Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Anvil of the Gods

Default Anvil of the Gods

Tsathzar Rho emerged from the vortex, his crimson robes covering his wilting flesh, protecting it from the harsh and scorching heat of the desert sun. Although he knew not where he had been transported, he had been informed that it was a world called Dryktara. His plans had not gone as he had foreseen, with his master fleeing Krynn to wherever it was he had just arrived. Rho had been summoned to this realm by Mixich’Talix, to aid the demon lord in recovering some artifact that his lord required to further his goal. Having been promised a huge reward for his efforts, Rho gladly obliged his liege. He had been warned that he could meet resistance to his efforts, but the kobold abomination sneered and evil smile.

“Let them try,” he hissed, covering his eyes from the bright light as he searched his surroundings for the sign he had been told to look for. “I will crush them beneath my feet,” he growled, followed by a hideous cackle that passed for laughter. In the distance, he saw what he had been looking for.

Turning to the west, Tsathzar Rho began to walk, his confidence building with each step. Yesterday he was on Krynn, today he was on Dryktara. Soon, all worlds would bow to his master. And his reward was that they would also bow to him…

Rho’s foul cackle echoed across the desert sands, like a wave across a calm sea.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

Default Chapter One

Aegis sat heavily into his chair, clearly the old man was haggard by his tale. “When the time comes, I will use the temporal powers of the rifts that form naturally throughout Dryktara, and transport you to a place called Northgate. It is a fortified village on the border of the Razorback Mountains and Kevelian Wastes. There you must seek out a man named Martus Bovey, a retired adventurer turned politician. Martus knows where the anvil is hidden, and may be persuaded to reveal the location if he can be convinced that the need is dire.”

“Once you glean the information from Martus, you can procure supplies in Northgate and embark upon your quest from there,” Aegis said, reaching again into the folds of his robes, and pulling out a small polished rock, etched with strange runes. “With this stone, I will be able to know of your location should you need me to. Just bring the stone out into the open, and I will be able to find you. It will also provide you with the proof you need to convince Martus that you speak for me, and should carry enough weight to sway the old campaigner to assist you. However, it can only be used a certain number of times before the magic within is expended, so use it wisely.”

“I will weave the spell to send you to Northgate in the morning, so tonight get some rest. You will need it,” the sorcerer said.

Njord ate his meal, with Fluffy watching expectantly the entire time, then stretched out on the floor. Slacker was too excited about everything, and rambled incessantly, keeping the others awake until Aegis cast the half-kender a glaring look that could have frozen water. Slacker clammed up quickly, and suddenly discovered that he was exhausted. Never had he felt so tired in his life, which he was about to explain to the others, when he felt a strange feeling inside. Sleep has sneaked up behind him when he wasn’t looking, and clobbered him on the head, for he was out like a candle on the breeze.

Morning broke over the little cabin by the lake, cascading gentle sunlight down upon the shore of the lake, turning the color of liquid gold momentarily. First to rise was Fluffy, who poked and prodded at Aegis who finally woke, and with the flick of a finger, opened the door to let the huge wolf out. Morning was an exciting time for Fluffy, as many of the woodland creatures he hunted became active again.

Next to wake was Njord. He had visions of a great battle, with swords clanging, and shields bashing. However when he opened his tired eyes, he discovered that it was merely Aegis rattling cooking pans and meal pottery. The old arcanist was working diligently on preparing another meal for his guests, which Njord would be more than happy to eat.

The last to roll out of his make shift bedroll on the floor before the fireplace was Slacker. He tossed and turned, grumbled at the noise being made, until his nose forced open his eyes. What ever it was that Aegis was cooking, and Njord was already eating, smelled delicious. And he was missing out! Even Aunt Addie seemed to nudge at him to get up out of bed and tackle the day!

“Today, you embark on a journey that is the most important of your lives,” Aegis said solemnly, eating the porridge in front of him. “To help you, I will enchant one item of your choice, in your possession. But choose wisely, for I will only be able to do so once for each of you,” he added, allowing the two heroes to think on it while they ate.*

OOC
    * Each of you may add a +1 bonus equivalent to one non-magical item in your possession. It need not be masterwork at this point, as the DM is saying 'make it so'!

It may be a weapon, armor, clothing, etc. – or – you may have an item such as a bag or backpack changed to be magical. The choice is yours! Please post your choice in the main thread, offering it to Aegis for enchanting.
    Last edited by Dorgyn Angylaxe; 08-06-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

Aunt Addy was nudging him out of bed but not making it easy, that is to say. Slacker fished through his belongings trying to hurry and not miss breakfast, but nothing was where it was supposedly to be or where he'd last left it. Finally, he sluggishly made it to the table. Eating woke him up, and Slacker stood and drew his rapier and laid it on the table.

"You can magick this?" Slacker asked with wonder.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Aegis took up the weapon, flipped it over in his hand, and examined it thoroughly. "An interesting choice. Just as the carpenter requires a well forged saw and hammer to build a house, so must a warrior have a weapon to defend those who cannot do so themselves," the sorcerer said. Laying the rapier down upon the table where they had eaten their breakfast, Aegis began to mumble and chant. His eyes rolled into the back of his head, and he wavered on his feet. A strange glow radiated from his down turned palms, and encompassed Slackers sword.

Suddenly, there was a flash, and the half kender turned his head to avoid being blinded by the bright light. When the light faded, he turned back to see his rapier, glowing on the table. "It is done. This is now to be known as Eleadon, the sword of Slacker. You will find that it strikes it mark easier, as well as inflicts more damage to its victims. And, it will generate light in the darkest of places*. May it serve you well."

Aegis turned and looked to the tall, blue warrior. "And what shall be your choice?" he asked.

OOC
    * Rapier glows a gentle blue light as with torchlight in the dark in addition to being a +1 Rapier. The weapon does not produce light enough to be noticed when sheathed, however, so it can be hidden when stowed.

Just waiting on Spas to move things along. Please indicate Njord's choice in this thread.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

Njord watched as Slacker's rapier began to glow from the magic. He had seen magic in his lifetime but he was taught at an early age to distrust it, especially the arcane, but Njord had seen the uses in magic and knew it had its place. Still he was skeptical and wasn't sure he wanted anything magic'd. He only wished he had more warpaint.

"I thank you Aegis for your generosity, but I have recently come into a different state of mind. I've begun new training techniques involving breathing, motion and striking. I still use my sword at times but this new style I have been practicing is soothing to my soul and armor has become useless to me." He pulled out the last vial of his paint. "Unless you can reproduce more of this for me, make me harder to hit or make my fists glow like Slacker's sword, I might have respectively decline your offer." The large man said with a bow out of respect to the mage. "And if you can't help me, I give my turn to Slacker. If that is okay with you."
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

Aegis regarded the blue warrior with an impressive air. “Your willingness to give up your boon to your friend is commendable, Njord of Krynn,” Aegis said. “The gift is for you as an individual, and thus must be accepted as such. “However, I think we can find something that will serve you as you follow the path before you both.”

Pulling out a pair of gloves from the folds of his robes, he laid them upon the table. “Unfortunately, I am unable to craft the concoction within the vial for you, as it is important that you do so yourself to ensure its potency,” he said, regarding the war paint with interest, “I can, however, make your fists pack more of a….punch,” the last word he added with a wink. Waving his hands over the gloves, which appeared to be made of a material similar to silk, and were the color of an afternoon cloud, Aegis began is enchantment.

When he was finished, he handed the gloves to Njord. “These are Gloves of Yargreth, and will bind themselves to your being once they have been put on your hands,” he informed Njord. “They will serve you well, as they will increase your ability to hit your opponent, as well as make you tougher and able to withstand pain inflicted upon you. Once they are worn for a period of one month, they will infuse into your hand, thus allowing you to wear other gloves or gauntlets eventually, making them truly a part of you.”

OOC
    Njord receives Gloves of Yargreth: +1 to hit, +1 to damage when making an unarmed attack; DR 2/- ; After being worn for a period of 30 days, they are absorbed into the wearer, continuing effect, but not taking up a body slot. These abilities do not stack with other abilities of their kind.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

After making their selection, and once the proper time had passed for Aegis to enchant the items Slacker and Njord had chosen, the sorcerer called them to the edge of the lake. The surface of the water rippled as though in expectation of some great event. A gentle breeze caused the boughs of the massive pine trees to sway, filling the area with the sweet smell of pine, and the crisp scent of water lilies.

“It is almost time,” Aegis said, “And since there are no further questions,” he said, his eyes darting toward Slacker who was about to blurt out a cacophony of questions, but was cut off before he could do so, “We shall proceed with the incantation.”

“May the gods follow you and guide your path,” Aegis said almost as a prayer, holding his arms out from his sides, and closing his eyes. The water of the lake began to churn, and the wind began to swirl around them. A bright light flashed before them, causing both Njord and Slacker to close their eyes momentarily. They felt the sensation of falling, except that it was more like being pulled forward than downward.

When they opened their eyes they were no longer standing by the lake, with the cabin in the background. Instead, they were on a road. Not far up the path was a crossroads post with several signs on it. A hawk sat upon the top of the post, and upon seeing the two travelers appear, it screeched loudly, then took flight.

Before they could approach the crossroads, they heard what sounded like a cart or wagon lumbering their way. As they watched, a small single axled wagon, pulled by a stout pony made its way to the crossroads. At the reigns was a small individual, with curly brown hair, and massive sideburns that jutted out from his jowels angrily, as though they had a mind of their own. His feet were visible, and were bare but covered with more hair. The wagon was laden with what looked like green leafy balls of some kind.

Gat loved cabbages. In fact, most Dubahli, or Halflings as the humans tended to negatively refer to them as, loved cabbages. They would toil in their fields lovingly, growing the green vegetable with care, and when the time came to harvest, they would prepare the cabbages in many, many different ways. In soups with spices boiled to perfection, in stews with chunks of meat and potatoes, and even raw with other, lesser vegetables mixed in for color. They would add it to just about any meal conceivable, believing it to be the most versatile food known to exist on Dryktara. In their culture, it was considered a form of wealth and status to have cabbages.

As Gat rounded the corner, headed for Northgate with his load ready for market, Fido, his pony responsible for pulling his cart, caught a whiff of something strange. Spooked, Fido jerked furiously at the cart, causing it to lurch violently, and spilling several valuable cabbages onto the road.

“Dammit Fido!” Gat swore loudly, pulling with all of his might on the reigns in an effort to slow the spooked animal, his feet pressed against the boards of the wagon. “What’s gotten in ta ya?!?” Gat cried, finally able to force Fido to stop. Jumping down from the cart, the Dubahli frantically scrambled to gather his fallen treasures. “Oh, dear! Look what you’ve done to my cabbages!” he whined, putting his hands upon his head in dismay. Reaching down, he picked two up, and lovingly cradled them in his arms. Tucking one under his arm, he carefully brushed the dust and dirt from it, then inspected it thoroughly.

“They ain’t damaged much, I think,” he stated, relief filling his voice. “Yes, yes, no one will ever know,” he said, gathering his cabbages and putting them back on his cart. As he turned to board his wagon again, he spotted two figures on the road.

“Oh, hullo,” he said, meekly. He was unaccustomed to meeting others on the road leading into Northgate. Most travelers came from the south, heading north from Traders Gate, but Gat knew the northern route lead to Elvenwood, which was known to attract tourists.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

"Uh, hullo!" Slacker waved, after paying attention to what direction the eagle had flown. Slacker was walking forward. He assumed the figure was a kender, of course, and didn't hesitate to make conversation. "Say, stranger. Do you know where we are? What's that way? You wanna come with us and buy some cabbages if there's a town?" Slacker asked as he pointed in the direction the eagle had flown.

OOC
    Diplomacy check: d20+5= 9. (11 w/ undead).
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

Gat listened to Slacker ramble off question after question, attempting in between them to answer, but with no luck.

"Say, stranger. Do you know where we are?"

"Why ye..."

"What's that way?"

"Well, I...."

"You wanna come with us and buy some cabbages if there's a town?"

"No, I...." Gat began again, pausing to make sure that it was his turn to speak. This boy was unusually inquisitive, he noted, but was not surprised. Most boys were, regardless of whether they were human, elven, or halfling.

"No, I do not want to BUY cabbages. Rather, I'm headed to Northgate to SELL cabbages," he stated, emphasizing the key words and saying them slowly so that the boy would understand. "As for where we are, we are on the north road that leads to Northgate, which is also the direction that the hawk flew a few moments ago, AND the direction I'm headed. Who are you, and where are you two headed," Gat asked, examining the two with suspicion. He had never seen an elf as tall as he, nor as well built*.

OOC
    Gat: Perception Check to notice racial features of Slacker & Njord - 20, sees certain curiosities; Knowledge (local) - 18, assumes that Slacker is a human boy and Njord is an elven adolescent.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

"We're from..." Slacker paused, putting a finger to his chin, "..I'm not sure." SLacker scratched his head. "But I'm Slacker and this is Njord. And we'll walk with you to Northgate if you'll have us. Have you seen any deformed kobold devil necromancers around, by chance?"