Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Island of Dr. MacGuffin Planner

Default Slick's Backstory/Accent Input

Quote Originally Posted by UngainlyDodge View Post
    Please sound off in this planner about whether you want your character to start off in an adventuring party who already knows each other: Yay or nay?
    I think we should all know each other. Or maybe not all of us. I think most us should know each other. If there is "one" stranger in the group, it might make things interesting, but I'd still probably want that person to still end up being loyal to the group.

As far as accents, my brother is convinced he wants to have a French accent. So, it appears we will be a twin Kitstune/Taldans. (Mind you, I'm quite partial to any culture with Nordic tones so I might change his mind, but I doubt it.)

I'd like to be in an adventuring party. And I want the octopus ink & camouflage boons.

And we should have a new player soon who's been a D&D Dungeonmaster, my friend Jess!

Post 6 Character Sheets Aug. 10

Huzzah! That brings us to a full party of 5 players! Sorry if this leaves anyone out, but five is the limit for this one.

If possible I'd like character sheets by Aug. 10 or 14, start Aug. 17!
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-21-2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Extensions
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

I vote that we all know each other. I think that I wasn't clear on some of my ideas. When I post a sheet tomorrow or Thursday, have a look at the backstory, and tell me what you think. I feel like I can write some of my ideas into my character without conflicting with the rest of the party.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Lightbulb Backstory Suggestions: Doctor Who?

To help you figure out how you met the Doctor and escaped...

A few of the lives (aliases) of Dr. MacGuffin (I left the locations vague because I don't yet know what everyone's country of origin is):

Dr. MacGuffin’s true form (if you ever saw or heard tell of it) is an elderly but spry and sharp-eyed, 250-year-old gnome with four arms (two hidden when he’s in public). Lime green hair rises from his scalp like a squat flame and a trim green beard outlines his chin. He favors a sky blue lab coat and matching gloves made of thin rubbery hide. He leans forward when he walks, always eager and purposeful, though he tends to pause and question himself out loud.

Dr. Dashiel Schrecken (Elf physician)
    Until recently he operated in Andoran as Dr. Dashiel Schrecken, a handsome blonde elven physician whose clinic was a remodeled jail. Secretly he had the cell bars and shackles re-installed in the cellar for his (almost always unwilling) experimental subjects. The constant tunes of large music boxes which Dr. Schrecken called part of his “therapy regimen” masked any strange sounds from the cellar. The eloquent, highly educated doctor specialized in revolutionary mechanical limbs to replace what had been lost through disease or severe injuries. When someone alerted the Andoran authorities about his captives, the doctor and his six half-orc assistants (three female) abandoned the facility before the watchmen broke down his door.

Mama Rossi (Halfling witch)
    Before that, Dr. M masqueraded as a theatrical Varisian (Romanian gypsy-like) Halfling witch called Mama Rossi. A copper circlet hugged her black and white curls, and copper bangles jangled from her wrists, ankles, and ears. But some folks swore she could move silently as a cat when she chose, and they were right. Four oxen pulled her long wagon train with seven cars, each the size of a small house and draped in black velvet with sequins forming constellations. A silky banner over the driver’s seat proclaimed Mama Rossi specialized in youth potions, removing curses, and telling fortunes.

Her experimental subjects were typically kept sedated and handcuffed to railings in the last two cars. Heavy layers of drapery with silence spells on them obscured the car windows. Her entourage consisted of six seemingly mute half-orcs in turbans (the males) and veils (the females) who might juggle, tumble, or dance for onlookers. If any of Rossi’s “patrons” escaped her custody, she brazenly passed off their abnormalities as part of her cure for their curse. If ever a mob formed to chase her from town, their torches found nothing but dead grass where her carts had rested---with no tracks leading away from the spot.

Carvel (Dwarf freak show operator)
    Between gaudy Mama Rossi and cultured Dr. Dashiel Schrecken he was simply Carvel: a sly, scraggly red-bearded dwarf with a few gold teeth who ran a freak show. The keeper of Carvel’s Marvelous Carnival showed a fondness for riddles but a sullen temper when he was stumped for more than a day. A few of his subjects (particularly those from exotic races) received decent wages to sit in cages entertaining gawkers in his striped tents. But others he worked on clandestinely in labyrinthine subterranean caverns near his campsites. Six clown face-painted half-orcs staked up the tents and took them down in each village, when they weren’t swathed in black and acquiring, guarding, or feeding his latest cyborg and mutant projects.

Carvel also showed off caged jungle animals and sea creatures gliding through tanks. Some had obvious oddities like winged serpents while others appeared normal yet impressive. The dwarf nearly always kept an animal on his shoulder, perhaps a snake. But his most prized companions were Hush the ingenious raven familiar and Cato, a clever monkey he kept on a gold leash. It was a dark day when Hush and Cato (among others in Carvel's care) disappeared. The ringmaster bullied the locals with interrogations and impromptu searches in their homes and shops using his half-orcs and some corrupt watchmen. The incident forced the Carnival of Marvels to flee in the night before his victims could prosecute.

I believe our strix druid met Dr. M as Carvel. Others are welcome to meet him at the same time and escape together, or just meet up later. If you are feeling super creative, you can make up an alterego for Dr. M yourself (who has clearly mastered some form of the spell alter self).

But so far the consensus seems to be you somehow join forces before you wake up on the Island.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-15-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: corrections, Hush the raven
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Sheet's Posted

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

I'm going to reformat my sheet the way that you want it as soon as I have the time. Not sure that I can help you on the font thing, until I get hold of a laptop.

Exclamation Sheets

SB,

No, stop! You do NOT have to reformat your character sheet! I can read it easily and so can you and that is all that matters. Also it shows the others that theirs doesn't have to look so complicated once it's finished. The font thing was a mere suggestion for looks, it's NOT required.

I just made that sample sheet for my newest players who have not done pbp yet---welcome again, folks, and thanks for joining!

Also your backstory works well as is, SB, thanks! Maerlyn's Claw and knightly aspirations, I like it! And there's an NPC who should appreciate it, too.

Stay posted for more beginner-friendly descriptions of Doctor MacGuffin's BOONS as well, by 10 pm today.

5:24 PM: OKAY, I posted them, the BOONS are re-explained in Character Guidelines & Recruitment Thread.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-15-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: BOONS re-explained, 10 pm

Exclamation Final Revised Dates

Folks,

There have been understandable delays with forum queues and events in people's lives and the newness of the system. So here are new, final dates for Dr. M:

Post your character sheet by Sat. Aug. 17 if you can.

Before that date please e-mail it to me for examination and feedback. And I'm eager to help you build as well, given five of us are new to Dragonlance Forums and four of us are new to Pathfinder.

On Wed. Aug. 21, I will post the Prologue and "Chapter One" introduction and you'll be free to submit your first in-game post.

Then it's tally-ho and sally forth!

P.S. If you cannot "git 'er done" by these dates, no sweat---the others will begin play without you and have a reunion with you elsewhere on the Island.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-21-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Bring it on.