Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Island of Dr. MacGuffin Planner

Post Island of Dr. MacGuffin Planner

Collaborations and out of character discussions welcome here!

A word on the setting and how the adventure began which might give you somewhere to start on backstories (though you should feel free to be from anywhere on Golarion).

Dr. M's private tropical island is located in Mediogalti (see map in the Pirates Inner Sea Guide) near the perpetual hurricane Eye of Abendego. You will be able to deduce this from the circumstances surrounding your arrival...

Before awakening in your predicament, your party was on the ship Fairwinds bound for the lawful capital city of Ilizmagorti with a client. You met this client, (British-like) aristocrat Count Owain Mairchild in his native land of Andoran. (Perhaps in the Andoran capital your adventuring party has rented an office space?)

Shipping tycoon Count Mairchild came to you asking for help finding his lost fifteen-year-old son, Davey. (Davey had stolen a magic item of considerable power and stowed away on a ship belonging to the Patriotic Pirate-Hunters of Andoran. His ambition was to prove he was ready to join their ranks. He'd left a note to his father explaining this.) But the Pirate-Hunters' ship returned without him.

The Count handled all your travel arrangements and accompanied you on his own ship. Your host's manner has been jovial, airily twirling his handlebar moustache and humming sea chanties on the voyage. Given the chance he boasts non-stop about his only son. He seems completely confident that Davey will be recovered, and tells you your role will be that of investigator and bodyguard. As a reward he has already given you a Type I bag of holding to share (Core Book p. 500).

Savvy?
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-14-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

Considering it is the lifelong ambition of my character to be a pirate, I can't see this ending well...
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Post Pick a Boon, Any Boon!

I'd like all my players to announce their choice of boons here.

I don't mind if you pick the same ones, though some variety may help you work together better as a team.

See Character Building Guidelines post for full explanation of each mutation/implant BOON (3 types: Eel Part, Octopus Parts, & Honey Badger Parts) and the three advantages associated with each., Choose ONE advantage from one of the three types.

SB,

Thanks so much for starting your concept---we'll develop this over PM. I'm not opposed to changing my frame story away from helping a Pirate-Hunter find his son, but I'd like to discuss how to fit your PC in with the party in a cooperative role.

Unless of course my other players would like to be pirates in training, and if so, shout it out here! OR, if you'd like to be Pirate-Hunters and I'll do less rewriting?

As to the other story point, we could even go so far as to have folks wind up on the island more by accident than by Dr. MacGuffin's design.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-14-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: BOONS simplified
    "Fall into my pit trap, shame on you. Fill my pit trap with bloodthirsty sharp-toothed goblins with abyssal templates, shame on me." ---SuperBall

We should be getting at least two new players soon, Jazmin and her brother! They are new to D&D but excellent writers.

Talking Welcome, New Recruits!

::Pins medal on Simoriah:: For excellent recruiting! Thanks to you and Jazmin, I anticipate we will have five players, if not six!

Please join me in giving the new talent a warm welcome during their first visits to Dragonlance forums!

::Chorus of "Welcome to the Jungle"::

Default I'm the Smart One

Hi Everyone!

I'm Jazmin--though, my friends pretty much call me Jaz. This will be my first foray into the art of online TRPG, but I'm like mega excited.

All ready, my sib and I have decided to be twins. We're not sure what kind of twins. We think we're going to have some kind of empathetic ability like Jen does with her monkey, but that entirely depends on whether I can convince him that we actually need two bodies. (He likes Shel's idea of being a two-headed being. I think that will only instigate a form of murder suicide. )

Oh, and I'm fairly certain we're going to be kitsunes. Though, I will rare be for my species in that I frown. And even when I smile, I frown.

That's all we've come up with just yet. We're still trying to learn our way around the Pathfinder world, etc. I mostly play DA and he mostly sticks to Magic--so bare with us! We will try to get our asses in gear by our scheduled start date.

Nice to meet everyone!

(Note: Bro has already made his account. Is waiting for the Dragonlance moderators to approve him for posting.)
    Last edited by SlickCiggy; 07-31-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Thumbs up Welcome, SlickCiggy! And New Boons and Simplified Mechanics in the works.

::Pins matching medal on SlickCiggy:: For stellar recruiting! Glad to have you and your brother aboard, and can't wait to develop the twin concept with you.

I've got some mechanics simplifications in the works and will post them in a separate thread most likely. I'll need to update my sample character sheets later today.

I'm taking a page from D&D 4th edition by combining certain skill sets for ease of play.

Bluff, Diplomacy, & Intimidate will ALL now be a single skill: Persuasion. When posting, be sure to flavor it as one of those three by your tone, attitude, body language, etc.

Acrobatics, Climb, Ride, & Swim will also be a single skill: Athletics.

New BOONS now available in honor of our expanding party, see Character Building Guidelines thread.
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-14-2013 at 09:38 PM.

I'm going to take the electricity powers. I'm starting to see that your ideas may have had some kind of integrity with your chosen mechanics house rules that I didn't see before. I am going to take a closer look at the metaplot that you've laid out. I feel kind of bad for being so vociferously against it, but a Human may not fit well into this game concept. I can't believe Im saying it. Going to try and get a character up tonight (my time).
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

Cool Races, Classes and Boons I

SB,

Humans are still welcome and won't fit any worse than any other race. (I should never have banned them, I only thought playing a different race would provide a more uniquely enjoyable experience--but you can't mandate a good time.) It could even be fun to roleplay the bemusement of being a human suddenly surrounded by so many odd creatures and being unable to tell which part of them came from Dr. M. Humans just don't enjoy any advantages for being human on an island of misfits (everyone gets a bonus first level feat, e.g.). Plus, our strix comes with "favored enemy human," but I'm sure she wasn't going to hold that against anyone.

Everybody,

Sound off on races/boons/classes so far:

So far we have a strix druid (boon unknown) and a fighter with the Electrogenesis boon (race maybe human, maybe not) and a possible kitsune (boon/class unknown) and a possible rogue (boon unknown/race maybe kitsune).
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 07-31-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Lightbulb Countries/Cultures of Origin for Backstories

Please sound off in this planner about whether you want your chracter to start off in an adventuring party who already knows each other: Yay or nay?

*Backstory hints: For those unfamiliar with the setting who want to give their character a particular accent or heritage, here are Golarion's regional cultures and their nearest Earth equivalents as I see them:

Azlanti (Ancient Mesopotamians/Greeks, largely vanished, descendants spread over Golarion)

Chelaxians (Germans or Russians or Bavarians, country called Cheliax)

Garundi (Egyptians, main country is Osirion)

Kelesh ites (Turks/desert Moors, main countries are Katapesh & Qadira)

Kellids (Neanderthals/cavemen, main country Realm of theMammoth Lords)

Mwangi (Africans, region is the Mwangi Expanse)

Shoanti (Native Americans, widespread but countries areBelkzen/Varisia/Lands of Linnorm Kings)

Taldans (Europeans, especially France & Great Britain, countries called Taldor & Andoran)

Tians (China/Japan, country is Tian Xia)

Ulfen (Nordic barbarians/Vikings, countries are Irrisen& the Land of the Linnorm Kings)

Varisians (Roma/gypsies, country is Varisia)

Vudrani (India/Bangladesh, country is Vudra)
    Last edited by UngainlyDodge; 08-14-2013 at 09:39 PM.