Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FATE of Krynn

Default FATE of Krynn

I have been toying around with adapting my new favorite RP system (FATE) with my favorite fantasy setting (Dragonlance). Before you roll your eyes and revoke my forum privileges just here me out. There are a couple of really good reasons why I think DL and FATE would make a good fit for each other:

1. FATE is a rules system designed to get out of the way of a compelling story. And I think we all agree that the stories told in DL are compelling. And, while good stories are possible with any system, d20 can sometimes get too clunky and crunchy, sometimes overshadowing the narrative moments of the game. With a few exceptions, FATE puts the narrative in the forefront.
    2. The FATE system is designed to be totally customizable. Sometimes the DnD stats and classes pigeon-hole characters into certain roles and the player has to do mechanical gymnastics to make his/her idea fit. Having trouble remembering the great example I had for this, but rest assured there is one.
    3. The FATE mechanics of compelling and invoking aspects as well as the FATE Point economy would do a lot to bridge the gap between the experience of reading and playing Dragonlance.

Ok, so here is where I ask your opinion. Those of you who are familiar with FATE, do you agree that they make a good match? Am I alone here? I am considering springing this idea on my gaming group after I jot down some notes on how I would do it. But first I thought I'd ask if you guys think this is a journey worth taking.

Hmm...while you might have to do some magic-system building, I think FATE would handle Krynn quite nicely. Cam Banks, who playtested and advised on the earliest editions of FATE, has agreed. I don't have any practical experience with it, but I have a friend who does, and I've looked at it more and more closely over the past few years
    Matthew L. Martin, Chronicler of the Martinian Canon, the Anti-Canon, Desolate Krynn and numerous other 'wrong' versions of Krynn.

Not sure if it would help, but The Dresden Files RPG is FATE based and has a magic system. Of course, DFRPG is tailored toward the story style in Jim Butcher's novel, but it should give you a basis for the magic.

I have played the DFRPG and I really like the magic system, but since magic in the DL fiction is so closely tied to D&D I was considering adopting its 10 level magic system, using the rules from the original free fate 2.0.

I have also considered using the Cortex system to play DL. I'm not as familiar with it but it seems to be a really solid system. It has the added feature of being MWP's in-house system, which appeals to me.

Okay, so I've made character sheets for all of the original 8 Heroes of the Lance (those at the front of DoAt) using the rules from Fate Core if anyone would like to see them. If there is interest I will post them here on the forums. I'm especially proud of Raistlin.

I did Tanis first so there may be things I want to change. I welcome suggestions.

Tanis Half-elven

Aspects
    High Concept: Half-elven Wilderness Warrior
    Trouble: Torn between his elven and human heritage
    Phase 1: Adopted son of the Speaker of the Suns
    Phase 2: Flint is the Father I never had.
    Phase 3: Somewhere between Solace and Acceptance

Skills
    Great: Survival*
    Good: Shooting, Rapport
    Fair: Notice, Athletics, Fighting
    Average: Empathy, Investigation, Stealth, Physique

* Survival is a skill I felt a DL game would need so I modeled it off the 3.5/PF skill of the same name.

Stunts
    Elven Sight: Low-light vision 60'; Darkvision 30'
    Called Shot: Spend fate point to attach condition to target
    Best Foot Forward: +2 to Rapport if you have time to plan

Refresh: 1
    Fate Points: 1

Stress
    Physical: _____ _____ _____
    Mental: _____ _____

Items and Equipment
    Leather Armor (Amr 1); Longsword (Wpn 2); Longbow (Wpn 2); Dagger (Wpn 1); Survival Gear
    Last edited by Aelfwyn; 04-25-2013 at 05:08 PM.

I don't know much about FATE, but I like that!
    It's weird that there isn't a survival skill, though
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    I don't know much about FATE, but I like that!
    It's weird that there isn't a survival skill, though

Yeah, Fate is a generic rules system that assumes that you will take it and adapt it to your needs. The default skill list is meant to be more suggestion and example rather than hard and fast rules. I'm glad you like it. I'll post Sturm later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelfwyn View Post
    Yeah, Fate is a generic rules system that assumes that you will take it and adapt it to your needs. The default skill list is meant to be more suggestion and example rather than hard and fast rules. I'm glad you like it. I'll post Sturm later today.
    And to show how characters can be approached differently, here are some Aspects I came up with for Sturm.

High Concept: Knight of Solamnia
    Trouble: My Honor is My Life
    Phase 1: Solamnian in Exile
    Phase 2: "I follow the Code; Tanis lives it."
    Phase 3: Knight without a Knighthood
    Matthew L. Martin, Chronicler of the Martinian Canon, the Anti-Canon, Desolate Krynn and numerous other 'wrong' versions of Krynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    And to show how characters can be approached differently, here are some Aspects I came up with for Sturm.

High Concept: Knight of Solamnia
    Phase 1: Solamnian in Exile
    Phase 2: "I follow the Code; Tanis lives it."
    Phase 3: Knight without a Knighthood
    Wow! I really like your choices. Some of mine are the same, some are different.

Sturm Brightblade

Aspects
    High Concept: Composed Human Solamnic Warrior
    Phase One: A Knight at Heart
    Phase Two: My Father's Sacrifice
    Phase Three: The Brightblade: My Father's Sword

Skills
    Great: Fighting
    Good: Rapport, Will
    Fair: Physique, Notice, Athletics
    Average: Empathy, Resources, Investigation, Contacts

Stress
    Physical: _____ _____ _____
    Mental: _____ _____ _____ _____

Refresh: 3
    Fate Points: 3

Extras
    Brightblade: Bastard Sword (Wpn 4); Will never break so long as the wielder's spirit remains unbroken.

Items and Equipment
    Plate Armor (Amr 3); Shield (Amr 1); Brightblade (Wpn 4); Dagger (Wpn 1); Survival Gear
    Last edited by Aelfwyn; 04-25-2013 at 05:10 PM.