Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Legacy of Blood (main thread)

Chapter 5: Endless Shades of Grey

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

-Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Ludwig

Dr. Ludwig Von Mordenheim opened the shutter to his rickety black carriage to gaze upon the view outside, as his driver Hubert led the two large draft horses along the seldom-used road overgrown with weeds. Ludwig looked through the glass and out and over a thousand foot high cliff of red granite down into the Lake of Red Tears, named for its waters reflecting off the red granite cliffs, making the water appear blood red. He had done it. Ludwig had reached the Forlorn Forest. In his nature classes at the University of Dementlieu, he had learned that the Forlorn Forest's herbal wealth was unmatched. As an herbalist, it was a forest Ludwig long sought to explore.

The carriage came to a sudden halt.

"Je'spanst!" he heard Hubert call, who was driving the horses. Hubert had been a driver in the service of the Mordenheim family for as many years as Ludwig could remember. The word meant "phantom", or "bogeyman".

"The horse! Is twitching his eye and won't move!" Hubert called out. The horses would likely go no further.

Ludwig made a calculated decision. Here he was, in the Forlorn Forest. He had heard stories of the accursed Castle Tristenoira on the farside of the Lake of Red Tears. But he was in a part of the forest far from there. The worst he might fear here were wolves, easily scared off by a loud gun shot. There were no towns in the forest, only a rumor of goblyns far to the south. He was in the perfect place to search for exotic herbs. With grim optimism, he donned his tall black hat and opened the door to his plush, cushioned carriage, stepping outside.

The flora was a dense forest of mixed evergreens and hemlocks. Oak, fir, black pine, and beech dominated the area he was in, with the occaissioal willow tree or yew. Small, thorny locust trees grew in thick tangles in many places. That is where many herbs would be, and poisons. Poison ivy, poison sumac, weep-my-lassie, hag's crepe mold, and a host of others found, most found nowhere else but this forest. Ludwig entered his carriage and changed into his doctor's outfit and mask for safety reasons. It would protect him from the poison ivy and thorns and other possible dangers. Grabbing his belongings, he entered the nearest grove of thorns in search of herbs.

Returning near nightfall, Ludwig was well stocked with many of the herbs he sought. Hubert was waiting for him. Tipping their hats to each other with a goodendach, they were on their way to their long trek back north, through the war-torn southwest region of Barovia, through Borca and Falkovnia. Or, there was the Musarde river...

In the end, Ludwig and Hubert backtracked to the road south towards Kartakass, sold their carriage and horses in Cortton for a ride on a river boat with one Captain Nathan Timothy down the Rithm River to Lake Pel, continuing on the Nharov River that separated the Tepurish Forest from the Border Edge Mountains of Sithicus. The Nharov river washed into the larger Gundar River, and together, Captain Nathan Timothy, Ludwig, and Hubert sailed through Invidia, passing the large city of Karina and Castle Lupet. They then sailed north through the forests of Verbrek where wolves howled at night, on through Richemulot and Piper's Bog, the city of Pont-A-Museau and Chateau de Marius Eibenal, castle of the Renier family. They sailed across Lake Kriegvogul along the southwest side, clear of the Falkovnian side of the immense lake. And finally, to the Musarde River, that led to the civilized lands of the north. Ludwig tipped his hat to Captain Timothy, who Hubert paid a small fee. In Port-a-Lucine, Hubert purchased a black carriage and two new draft horses.

Weeks later...

"He will live, won't he?" the damsel pleaded.

Ludwig was warm inside Schloss Aubrecker, and was being well paid to be here as doctor. Gerta was the warmly niece of his current patient. The two sat by the warm hearth as a blizzard roared outside. Gerta showed a polite interest in Ludwig's travels, but mostly, she was naively deluded that her uncle would live much longer. Ludwig had done all he could. The man was simply dying of old age. Who knew how much longer he would linger - perhaps a day, perhaps months?

Quickly Gerta rose and soon returned with dinner for Ludwig, an endless succession of worscht and ham, roasted goose, calf sweetbreads, venison stuffed with red cabbage, suarefleesch, schnad, sweet pastries, blood pudding, and a glass of kjinipse, a strong Lamordian dry liquor made nowhere else, but rapidly growing in popularity in Port-a-Lucine.

As she handed him the glass, he saw her hands trembled. She wrung her hands together, standing before Ludwig as the scent of all the food assaulted his nostrils, as the lovely damsel nervously awaited the doctor's reply. Gerta was dainty and lean with an attractive build and wiry limbs. She never smiled. She was tall, but not nearly as tall as Ludwig. She was blessed with a well-defined chin and cheekbones, her skin extremely fair. Sometimes, when she looked away, musing upon her bedridden uncle, only one eye strayed. The other seemed to stare directly at Ludwig, and glow a frosty shade of slate blue. Her slightly wavy, flaxen blonde hair was trimmed to a medium length - for short tresses were the mark of a harlot. She wore a heavy woolen dress with a high collar and long, tight sleeves, along with a snug, stiff white bonnet. All her clothes were devoid of color. Each day, she would be dressed in black, white, and endless shades of grey.

OOC
    Horse traits:
    Horse 1: nervous eye twitch, gruff and suspicious
    Horse 2: protruding chin, Courage feat
    Hubert the Driver traits: black hands, alcohol breath, multiple personalities, deluded
    Ludwig:
    Knowledge (nature) d20+16= 35. knows of all the possible valuable herbs and poisons in the Forlorn Forest.
    Profession (herbalist) checks (d20+8) and Perception checks (d20+10) to find them...
    Goblyn Lime 20, 16. Finds one dose of this poisonous fruit.
    Raineater Toadstool 21, 16. Finds one dose of this toadstool.
    Whiteshoot Root 18, 14. Finds one dose of this root.
    Baron's Bane 14, 16. Finds one dose of this poison oil.
    Tatterleaf Dust 14, 12. doesn't find a tatterleaf root.
    Tri-Poison Oil 28, 12. Finds all three minor poisons to mix together to have one dose of this poison oil.
    Deadly Nightshade 20, 23. Finds 3 doses of this poison.
    Erl Queen's Lace 28, 20. Finds 4 doses of this poison.
    Ghost Threads 26, 26. Finds patch of 8 ghost thread plants (8 doses), a very rare and supernatural poison.
    Mausskul Mushroom 23, 17. Finds one mushroom equalling 1 dose.
    Mournberries 20, 28. Gather bushel of 14 mournberries from a mournberry tree (14 doses)
    Red Worm Mushroom 13, 17. doesn't find a red worm mushroom.
    Weep-my-lassie 18, 28. finds 8 doses of this poison dewdrop.
    Hag's Crepe 23, 25. finds 6 doses of this poison, a poisonous herb-dust.
    Lung-Eater Puffball 15, 21. captures one floating spore of this fungus sprout, 1 dose of this inhaled poison
    Olc-blath Pollen 17, 25. captures two spores of this fungus sprout, 2 doses of this inhaled poison.
    Wight Fern Spores 21, 23. captures two spores of this fungus sprout, 2 doses of this supernatural inhaled poison.
    Details about these herbs and poisons will be up on the PF conversion and Ravenloft rules thread under a post "New Poisons".
    The search takes a day.
    The travel takes a few weeks.
    NEW HORSE TRAITS!
    Horse 1: hoofs quiver and shake, rude.
    Horse 2: rat-like features, strong opinions on politics
    Gerta traits: stray eye, strange glowing eyes, naive, no sense of humor.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 07-03-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Default Skurn

His first reaction was fear. Fear of being out of water, unable to pass the live-giving water over his gills, of dying flopping on the floor. But... he was on the floor. He could feel it under his back. Under his... head? His... FEET!?! GASP!!
    Skurn was himself again. But not alone. He had to think quickly.
    The woman.
    "Please... it's me... your Fish Eye." Skurn stretched out his hand to her, his eyes filling with tears.

"Help me..."

Hypnotic Gaze vs. Maiden Dapplewort - DC 12 Will
    Last edited by The McDungeonmaster; 07-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    "All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination."

Carl Jung

Skurn

Help me...

Madame Dapplewort's eyes filled with tears too. The assembled stared in shock. She could not help herself. She loved the fish she fed everyday, the way he would swim around and look at her when he was in his bucket when she changed his water. And when he was so happy when she dumped him back into a clean fish tank. She ran toward him and a took his hand.

"Yes, M'Lord Balfour," she obeyed. She dragged slinky wet Skurn toward the door by the arm.

"And clean this mess up! My apologies, Lord-Governor. Please forgive the annoyance," Lord Balfour was saying.

The old Lord-Governor waved it off as a mindless disturbance. Josette quickly went for a broom and bucket and sponge to clean the wreckage of the crashed aquarium. Josephine Chantreaux sat back down and let her hand drift from her pistol to her wine glass. Helen duSuis fussed with her dress. Dominic d'Honaire casually slid another piece of escargot into his mouth. "I will question the caliban in the dungeon, m'Lord," he offered. Lord Balfour gave him an affirmative nod. The dwarf cleared his throat.

The moment Madame Dapplewort had Skurn outside the door and part way down the stairs she spoke, clenching his hairless wiry hand tighter.

"How can I help you? The university dungeons are guarded. Maybe you should escape!" she pleaded.

OOC
    Madame Dapplewort: Horror save for seeing Fish Eye the trout, her close friend, is really a rat-like monster. 10, success. Will save vs hypnotic gaze 4, hypnotized (very helpful) for 2d4= 5 rounds.
    Madame Dapplewort traits: wears too much make-up, open sore on her face (mostly covered by make-up), hates vistani, truthful
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

Default Skurn

"You are a most generous and noble soul," Skurn gushed. "I will leave, and quickly!" He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. "But how will I protect myself? I am unarmed and weak from my ordeal, a fine victim of some less than understanding commoner... not like you, my angel of mercy." Skurn was sickened by the sugary words he was forced to spout to get the woman's aid. Alas, she was a useful tool.

Slaying her was not a wise option.

Skurn waits.
    Last edited by The McDungeonmaster; 07-02-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    "All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination."

Carl Jung

Default Ryth

Ryth had heard the stories about the rifts that the electrical storms had caused, legends told around the fire by dwarven bards who embellished the tales to win favor of those listening, and he had never believed them. Until now. Finding himself in unfamiliar territory, he kept his senses alert, continuing along the cobblestone road, his eyes searching the mountain pass for the dangers that assuredly lurked above, waiting to pounce upon him at any moment.

Then the black iron gates appeared in his vision. He had a choice, either turn back, or continue forward and see where this path led him. Although he was no zealot priest, or cleric of the divine, he still had faith. He whispered a prayer to Grundara, and made for the gates. The horrid sound of music filled his ears. It was unlike the dwarven ballads he was accustomed to back home, nor the sweet melodies that the elven songsmith’s sang. He wondered what creatures could create such a cacophony of foul noise, his curiosity getting the better of him.

With his hood pulled over his head shrouding his face from onlookers, and his bow in his left hand, he approached the gates, his right hand empty. If the need arose, and arrow from his quiver would appear as fast as the lightning streaking across the sky above the Plains of Kendrithalas, and that arrow would sail to its target just as fast.

OOC
    Ryth will approach the gates, moving close enough to be within bow shot of someone on the wall, yet far enough to retreat should the need arise.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

Ryth

Ryth walked the cobblestone road toward the gates. The howls of wolves in the mountains could be heard over the distant music. He saw a tattered piece of paper nailed to an oak tree along the road shortly before the wrought iron gates, flitting in the breeze and half-torn. He found he could read it, but it was styled in a way he'd never seen written tongue.

http://
    (click on image for larger readable size)

Barovia. He'd never heard of the place, and there were no forests and mountains like this in the plains. Until the mists had come.

Suddenly a creak caught his attention. His eyes darted from the parchment to the gates, as they slowly opened for him, crashing to a stop once spread fully wide, beckoning him on down through the winding cobblestone road through the mountain pass toward the music.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 07-13-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Skurn

Madame Dapplewort reached under her dress revealing the flesh of her leg, and a small thin dagger tucked in a thigh-high frilly piece of lingerie that wrapped about her. She thrust the dagger in Skurn's hand.

"And here, take this." She gave him a coin - a platinum corona.

"Goodbye, Fish Eye," she said, realizing they might never see one another again. But the look in Skurn's eyes seemed to change. She was heartbroken, saw him for what he really was. She screamed and recoiled, and ran down the steps in hysterics.

Skurn stood alone on the steps. There was a window nearby, and he looked out upon the city. It would be a long jump from the window, but he might be able to climb.

OOC
    Skurn gains a dagger and 1 platinum piece (a corona of Dementlieu coinage)
    Window is closed but not locked. It is a 30 drop to an alley.

Default Ryth

Committing the words on the paper to memory, the ranger moved forward toward the gates. Although he had spent time in the mountains as a child, he had never felt at ease with the high vantage points above him affording those who would do him ill a place to hide from the piercing sting of his arrows.

Keeping a vigilant eye above, he strode forward with carefully planted footsteps.

OOC
    Ryth will continue forward.
    Perception Check to notice any dangers: d20+13 = 27
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

Ryth

Ryth passed through the wrought iron gates and forty feet further before he heard the crash behind him. He turned. The gates had closed on their own. The music still drifted on the breeze ahead, along with the even stronger now scent of death. He turned back toward the scent, carefully moving forward along the cobblestone road.

He began hearing the sounds of broken snow crust around the steep hills around him. Ahead, two slavering wolves hopped from the cover of trees onto the road, blocking his path. In a moment he was surrounded by as many as a dozen or more. The wolves growled and appraised their prey with hungry eyes.

Code:
    .x.x.x.x.x.x.x. . .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x.x. .2.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x.x. . .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.9.x.x.x. .1.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x.x. . . .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x.x. . .x.x.x.3.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x. .R.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x.x. . . .x.x.x.x.4.x.x.
    .8.x.x.x.x.x. . .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.7.6. .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x.x. .5. .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.
    .x.x.x.x.x. . .x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.

R - Ryth
    1-9 - wolves
    x's are Difficult Terrain and provide +4 cover to AC.
    OOC
    Ryth, if you take an aggressive action just take a partial action as trigger for the surprise round.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 07-02-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Default Ryth and the Wolves

Ryth froze in his tracks at the sight of the wolves. He had met other rangers who had taken wolves to be life long companions, serving their masters faithfully. However, he had never been fond of canines, or other animals for that matter. As a child, he had come upon a dog that he thought was friendly, only to learn all too quickly that sometimes it was better to let a sleeping dog lay.

In this case, they weren't sleeping. They were hunting, and this time he was the prey. Looking to turn the tables quickly, his reaction quickly appeared in his hand. He knocked an arrow and let it sail through the cold mountain air toward his target.

OOC
    Surprise Round action: Attack wolf #1
    +1 Composite Longbow: d20 (13) + 13 + 1pb -2 deadly aim = 25
    Damage if hit: d8 (7) + 3 +1pb + 4 deadly aim = 15
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games: