Page 1 of 286 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragons on the River of Time (Planning)

Default Dragons on the River of Time (Planning)

Yes, I know that the corpse of my War of the Lance campaign isn't cold yet, but I wasn't kidding when I said I had an idea for a new game. Darcwulf did something like this a while back, but I loved the concept so much I almost jumped into the game despite the fact it was scary strange 4E. Basically I want to play a Dragonlance version of the Marvel comic “Exiles." For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept the comic centered on a group of X-men related heroes from different realities in the Marvel universe. Each of the heroes was recruited by a myserious entity called "The Timebroker" because their reality was “wrong” or “broken” somehow. The Timebroker offered them a chance to fix their own worlds by traveling the multiverse and helping him reset other broken realities.

In our Dragonlance centric campaign the initial group of four heroes is recruited from various forks in the River of Time by an entity who calls themselves "The Wayfarer" to complete missions for him on alternate Krynns. These missions will help "correct" certain dangerous forks in the River and earn the heroes a chance to save their own lives or endangered worlds.

Ideally, each individual adventure (or "mission") would only take a few months to play. Given the reality warping nature of the game I'm plotting I have cart blanche to pull people if players disappear and we would have time between missions to reset and replace team members as needed. I think this is the fresh start I need and modular enough that I won't feel trapped into some crazy long campaign. However, it also has some good dramatic potential of its own. I definitely have some idea about an over-arching story that will evolve over the team's various missions.

That said I've already picked my initial cast and they've agreed to their roles as the primary protagonists. rogue, SuperBall, Ravenmantle, and Salinus please feel free to use this thread to begin discussing your character concepts.

To reiterate from my initial PM any timeline from Legends of the Twins is fair game as are ANY GAMES OR CHARACTERS from our various threads over the years (I have ways of making this work without disrupting the continuity of old stuff for most cases I think), as are variants of established characters or maybe even the established characters themselves depending on the story you pitch me. I'm open to characters or continuity from tabletop games you've played in in addition to any whacky new timelines you can come up with (I've got a few of my own I'm eager to explore). I'm still not sure about the starting level of the PCs in this game. I'm guessing, however, it won't be Level 1. Depending on what people want to play I'm thinking the initial range will be between Level 4 and 7. We'll also be using the Pathfinder rules so there will also be a thread to hash out any necessary conversions when we need it.

Now, I do plan to expand the initial cast of heroes by one or two PCs, likely folks plucked from other realities as the plot develops. Due to a specific plot point there are only four PCs to start, but like I said that will change as the story develops. There is also plenty of opportunity for people to play supporting roles, allies that will team up with the heroes in different worlds or perhaps even villains who oppose them. If you're interested in playing a "new" PC or a supporting character down the road please PM me or post your interest here. There's also no reason one player couldn't play multiple supporting roles in different worlds depending on interest and what I need.

Also, I wouldn't be me if I didn't have a secret plan that would involve some more permanent supporting characters. If you're interesting in hearing the DM's secret pitch please PM me (Heine's already heard this one so no blabbing RM!).

So there it is. It'll be a while before we start. I have some serious plotting to do and only one person even has a kernel of an idea for a character concept. That said the folks I've played with before get priority, so I hope that some of you are willing to join me in this new endeavor!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 08-25-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Well, as I've stated a number of times in the past, I've never read any of the Dragonlance books, so I'll most likely be picking a character from a game I've role played in. I think it's not surprising that Downfall is my favorite character of those I've used in a DL campaign, due mainly to the amount of years I've put into figuring out his personality.

I am, however, not set in stone on this, and will be quite happy to pick another character if it would mean rounding the party out better. And I have the advantage of my tabletop games being run by the same DM, so I don't think it will take much convincing to get Tauren to let me use a character from one of them if desired.

No matter what happens, I'm pretty eager to see what gets cooked up here.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

While I love Downfall too I don't know if the character as is would work for this game. For one he would be much lower then the level he's at. Plus, with all the crazy crap he's bound to see hopping dimensions how would that not shape or affect him in some way as later, higher-level Downfall?

"Yes, I was sent on a mission by Chislev to find the blue crystal staff, but holy freaking crap did I go to some crazy places to get it before I found the swamp!"

I think it would have to be some kind of an alternate version of him, like what Downfall would have been like if Laurana had never showed him a made-up vision (or better yet he finds out it was a trick and ignores it) and he never went after the blue crystal staff and remained a retainer of the Speaker of the Sun? That seems boring, but then Downfall never finds and delivers the staff to Aegir, the heroes never find the proof they're looking for and they all die or get captured when the Red Dragonarmy burns Solace. The Qualinesti get caught off guard and the nation falls. This Downfall could be a hard-core guerilla fighter against the Dragonarmies from an alternate version of our WotL game or something? Who is Downfall without the religious fervor? I imagine he'd still be a bad-ass in that world. I don't know. That's one attempt to unravel and change the character.

Looking at some of the other DL characters you've played for me...An alternate, non-paladin version of Simone would be cool to see. What would she be if the Mantis Barb was never given to the Belmonte family all those years ago? Just another spoiled noble? A girl who runs away from home and becomes a thief or rogue? Maybe she still fights with whips and daggers anyway.

Look at Salinus. What about a world where Kooet comes to the The Spot and finds Salinus there that night and Herschel's future bodyguard is killed by The Black Hammer in his place? Maybe Kooet never flees to the surface world like Salinus would have, Herschel doesn't have a bodyguard in Pashin, and the heroes that would confront Frost someday never form and the White Dragon Overlord manages to conquer or destroy the world in some way.

Then there's alway Skitto. That poor kender died before his time...Maybe there's a world where he lives and all sorts of things go haywire because of it. Skitto living leads to Simone's death in his place because she never meets the other PCs because they keep pushing into the dwarven ruins. Without allies in the mountains Simone is waylaid and killed by monsters of some kind, she ultimately never reclaims the Mantis Barb, the Greymantles live on to terrorize Nightlund, etc.

Yeah, the "what ifs" could go on forever! Let me know what ideas tickle your fancy Matt!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 05-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Head Moderator &

Well, I have an idea for a human sorcerer from a timeline where sorcerers have been hunted to extinction by the WoHS. He will probably either go Academy Sorcerer or Ambient Tempest. Those classes need to be refine in PF.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Yeah, I thought the whole point was that it would be an alternate version. I didn't mean I would convert my character sheet to Pathfinder and call it a day. I'll put more thought into their current circumstances once I have a better idea of who I'm picking and what level we're starting at.

Right now my main thought process is: Without knowing anything else at this time, I'll probably pick Downfall. I think these what if stories only work well if people are familiar with the original. If I pick someone from our tabletop game, or a short lived campaign, no one will really know the difference between the what if character and the one they're based off of which would be fine, but not as much fun in my mind. That being said, if he ends up being one fighter-type too many, or the DM tells me he'd like me to pick otherwise, then I'll consider from:

Cecil - my sorcerer hating, goody two shoes nerd of a white wizard from probably the same timeline as rogue's character
    Simone - my attractive but naive female Paladin modeled after the Castlevania series :p
    Skitto - my over zealous kender who died because he didn't know better than to run from some inappropriately high level monsters
    Salinus - my good hearted, carefree sea-elf fighter who came to the surface after his loved ones unintentionally got his best friend killed.

Are there Pathfinder rules for DL races, or do we just kind of figure them out as we go?
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

Whenever you guys need supporting characters or what have you, I'm ready and waiting. This looks like a pretty awesome idea, Dave.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

I'm with Jake... sounds like a cool idea and whenever you someone for support I would be willing as well. Heck, most of my main characters are support anyhow!!
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Salinus
    Are there Pathfinder rules for DL races, or do we just kind of figure them out as we go?
    There's going to be a lot of figuring out as we go, I think.

jake and Spas I'll be PMing you both sometime today or tomorrow.
    Head Moderator &

I'll take the reigns of the 'Melee' fighter. More to come...
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!

I was thinking about a straight Fighter, who was a Knight in the Order of the Divine Hammer from the Kingpriest alternate timeline. Maybe his reality is broken because there was no cataclysm, and a rampaging, hubris-infused demigod running around.

I think that he could be very conflicted because he's sworn to protect this way of life, but then some mysterious stranger ells him that he has to help overthrow his own god-king to make the world 'right'? Tell me if I'm in the wrong place here...
    Dragonlanceforums.com Moderater - To be one, ask one!

Do you love the Dragonlace Forums? Do they provide you with hours of entertainment? Why not donate? Keep the hamsters running. Ask me how!