Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 555

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time [First Quest - "Dragons of Death"]

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    A second blinding flash followed the first. A man lay sprawled on the stone floor, his arms clenched, grasping at nothing. The boy-for he was a boy, by the Dwarf's standards-was dressed in gleaming steel armor and a crimson cloak bearing the symbol of a golden hammer in silhouette.

    "...soulless Apostate!" He roared, muffled by the smooth stones, "I'll have you for..."

    Reality dawned like a flash of lightning over Daeven. He looked up at his empty arms, and then slowly at the room around him. Rising to his feet, the Golden Hammer brushed his hair back, straightening the circlet that he wore across his brow.He reached for a leather strap on his shoulder, and a massive steel-headed hammer fell into his anxious grip. He looked right past the Dwarf into Ullin's eyes.

    "Boy. What is this place? Is it the conjuring of that black robe? Best tell me which way he went. Less trouble for you."
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,661

    Default

    Ulin looked down at the newcomer, brow furrowed at being called a boy. This man seemed the same age as himself. Though Ulin was slender and young of face, a boyish quality inherited from his grandfather, there were more than enough worry lines and crow’s-feet marring his family good looks. If anything, Ulin’s image was of worn exhaustion from being on the run for so long. He was haunted and weary, golden eyes darting about on the defensive more akin to a caged beast.

    Exhaling softly, he offered the man a hand against his better judgement. He stared at the golden hammer adorning the man’s accoutrements. Why did it look familiar?

    “No black robes here,” he said. “Wherever here is….”

    OOC: Knowledge History on the hammer: 1D20(9) + 9 = 18
    Last edited by rogue; 04-20-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,894

    Default

    Like so many things in this place, the exact place he'd seen that symbol eluded Ulin as well.

    OOC -
    A Knowledge (nobility) check would be more appropriate, I think, but I'll take a DC 20 Knowledge (history) check as well...So, uh, no dice. Sorry rogue!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Another flash briefly filled the room, interrupting its occupants' attempts to assess the recent happenings. As eyes adjusted, a fourth cloaked and hooded figure was standing before them. Daeven was given a little more insight regarding his arrival, while Ulin and Bhatair were less surprised by the now redundant phenomenon.

    The newcomer pulled back her hood and surveyed her new surroundings. Her face was a mask of confidence, a decent but imperfect attempt to hide her disorientation. If this was how the Brotherhood inducted new members, they clearly had more resources at their disposal than she had given them credit for.

    Looking around, she noticed the three others before the ceiling commanded her attention. The ever changing mural of living scenes was awe inspiring. Reminiscent of events impressed upon her during her studies, though much less tedious. She forced herself to return her focus to the present company, one of whom was wearing remarkably archaic garb adorned with... symbols denoting the Order of the Divine Hammer? It couldn't possibly be, but she had to ask:

    "Is... this part of the trial?"

    OOC
    - DM's list o' Knowledge checks
    - Knowledge [Religion] can't fail, recognizes Bhatair's medallion of faith
    - Knowledge [Geography] 4 + 6 = 10, will recognize Bhatair's dialect
    - Knowledge [Geography] 2 + 6 = 8, will not recognize Ulin's dialect
    - Knowledge [Geography] can't pass, will not recognize Daeven's dialect
    - Knowledge [Nobility] 16 + 10 = 26, recognizes Diving Hammer markings
    - Knowledge [History] 13 + 10 = 23, presumably similar response to Ceiling as Ulin's
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Daevan started at the sudden appearance of the newest arrival. When the figure lowered her hood, Daeven was surprised to discover the lady beneath it. He couldn't resist answering her question.

    "If this is some sort of trial, then the Godpriest must have a plan for all of out lives."
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 01-10-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

    Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    Simone was unsure how to interpret the man's response. Apparently he was some sort of history fanatic who took his reenactments very seriously. It did, at least, further her skepticism that this recent turn of events had anything to do with joining the Brotherhood.

    She decided to ignore the man's strange attire and manner of speaking for the time being and instead address the more pressing concern.

    "Where am I, and why did you bring me here?" she asked accusingly, taking a cautious step back and reaching under her cloak for something at her waist. "If you're trying to kidnap me, I guarantee it will not go as well as planned."
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    12,661

    Default

    "No one here has kidnapped anyone," answered Ulin tersely, his patience waning. "We were conjured here, for what I have no idea. Now, if you are interested in answers...follow me."

    The sorcerer then began his ascent up the stone stairs towards the iron door. Talk was becoming cheap.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,817

    Default

    "You'll forgive me if I'm a bit hesitant to take you at your word." she replied in a tone of similar frustration. "But since you claim to know the answers I'll hear you out."

    Simone held her position as Ulin walked away, keeping the others in her line of sight. She did, however, ease her stance, and if she was planning on drawing a weapon, that was aborted for the time being.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Anvil of Time
    Posts
    18,894

    Default

    As Ullin pushed open the doors below the watchful gaze of the great dragon skull overhead there was another blinding flash of light. When his vision returned the young man found himself staring down the length of a massive temple built entirely from swirled green and white marble. He wasn't exactly sure if the place was a temple, but there was an palpable feeling of peace and serenity here that reminded him of the various churches along God's Row back in Solace. A statue of a tree, carved from golden brown tourmaline and adorned with emerald leaves, guarded the far end of the echoing chamber from a low dais. The presence of this pseudo-holy symbol added to Ulin's spiritual impression of the place. A stoic face had been carved into the top of the gemstone trunk that glinted in the torchlight. The tree-man's rigid faced stared impassively down at Ulin and the two sleeping forms in the center of the room.

    A powerfully built middle-aged warrior lay asleep atop a crystal bier. He was flanked on either side by three identical marble pillars that matched the rest of the verdant floors and walls. The man's tanned hands were folded together over his chest like a corpse in repose, resting atop a four-foot long baton made of alternating bands of gold and steel rings. The rod was capped on either end by crystal cylinders. The sleeper was surrounded by a small stockpile of weapons on his gemstone bed – a short spear, a wooden rod topped with the carved head of a snake, and a beautiful gleaming scimitar. The man's leather armor looked old to Ulin, like a highly stylized antique that belonged in a Palanthian museum. If he had not noticed the gentle up-and-down rhythm of the man's chest he might have thought that the warrior was dead and this was his tomb.

    Curled at the foot of the long-haired man's sleeping stand was a black bear as big as anyone present, also resting peacefully. Ulin froze instinctively when he saw the dangerous animal, but like the man the bear appeared to be in a deep sleep. Slowly the sorcerer warily untensed his rigid body, only to start noticeably when the sleeping man stirred.

    OOC -
    Ulin, DC 20 Knowledge (history) check (d20+9): 14. Fails. Does not recognize the man on the crystal bier.
    Waylorn, DC 20 Perception check (d20+16): 33. Succeeds. Hears Ulin walk into the room, wakes up.
    Colbert, DC 20 Perception check (d20+7): 16. Fails. Does not hear Ulin walk into the room, continues sleeping.

    Tag! You're in Majere!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-19-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council


    "Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Out of my mind, BEEEEP. Please leave a message!
    Posts
    7,061

    Default

    Waylorn Wyvernsbane didn't so much stir as he did try to stir. For several moments the middle-aged man just lay there on his crystal bed trying to wrap his mind on where and who he was and even that knowledge evaded him. He narrowed it down to Huma Dragonsbane and Waylorn Wyvernsbane. Whichever man he was, he was a reknowned hero and that would do. He secretly hoped that he was the former. Hope and dreams weren't going to help him figure out where he was or why he felt as he had been asleep for several millenia however.

    Slowly, and with great effort, Waylorn forced his unwilling eyes to open. Why does it feel as if my eyes are covered in tree sap?

    Putting that thought out of his mind, Waylorn rolled to a sitting position, or rather tried. The result was that he rolled directly off of his crystal bier and onto the floor with rather loud and painful sounding 'thud'.

    "Ooff! Dragon balls! Now I remember who I am. Waylorn Wyvernsbane. You'd think the elves would've given me a feather bed to lie on, but no...And who sleeps like that," he grumbled rather loudly to himself. "A real man needs to spread out."

    With an audible crack, Waylorn craned his neck up and saw a skinny, youngish looking man with strangely colored eyes. "Well, you gonna stand there gauping all day or help me up? My joints are more than a little stiff. Oh, and I don't think Colbert would snap at you, but better not chance it," he added, wiggling a toe at the massive bear. You wouldn't be much of a meal for him anyway.

    "He's known to be cranky."
    Last edited by Majere; 04-25-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    "And that blockhead Rukin.. he might not be much of a thinker, but he can kill things well I suppose..." Argent: Cleric of Silver Master. ICRP Key of Destiny.

    "Well I'll be a pickled dog-turd," Rukin grunted.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •