Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1706

Thread: Hourglass in the Sky

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,364

    Default

    When Virgil was assigned to the Black wing by Kitiara, he was honored. Then he met his irritable mount named Pitslang, he hated it from the beginning and the feeling was mutual. He had no control over the dragon like some, he didn't really care unless trouble aroused which of course it did.

    The battle was going fine until the bronze attacked in full force. Pitslang had no care for the human that he was carrying and Virgil knew immediately. He held on to his prized bow as the black dove deep into the bay and back out. Virgil coughed up the seawater in copious amounts still with the presence of mind to make sure he had his equipment. The rigorous training that Kitiara put all her troops through was paying off. Then the stubborn bronze launched an all out assault on Pitslang. Virgil felt as if he would be thrown, actually he was hoping for it when his saddle was torn free and he was falling. I hope they both kill each other. The man nicknamed "Killer" thought as he fell.

    He knew the impact of hitting the water wasn't going to be fun. But again the troops did training for such a problem. They practiced jumping oFf the highest cliff overlooking the bay in Sanction just incase this might occur. Virgil remembered thinking how absurd it was at the time, now... He clutched his bow between his arms which crossed his chest and he kept his legs together, yet angled slightly so when he hit the water his legs wouldn't snap.

    The impact was rough and even though he was already wet, the cold water still shocked him. The force of the "landing" tried to rip his bow from his hand but Virgil had a vice like grip on it. He didn't know how long he was underwater it seemed like centuries, but finally he broke the surface with a gasp of air to fill his lungs, his bow still in his hand! though the string had snapped. He tread water there for a moment taking inventory quickly, his pack was still on as well as his scythe and shortsword. He looked to the sky for a second hoping to see both dragons falling from it dead, he cursed both of them to the abyss. Then he tried to see where land was and started swimming in that direction.

    Taking 10 on perception check to see land for a 21
    Swimming in that direction 1d20(11)+8= 19
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 08-17-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Regina
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Tarvis waited for the knight to make his decision, but changed his mind. At the very least, he'd do what he could to try and help him out. He wasn't going to show everything he had, but hopefully it would give him an extra edge.

    "Jaminan dari semua dumak amarah"

    ---

    OOC:

    Touching Darvig with Protection from Evil. +2 Deflection to AC, +2 Resistance to saves for 6 minutes, immune to controlling/dominating spells.
    "The sword said nothing, but it brought out everything in him. All the hatred for being trapped in this time, the desire for vengeance..." -Antog Wolfherder, Key of Destiny, ICRP Forums

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    MAP

    Code:
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . .%. . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . . . . . . .x./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . .x./////
    //////. . . .x. . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . .b. . ./////
    //////. . . . . .c. . . .e. . . .
    //////. .x. . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./////
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . .t. . ./////
    . . . . . . . . . .d. . . ./////
    //////.x. . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    //////.x. . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . .S. . . ./////
    //////.x. . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . .n.n. . . ./////
    //////. . . . . .n.n. . . ./////
    //////. .1.1. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .1.1. .2.2. .3.3. . . . .
    //////. . . . .2.2. .3.3. . . . .
    //////. .4.4. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .4.4. .5.5. .6.6. ./////
    //////. . . . .5.5. .6.6. ./////
    //////. .7.7. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .7.7. .8.8. .9.9. ./////
    //////. . . . .8.8. .9.9. ./////
    //////. .D.D. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .D.D. .I.I. .E.E. ./////
    //////. . . . .I.I. .E.E. ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . .Z.Z. . . . ./////
    //////. . . . .Z.Z. . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    
    
    e - echo, b - bhatair, c - cariannan
    d - darvig, t - tarvis
    S - Soth, n's nightmare, 1-9, D, I, E, Z - mounted skeletal warriors
    % - dead man stabbed by draconian, x - other corpses
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 08-19-2010 at 01:37 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default

    Bowing his head in prayer momentarily, pleading to Paladine for forgivness and guidance, Darvig stepped forward...

    A fierce gust of wind whooshed down from the skies and across the thoroughfare, as if in direct response to Darvig’s pleas to Paladine. Stinging dust and debris momentarily blinded all, save Lord Soth, who’s nightmarish eyes were impervious to such things. A dragon had come deftly swerving over the top of a building, and with swift agility landed boldly in the center of the street, directly between Lord Soth and Sir Darvig. The dragon fearlessly faced down the death knight. As Echo’s eyes cleared after hastily rubbing them, the kender saw the wonderful dragon along with the others. Its lithe coppery wings had been the culprit of the dust clouds.

    “Fireflash!” Echo mouthed silently with awe.

    Atop the copper dragon was Tanis Half-Elven, sword drawn. All knew of him. He was a Hero of the Lance, renowned among the common folk of Ansalon for his role in stopping the Dark Queen and her dragonarmies.

    Lord Soth raised a hand, made visible only by the glove of chain steel he wore upon it, and pointed directly at the dragon.

    “Die!”

    At Lord Soth's command, Fireflash’s wings spread wide and low, quavering and tensing. Its body seemed frozen. The dragon’s neck suddenly snaked upwards to its full length, face pointed skyward toward the heavens, writhing violently. Fireflash unleashed a terrible, piercing shriek to the gods. The dragon collapsed, dead.

    Tanis stood in the street, having leaped off the dragon. But for a moment, he glanced back at Sir Darvig and Tarsis. The Hero of the Lance would never know, just how much he sounded like Cariannan and Bhatair.

    “Run! Make for the harbor where knights regroup! Run, now!”

    Turning back, Tanis Half-Elven braced to face the death knight alone.

    OOC
    Knowedge (nobility), (history), or (local) DC 10 (may be rolled untrained) to recognize Tanis Half-Elven, Hero of the Lance.
    Sir Darvig: Knowledge (nobility) d20+6= 9. Knowledge (history) d20+1= 15, success.
    Bhatair: Knowledge (nobility) d20+0= 17, success.
    Cariannan: Knowledge (nobility) can’t fail.
    Echo: Knowledge (nobility) can’t fail.
    Tarsis: Knowledge (nobility) can’t fail.
    Fireflash...
    Cariannan: Knowledge (arcana) d20+5= 6, fails.
    Echo: Knowledge (arcana) d20+10= 26. knows dragon is a copper dragon and its name is Fireflash, Tanis Half-Elven’s mount.
    Tarsis: Knowledge (arcana) d20+10= 30. knows dragon is a copper dragon and its name is Fireflash, Tanis Half-Elven’s mount.
    Echo: Knowledge (local) d20+11= 21. Knows harbor is to the north (towards the “top” of the combat map).
    Lord Soth: went.
    Back to you Guys!

    Code:
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . .%. . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . . . . . . .x./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . .x./////
    //////. . . .x. . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . .b. . ./////
    //////. . . . . .c. . . .e. . . .
    //////. .x. . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./////
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . .t. . ./////
    . . . . . . . . . .d. . . ./////
    //////.x. . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . .F.F.F.T. . . . . .
    //////. . . . .F.F.F. . . ./////
    //////. . . . .F.F.F. . . . . . .
    //////.x. . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . .S. . . ./////
    //////.x. . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . .n.n. . . ./////
    //////. . . . . .n.n. . . ./////
    //////. .1.1. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .1.1. .2.2. .3.3. . . . .
    //////. . . . .2.2. .3.3. . . . .
    //////. .4.4. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .4.4. .5.5. .6.6. ./////
    //////. . . . .5.5. .6.6. ./////
    //////. .7.7. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .7.7. .8.8. .9.9. ./////
    //////. . . . .8.8. .9.9. ./////
    //////. .D.D. . . . . . . ./////
    //////. .D.D. .I.I. .E.E. ./////
    //////. . . . .I.I. .E.E. ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    //////. . . . .Z.Z. . . . ./////
    //////. . . . .Z.Z. . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    //////. . . . . . . . . . ./////
    
    e - echo, b - bhatair, c - cariannan
    d - darvig (protection from evil), t - tarvis
    S - Soth, n's nightmare, 1-9, D, I, E, Z - mounted skeletal warriors
    % - dead man stabbed by draconian, x - other corpses
    F's - Fireflash (dead), T - Tanis Half-Elven
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 08-22-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!
    Posts
    12,527

    Default The Harbor

    The impact of hitting the waves was a brutal shock to Sir Virgil’s system. He had positioned himself to try to avoid broken bones, and somehow succeeded, though the pain of contact still dazed his senses for several moments until he realized he was deep underwater and desperately needed to breathe. Struggling to reach the surface, the thought of missing Pitslang’s death drove him on as he swam upwards.

    Sir Virgil broke the surface, breathing laboredly, treading and looking around, trying to get his bearings. Suddenly a shadow passed over him, and Pitslang crashed into the bay right near him, followed by the mighty bronze, who this time chased the black underwater, creating an even bigger splash, for bronze dragons were fond of the sea much like blacks, and could also breathe water.

    Large waves set in motion from the diving dragons suddenly overtook Virgil. For several moments he was dunked and dunked again beneath them, and could do nothing but take gulps of air when he could before being dunked again. Again, his training prevailed; he kept his calm, suffering through it. When the waves passed and Virgil could once again keep his head above water, he saw neither hide nor tail of either dragon. Virgil suddenly had the chilling feeling that Pitslang was passing right underneath him, like a shark circling around its wiggling prey from beneath the waves, preparing for ambush. Virgil wouldn’t put it passed the black dragon to use its stealth advantage to come shooting back out of the bay from right under him, and out of mere spite gobble him up in the process.

    Virgil had to act fast. He looked around as he tread water. The shore was far, very far. It would be a tough swim, though Virgil was confident he could make it given the time. He thought he saw Solamnics there, but he was too rattled to be sure. The sky was filled with battling bronze and black dragons. Every few moments, a great gout of blood or acid would rain into the bay nearby in a large sheet. The blood in the bay would draw hundreds of sharks to the area quickly, and Virgil suspected they were already here to investigate. The acid could be dangerous as well, if Virgil swam into a patch of it. Then Virgil saw a seaworthy boat, not far from him, perhaps a little more than a hundred feet off. It appeared to be still anchored, having chosen to do so further out from the docks than most ships. A few men, perhaps Ergothians, Virgil thought by the dark complexion of their skin, were standing in a line across the deck and looking out in his direction and pointing. They saw him. They were calling out to him, but Virgil’s ears were clogged with water, garbling their voices. There were no flags, Solamnic or otherwise, waving from the masts of the boat. But Virgil caught the name of the vessel, displayed in green paint across the side of the ship...The Merchant Monsoon.

    OOC
    Sir Virgil: 42 damage from 100 ft. fall into water. Since you RPed trying to position to fall into the water in a less-damaging way, I’ll allow a Swim check DC 20 for half damage. d20+8= nat 20 for 28! Only takes 21 damage from fall into water.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 08-19-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

    “I will,” Darvig uttered.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Posts
    6,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bong Bellowsmoke View Post
    A dragon had come deftly swerving over the top of a building, and with swift agility landed boldly in the center of the street, directly between Lord Soth and Sir Darvig.
    The dragon's appearance chased away the last tendrils of fear from Bhatair's mind and he smiled. Hefting his hammer, he took a step forward.

    "By Reorx's hammer, that right there's a thing of beau-"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth
    “Die!”
    The sentence died on his lips, killed by a single word uttered by the evil knight. A single word that had the power to slay a dragon.

    Bhatair turned to face the others. "You heard the man, tactical retreat's the phrase of the hour. Let's go!" The dwarf had no intention of leaving the knight behind, though, and he drew his warhammer and shield and took a defensive stance, ready for whatever may come. "Knight, let's go! Today's not a good day to die!"

    OOC:
    Move action to draw warhammer.
    Move action to draw shield.
    Heine Kim Stick

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Any jail cell of your local town
    Posts
    4,364

    Default

    Yes sharks. Everyone's fear... either drowning or being eaten by sharks and Virgil was surrounded by both. Seeing The Merchant Monsoon, Virgil decided he would take his chances getting to the boat than shore. He waved to the mariners, shouldered his bow and swam for the boat like his life depended on it.

    Swim check to the boat 1d20(8)+8= 16
    Will try and take a double move.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Land of Ice & Snow (Northern MN)
    Posts
    4,978

    Default

    Sir Darvig Squireson looked forward at the abomination before him, with reluctant determination. He desperately wanted to do the right thing, and make his family proud. He knew it would be futile to fight Lord Soth, but he hoped that he could buy time for the others to flee, and that his sacrifice would save their lives. Suddenly, he felt the tingle of arcane power wash over him, as the White Robe behind him cast a spell upon him.

    Tarvis:
    "Jaminan dari semua dumak amarah"


    However, when Darvig saw Tanis Half-Elven, Hero of the Lance, swoop in, riding a magnificent copper dragon, he knew that his prayer to Paladine had been answered. Deep down, he knew that if Lord Soth slew him this day, there was the chance that the evil knight would raise him to serve him for all eternity. Darvig shuddered at the mere thought of such an end. When the Knight of the Black Rose pointed at the dragon and uttered his foul command, Darvig watched in horror as the majestic beast withered and died before him. Fear, coupled with anger swelled inside him, and he wanted to rush forward and aid his half elven savior. But his feet remained planted where they were, and tears of desperation flowed from his eyes.

    Tanis Half-Elven:
    “Run! Make for the harbor where knights regroup! Run, now!”


    The Hero of the Lance’s order shook the Solamnic Knight from his moment of sorrow for the death of the dragon, and his determination to survive was galvanized. Thinking quickly, he remembered where he was and that the harbor was to the north of their current position, so he spun on his heel, ready to lead the others to safely.

    Bhatair:
    "You heard the man, tactical retreat's the phrase of the hour. Let's go!" The dwarf had no intention of leaving the knight behind, though, and he drew his warhammer and shield and took a defensive stance, ready for whatever may come. "Knight, let's go! Today's not a good day to die!"


    Darvig noticed that the dwarf behind him had donned his shield and was wielding his warhammer, ready to battle if it were necessary. He instantly had respect for the dwarf, seeing his willingness to defend those that couldn’t do so for themselves, even when the odds were against them. He would make a point to learn the name of this dwarf once they were all safe.

    “The harbor is to the north!” he screamed at the others, hoping to shake them from their dazed state of watching the demise of the copper dragon. He rushed forward, ushering the Wizard behind him to do the same, and stayed just behind him, giving him cover as they fled northward to the harbor.

    OOC
    Double Move: Moving north as fast as Tarvis can go, until we meet up with the others, then moving as fast as they can move. Run speed for Darvig is 160 feet per round, but he will only keep pace with the slowest member of the group.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

    Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

    Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.



  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Regina
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Tarvis saw the knight take off and he ran as quickly as he could beside him. He briefly considered casting some spells to try and speed the party up, but he decided that with the city in the situation it was in, he'd best not waste his combat magics.

    ---

    OOC:

    With his 30 foot movement, I believe Tarvis can run 120 feet per round and he can do that for 16 rounds.
    "The sword said nothing, but it brought out everything in him. All the hatred for being trapped in this time, the desire for vengeance..." -Antog Wolfherder, Key of Destiny, ICRP Forums

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    2,818

    Default

    For the briefest of moments, Cariannan's eyes locked with the strained gaze of Tanis Half-Elven. She inclined her head in an almost imperceptible nod of respect, then turned a quick about face and jogged toward the harbor to the north.

    OOC:
    Cariannan will run x's 3 so she doesn't leave anyone too far behind.
    90' north
    "Argent and Rukin would fight over a goblin turd if they thought it was important to the other one." ~ Tauren Kai-Jere, Chatzy, 10/6/11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •