Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max's DL1-14 campaign...

Hey Antonio;

Whoops...that will teach me to pay more attention to both on-line "handles" and the name signed at the end of posts....DOH!

Anyway; to respond to your post: I have no idea what/where/who the small enclave of Claren Elian is...so I can't respond to this.....I'll do some googling though and get back to you!

For the monks idea; mainly because I'm setting the game right at the begining of the War of the Lance; there really shouldn't (in my opinion, anyway) be much knowledge of the Gods.....though, as I mentioned before; I was thinking of a small group of mystics following a book of philosophy based on the God Majere (though the monks themselves probably wouldn't know that Majere is actually a God). It ended up being a moot point as the player decided to go with a Kender anyway; but when I tend to think of DL; I tend to think of Chronicles and the DL series of modules.....and monks don't really fit this version fo the world too well; in my opinion.

As for some of your other points; I've always been a house-rule person; I like to tinker; though the older I get; the more I realize that I should only tinker a little and only in a "balanced" manner.

I've never had any problems with "established" non-human races; I get VERY wary of potentially game-breaking non-human races....for example; while I might allow a PC Minotaur or Hobgoblin; I don't think I'd allow a shape-changer or a Dragon or even a Pixie as I think too many encounters/adventures would have to be re-built/modified to take thier abilities into account and that's just annoying to me as a DM.

As for Level Limits; I think 1st sets the mark a little low for many of the race/class combos; but not by much. I've always been mystified by how/why they came up with some of thier numbers though...for example; why can EVERY race except Half-Orcs have unlimited advancement as Thieves...and Half-Orcs do the same as Assasins? Why are Elves ALWAYS so much better than the other races? (This is a SORE point with me; I really, really hate it when one race is CLEARLY superior in almost every game-mechanic to others) Etc., etc. For me; in 1st/1nd Edition games; I usually put the Level threshold mark somewhere in the 9-12 range for Demi-humans; and usually have Humans top out somewhere between 16-20th. As I've allready mentioned; for my DL BECMI/2nd version; non-humans are between 8-12 (well, Half-Elves at 11-14, but they are EXTREMELY rare); and humans between 14-17.

Most of my games usually spend the majority of thier time in the mid-levels (say 3-8 or so)...which is the "sweet spot" for my personal tastes anyway. Occasionally, characters reach the 9-12th point; but that's about as high as I've ever gone. I usually have NPCs represent the High level range (say 12-20).....and I don't think I'd ever really run an Adventure for PCs this high since I think the characters' are so powerful at this point that it'd be tough to do justice to having a truly challenging adventure for them.

I never cared for Dark Sun; but I've heard good things about Birthright...never played it though; best of luck to you!

Anyway, just some thoughts out loud here; thanks for the comments and next session is set for this coming Monday.....hopefully the report will be coming right after that!

Chello!

Well, there's another person reading your threads! I'm new here, but not to Dragonlance. I remember reading in high school 'Chronicles' as they came out and being miffed when the 3rd book ("Dragons of Spring Dawning") was $3.50 instead of $2.95 like the first two. Greedy corporate TSR! lolz

Gaming since 1981 and currently running 1E myself. If I hadn't just started a new campaign in the Wilderlands (Judges Guild), I would have done DL using the 1E Dragonlance Adventures, set in the post war years. Oh well, maybe next time.

Good stuff here. Thanks for the look at your game.
    "It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
    Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"

Call me stupid, but I seem to be: What does BECMI mean?

BECMI is a fan-created abbreviation for "Basic; Expert; Companion; Master; Immortal" and refers to the various boxed sets and the Rules Cyclopedia which made up the rules for "Basic D&D" and were put out in the 80s and early 90s.

Really hard-core Basic D&D fans will usually use "Basic" or "Moldvay/Cook" to seperate the first two version of the Basic and Expert boxed sets and "BECMI" for the later sets (all of which feature art from Larry Elmore).....there are some important rules changes between the two versions (notably Cleric Spells or rather when Clerics get them and at what levels!)

-Still waiting on my player who wrote the game-notes to e-mail them to me so I can then post them......grrr....will get on him some more this week!

Oh...and for the new veiwers; welcome and thanks for reading!

Chello aagin!

Right. BECMI is as maxvale said.

The usual fan abbreviation for Moldvay edition with the Erol Otus covers is B/X (as it only had Basic and eXpert rulebooks published).

0e or OD&D is the first boxed set from 1974, also called the LBBs (Little Brown Books).

Here endeth your old-school D&D lesson for the day.
    "It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."

And thus I have been duly educated. Thank you! I actually had the Basic and Expert boxed sets once.. someone found them at a gaming convention and bought them for me as a birthday present. I'm not sure where they are right now either, and that makes me a sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRogueX View Post
    And thus I have been duly educated. Thank you! I actually had the Basic and Expert boxed sets once.. someone found them at a gaming convention and bought them for me as a birthday present. I'm not sure where they are right now either, and that makes me a sad panda.
    I bet you are a sad panda! That is D&D as it was meant to be played!
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Okay...back to the main reason for this thread....sorry for the delay!

Notes: These are from the summary notes from Detlef's player.

On another minor note: I decided to make Xax Tsaroth a former Solamnic City....with two of my Characters either being Solamnic (Detlef) and/or knowing the language and how to read it (Detlef and Thorne); I just thought it was a nice fit.

Session Summary:

The party quietly moved to the edge of a room in the dungeons of Xax Tsaroth where two Baaz Draconians were lining up about 30 gully dwarves to get into a huge pot rigged up on chains and a pulley system over a hole in the floor as a sort of "elevator". Chains descend through a second hole in the floor; presumably to a second pot/car; used as a counter weight. At this time; Goldmoon was kneeling near a statue of Mishakal and ‘communing’ with her new-found Deity while her fiancÚ Riverwind hovered protectively nearby. (DM’s note: I COMPLETELY forgot to include them in this battle…WHOOPS!)

At this point; Thorne casts an illusion of a pair of scuffling Gulley Dwarves moving over towards the hole in the floor further away from the party’s current position. Quill attempts to use the distraction to Move Silently behind the closest of the Baaz Draconians for a Backstab.

The Half-Elf though; ends up kicking some rocks and drawing the attention of his intended target when he is about 10 feet away from the Draconian and at that point; the scrappy Quill drops his shortsword and charges the Draconian in an attempt to tackle the creature.

At this point; Detlef runs into the room with his sword drawn; while Grackle moves over towards the further-away Draconian; who is still paying attention to the illusionary Gulley Dwarves; whom Thorne is continuing to concentrate on to keep in existence.

Quill wraps the Draconian for a mere moment before being shrugged off and the Baaz draws his sword just in time to receive a painful slice from Detlef’s blade. Meanwhile; the other Draconian now sees a gleeful Grackel and attempts to shoo-away the Kender while still trying to break-up the illusionary Gulley Dwarves. It is at this moment that the pain-filled shout from his fellow Draconian captures his attention and the second Baaz belatedly draws his curved sword.

Thorne has his illusionary Gulley Dwarves jump into the hole as he drops his concentration of his Phantasmal Force spell and he casts a Magic Missile that streaks into the Baaz that Quill and Detlef are fighting. This Draconian manages to parry a second strike from the Solamnic warrior Detlef; but Quill takes the opportunity to sneak in an overhand right punch that staggers the Baaz back. At this point; the Draconian attempts to flee but is cut down and turned into a statue by another swing from Detlef’s sword.

The other Draconian; frustrated by attempting to catch the Kender, who is running in circles around the hole; having a blast; glances over and see that his companion has been taken out and he is badly outnumbered. At this point; the Draconian spreads its wings and dives into the open hole; gliding down into the mist-filled distance. Grackle; attempts to leap on the creature’s back and misses; luckily for the nimble Kender; he manages to just stay on the edge and not fall into the pit. Scrambling to his feet; the now annoyed Kender launches a stone from his Hoopak; and smiles upon hearing a grunt of pain. Soon though; the Draconian has vanished from view.

At this point; Grackle and Quill check the pot elevator by jumping into it and attempting to swing the pot back and forth. They quickly discover that while the pot sinks a bit and moves a bit; it requires much more weight. Looking around for the once lined-up Gulley Dwarves; the party finds that they have all fled the room.

Searching the room; the party discovers a curved scimitar blade; that Detlef knows is common in the East in the lands of the Tamam Busek Mountains and beyond. The party then goes west and finds a few crypts with old Solanmic runes listing names. Detlef doesn’t recognize any in particular; but Detlef gives the curious Grackle the Baaz’s scimitar to keep him from opening the crypts of his ancestors. At about this time; Riverwind and Goldmoon return to the party.

The group goes on to another room with no floor, but sees a chest in a crumbling corner on the opposite side of where they were, so they travel east to go around to the other side. They enter an octagonal room with an offering statue of Mishakal. After looking around, the team continues on to a room with a collapsed roof with a large sewer pipe having fallen into it and forming a tunnel running diagonally down through the room’s floor. Grackle is able to determine that many small humanoids have been using the slime-filled pipe as a means of moving from place to place. The party immediately thinks it’s mostly used by the Gulley Dwarves.

Deciding to come back to the sewer pipe later; the group returns to the room with no floor with chest in corner sitting on what's left of the floor. Detlef and Riverwind serve as rope anchors while the nimble Quill wraps the rope around himself and climbs the crumbling walls over to the chest. Quill opens the chest and finds a number of Emeralds that look quite valuable. Pocketing them for the moment; Quill also sees that on this side of the crumbling floor; there is an archway that leads into another room. Unwrapping the rope from around his waist; Quill moves into this room and from the darkness he hears a hollow-sounding voice ask: “Who dares to enter the final resting place of the Priests of Xax Tsaroth?" With no light source; Quill’s infravison shows him the barest; transparent outline of what looks like a human male in chainmail armor with shield and sword.

Quill; a little shaken up by the sight; turns back around the corner and upon his companions asking him what he’s found; he tells them about the gems and the ‘ghost warrior’. Curious beyond belief; Grackle simply MUST see this for himself and upon Quill throwing the rope back over; he ties the rope to himself and with Detlef and Riverwind once again act as anchors and the little Kender quickly scampers over to the other side and then onto the room of the Priests.

The same voice calls out to Grackle and Grackle cheerfully answers by introducing himself and asking who the spirit is. The spirit replies that he is the guardian of the tomb and that he is waiting to be relieved of his duty. He asks the Kender if he is there to take up the Watch; but the Kender politely informs him that that is not his job.
    Quill; after calling out some questions to the others and hearing their replies; comes back to the Priests’ rooms and talks with the Spirit Guardian as well. Though he isn’t able to learn much; he learns that the Discs of Mishakal are kept to the “south” of this room. Of course; none in the party is particularly able to tell directions underground; so this information is of little value to them. The Spirit Guardian also informs them that he can only leave the room if someone relieves him and takes an oath to protect the tomb. Quill and Grackle, at this point, thank the Guardian and return to the others.

Quill gives everyone a jewel from chest; with one going to Riverwind and Goldmoon. The group then heads over to the sewer entrance. Grackle and Quil descend down into the sewer, tripping along the way. Quill and Grackle stumble down the pipe to finally find themselves in the ruins of a room that is upside down with a huge spider inside waiting for them.

The spider quickly bites Grackle; but the resilient Kender doesn’t seem affected by the arachnid’s venom. Quill and Grackle both attack the spider, but miss. The others; still carefully making their way down the pipe; hear the sounds of combat and move quickly to get into the action. Meanwhile, the spider bites Quill, but the Half-elf manages to chop off one of the legs of the spider in return with his shortsword. Grackle also manages to chop into the spider with his battle-axe. At about this point; the rest of the group descends into the room from the pipe.

The spider bites Grackle again who feels queasy this time and falls to the ground, rather nauseous and weak. The spider soon afterwards manages to get a bite out of Goldmoon; but the Plainswoman shakes off the venom and the spider is quickly killed by a combination of blows from Detlef, Riverwind and a killing blow from Thorne’s second Magic Missile spell.

At this point; the party decided to hole-up in this room and rest for the night to heal and recuperate. The following ‘morning’; the party leaves through an intact doorway and they soon find themselves in a hallway. They can hear a group of people through a door to the right speaking in Solamnic. The group investigates and find Solamnic spirit chefs in a kitchen that tell them to get out of the kitchen and go wait in the dining area.

Everyone except Grackle is a little disturbed at all of these ‘ghost sightings’ and they quickly decide to move further down the hall and open another door; this time finding a ‘ghost bar’; complete with drunk spirits!

The party next goes through a set of double doors and in this room Thorne finds a magical wand with runes that spell out "Identifier." With a little bit of practice; Thorne quickly figures out that the Wand has charges which when spend; allow the wand to touch a magical item and “Identify” the item and its properties to the one using the Wand.

The “Identifier” was then used on the magic items the party had thus far discovered and the party learned that they had a +1 Dagger (Quill’s), a Ring of Protection +1 (Thorne’s); and a Shield +1 (Detlef’s).

The party continued searching and soon a chimney leading down was found and the group descends into a natural cavern with a tunnel out of it forming a natural hallway. The Group goes through a hallway soon finding that it opens into a man-made structure; a room housing rotting flour sacks and another sewer pipe opening that must brach off from the section of pipe they travelled down. The group then moves through a doorway and finds themselves in an old street attached to several old buildings and entering one of them; they find that they are in some kind of library or bookstore.

It is here that they soon find yet another ‘ghost’ who introduces himself in Solamnic as the Sage Ossamus and that he is obliged to answer one more question before his spirit moves on. The party carefully crafts a question about how to get to the current location of the Disks of Mishakal and Ossamus tells them that he knows of four ways of getting to them. The party can climb down some vines on the edge of a cavern wall; they can utilize the ‘elevator’ pots; there is a waterfall and there is a natural cavern sinkhole which leads to the ‘ground’ level of the cavern and the shattered city. With this answer given; Ossamus vanishes with a happy, relieved look on his face….
    Last edited by maxvale; 09-28-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Very nice.

Well, what else is a kender to do but talk to ghost?

Nice handling of the kender by the Solamnic, by the way (i.e., the scimitar). Reminds of all the times in the novels when Tanis kept Tas out of trouble.

on the subject of having negative effects of playing non human characters. I as a DM try to take on the balancing act. since most worlds are mostly human populated i play the racism card. so a city my be hostile toward elves or maybe a blacksmith charges an elven character double what they would charge a human. NPCs might be a lot less willing to tell a halforc info about their current quest. I play sometimes that it infact impacts the entire party if they are travelling with a non human character. Also I really liked reading your game notes maxval. i'm going to be doing the same thing with my games when i get time. but that is the problem lol