Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhaj's Test of High Sorcery

Default Rhaj's Test of High Sorcery

Last night I ran one of the characters in my Heroes of Defiance campaign through his Test of High Sorcery. We played via Skype and the game took 9 hours! I figure since the subject of how to run a Test of High Sorcery often comes up on the boards, I'd post the transcript of this Test here for others to view and perhaps draw inspiration from.

So here then is Rhaj's Test of High Sorcery.
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

DM: Rhaj was awakened suddenly by the feeling of someone shaking his shoulder. He opened his eyes and looked up into the ghostly face of Albor Frostfall – Kristianna’s Father. How could this be? The man was dead. He looked down at Rhaj and said, “It’s time.”
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj shivered the shades words could mean only one thing. His Test.
    DM: Albor hovered just a few inches off the floor. His ghost bore the grisly wound that had killed him; though it no longer seemed to cause him pain. He looked at Rhaj and said, "Prepare yourself Rhajnarash of Sanction for today you will be Tested."
    Rhaj (Ross): Raising from his bed the hob reached for his pack and pulled out his set of white robes quickly donning them. Rubbing his fingers over his spellbook, he prayed silently to Solinari to watch over him tonight. Tying the pouch that contained his ferret to his belt next to his dagger, he turned to the ghost and said, "I am ready."
    DM: Lord Frostfall floated over and stood next to the door exiting Rhaj’s room. " When you leave this room you will enter the first area of the Test. Outside this door you will discover three doors. These doors indicate the past, present, and future. Behind each door is an area designed to test many things but first among them is your knowledge of magic, your dedication to the continuation of magic, and your ability to use magic responsibly. You will enter each door once, and then return to the hall of doors. Each door once taken will become further barred to you. I should warn you, the Test can prove deadly. Should you wish to walk away now that is your choice, but you would be magically neutered removing all but the merest traces of your magic. Do you accept the risks?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "Do you really need to ask?" Rhaj snorted. He was afraid; there was question about that, but there was also little choice as to Rhaj's path in life. Come what may, even if it cost him his life, he was a wizard.
    DM: Albor nodded, "For those such as us, there can only ever be one choice. However, the choice to leave is always given whether or not the aspirant takes it. It is a time honored tradition. It is also tradition that I ask who to send your belongings and remains (if any) to should you fail. Do you wish them to be delivered to one of your friends or is there another?"
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj shrugged, he didn't have much of anything to leave to anyone. "I want my spellbook to be passed along to another apprentice..." He shrugged. "Chuck me and the rest." "I do ask that my mentor Patch Half-Elven be notified and... Kristianna, Mac, Valtan... Nagash - the murdering bum" These last three words were muttered in goblin and not meant for the shades ears - although Rhaj knew Frostfall probably understood regardless.
    DM: "It will be done as you ask," said Albor. "When you are ready step through the door into the Hall of Doors. The door back will not open again except with your success or failure in the Test. Even if it did or you succeeded in some how forcing it open; you would not find yourself in Frostfall Manor but in the Tower of Wayreth. One more piece of advice from an old wizard - the more you give of yourself in the Test the greater the dangers, but also the greater the rewards. Good Luck Mageling."
    Rhaj (Ross): "Thank you my lord, for everything." Rhaj replied. "May Solinari guide your steps unto the next stage in your journey."
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC- Hey Heine Still writing Gary...
    “There's always, always a choice. My options might really, truly suck, but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice.”

- Harry Dresden -

DM: The Shade of Albor Frostfall began to fade, but before it faded completely Albor said, "Tell Kristianna the jewel is the key......." And then he was gone.
    Rhaj (Ross): Slipping a hand into his belt pouch, the hobgoblin retrieved Vrahk his familiar. "Time to face our destiny my friend. Come what may, I am glad we walked this path together." The ferret chittered and then scampered up his arm to take his familiar place on Rhaj's shoulder. Moving to the door the hob exited into the Tower of Wayreth and into The Hall of Doors Frostfall had called it.
    DM: The door closed behind Rhaj. It was still there; it hadn't disappeared after he'd exited the room. It seemed to serve as a reminder that the only way out was in victory or death. True to Frostfall's word there were three doors - one black, one white, and one red. What he had neglected to mention were the robed figures standing next to each door. Each robed figure was dressed in the color of the robe that matched the door he stood next to. The faces of the faces figures were veiled in shadows; so it was impossible to know who they were.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Oooo spooky..." Rhaj said in goblin wiggling his fingers mockiingly. He wasn't fooling anyone his irreverant words were a cover for his fear. Never one to back down from his fears, Rhaj walked straight towards the black door. He would face what he feared the most head on, the evil in himself, the part of him that wanted the power of the darkness. "I am Rhajnarash, I seek entry."
    DM: The robed figure spoke in a voice which sounded vaguely familiar, "I am the Spectre of the Past," it said. "I follow in your shadow and hide in the recesses of your mind. You cannot succeed unless you come to grips with me. If you would seek to confront your past, then enter Rhajnarash of Sanction."
    Rhaj (Ross): His past... Images from his past flickered through his mind unbidden - his father, Patch, the smoking volcanoes, the abject poverty... Reaching for the door the hob entered.
    DM: Inside everything was pitch black. Rhaj could not even see his hand in front of his face. He couldn't even be sure what direction he was going. Up ahead there appeared a light.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Wonderful... Bloody wonderful." He muttered in goblin. "Damnable melodramatic wizards." Murmuring the words of a cantrrip the hob concentrated on his hand making it glow ever so faintly. Using the dim light to guide his steps Rhaj moved towards the light. OOC - Casting Prestidigitation - using it to make light enough to walk without tripping on his robes and falling on his face.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - I'm assuming Rhaj only has the few spells memorised, he had left from the battle right?
    DM: OCC: Nope currently he has ALL his spells memorized.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - To quote the great sage Keanu - Whoa.
    DM: Rhaj created a weak light about equal to a candle flame; however it was enough to allow him to see where he was. He appeared to be in some sort of cave. There didn't seem to be any side passages near him, so Rhaj moved toward the light. It was a small orb at first, but as Rhaj walked the orb got bigger and bigger until he emerged from the mouth of a cave overlooking a city below surrounded by a moat of lava - Sanction: His home.

- Harry Dresden -

Rhaj (Ross): The bright red of the lava triggered a flood of memories, as did the familiar bitter reek of sulphur. Many were dark and unpleasant but there was his Father, Patch and the wonder of the newly discovered magic. Sucking in a large lungful of polluted air, the hob was subjected to coughing fit. Chuckling softly in resignation, he began to make his way down to the city that was his home.
    DM: There was a shuffle of feet behind Rhaj. He hadn't heard anyone or seen anyone in the tunnel.
    Rhaj (Ross): Spinning about, the words of spell leapt to the tip of his tongue.
    DM: Standing only a few paces behind him was the black robed figure that had been standing next to the door.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Silent feet you have there, my dark cousin" Rhaj growled before quickly casting a defensive spell. OOC - Casts Mage Armour.
    DM: "I am the Spectre of the Past," he said. "I follow where you go. I am always with you." Rhaj couldn't help thinking he'd heard the voice before. "You have nothing to fear from me except the dark recesses of your own mind."
    Rhaj (Ross): "Then I have much to fear," the hob quipped back with a humourless chuckle. Rhaj watched the black robe for several heartbeats sizing him up as best he could, before resuming his path. OOC - Trying to see if there is a double cross sneak attack coming Sense Motive check 1d20+9=2+9=11 Bugger...
    DM: Rhaj sensed no duplicity on the part of the black robe.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Lol of course
    Rhaj (Ross): BIC - He resumed walking towards the city.
    DM: The black robed figure followed Rhaj, moving as silently as the wind. It appeared that it had deliberately attracted Rhaj's attention; as if it wanted him to know that he was being followed; observed even.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Have you been to Sanction before," the hob asked his shadow as he went, his tone conversational. "I can show you the sights if you like?" He paused and grinned at the black robe. "That lava is hot enough to warm even the frozen heart of one your ilk, cousin."
    DM: "I am here to observe other sights," said the black robe. "As for my ilk, you might count yourself among them before all is said and done."
    DM: The black robe intoned the words of a spell. One minute you are on the road outside Sanction, the next you are in room. A woman is in labor and and a hobgoblin holds her hand.
    DM: OOC: BTW what are the names of Rhaj's parents?
    Rhaj (Ross): "Then I must remember to bathe in the lava..." Rhaj snorted, as they appeared in the room. Moving deliberately, Rhaj went to take a closer look knowing all the while what he would find. OOC - They were never named...
    DM: "Reash," said the woman. "Something is wrong. I can feel it." The woman gritted her teeth as a contraction hit. "Please, go find a mid-wife, or a mystic. Hurry!"
    DM: Reash noticed you and said, "Please watch over Erowen. I'll be back as soon as I can."

- Harry Dresden -

Rhaj (Ross): Gritting his teeth against the bittersweet pain in his heart, the hob looked for the first time in his memory on the face of his mother. Simply nodding to his father, as no words could pass his tongue, he moved to Erowen's side, his mother's side and took her hand. Forcing the tears back, he struggled form words of comfort, any words at all. "He'll be back," he assured her. But not in time and not with any help... his own mind practically shrieked at him.
    DM: "You can save her," said the black robe. "You were just a babe at the time, but now you have the power to set things right. You have the power to force one of those racist fools to save your mother. She doesn't have to die giving birth to you. You could have the family you always wanted. All you have to do is use your magic. Burn one of the fools to the ground and the rest will fear and respect you."
    Rhaj (Ross): The tears he'd been holding back now fell. The power of his magic sang in his veins; danced on the tip of his tongue and within his fingers. He could easily force those insipid and racist bastards to do what they should have done. The fire, the lightening would answer his call. Creatures never even dreamt of by those fools would obey his commands, creature wonderful and creatures dreadful. Rhaj shuddered as his emotions swept through him and the darkness threatened to take hold. The eyes of the woman struggling through childbirth sought his, a single bright spark to the overwhelming desparation. Could he sell his soul to save his mother's life?
    DM: Erowen gripped Rhaj's hand tightly and gritted her teeth. Beads of sweat covered her head. She looked over at Rhaj eyes full of love as if she saw something in him that he couldn't, "You are beautiful," she said. "I hope my son looks just like you. What's your name?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "Ah..." The darkness swimming in his mind, dissolved somewhat to her soft words. "Rhaj... Rhajnarash." He gripped her hand with both of his. "I wish I could do something... " He could, it would only take moments... and the death of a fool! Shuddering Rhaj made his choice and he knew a part of his soul would stay here forever, would die with his mother. Weeping openly, "I am sorry, so sorry..."
    DM: "Why are you sad," she asked. "Today is a happy day. Today my son will be born and I shall name him after you."
    DM: Moments later, Reash returned. "I'm sorry my beloved," he said. I approached several mid-wife's but none of them would come. They refused to help bring another... 'monster" ... into the world. Reash practically choked on the word monster. He took Rhaj's place next to Erowen and held her hand.
    DM: "The baby is coming," she said weakly.
    Rhaj (Ross): BRB
    DM: k
    Rhaj (Ross): Back
    Rhaj (Ross): Phone call
    DM: No worries.
    DM: Erowen screamed and gritted her teeth. She gave a mighty push and from where Rhaj stood he could see the head of the baby peaking out. Erowen instinctivley knew the baby was in danger and unconcerned with her self; she gritted her teeth and pushed again.
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj felt hopeless in all this power and what could do with it to save his mother - commit murder? A life for a life... the blood would be on his hands. "I'm sorry... Erowan."
    DM: To Rhaj's eyes, the baby seemed stuck.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Heal cheack
    DM: Reash could see she was having trouble delivering the baby he looked up at Rhaj, "Help her please!"

- Harry Dresden -

DM: OOC: yup
    Rhaj (Ross): 1d20+5=15+5=20
    Rhaj (Ross): Most of Rhaj's knowledge concerning healing was to do with treating battle wounds, but maybe he could do something...
    DM: Rhaj reached down and helped the baby wiggle through the birth cannal. Soon the child was free of the mother; however, there was a lot of blood. Something had ruptured insde Erowen during the delivery.
    Rhaj (Ross): "There is too much blood, from inside," Rhaj told his father even as he passed himself to Reash. "I..."
    DM: The baby was healthy but one look at Erowen told Rhaj all he needed to know. Erowen was dying.
    Rhaj (Ross): I could have stopped this, that thought bounced around Rhaj's mind. His sorrow was potent but the hob now realised if he had saved his mother he would have lost himself and all the good that he could do.
    Rhaj (Ross): He had a duty to his mother and his father to be the best he could be.
    DM: The black robe said, "Pathetic, all that power and you couldn't even use it to save your own mother. However, all is not lost perhaps another image from your past will arouse your desire to exercise the power you wield." The black robe tapped him on the shoulder and the scene vanished.
    DM: Instantly they found themselves in an alley. A group of human boys were following a younger version of Rhaj. They called him names and threw stones at him.
    DM: "Hey, ugly!"
    DM: "He's so ugly even his mom couldn't stand the sight of him."
    DM: "How do I get green skin," said a third. "Oh wait, I'm not a freak!"
    DM: The black robe said, "Remember this? You were on your way to visit Patch and those rotten boys decided to make sport of you." The young Rhaj tried to pay the boys no mind, but when they mentioned his mother it set him off and he launched himself at one of the boys.
    DM: "Help, get him offa me!" he yelled. The other boys pulled Rhaj off and held him while the third began beating him.
    DM: "Are you just going to stand there and let yourself get beaten up by them, or are you going to do something about it," asked the Black Robe. "Show them what true power is."
    Rhaj (Ross): "Yes," Rhaj snapped in reply. "I remember." Words of magic flowed from his lips, his fingers dancing in accompanimemt. OOC - Casts Sleep BIC - "You mistake magical power for True Power, True power is knowledge - wisdom."
    Rhaj (Ross): "The ability to know when to and when not to use whatever power you have."
    DM: The boys including Rhaj crumpled to the ground. Soon their snores echoed through the streets.
    Rhaj (Ross): Moving over to his younger self's side, he slapped his own cheek, waking the boy. "Go, before these halfwits wake."
    DM: "Bah," said the black robe. He grabbed Rhaj and in a flash they vanished from the alley and reappeared on a battlefield. The ground was strewn the dead and dying.
    DM: A hobgoblin man stood alone in a circle of the dead. He had run out of arrows and was moving from body to body picking up arrows and firing them as quickly as he could.

- Harry Dresden -

DM: "This was your father's last stand," said the Black Robe. "He was behind the enemy lines spotting for the catapults and he was cut off. He probably would have survived if those fools in Sanction could have gotten to him in time. However, once again their prejudice kept them from coming to his aid. After all why should they risk their necks for a blasted hob-goblin."
    Rhaj (Ross): "Why indeed..." Yet another shudder ran through his body, he had recognised the scene before the black robe had even spoken.
    DM: The black robe pinted to a nearby ridge. Atop it, a woman with fiery red hair sat astride a horse and she began singing. "That is the source of your father's death," he said. "If she finishes that song her zombie soldiers will kill him. All you have to do to save him is take her out. It should be easy; she's just a girl after all."
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Knowledge (History) check to recognise the the redhead. 1d20+14=16+14=30
    DM: It is hard to mistake her for anyone other than Mina.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Hey you could have been trying to trick me!
    DM: OOC: Could have been, but not this time.
    Rhaj (Ross): Mina, handmaiden of the One God. Like he could bring down MIna. Rhaj turned about looking for the fastest way to get his father out of here. Chanting his way through a spell he dropped webbing down on the cleric hoping beyond hope to distract her. He just needed a little time to clear the path for his father. OOC - Casts Web centred on Mina
    DM: The spell fizzled on Mina, but it did entangle several of her aides. Mina continued singing. The black robe said, "Better hurry up if you want to save your father. She's almost finished."
    Rhaj (Ross): Not even wasting breath on a curse, he quickly cast another spell summoning a great wolf from the beyond. OOC - Casts Summon Monster IV to get a dire wolf as near to his father as possible. BIC - "Reash! Get on the wolf, it'll carry you to safety!" He hoped his father would recognise him from his birth.
    DM: The dire wolf appeared near to Reash. Reash loaded an arrow into his bow and fired it at the beast, believing it had come for him. He apparently didn't hear you though as he scrambled to recover some more arrows. At that moment, Mina finished her song and the dead on the battlefield began to rise.
    DM: "Too late," said the Black Robe. And before your eyes the dire wolf and your father are swarmed by zombies.
    DM: The scene faded out and you are standing again in the Hall of Doors. The black robed figure is gone, only the figures in red and white robes remained as well as their doors.
    Rhaj (Ross): "How was I supposed to change anything here!" Rhaj snarled turning on the black robe. "That was Mina, chosen of Takhisis! My father was doomed, no matter what I did!" He raged.
    Rhaj (Ross): And he was raging to nothing...
    Rhaj (Ross): Turning about on his heel, the hob headed towards the red door and the red robed mage, Not even bothering to speak, he just entered.

- Harry Dresden -

DM: Rhaj stepped through the door into a cloud of mist. As with the pitch black tunnel it was hard to see more than a few inches into the mist. Behind him was the red robed figure. It said nothing but followed Rhaj. The mist began to thin out and slowly buildings began to appear; however, they weren't in very good repair.
    DM: Soon Rhaj could see clearly. All around him buildings lay in ruins and rubble covered the streets. It was eerily quiet.
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj was in no mood to talk to the red robe, he just kept moving one foot in front of the other. OOC - Perception Check looking for something anything he recognises 1d20+8=3+8=11
    DM: Rhaj found a blackened cobblestone pathway inside a wrought iron fence. It led up to the foundations of a building. He wasn't completely sure, but he believed he could be looking at Frostfall Manor
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj's pace quickened and he moved into ruined building looking for some sign, any sign of his friends.
    DM: He moved inside the building. It looked like something large had hit it. Large sections of the wall were completely gone. Rubble lay strewn on the floors. None of it looked recent. It looked as if whatever had done this did so a long time ago.
    DM: He looked around, but could find no trace of his friends. Just off the main hall he found a door bearing arcane sigils
    DM: Also a short distance away from the door was a blackened skelteon in tattered cloth of red and white.
    Rhaj (Ross): Moving carefully through the rubble the hob headed towards the door bearing the magical words. But noticing the skeleton, he quickly cast a cantrip that would allow him to see magical auras. OOC - Casts Detect Magic and studies everything carefully.
    DM: The aura of the door was almost blinding. The sigils on the door were glowing and were very powerful with at least half a dozen present, but the strongest of them all was the sigil in the center, a recessed eight-pointed star.
    Rhaj (Ross): The hob nodded but moved to the skeleton first kneeling tdown to examine it more closely.
    Rhaj (Ross): Perception Check?
    DM: OOC: Give me a Knowledge (arcana) check if you want to know the school of magic.'
    DM: Yeah Perception
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Knowledge (Acrana) 1d20+14=13+14=27 Perception Check 1d20+8=12+8=20 I seem to rolling a lot of teens tonight
    DM: INdeed. Thats good.
    DM: The aura of the door is Abjuration
    DM: As for the skeleton, he seemed to be wearing the uniform of the Tarsian Guard.
    Rhaj (Ross): Moving to the door Rhaj held out hand to feel the power oozing off it. Nodding to himself the hob cast another spell, one of opening.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Casts Knock
    DM: OOC: Need a caster level check
    Rhaj (Ross): Caster level check thingy 1d20+7+10=3+7+10 Is that correct?
    DM: yeah
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - I couldn't remember the details ((blush))
    DM: The door does not open.

- Harry Dresden -

Rhaj (Ross): OOC - of all the times to roll badly
    Rhaj (Ross): LOL
    DM: Had to happen sooner or later.
    Rhaj (Ross): Snarling his frustration the hob tried another spell. OOC - Dispel Magic
    Rhaj (Ross): 1d20+7=18+7=25 Better
    DM: The red robed figure says nothing. It simply watched as Rhaj went about his business.
    DM: The glow faded from the sigils. It appeared that Rhaj had succeeded in deactivating the magical effects on the door.
    DM: BTW I don't know if I mentioned it or not but as Rhaj has used each spell they have faded from his memory. Sorry if I didn't
    Rhaj (Ross): The hob smiled in triumph as his second spell succeeded and moved to open the door. OOC I was assuming that and crossing them off a list.
    DM: It is locked.
    DM: OOC: Your caster level check for knock didn't beat the DC of the lock.
    Rhaj (Ross): Nodding at the expected outcome, he examined the lock more closely. OOC Would the old standby work? Acid splash, ray of frost etc to damage the lock? He asks not having much hope...
    DM: Give me an intelligence check to appriase the lock
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC- 1d20+4=19+4=23 Dang I'm liking this dice!
    Rhaj (Ross):
    Rhaj (Ross): At least at the moment...
    DM: Rhaj examined the lock. It was clearly of superior quality; even his friends Mac and Nagash would have trouble with this one.
    DM: Rhaj heard the sound of footsteps behind him.
    Rhaj (Ross): Frowning the hob decided to study the door, but heard footsteps and so turned around
    DM: "Rhaj, is that you?" said a familiar voice
    DM: Turning around, Rhaj stared into the face of Nagash.
    Rhaj (Ross): "Nagash? What happened here?" He asked the drac. "Where is everyone?"
    DM: "Dead," said Nagash. The venom draconian looked like hell. Most of his armor was gone and one of his horns had been broken off. He still had the guantlets made for him by Cobble but they had seen hard use. "You disappeared before the battle with Flux and we didn't have the manpower pull off the rescue. Kristianna died in a vain attempt to save her sister. Flux absorbed Valtan and became a dragon - in fact, he's the one that did this. Mac and Shayera were killed by the Madroxi. I alone managed to escape. The Madroxi hunted me for a couple of months, and though it cost me a horn I managed to kill the son-of-a-bitch - the Prime Madroxi- not just one of his dupes"
    DM: He noticed that Rhaj was messing with the lock. Looks like you took down the sigils. Bout time, I've been trying for months to get into Frostfall's vault.
    DM: He stepped up, pressed a stud and extended his claws. He pressed a secong stud and they turned into pure light. Nagash rammed his right claw in and cut out the locking mechanism.
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj scowled remembering this was the future.
    DM: "Shall we," he asked opening the door.
    Rhaj (Ross): Nodding the hob, gestured with a sweep of his hand and followed the drac through the door.

- Harry Dresden -

DM: The study is decorated much like a wizards tower. Along the western wall are shelves of book on magical theory, magical instruction, and even several spell books; interspersed with books on history, law, biology, anthropology, and famous personages. Along the eastern wall are shelves of various spell components, magical and mundane.
    A large stone stable juts out of the nothern wall. It has several items sitting on it at the moment; none of which Kristianna has any idea about. An series of concentric circles dominates the center of the room. Each circle is composed of precious metals, and before the Cataclysm would probably worth a small fortune by itself.
    Besides Lord Frostfall's desk, the only other furnishings are Lord Frostfall's rocking chair and a cot. Albor's desk sits out from the southern wall; a book, quill & pen, and the stubs of several candles are the only decorations on it. One chair sits behind the desk and another in front of it.
    DM: All in all the place looks just as old FRostfall left it; albeit maybe with a fine layer of dust.
    DM: One the desk is also a small chest.
    Rhaj (Ross): "What were you after in here?" he asked the drac.
    DM: Something that the resistance in Under City can use to fight back against the Crimson Guard.
    DM: I figured Frostfall was bound to have something useful in here. Too bad he never told Kristianna what the key to the room was; or we may have stood a chance during the ill-fated raid.
    Rhaj (Ross): "You won't find a dragonlance in a wizards study Nagash," Rhaj said moving to the desk and studying the chest.
    DM: It appears to be a simple wooden chest.
    Rhaj (Ross): OOC - Can Cantrips be cast more than once?
    Rhaj (Ross): Normally yes but in the Test?
    DM: Yeah you can use cantrips at will still
    DM: conferred with Heine on it since he's the Pathfinder guru.
    Rhaj (Ross): Rhaj murmured through the words to the cantrip he'd so recently used. OOC - Casts Detect Magic checking everything again but specifically the chest.
    DM: The chest itself does not seem to be magical; however you detect a magic aura inside it. A quick scan of the room reveals several magical auras.
    DM: Nagash walks over to the desk. "DId you find something?"
    Rhaj (Ross): "There is something magical in the chest," Rhaj replied even as he stretched out a hand to open it.
    DM: Rhaj opened the chest to reveal a ring. It is a pewter ring carved to resemble twining branches and is set with a rose shaped ruby. It has a moderate aura of abjuration.
    Rhaj (Ross): "It has some sort of protective magic on it," he told the drac as he picked out of the chest.
    Rhaj (Ross): Moving about the room, the hob examined the other items that had had auras
    Rhaj (Ross): Hopefully he could find something that would be useful to Nagash
    DM: On a shelf he found a pair of ornate bracers with leather backing tooled in the elven style.
    DM: on a small stand he finds a vibrant purple prism

- Harry Dresden -