Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 270

Thread: Anvil of the Gods

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Gat blanched at Slackers question about necromantic kobolds. "Why, no! I haven't, and I hope not to," he said with obvious worry on his hair covered face, as his darted from one side of the road to the other, seeking what Slacker had warned of.

    Discovering that he was probably victim of the boy's wild imagination, he sighed. "You boys are more than welcome to join me on my journey into Northgate. In fact, there is room for one of you to ride with me on the wagon, if you'd like, but the other would have to walk. But not to worry, Fido is not a race pony! Hahaha!" he laughed. "Maybe you could take turns."

    "Oh, my manners!" he exclaimed, "My name is Gat, and 'tis a pleasure to make your acquaintances. How is it that you don't know where you are from? Everyone is from somewhere. Myself, for example, I'm from Farohd, a settlement of Dubahli a long distance to the north of here, but more recently I reside near Peakwater Lake, not more than a days wagon ride to the west."

    This wouldn't be the first time Gat had picked up hitch hikers on the way into Northgate. He recalled another such time, picking up three travelers. As he recalled, they went on to fame and glory. What were their names? Taviah something, and the other one, and another guy? His memory was getting cloudy with every passing year. He wondered what these two boys would make of themselves.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    "Why, no! I haven't, and I hope not to..."

    "Well we do. Don't worry, Njord here will smash him," Slacker bragged, giving an acknowledging wag of his thumb up at Njord.

    "You boys are more than welcome to join me on my journey into Northgate. In fact, there is room for one of you to ride with me on the wagon, if you'd like, but the other would have to walk. But not to worry, Fido is not a race pony! Hahaha!" he laughed. "Maybe you could take turns."

    "Sure, I'll hop on!" Slacker volunteered. He kept listening to the kender as he mounted up behind him on Fido.

    "Oh, my manners!" he exclaimed, "My name is Gat, and 'tis a pleasure to make your acquaintances. How is it that you don't know where you are from? Everyone is from somewhere. Myself, for example, I'm from Farohd, a settlement of Dubahli a long distance to the north of here, but more recently I reside near Peakwater Lake, not more than a days wagon ride to the west."

    "Its great to meet you Gat. Uh, and Fido. And Gat, this is Aunt Addy." With Slacker behind him Gat couldn't see where Slacker was pointing. The rest of the information from Gat went in one ear and out the other as Slacker fidgeted and fiddled and settled in on top of Fido. He'd never ridden a horse before, that he could remember.

    "Don't worry Njord doesn't mind walking. Let's go!"
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Before Slacker could settle in on the back of Fido, the pony bucked and kicked with frustration, jerking his head back and nipping at the half-kender.

    "Oh, dear, lad. Fido doesn't like anyone to ride him!" Gat exclaimed, worried not for the pony, but for Slacker. "Please, sit here on the bench next to me on the wagon," he advised as Fido shot Slacker an evil look, as though he dared the half-kender to try to stay on him. Once the boy had joined him on the wagon, Fido calmed down and with a gentle nudge from Gat, they were on their way.

    Leaning over to Slacker, Gat whispered in Slacker's ear. "Your friend, he doesn't talk much, eh?" he asked, glancing at the tall warrior who matched Fido's stride easily, as the pony was indeed not a race pony.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Slacker shot Fido an evil look right back...that is, once Fido wasn't looking and Slacker was in the wagon.

    "Your friend, he doesn't talk much, eh?"

    Slacker leaned right back into the ear of Gat and whispered with the utmost secrecy and seriousness.

    "He talks when he wants. He kills when he wants."
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default The Road Less Traveled

    The wagon bounced along the road, sometimes jostling Gat’s cabbages to the point that the half-ling winced as though he felt the pain in his own body. However, when he glanced back to discover they were all well and good, he sighed in relief. The road wound through the countryside, with snow capped mountains in the background. The noisy wagon scarred off many animals, with deer and rabbits scurrying away from them as they approached. Fido pulled the wagon at an even pace, with Gat ensuring that the pony didn’t get ahead of himself, which allowed Njord to keep up with little effort.

    They had traveled for a few hours, when strange guttural noises came from the underbrush, just off the road to their right. Suddenly, the bushes bristled with activity as four creatures with a greenish gray skin, and coarse hair burst into the open. They had a stooped posture, low forehead, and a pig-like face with prominent lower canines that resembled boars tusks. They wielded wicked looking swords, resembling falchions, but the blades were more jagged, more dangerous looking. At the sight of the wagon, and those near it, the largest one barked something in a language only Gat seemed to understand.

    “Ack! They’re after my cabbages!” Gat screamed as though the vegetables were his living kin. Thinking quickly, he jumped from the wagon, and withdrew a sling, preparing himself to do battle with the marauders.

    OOC
    Perception Checks: Gat – 22, Slacker – 16, Njord – 18 (all hear noises from side of road)
    Initiatives:
    heroes 9 + 2 = 11
    creatures 6 + 0 = 6
    Heroes go first!

    Gat jumps from wagon, drawing sling and readies an attack on the first creature to show its ugly head! Slacker is still on the wagon seat at the start of initiative. Anywhere off of the road (in grey) is considered difficult terrain.

    Just a friendly notice that we will be using Critical Cards instead of other methods of reconciling critical hits & fumbles.


    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    "What would the world be like without plentiful cabbages?" Slacker thought to himself. He peeked. The creatures were bizarre. Were they like...a prayer like something Aunt Addy would say echoed through his mind.

    They look weird. Are they dead or kind of dead or what? Slacker whispered to himself fervantly, asking Aunt Addy, all business now that Gat's cabbages were under attack. Slacker's eyes became slightly blackened as if he hadn't slept for days. Carefully he peeked from the wagon at the creatures to see, hidden from sight as best he could.

    OOC
    standard: cast Deathwatch. will know instantly whether any creature is dead, fragile (alive with 3 or fewer hp), fighting off death (alive but injured with 4 or more hp), healthy, undead, or neither alive nor dead (such as a construct). Spell sees through any attempt to "feign death". Will last for ten minutes.
    move-equivalent: Stealth: to stay hidden in wagon: d20+9= nat 20 for 29. I like that .
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,328

    Default

    Njord took the gloves from Aegis, and smiled. "I will wear these with pride. I hope we do your gifts justice and find this anvil before this demon does." Njord said with a bow out of respect to the magus. Then suddenly they were whooshed away.

    They found themselves near a sign, the words were a jumbled mess to Njord. It seemed Slacker found a friend on the road and soon they had a traveling companion. Njord watched as Slacker asked the man a myriad of questions, ahhh Slacker Njord thought with another smile.

    During the trip to town, Njord didn't talk much. Instead he looked at his surroundings. It wasn't much different from their home but yet it was. He felt out of place but if this quest would help their home as well as this "world", Njord would do all he could to help.

    Suddenly from behind they were under attack. Gat said they wanted his cabbages. Not on my watch! Njord thought. If this was how Gat made a living he wasn't going to let some bandits take it from the man who has helped them. Njord moved around the wagon with lightning speed, his arm cocked back and his hand balled into a fist. He punched the first creature in the face with a bone crunching CRACK! "This little piggy should have stayed home! HAHA" Njord said loudly, preparing himself to assault the rest.

    OOC: Moving 1 square S, 1 square SE and 2 squares E to be infront of #1
    Unarmed strike at #1 1d20(12)+9= 21
    Assuming that hits 1d6(4)+7= 11 points of damage
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Casting his spell, Slacker was able to perceive what the conditions were for the monsters as his allies unleashed hell upon their foes. He tucked himself beneath the seat of the wagon, pulling his black robes over himself to add to his concealment. It seemed to work well for him, as one of the pig faced creatures stomped past him, rounding Fido toward where Gat whirled his sling defiantly. The pony snorted and stomped his hooves at the creature, but didn’t spook. Gat had trained him well, Slacker thought.

    Striding forward, Njord punched the creature before him with the might of a bear, catching it in the jaw. The Tarmak warrior heard its jaw break in a spine chilling crunch beneath his fist, then watched in satisfaction as it fell to the ground before him.

    The apparent leader of the raiding creatures barked an order then advanced into the battle himself, his sights set on Njord. Moving forward to engage the warrior, he brought his massive sword down on Njord’s shoulder, opening a wound that would have felled many other fighters less experienced than Njord. He leered and snarled in satisfaction as he pulled back his bloody blade and prepared to attack again. The final creature moved in to Njord’s right, but was less adept at warfare, his swing falling short as it approached.

    As the creature spotted Gat, the Halfling cackled with glee, sending his sling stone toward the orc with accuracy that his race was renowned for. “You stinkin’, smelly Orc beasts!” he hollered as the stone flew at his target, “You’ll never get my cabbages as long as I draw breath!” His stone caught the orc square on its prominent brow, opening a bleeding wound. The orc squealed in pain, stopping his advance to rethink his plan of attack.

    OOC
    Slacker: casts Deathwatch then Stealthily hides on wagon (Perception to be seen DC 29).
    Njord: Moves into position, attacks #1, 21 – hits! Does 11 damage, killing Orc #1
    Gat: Attack actions still readied.

    Monsters Turn!

    Orc #1: takes 11 damage, drops to ground unconscious and dying. Con check to stabilize, 7 – fail. He’s bleeding out and Slacker knows it!
    Orc #2: Moves 5’ forward as move action (not 5’ step due to difficult terrain), then attacks Njord with Falchion, 14 - miss
    Orc #3: Moves north and around wagon with chance to see Slacker. Perception Check, 12 – doesn’t see Slacker. Sets off readied action by Gat!

    Gat: Attacks #3 with readied Sling attack, 15 – hits! Does 4 points of damage to #3. Slacker knows that #3 is Fragile!

    Orc #4: moves 10 feet west toward Njord as move action, then attacks Njord with Falchion, 18 – hits! Does 8 point of damage to Njord, less 2 from DR 2/- for a total of 6 damage.


    NEXT ROUND!

    Last edited by Dorgyn Angylaxe; 07-22-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: edited Njord's damage with DR in mind!
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    “You stinkin’, smelly Orc beasts!” he hollered as the stone flew at his target, “You’ll never get my cabbages as long as I draw breath!”

    Slacker turned and drew his gem-encrusted dagger and hurled it at Gat's opponent.

    "Cabbage farmer revolt!"

    OOC
    throw dagger at #3 from hidden spot. d20+5= 23. 1d4+1= 4 damage, plus 1d6= 5 more damage if #3 denied Dex and allows sneak attack.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Slacker's dagger shot out from his hiding place, catching the Orc warrior in the neck. It grabbed for the dagger, dropping its weapon, and stared in the direction that it had come from, a look of shock on its face. But the wound was more that it could sustain. Its knees buckled, and it toppled to the dirt, blood pouring out of its neck and staining the ground crimson where it fell.

    "Nice throw, lad!" Gat whooped with pride at Slacker's attack.

    OOC
    Slacker: Orc #3 is denied his dex to you, thus doing 9 points of damage. Orc #3 drops, and Slacker knows he is dying.

    Still Njord this round, and Gat will take his turn before the remaining orcs.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •