Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhaj's Test of High Sorcery

DM: on the stone table he finds a flash of blue liquid and notes nearby for an endure elements potion
    Rhaj (Ross): As he discovers each of these things, he relates the news to the drac using terms he could understand.
    DM: he finds several scrolls. a quick perusal of the titles reveals limited wish, identify, meteor swarm.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Ah hah! Here we have magical spells that will be useful." He told the drac naming both the limited wish and meteor swarm.
    DM: "Thats exactly what I wanted to hear," said Nagash. He then balled up his fist and punched Rhaj in the back of the head.
    DM: Rhaj takes 4 points of damage from the punch.
    DM: OOC: Say hello to Rhaj's Caramon moment
    Rhaj (Ross): "Ow," Rhaj snarled, hurt more by the betrayal than by the blow. "Nagash..."
    DM: "Sorry Rhaj, but things have changed," said Nagash.
    DM: OOC:
    DM: Roll for intiative
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - 1d20+3=5+3=8
    DM: Congrats! Rhaj goes first
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Lucky
    DM: OOC: Nagash rolled a 3 and even with his +2 not enough to beat you
    DM: OOC: BTW in case I didn't mention it prior to getting punched in the head Rhaj was at full HP
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Cool was wondering about that
    Rhaj (Ross): The words of this spell came easily to Rhaj, if it it was successful it wouldn't hurt the drac. OOC Casts Deep Slumber
    DM: Caster Level check
    Rhaj (Ross): 1d20+3=11+3=14
    DM: OOC: You lucky SOB! You beat his Spell Resistance and he rolls a 1 on his Will save!
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - LOL!!!
    DM: Of course he also missed his AoO....
    DM: Nagash pressed a stud on his claws and reared his right hand back to strike Rhaj. He blinked his eyes then pitched forward sound asleep.
    DM: The red robe who had said nothing thus far spoke, "Putting him to sleep is not going to keep him from getting his hands on the magic items in this room. What do you intend to do with them?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "Once I bind Nagash, I will look for some way of re-sealing the door or sending the these items to Wayreth." He replied even as he went to work. "If I have to I will carry the things there myself, but I hope to find something in here, maybe in one Frostfall's spellbook."
    DM: The red robed figure nodded
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Is the anything like rope or wire to bind the drac in the room?
    DM: Yeah you find some rope
    Rhaj (Ross): Moving carefully so as to not awaken the drac, Rhaj tied his former friend - using more rope than necessary. Once he had the drac tied he began to remove as much of Cobble's armour, so Nagash didn't have access to any hidden blades.
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

DM: In just a few minutes Rhaj has Nagash disarmed and bound.
    Rhaj (Ross): True to his word the hob began to search for a way to protect the precious magic gathered in this room. His first thought is to examine the spellbooks and locate an Arcane Lock type spell.
    DM: He finds such a spell in one of Frostfall's spellbooks
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Does he need to rest to study it in this surreal enviroment or is there a priviso to fast track this. Sacrifice a memorised spell to fearn this one?
    DM: nah fast track it. He reads the words from the book
    Rhaj (Ross): Reading the words from the page the hob reignites the power of the Arcane Lock.
    DM: is he doing this outside the door or while he's still inside. I'm assuming he's outside the room.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Inside it says in the spell description, the caster can freely pass through it.
    DM: Ah, is he taking Nagash withi hinm when he leaves?
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Definitely, leaving the armour behind and dumping the drac in a puddle.
    Rhaj (Ross): Revenge is wet
    DM: indeed.
    Rhaj (Ross): Moving through the rubble, Rhaj paused and looked back to Nagash who was struggling against his bindings, "I'm sorry you gave up hope, truly sorry."
    DM: Nagash screamed at Rhaj as he moved away from him. The red robe put her hand on Rhaj's shoulder. One minute they were in the rubble strewn street; the next they were in a cemetery.
    Rhaj (Ross): Jerking his shoulder out from under the hand of the red robe, the hob scanned the immediate area for any signs of danger. OOC - Perception check 1d20 +8=19+8=27
    DM: Rhaj doesn't see anything dangerous but he does notice the headstone for Mackenzie
    Rhaj (Ross): "Oh no..." Rhaj said as he moved to the grave bearing the name of his friend. Nagash had said that they were dead, but considering his betrayal the hob had secretly been hoping it was a lie.
    DM: Nearby Rhaj noticed headstones for Kristianna, Clarissa, and Shayera
    DM: The Red Robe remained silent and allowed Rhaj to take in what he'd seen.
    Rhaj (Ross): The hob's guts twisted and his heart ached as much as earlier when witnessing his birth and his mothers death.
    DM: The Red Robe reached out as if to touch Rhaj's shoulder and instead shoved him backward. He fell into a hole directly behind him.
    DM: Directly above him was another headstone – His
    Rhaj (Ross): Letting loose a stream of goblin curse words. he tried to grab at the edge of his grave as he went sailing by, but he had been taken unawares and landed heavily. "Are trying to say my current path will lead to my death?" He snarled struggling to regain his breath after the sudden impact. "Big deal, I'm headed that way regardless - we all are. I'd rather go fighting for what I believe in, than cowering under a bed like a human or in a study like an indifferent Red Robe!"
    DM: The Red Robe knelt down next to the hole, "Class dismissed."
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

Rhaj(Ross): "Go chew on a fireball, cousin!"
    DM: The scene faded once more and Rhaj found himself back in the Hall of Doors. The red robed figure was now gone. All that remained was the white robed figure and his door.
    Rhaj(Ross): Spitting grave dirt out of his mouth, the hob stalked to the last door and entered. He didn't bother greeting his brother white robe, not when the bastard was likely to toss him in a sewer somewhere.
    DM: Rhaj entered the door and found himself in the main hall of Frostfall Manor. Everything was just as he left it a few short hours ago. No one was in the main hall at the moment besides he and the white robed figure.
    Rhaj (Ross): His first instinct was to find Nagash and smack him in the back of the head, then ask him how he liked it, but he thought better of it and went looking for Mac. The kender-kin was the heart of their little group and Rhaj was worried about him after the previous encounter.
    DM: Rhaj passed Nagash as he was leaving the kender-kin's room. Nagash started to say something to Rhaj but apparently thought better of it.
    DM: "He is not the same individual you faced in the last challenge," said the White Robe. "That said, he does bear watching; as does the one in this room."
    Rhaj (Ross): Not wnting pass up such an opportunity, Rhaj reached out slapped the drac up the back of the head. "Next time you hit me from behind I won't just put you to sleep I'll turn you into a cockroach and feed you to me ferret!" He snarled at drac. He didn't care that Nagash wouldn't understand. "Behave!" He then marched into Mac's room not bothering to knock.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Rhaj be going 'round the bend
    DM: OOC: So it would seem.
    DM: Mac was sitting on the bed with Ears. Around the neck of the dog was the holy symbol once worn by Kiizan. Mac looked up at Rhaj, "Hiya Rhaj," he said. "Like Ears' new collar?"
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj couldn't help but smile at the sight of Mac at ease with his ugly mutt. A true heartfelt smile. It felt like the first time he'd done that in years. "Kiizan, would be very proud, my friend."
    DM: "I hope so," said Mac who was unusually quiet. "I miss him. He was my best friend."
    Rhaj (Ross): "I bet he is waiting for you somewhere, so the two of you can go on to the beyond together," he winked a Mac, "When you are ready to, that is."
    DM: The White Robe leaned in and said, "He is a wild mage. Though you call him friend; one day you may have to destroy him to preserve the magic. Are you willing to take such actions as are necessary? Are you willing to put the magic above all else - friendship, love, even your own life?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "Shows how little you know him, brother," Rhaj snapped back. "If he became a danger he would want me too." Turning to confront his brother, he drove a finger into the mages chest. "Magic above all is the provence of the red robes, I am white in my soul regardless what you or them," he waved a hand to take in everything, "Say." "Solinari values life, he wants us to use our power to protect the good and innocent like Mac." Rhaj jabbed with his finger again, "Yes I i wil protect the craft, lay my life down for it, but there is a greater magic - life. I will protect life too, as Solinari wills it!"

- Harry Dresden -

DM: Mac looks at Rhaj confused. "Rhaj, who are you talking to?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "Wizards, Mac they're talking to me via magic." It was true enough. "Nosey sods, I know." He grinned, "I'll ask them to keep out of your room," but I doubt they'll listen, he added silently.
    DM: "Oh okay," he said nonchalantly.
    Rhaj (Ross): Smiling at Mac's ready acceptance, Rhaj reached out and scrated ears' ears. "You really going to leave... after? Nagash..." The hob sighed. "Nagash should leave and you stay, what he did was wrong. totally and completely."
    DM: "Well spoken, Rhaj," said the white robe. He gestured and the scene fell away leaving the two of them alone in the Hall of Doors. The white robe removed his hood and underneath was the face an old grizzled mercenary with one eye: Rhaj's old mentor, Patch Half-Elven.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Patch?" Rhaj was stunned at the appearance of the old merc. "I...I...I" Gulping he foirced the words from his thorat. "I had not thought you practiced the craft any more, foolish I suppose." "I'm sorry about the finger," he apologised, blushing furiously.
    DM: "I have watched your Test with great interest my friend," he said. "You held firm to your convictions despite the temptations placed before you. You showed mercy, even when there was no reason for you to grant any. Finally, you showed great wisdom in realizing that nothing is more precious than the pursuit of good and the protection of the innocent. You have achieved all that I could have hoped. Your parents would be proud - Magus."
    Rhaj (Ross): "Was it just an illusion? Could I have saved them?" His voice was full of bittersweet regret. He completely ignored the word Magus - that had to sink in a bit first.
    DM: "Yes, my friend, " said Patch, " it was all just an illusion. You did not really travel in time. There was nothing you could have done to save them. The Test is different for everyone. It leaves its scars on our minds and spirits as well as our bodies. My Test cost me an eye and some bad nightmares. I don't profess to know what your test cost you, but I'll wager your scars are as deep as mine. The Test is designed to teach us something about ourselves; not just the way we use our magic, but how we react to the world around us. Judging from your Test, you seemed a little gun shy. Anything you want to talk about?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "Got a decade?" He asked with a grin. The smile didn't reach his eyes, his emotions were still too raw. "My friends need me, there is a battle coming." Wrapping his arms about his old mentor, he embraced the man he had always considered a second father. "If I live, I will tell you all. It's quite a tale actually."
    DM: Patch reached to his belt and removed his dagger still in its sheath. He handed it to Rhaj. "This is a gift from Conclave. Its name is Deliverance. It is a +1 dagger of spell storing and will serve you well.
    DM: Patch opened the door behind them leading to Rhaj's room. "Fare well for now, my friend. Perhaps one day we shall meet again."

- Harry Dresden -

A few things about this transcript of last night's game. First, I haven't cleaned it up yet; it is just the raw footage of what occurred. Also, you can tell that after the section in the ruins of Tarsis I was getting tired and although I should have called it at that point and picked it up again later, I wanted to finish it; so that is the reason the final section of the Test was shorter and less detailed than either of the other two. Finally, I tried to incorporate as many elements as I could from Towers of High Sorcery whether I succeeded or failed in that regard is open to speculation.

I haven't had that much fun in a long time though. Thanks to Ross for a thoroughly enjoyable game and to our lone spectator, Heine for watching as the events unfolded. Thanks Guys.

- Harry Dresden -

I wish I could have been there too, but something about sleep and going to class this morning seemed to take precedence.

Bravo on a Test well done, guys.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Chello!

Nice! If I ever have to run a test... Very nice synopsis.
    "It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
    Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"

Very well done!!! My one critique is that I''m pretty sure a student who passes the Test is supposed to figure out what their magic item does on their own. Nice job though.