Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 145

Thread: the sleeper awakens...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Several silent moments passed while Vargnir watched from afar. The two seated by the fire continued to sit vigil. The moonlit sky above was deep, watching all below with an ever watchful tone. When no others approached, and no threat was determined, the ranger decided his wait had been long enough. He desired the warmth of the flame, and the cold ground below him goaded him into revealing his presence.

    “Greetings and Salutations, fellow travelers,” he said loud enough for even the birds who had downed for the night beneath the bush could hear. “Might I join your fireside?” Vargnir asked as he approached from the darkness, weapons stowed in a show of peace. “I come without any foul intent, you can be assured,” he said as he slowly approached. If these were not the ones that he were to help on order of his king, he would need an escape plan.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    At the sound of the dwarfs voice Killian sprung to his feet, hand on the hilt of his rapier. He instinctively took a step towards his brother, placing himself between his twin and the dwarf who seemingly came out of the darkness. Killian was impressed with the stealth of the dwarf, they weren't exactly know for their subterfuge and uncanny quietness this one seemed to posses.

    "That's far enough master dwarf, not to be rude but if you could state your name and business here?" Killian had no idea who they were suppose to be waiting for, perhaps the dwarf was one or perhaps not. Nonetheless Killian wasn't taking any chances, a lone dwarf in the middle of the night on the Plains of Betheleron was strange enough.
    Vittorio the Red LN Nerakan Wizard 10/Wizard of High Sorcery Red Robe 10 (Bongs Dragonlance Tabletop RPG)
    Sharky Fishbait CN Kender Mariner 4/ Rogue 4 (Bongs SoS Dragonlance Forum Game)
    Anacoana NE Noordmarian Druid 7 (Bongs Cult of the Ebon Destroyer DLF Game)
    Vittorio the Grey LE Nerakan Wizard 6/ Fighter 1/ Knight of the Thorn 8 (Bongs Dragonlance RPG)

    "Let that be a lesson to us all" - Clearwing (Bongs table top Specter of Sorrows game after companion was devoured by dire lions)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    "Foolish brother," the second elf replied acidly, never making the slightest move from his cozy seat by the campfire. Xareen stroked Ruby gently. "Its obviously who we're supposed to meet. Dwarves dwell in the hills and mountains, not the plains."
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 05-31-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Vargnir stopped his advance at the other's warning, planted his feet, and crossed his arms across his chest in confidence. “I seek one called Killian, who is charged with a task for High King Uthul. I am Vargnir Ironfyre, and I have been sent to assist Killian on his quest,” he stated with pride. “To whom do I speak?” he asked in return, cocking his head to the side with interest.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    It was all he could do to keep his composure and not throttle his brother as he sat near the fire. Killian just smiled though, next time he's called a fool he'd make sure his brother remember, he had a few more fingers left to go.

    "Your over confidence is not flattering brother, it could just get you...... dead."

    Turning back to the dwarf Killian spoke, "Well seek no further Vargnir Ironfyre, I am Killian and this is my brother Xareen. Please, come sit and join us, warm yourself by the fire. We wait for one more to arrive."
    Vittorio the Red LN Nerakan Wizard 10/Wizard of High Sorcery Red Robe 10 (Bongs Dragonlance Tabletop RPG)
    Sharky Fishbait CN Kender Mariner 4/ Rogue 4 (Bongs SoS Dragonlance Forum Game)
    Anacoana NE Noordmarian Druid 7 (Bongs Cult of the Ebon Destroyer DLF Game)
    Vittorio the Grey LE Nerakan Wizard 6/ Fighter 1/ Knight of the Thorn 8 (Bongs Dragonlance RPG)

    "Let that be a lesson to us all" - Clearwing (Bongs table top Specter of Sorrows game after companion was devoured by dire lions)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Vargnir waited a moment longer, assessing the two with keen eyes, watching their body language for tell tale signs of threat. When none revealed themselves, he walked slowly to the fireside, and taking a seat across from the two so that flames separated them, he removed his pack and propped his feet by the heat so that they could warm from the nights chill.

    "My thanks for the sharing of your fire," he said, taking out his water skin and drinking deeply from it. "I hope you have not been forced to wait overly long for me," he said with a hidden grin. He eyed Xareen, and the red haired woodland animal nestled next to him.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    Xareen met the dwarvf's gaze. The dwarf could see the charcoal-skinned elf with long, tangled white hair had piercing alien green eyes. The elf continued to pet the fox all the while. The fox yawned and whimpered, laying its head down on the elf's dusky robes in his lap and watched the dwarf with perked ears and eyes that reflected blazing orange in the firelight.

    "We Morehdrel are patient," Xareen replied, ignoring the remark from his twin. "It is no matter. You say you were sent, Master Ironfyre. By whom?"
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Fishing out a chunk of jerky from his ration pack, Vargnir took a bite, chewing greedily. The journey to this encampment had been long and arduous, leaving little time for hunt for food, let alone eat what he had brought with him. More than once, he had feared the the rumblings of his belly would give away his position, but now he was able to remedy that. He turned somewhat, allowing the warmth of the fire to warm the opposite side, soaking through the outer layers of his travel garb.

    “I am of clan Holdergart, led by Chief Stonebeard, and ruled by the mighty King Baaltor, the One King of the Dwarven Realm*,” he stated with immense pride. Although he was unaware of any underlying ties that his lord had to that of the elves, he had pledged to serve to the best of his ability, even upon pain of death. “However, the details of what this quest entails has been left for you to explain,” he said, once again turning the conversation to that of their mission.

    OOC
    * I'm hoping I've got that right...took some research!
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,506

    Default

    Xareen calmly petted Ruby's head nonchalantly. "King Baaltor and King Uthul have brought us together," Xareen surmised out loud, then turned his broader attention to Vargnir.

    "The details have been left for us to explain?" There was acid in the elf's voice. Xareen gave a jaded look to his brother. The campfire crackled and a shooting star or meteor shot across the night sky. Xareen thought he saw it, anyways, but by the time he darted his eyes at the sky the vapor trails had vanished so quickly he wasn't quite sure if what he thought he saw had truly happened.

    Xareen turned his attention back to the dwarf, speaking calmly.

    "So is it Chief Stonebeard or King Baaltor himself who sent you?" he asked pointedly.

    OOC
    Xareen speaks and reads dwarven runes, if it matters.
    Knowledge (local) on potentially known dwarven clans including Clan Holdergart d20+14= 20.
    Knowledge (nobility) on dwarven nobility, kings, etc. d20+13= 22.
    Knowledge (history) on dwarven history and historical heroes d20+15= 23.
    Knowledge (geography) on where Clan Holdergart (if I've heard of them) makes their home d20+14= 31.
    Knowledge (religion) on dwarven god(s) d20+14= 32.
    Ruby has an Intelligence of 10 and so may also have her own thoughts and opinions about dwarves. (mostly just rolling for fun )
    Knowledge (local) on dwarves d20+2= 13.
    Knowledge (nobility) d20+1= 10.
    Knowledge (history) d20+3= 9.
    Knowledge (geography) d20+2= 3.
    Knowledge (religion) d20+2= 6.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 06-03-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Vargnir looked lazily at the fire, the days efforts of tracking and traveling quickly catching up with him. Having finished the meager ration of jerky, he pulled his wine skin from his pack, yanked the plug out, and took a hearty pull from it.

    "I was sent by King Baaltor to assist the two of you," the dwarf said, as he stowed his wineskin. "It is my honor to serve my king, and in the process, lend you aid," he added with an acknowledging bow of his head.

    "Now, if you would be so kind as to get to those details..." he said, his voice trailing to allow the other two to continue.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •