Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Max's DL1-14 campaign...

Chello!

Quote Originally Posted by maxvale View Post
    I explain this as something the Gods came up with ‘way back when’ to preserve the special abilities of wizards ala the 3 moons/Orders of High Sorcery…
    and it follows in line with what Raistlin says in teh first novel about Gilthanas being a mere "dabbler." He dismissive of him and not concerned like he would have been if he'd been a renegade.
    "It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
    Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"

Why limit the elf class so heavily? The BECMI elf can't cast spells higher than 5th level anyway, and advancement is slooow. Unless you changed the XP chart.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Kjeran: Exactly; it was scenes like this that made me utilize this rationale....

Turambar: I have changed the XP table slightly so that Elves level up a bit faster; but mostly I limited the Elves spell-casting for several reasons:

1: I've always felt that the ability to fight with any weapon and wear any armor AND cast spells at Exactly the same rate as a Mage was just TOO much....yet another sign of the "allmighty Tolkein-esque Elves" that annoys me....

2: In "Chronicles" (which along with DL 1-14 with some elements of Legends are really the only "cannon" material I'm using...and even some of that I'm modifying slightly); they make numerous references to the limitations of Mages: the limited weapons; the choosing of factions; The "Test"; etc. I don't think it would be fair to have Elves be able to circumvent all of that for no real "game" cost except higher XP needed for levelling.

With that in mind: I have Human (and the rare Half-Elf) Mages have a couple of advantages over the Elf in addtion to the faster levelling up: They gain bonus spells for High Intel (though nothing more than a maximum of 1 bonus 1st; 1 bonus 2nd and 1 bonus 3rd for INT 18); and the ability to cast 4th and higher level spells. The "catch" is that they have to take the Test between levels 3-6; or be declared renegades. (Note: I do have NPC Elves who are Mages only and THEY will have had to take the Test and except for thier Infravision and other "elf" abilities; will be considered to just be Mages; i.e. no swords, bows, etc. for them). Elven War-Wizards (i.e. PCs) do NOT have to take the Test.

I have also slightly limited Elves (and Dwarves; for that matter) in thier fighting abilities as well. Elves have a slightly worse THAC0 and fewer Weapon Skills (i.e. Weapon Proficiences) than pure Fighters......they also don't get Weapon Specialization like Fighters do. They DO gain a bonus to hit with a Bow; but they MUST choose a Bow as one of thier initial weapons they are skilled in. Dwarves have the same THAC0 as Fighters; but also don't get Weapon Specialization and 1 less Weapon Skill than Fighters (3 instead of 4); and one of these must be with a hammer or Axe (hand or Battle). Like Elves; they gain a bonus to hit with either a hammer or Axe (whichever one they choose; as long as they are skilled in it).

I think this is fair as they get higher HPs than Mages; gain wear Elven Chain mail and still cast spells; can fight with any weapon; have equal or better saving throws; have a better THAC0; have a bonus to hit with a Bow; AND have the Elven abilities of Infravision and immunity to Ghoul Paralysis.

As written in BECMI and certainly as written in BX; I really don't know why anyone who rolls up good enough stats from a game perspective would ever choose to play a Mage over an Elf other than faster level progression. Likewise; why would anyone play a Fighter over a Dwarf?

To me; I had to make the classes more "balanced".....and I think I've done so....though this is kind of the Test Bed....we haven't had any Elves or Dwarves...yet.....though clearly we now have a future PC in the mix; and one of my players (the player of Quill) is leaning towards creating a Dwarf for his future "Second" Character.

Anyway...sorry for rambling....hope this makes some sense; and thanks for continuing to follow along!

-Max

In BECMI playing a fighter has many advantages rules-wise over a dwarf, e.g. the Combat Options are gained at lower XP total, can get up to 4 attacks per round, can Smash giant-size opponents, get more Weapon Mastery slots, can become a Paladin/Avenger, get more hit points in the long run.

As for a magic-user vs. elf, the DM is encouraged (per DM Rulebook) to give more powerful starting spells, and a magic-user does not suffer a penalty when casting spells of an higher level from scrolls (whereas, per Companion rules, Elves have a 10% chance of failing.) Playing a MU is definitely a long-term investment in terms of spells, and furthermore, it's easier to get a MU than an Elf due to stats minimum. And especially at low levels, playing an Elf is a slog and the MU can easily surpass it in terms of spells choice and number.

Overall, I never had problems of balance, hence I was curious about your choices. Obviously if you go to the AD&D framework, I can see why one would play a human fighter instead of a dwarf fighter, hence my thinking that AD&D 1e "got it right" by putting an hefty level cap on demihumans in general.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. Never hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you [...] YOU ARE CREATOR AND FINAL ARBITER.
    E. G. Gygax, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979.

Default DL 2: Part III: "The Sla Mori and into Pax Tharkas..."

Our Heroes:

1. Fergus Quill: Male Half-Elf; 5th level Thief; Alignment: Good(ish)

Fergus never knew his Elf parent and he was soon orphaned into the streets of New Ports. Living on the streets; Quill soon learned the stealthy arts needed to survive; but he may have turned out much for the worse if a kindly old Dwarf hadn't taken him in. He maintained his streetwise skills and knowledge; but soon developed a good nature and became friends with a pair of humans from better walks of life than he; Detlaf and Thorne.

2. Detlaf Ironside: Male Solamnic Human; 4th level Fighter; Alignment: Good

Detlaf grew up in New Ports; the son of a pair of Solamnic exiles, who ran a general goods store. His father though told Detlaf that his father (Detlef's grandfather) had been a well-respected Knight of Solamnia who had been forced to send his son and wife south due to the rebellions and uprisings sweeping thru Solamnia at the time. He gave Detlaf an amulet with the symbol of the Solamnic Knights as a memento. Detlaf's father moved to New Ports in Abanassina and grew up and married a store-owner and the two of them had a son several years later. Detlaf, growing up, became good friends with the scholarly Thorne and feisty half-elf; Quill. As a teenager; Detlaf feasted on his father's stories of the Knights and when Detlaf was 17, his father left him the amulet and told him to help his mother run the store while he took a trip to try and figure out what happened to his father and to try and find the Knights. Detlaf never saw his father again; but he carries the amulet to this day and soon apprenticed himself to the town guard; where he learned his skills at arms. Now in his early thirties; Detlaf has left the guard and is ready to see where his life might take him next.

3. Thorne: Male Human; 4th level Magic User; Alignment: Good

Thorne grew up the son of a scribe and a healer in the town of New Ports and it soon became clear that he was every bit as intelligent and scholarly of mind and had the healing touch of his parents. He also displayed an aptitude for magic as a child and was soon enrolled as an apprentice to a kindly old white-robe mage. Over the years; Thorne did very well and soon had his own spellbook with several spells in it. When he wasn't studying; Thorne became fast friends with the Solamnic exile Thorne and the orphaned Half-Elf; Quill. Thorne's life would be forever changed the day that and odd red-robed mage named Bargle came to visit his old teacher.

4. Grackle Silvertongue: Male Kender; 4th level Handler; Alignment: Good

Grackle was born and raised in Hylo, on Southern Ergoth. Growing up to be an extremely agile and nimble Kender; Grackle was also quite brawny for a member of his race. Hit with wanderlust like most Kender; Grackle ventured out into the larger world and soon found himself onboard a large ship whose crew were NOT so thrilled to find him there and promptly dumped him off at their first port of call; in a land Grackle found out was called ‘Abanasinia’. Wandering the area; Grackle eventually encountered some Plainsmen; some of whom were quite amused by the Kender at first and taught him their language. There were somewhat less amused with the Kender over time as many of their possessions inexplicably ended up in his pouches; and soon enough; Grackle found himself on the road again. Shrugging his broad-for-a-Kender shoulders; he soon found himself on the outskirts of the tree-top town o f Solace…

DM Notes 1: One player was absent during this session; but the others rolled up the stats of their "Second" Characters; who will be serving as Prisoners in the Pax Tharkas mines (except for Blighthanas, who is the Player of Thorne's Second Character). These characters will include a Human Cleric; a Human 'Mountain Man' (Fighter with a few twists); and a Dwarven Warrior.

DM Notes 2: My apologies for the long time in between posts...this session was actually played about a month ago and the next session is tonight. These notes were complied by the player of Detlef...

Session 8: Written by Detlef's player...

Early Hiddulemont; 351 AC; Kharolis Mountains/Fortress of Pax Tharkas

Our heroes find themselves in a troll cave after traveling towards Pax Tharkus, having been rescued with Blythans by his brother Porthios and thier Elven friends.

Blythanas' father; Solostaran, the 'Speaker of the Suns' and King of Qualinesti; asks our heroes to help fight the Red Wing of the Dragon Army that is about to destroy their land. The Elves explain that while they could certainly fight against the humanoid troops of the Red Wing quite effectively in their forested land; they can't do anything against the fire-breathing Red Dragons. Therefore; they plan to evacuate Qualinesti and flee across the western sea to the island of Southern Ergoth.

However; they need to distract and delay the Dragon Army. The plan is to rescue the humans hostages captured from Solace, Gateway, Haven and other settlements in Abanisinnia that the Red Dragon army have in the Iron Mines making weapons. The men are doing most of the mining while their captive wives and children are held hostage to ensure their good behavior.

Our heroes; along with Blighthanas as a guide; are following an ancient Elven map to a secret passageway into one of the two mountain peaks that the fortress of Pax Tharkas is built between. According to the map; the passageway leads into the lowest levels of the Eastern Tower of the fortress. Along the way; the party encountered a grisly scene of battle; with corpses of human guerrillas and Hobgoblins wearing Red Wing armbands. A lone survivor; the human warrior Eben is found and he decided to join the party.

After a fight with some trolls; it is late and the party finds the cave lair of the trolls and decide to utilize it for the night. Inside; the party find some treasure among the skeletal remains of some of the victims of the Trolls. In addition to a chest of gems and coins; a pair of Boots and some strange fingerless gloves are found. They prove to be magical in nature and Throne utilizes his magical 'Identifier' wand to learn that these items are "Boots of the Night" and "Magical Gloves of the Pugilist." Both the boots and gloves fit Quill; and they are therefore given to him.

In the morning; after Goldmoon utilizes her healing spells on the injured members of the party; Blythanas leads the team to a secret entrance on the face of a mountain and then pulls out a glowing gem that opens a large, hidden stone door into the 'Sla Mori' tunnels.

The team goes into the tunnel and heads south and east. They eventually find a man made wall that's actually a secret door to a cell that contains zombies. Fergus, Grackle, and Detlef fight the zombies and Detlef ultimately slays both. The party also finds a pit trap, but they eventually make their way to a room with intricate carvings which Blighthanas realizes is the crest of the legendary Kith-Kanan's royal guard.

While the rest of the party hesitates; the ever curious Grackle opens the door and steps into the chambers; which soon leads to numerous doors inside the room opening all at once and dozens of zombies come shambling out. Goldmoon quickly uses her Clerical Power to Turn Undead and this leads to maybe a quarter of the horde retreating. This still leaves well over twenty to deal with; so the heroes retreat out of the area, and the group soon learns that the zombies don't give chase.

The party then make their way to another chamber with a throne and the remains of the founder of Qualinesti himself; Kith Kanan; still sitting on his throne. Grackle and Riverwind notice odd snake-like tracks in the room. Suddenly, a huge Slug bursts into the room and moves upon our heroes.

Thorne casts magic missles, Ebben hurls his dagger, Fergus gets a hit with his crossbow, Blythanas scores a strike with his bow and arrow, but the slug is still feisty and it spits brown acid goo at Detlef, which melts his sword. Grackle attempts to retrieve a sword laying by the late Kith Kanan to Detlef, but it magically appears in Detlef's hand.

Thorne, Ebben, Riverwind, and Goldmoon all strike the slug, but the slug bites Blythanas; wounding him greviously. Thorne gets a mighty blow with his last magic missle spell and then Grackle, who had climbed up onto the top of the throne, "courageously" (according to him) or "insanely" (according to the rest of the party), leaps onto the slug and slices it to death with his axe.

Thorne utilizes his wand uses to learn that Detlef's new sword is powerfully enchanted. It is called "Wyrm Slayer" and it is powerful against dragons. Detlef also gets a vision from Kiri-Jolith, whereupon the God tells him that the weapon was indeed meant for him.

Our heroes then do some more exploring and eventually they discover a secret door that leads into a chamber filled with dust-covered, useless gold bars; a treasure horde from ancient days which is little more than junk in the modern era. They then find a chamber that is currently serving as the Pax Tharkus Cellars; complete with crates full of looted goods from Solace, New Ports and other Abanassinian towns...

Default DL 2: Part IV

DL 2: Part IV: "Investigating Pax Tharkas..."
    Our Heroes:

Fergus never knew his Elf parent and he was soon orphaned into the streets of New Ports. Living on the streets; Quill soon learned the stealthy arts needed to survive; but he may have turned out much for the worse if a kindly old Dwarf hadn't taken him in. He maintained his streetwise skills and knowledge; but soon developed a good nature and became friends with a pair of humans from better walks of life than he; Detlaf and Thorne.

2. Detlef Ironside: Male Solamnic Human; 4th level Fighter; Alignment: Good

Detlef grew up in New Ports; the son of a pair of Solamnic exiles, who ran a general goods store. His father though told Detlef that his father (Detlef's grandfather) had been a well-respected Knight of Solamnia who had been forced to send his son and wife south due to the rebellions and uprisings sweeping thru Solamnia at the time. He gave Detlef an amulet with the symbol of the Solamnic Knights as a memento. Detlef's father moved to New Ports in Abanassina and grew up and married a store-owner and the two of them had a son several years later. Detlef, growing up, became good friends with the scholarly Thorne and feisty half-elf; Quill. As a teenager; Detlef feasted on his father's stories of the Knights and when Detlef was 17, his father left him the amulet and told him to help his mother run the store while he took a trip to try and figure out what happened to his father and to try and find the Knights. Detlef never saw his father again; but he carries the amulet to this day and soon apprenticed himself to the town guard; where he learned his skills at arms. Now in his early thirties; Detlef has left the guard and is ready to see where his life might take him next.

Thorne grew up the son of a scribe and a healer in the town of New Ports and it soon became clear that he was every bit as intelligent and scholarly of mind and had the healing touch of his parents. He also displayed an aptitude for magic as a child and was soon enrolled as an apprentice to a kindly old white-robe mage. Over the years; Thorne did very well and soon had his own spellbook with several spells in it. When he wasn't studying; Thorne became fast friends with the Solamnic exile Thorne and the orphaned Half-Elf; Quill. Thorne's life would be forever changed the day that and odd red-robed mage named Bargle came to visit his old teacher.

Grackle was born and raised in Hylo, on Southern Ergoth. Growing up to be an extremely agile and nimble Kender; Grackle was also quite brawny for a member of his race. Hit with wanderlust like most Kender; Grackle ventured out into the larger world and soon found himself onboard a large ship whose crew were NOT so thrilled to find him there and promptly dumped him off at their first port of call; in a land Grackle found out was called ‘Abanasinia’. Wandering the area; Grackle eventually encountered some Plainsmen; some of whom were quite amused by the Kender at first and taught him their language. There were somewhat less amused with the Kender over time as many of their possessions inexplicably ended up in his pouches; and soon enough; Grackle found himself on the road again. Shrugging his broad-for-a-Kender shoulders; he soon found himself on the outskirts of the tree-top town o f Solace…

DM Notes 1:All players except for Quill's were here for this session...
    Session 9: Written by Grackle's player...

Early Hiddulemont; 351 AC; Fortress of Pax Tharkas
    The group entered a cellar filled with crates. Grackle examined a few of them and found them filled with personal items from the lands conquered by the dragon army.

We heard noises behind the exit door and fearing the worst and hearing the telltale hiss of a draconian language; a plan was made to throw a crate through the door hopefully smashing into one of the creatures. Fate smiled down on us and we flung open the door and hurled the crate into a Kapak draconian who must have been having the strangest day. Fate then frowned upon us as there were 6 other Kapaks waiting in the room.

A fight ensued. The kills came fast and furious, Detlef and Grackle each killing one before they could react. Goldmoon waved her hands and Grackle's axe started glowing. (DM's note: BECMI Cleric spell 'Striking' cast on it) Blythanas, Eben, Riverwind, and Thorne each notch a kill before one tried to run away. Grackle hurled his battle axe and missed badly while Quill chased the drac down and tackled him from behind.

Upon questioning of the survivor, the group learned of a Lord Verminaard and two Red Dragons, Ember and Flamestrike, living in the keep. They also learn of the general layout of the fortress. The drac is tied up and tossed in the cellar room with the crates.

Opening the southern door onto a hallway, the party moved to a door and they listened and then talked through the door to a human woman named Stacy. Inside they found dozens of female hostages and an old man named Elistan dying in the corner. The leader of the group is named Marietta, and she told the group more of the layout and the routine for the keep, including daily excursions to the mines and childrens room to reassure the other captives. Goldmoon did her best to convert Elistan. They learned that the dragon Flamestrike is caring for the children hostages upstairs and thinks of them as her own children. There are two other woman hostage rooms.

Hearing that there is a room full of Gully Dwarves nearby, Grackle persuaded the party to check them out. Peeking in gully dwarf room, they find and ride a dwarf catapult. They talk to High Klad Drooth, leader of gully dwarves in the keep and learn that a gully dwarf had been taken prisoner. Supposedly 'Wiser' heads suggested that the party sleep the night in hostage room with the human women as opposed to with the much more interesting gully dwarves.

Wandering around in the morning resulted in finding a locked storage room with large oil barrels. Upstairs they learn where the childrens room is and that there is a door from there to the outside and where a path leads to the mine area where the men are kept. There are also steps leading up and a large door guarded by a few Draconians.

Thorne created a diversion with a phantasmal gully dwarf, and four of the party (Grackle, Thorne, Quill and Detlef) disguised themselves as women and blended with the group of hostage women going to help men and children; broke off from the group to do some exploring.

They sneaked around corner, and entered a large hall with many doors. The far south door turned out to be a prison door, Grackle unlocked it and found a prisoner. We freed Sestun. (gully) who turned out to have been the Gully who broke the lock on the prison wagon.

Sounds of hobgoblins on middle south door led the party to move onward.

The closest south door opened to a kitchen with gullies cooking dinner and inches of gravy on floor. Grackle tasted the gravy and was violently ill for a while.

Upstairs they find a dead end landing with a secret door found by Grackle. This door opened into a large corridor with a huge chain stretching left and right beyond sight. The chain had six foot links, one foot in diameter, and matched the one they found in the Sla more.

A small crack in the wall caught many an eye and people listened at it. The voice of Lord Verminard was heard berating a familiar hobgoblin, we also learn that they have captured the elf maiden Lauranna.

The party followed the chain, finding a room with smaller chains connected to large blocks of granite. Hopefully the defense mechanism we so desperately needed to find. The main set of double doors upstairs, led to a large room, full of paintings showing the history and trials of Pax Tharkas.

Last edited by maxvale; 02-28-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Default Finishing Up DL 2

DL 2: Part V: "Breakout from Pax Tharkas..."
    Our Heroes:

2. Detlef Ironside: Male Solamnic Human; 4th level Fighter; Alignment: Good

Detlef grew up in New Ports; the son of a pair of Solamnic exiles, who ran a general goods store. His father though told Detlef that his father (Detlef's grandfather) had been a well-respected Knight of Solamnia who had been forced to send his son and wife south due to the rebellions and uprisings sweeping thru Solamnia at the time. He gave Detlef an amulet with the symbol of the Solamnic Knights as a memento. Detlef's father moved to New Ports in Abanassina and grew up and married a store-owner and the two of them had a son several years later. Detlef, growing up, became good friends with the scholarly Thorne and feisty half-elf; Quill. As a teenager; Detlef feasted on his father's stories of the Knights and when Detlef was 17, his father left him the amulet and told him to help his mother run the store while he took a trip to try and figure out what happened to his father and to try and find the Knights. Detlef never saw his father again; but he carries the amulet to this day and soon apprenticed himself to the town guard; where he learned his skills at arms. Now in his early thirties; Detlef has left the guard and is ready to see where his life might take him next.

DM Notes 1: Finnally had everybody at a session again; YAY! These sessions were played a couple of week's ago; due to my new shift work; not sure when the next session will be. Next session will formally introduce numerous new PCs/NPCs as well as beginning the setup for the 'break' of the PCs into two groups for the divergent parts of the series (i.e. DL6-9 and DL10, 12-14)

DM Notes 2: Session 10 recorded by Quill's player. He did this EXTREMELY barebones...in bullet points....

Early Hiddulemont; 351 AC; Fortress of Pax Tharkas

• from the art gallery, found another room with mirrors, saw reflection of Verminard and the dragon Ember; party exited room immediately
    • snuck with women at appointed time to infiltrate children's room when escorted by hobgoblins who came to fetch them
    • in children's room, found the other dragon, Flamestrike, who was quite docile and only informed the "women" of certain children to watch out for as they had colds, etc.
    • took children outside and saw carts of food being taken to the mines; PCs help bring the carts
    • In the tunnel entrance to the mines, the PCs saw many humans along with one dwarf with 12 Baaz draconians guarding them.
    • The daring plan: Have the men in the mines start a huge riot when they hear the PCs spring the enormous rock trap at the towers. Then Eben, Goldmoon and Riverwind, with the help of Quill and Thorne will lead women and children out, while the others get Lauranna.
    • Trap is sprung; extremely loud noise that gives the signal to the miners to start their riot and for the various groups of PCs to do thier appointed tasks (i.e. Get the women and children out, group that springs trap goes to Verminaard's quarters to get Lauranna)
    • In the ensuing fights, Quill and Thorne kill 2 Baaz right outside the door to the outside from the Children's room, while Grackle, Detlef and Blythanus release an unguarded Lauranna; Grackle hurt by poison needle trap; but successfully makes his Saving Throw.
    • The men; with thier mining picks and shovels defeat the Baaz guarding them and rush towards the women and children pouring out. A small party of Hobgoblins emerge from other Tower; but seeing the numbers facing them; do not attack.
    • As the prisoners are sorting themselves out into families, Verminaard appears above them all on a flying Ember's back. He threatens from the air to attack them and kill them all, and at this point, a thouroughly desperate and insane Flamestrike bursts out and intervenes to defend her "children" (the human children whom she has mistaken for her own wyrmlings) against the Ember and Verminaard.
    • Verminard, mounted on top of Ember and wielding a large mace, is wounded in the fight but a couple of the PCs see that he heals himself.
    • As this is unfolding, the refugees gather up what carts of supplies and clothing they can and begin to flee to the south.

Default .....Intermission....

My apologies to anyone who has been following this thread and waiting for an update (probably no-one...but a man can dream! )

Due to a job change that has put me on a 12 hour shift job that rotates what days I work each week, including weekends, needless to say; My Gaming time has taken a HUGE hit.

This being said; I DID managed to get a pair of Dragonlance session IN in the past three months; during which we played an abbreviated DL 3; introduced some new PCs (the 'alternate' characters who will play one set of the modules at the 'break' in DL 6); and lost a player. (Quill's player bowed out).

At the moment; I am attempting to see if I can find a replacement player or two to continue this adventure series.....I will also post update notes in the near future.

Anyway....sorry for the LLLLOOOOONNNNNGGGG delay!