His Carnival traveled to every country at one time or another, and that could explain how your characters met.

Okay, NEW character building guidelines:

Changes to Character Building Guidelines for Dr. M:

A) Build your character at Level 1.

B) Choose from these 12 races ONLY:

Elves (+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con)
    Dwarves (+2 Wis, +2 Con, -2 Cha)
    Humans (+2 any stat)
    Half-Elves (+2 any stat)
    Half-Orcs (+2 any stat)
    Halflings (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str; Small)
    Gnomes (+2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Str; Small)
    Catfolk (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis, cat people)
    Kitsune (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Strength, shapechanging fox people)
    Strix (+2 Dex, -2 Cha, winged human w/ mottled black or dark blue skin)
    Tengu (+2 Wis, +2 Dex, -2 Con, blackbird people)
    Vishkanya (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis, alluring human w/ tiny snake scales & golden snake eyes)

C) Use ONLY 3 books to build your character: Core Rulebook, Advanced Player’s, and the Race Guide. (No more Ultimate Magic, no more Pirates of the Inner Sea Guide. Hopefully this means less reading, definitely less choices of Feats, Traits, and class archetypes.)

D) The 10 available Traits are:

1)Armor Expert: Reduce your Armor Check Penalty by 1 point, to a minimum of 0.

2)Deft Dodger: +1 on Reflex saves.

3)Reactionary: +2 Initiative rolls (to see which team goes first in combat, yours or the enemy).

4)Resilient: +1 on Fortitude saves.

5)Dangerously Curious: +1 on Use Magic Device Skill Checks & it becomes a Class Skill.

6)Child of the Streets: +1 on Sleight of Hand Skill Checks & it becomes a Class Skill

7)Rich Parents: Increase your starting gold from 2,000 gp to 2,900 gp.

8)Eyes & Ears of the City: +1 Perception & it becomes a Class Skill.

9)Indomitable Faith: +1 on Will saves.

10)Militia Veteran: +1 Survival Checks OR Ride Checks OR Profession Soldier Checks& it becomes a Class Skill.

E) BOONS from Dr. MacGuffinare OPTIONAL. Instead you may take a free suit of +1 magic armor (which means it is considered magic and has +1 more bonus to armor protection compared to normal armor) OR any +1 magic weapon (it is considered magic and has +1 more bonus to attack and damage) of your choosing.

F) BOONS
    from Dr. MacGuffin are simplified.
    Cyborg BOONS are NOT available. Choose *NEW: Scarab Dancer, Electric Eel Parts, Octopus Parts, or Honey Badger Parts. Then pick ONLY ONE advantage from among the three that are listed for that particular mutation/implant.

1) Scarab Dancer: Operations on your joints allow you to twist and spin, dancer like, through a battlefield.

Advantage: Gain the Special Attack Distraction (as the Monster Ability in Bestiary p. 299). Each enemy you damage in melee combat must make a DC 14 Fort Save or be nauseated for 1 round. (Nauseated creatures can take only a move action on their turn, and can do nothing requiring concentration such as an attack, spellcasting, or Skill Checks.

WHY THAT'S GOOD: Your wounded enemy practically loses his turn and becomes vulnerable to your allies if he fails his save.

2) Eel Parts: Three abdominal organ implants made up of electric receptors (like an electric eel's) give you the power to produce, absorb, OR detect electricity and electronic signals (see below).

Advantage #1: Energy Resistance 10 vs electricity damage (negates 10 points of electricity damage)

WHY THAT’S GOOD: Electricity is one type of elemental damage that a spell or special ability of your enemy or his weapon may inflict on you. Normally there is no difference between electricity damage and non-magical weapon damage as far as how it affects your Hit Points: every 1 point of damage knocks your Hit Point total down by 1 point. BUT with this BOON it takes 11 or more points of electricity damage to harm you. So for example on a damage roll of 3d6, if the result is 12 you take only 2 points of damage and if the result is 10 or less you just feel a mild tingling that doesn’t harm you AT ALL.

OR, Advantage #2: Special Attack (Extraordinary): Shock 1/round up to3/day, deliver 3d6 electricity damage. This can be delivered as a melee touch attack (No save vs damage, but Fort save DC 16 to negate being Dazed 1 round). OR it can be delivered as an immediate reaction when hit by a natural or melee attack. +3 to your attack roll vs target wearing or holding metal.

WHY THAT’S GOOD: You can use your Standard Action to attack your enemy with your electricity charged hand for 3d6 damage, instead of attacking them with a normal weapon. Or, if your enemy attacks you, you can punish them by sending them 3d6 electricity damage the exact instant that they touch you. You can do either one 3/day (the 24 hours in ‘game time’---spells and abilities “reset” in the morning), 1 time each round (each turn).

OR, Advantage #3: Special Ability Electrogenesis (Extraordinary): Lifesense (same as the lifesense Oracle of Life ability p. 49 of Advanced Player’s). You detect living creatures* within 30 ft.You do so via electrolocation receptors that pick up the faint electric signals sent by all living creatures [*excludes elementals, undead, & some aberrations that do not have normal muscles & brains].

WHY THAT’S GOOD: Some enemies are good at Stealth (moving silently) and will try to sneak up on you—they may even be invisible from some spell. Or some enemy might “play dead” to try to trick you. With this BOON, you can detect something alive within 30 feet (six squares) of where you are. (These electric living signals are NOT given off by creatures of the following type: elementals, undead, and some aberrations, so you CANNOT detect them with lifesense.)

3) Octopus Parts: The splicing of your skin cells with those of an octopus gives you an exceptionally tough hide, OR a hide able to change its color & physiological contours at will, providing incredibly effective camouflage. OR, you have an octopus-like ink sac on the back of your neck.

Advantage #1: Tough Hide: +1 natural armor to Armor Class.

WHY THAT’S GOOD: The higher your Armor Class, the harder it is for an enemy to succeed on an attack roll against you. So +1 to your Armor Class from tough hide is better protection.

OR, Advantage #2: Metachrosis At will ability (Extraordinary): It takes 1 full-round action to blend with the color and texture of your surroundings. +10 to Stealth checks to hide, even in plain sight.

WHY THAT’S GOOD: You make a Stealth Check to hide or move silently with a d20 plus the total of your Stealth Skill Check, and your enemy makes a Perception Check to try to detect or locate you. With this BOON, you are BETTER at hiding or moving silently because of your supergood camouflage, and the enemy is more likely to fail at spotting you. You can avoid them entirely, surprise attack them, or Sneak Attack them if you have the Sneak Attack class ability.

OR, Advantage #3: Special attack: Ink Sac. The ink sac behind your neck can be aimed over your shoulder at a single foe's face within 15 ft. After a successful ranged touch attack as a standard action, the foe coated in the ink is blinded for 1 round (no saving throw) and cannot use the scent ability to locate you (or anyone) for 1 hour. Usable 3/day.

WHY THAT’S GOOD: If your enemy is blinded by your ink, there is 50% chance they will miss you when they try to attack you. So they roll a d20 for the miss chance first, and if they don’t get 11 or better, they missed and can’t hit you that turn! Some foes can sniff you out with a special ability called scent, but this ink will put a stop to that for 1 whole hour. If you retreat, tracking you (or anything) will be much harder.

4) Honey Badger Skin OR Claws OR Danger Sense: Your skin is spliced with the tough hide of a honey badger. OR, your abnormally large hands/feet have retractable claws that excel at digging.

Advantage #1 Danger Sense: Gain Uncanny Dodge (as the barbarian or rogue ability in Core Book p. 34). Thus you cannot be flanked or caught flat-footed, and you don’t lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (AC) if your attacker is invisible. (You still lose your Dex bonus/become flat-footed if you are immobilized by, e.g., an effect like paralysis.)

WHY THAT’S GOOD: Normally your enemy can gain +2 flanking bonus to attack rolls against you by sandwiching you between him and his ally. (Flanking means they stand facing one another in exact opposite squares on the combat grid/battle map.) And normally an enemy can target your lower “Flatfooted Armor Class” by a surprise attack, a Sneak Attack (see Rogue’s entry in Core Book p. 68), and other methods. But with this BOON, the enemy is almost always forced to try to beat your higher, regular Armor Class with his d20 attack roll.

OR, Advantage #2: Bonus Ability Natural Digger (Extraordinary): You gain a burrow speed of 30 ft, and you can dig a trench or tunnel into even the hardest earth (not stone) in 10 minutes.

WHY THAT’S GOOD: Normal creatures are not fast diggers. They might spend an hour or more with a shovel creating a tunnel or trench or digging something out of the earth---or they might be unable to break through hard earth at all without help or many long and tiring hours. But with this BOON you can effortlessly move right down through the earth, or not waste more than 10 minutes to get through even frozen or hardened earth. It could make you an escape tunnel or an entry tunnel, an ambush trench or trap, etc.

OR, Advantage #3: Bonus Ability: Orc Ferocity (like the half-orc racial ability in Core Book p. 25). 1/day when you are below 0 Hit Points (HP), you can fight on for one more round. During that round you gain the staggered condition (you take only free, swift, and immediate actions plus ONE standard OR move action, and you lose 1 HP and fall unconscious at the end of that extra round).

WHY THAT’S GOOD: Normally once your Hit Point total has dropped under 0, you instantly fall unconscious and can no longer take actions/turns until someone heals you. You are helpless, prone to murder or more likely theft or capture. But with this BOON, you can stay on your feet! You can use your extra turn to keep fighting (won’t the enemy be surprised). Or you can use your extra turn to drink a healing potion (there will be many) to get your Hit Points back above 0, or whatever you want.

G) No Prestige Classes. (You weren’t going to reach a level where the good stuff kicked in anyway.)

That’s it, folks. I hope the fewer options and less reading over all makes the character building and in-game stuff more smooth. Please keep shooting questions to me and I’ll get back to you ASAP.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-20-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: spacing, Catfolk get +2 CHA, NEW BOON!
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Exclamation Party Shaping Up Great! New Start Date Wed. Aug. 21

So far our party sounds pretty motley and hilarious:

1) A strix druid w/ some thief abilities & a monkey familiar called Cato (Jen)

2) A catfolk oracle of the wind mystery and haunted curse (followed around by the ghost of Hush: a spiteful raven familiar) (Jes)

3) Riddley Spoonsworth, fighter and wannabe knight with Terry Pratchett like mannerisms (Will)

4) Twin kitsunes, one sniper rogue and one tiger-mounted cavalier (Jazmin & Joker)

Our NEW start date for first in-character posts is Wed. Aug. 21st.

That day works best for some players, and our hardworking mastermind behind these forums is on a well-deserved vacation this weekend and can't put up new subforums till next week or so.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-21-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Default Wishing everyone good adventuring....and seeing if I can post. :)

So good to see everyone. I am super excited about this.
    Jessica

Talking Welcome, Jessica!

Great to see you posting, welcome to the mayhem, Jessica!

Ooh, with the number of people taking electric eel boons, your party could be the "Electric Mayhem!" No, wait, that's the Muppets' Band, isn't it? Curses!

Do start thinking about a name for your adventuring party, won't you all?

If not I'll stick you with something myself like "The Cunning Crew," or "The Six-Fingered Hand," or "The Fast and the Furriest." Don't make me do it!

Exclamation Character Sheet Drafts by TONITE, Game Starts Wed. Morning!

Almost ready to start, folks!

Don't forget to email me a rough draft of your character sheet by 9 pm TONITE! (Unless you've already posted it on the Character Sheet thread, in which case, THANKS!)

If you don't have a rough draft, just send me your choice of race, class, Traits, Feats, and any BOON or equipment you've chosen. In that case I will generate a rough draft for you, and we will work out the details together via phone/IM/e-mail/Skype/middle man.

Remember, you will have the opportunity to make changes to everything except your race and class later, so just git 'er done today & it need not be perfect.

All character sheets must be posted Tuesday by 1 am! Or else your character winds up alone on another part of Dr. MacGuffin's Island to be met up with later.

If our subforum is not up by Wednesday morning, no big deal. I will still start a new thread labeled "Prologue and Chapter One" that sets the scene where your characters wake up on the Island.

Please try to come up with something your character did on the ship with Count Mairchild before you were knocked out & deposited on the Island , or I will do it for you. This is just for storytelling and starting to establish your personality, and may be used to try out a Skill Check like Persuasion or Sleight of Hand. (See my e-mail for suggestions.)

Wed. before noon the game will begin, and first posts (one or more) will be welcome!
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-21-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Your activity on the ship for the Prologue, tell me!

Updated
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Exclamation Character Sheets by Tues. 9 PM, PLEASE!

Thanks, SuperBall!

As for the rest of you... ::cracks whip::

If we're going to start Wednesday morning, you must post your character sheets in the Character Sheet thread by Tuesday 9 pm!

I don't want to lose momentum by pushing our start date back a third time if we don't have to. If only two people are missing, we'll start anyway and catch up with them later.

Don't sweat whether your backstories and gear lists are perfect or even complete, just get the gist down on paper and let's roll...

Exclamation See you in Golarion Wednesday morning!

Well, Folks,

Thanks for all your hard work with the character sheets. I have rough drafts for two and full drafts for three, and that's good enough for everyone to begin in the same round of posts at the same in-game location---HUZZAH!

Together, we will rock!

Your adventuring party shall be "Fortune's Hand," with an office in Andoran established by your founder and benefactor, a 350-year-old female elven bard named Nali Ashtar.

At that office Count Mairchild will have met you and hired you, and you will set out on his ship Fairwinds to track down his son. Only to awaken somewhere other than your shipboard cots...and the adventure truly begins with your first in-character posts!

Can't wait to meet your characters, they all sound so intriguing and humorous!

A last note: many of you are trying out Pathfinder and play by post at the same time. As far as running a play by post, this will be my first rodeo, too. So thanks in advance for taking the ride with me!

You'll do great! Can't wait to start. Between Tahla and Runelords, I'll need a little comedy in my life!
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!