Page 171 of 171 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171
Results 1,701 to 1,706 of 1706

Thread: Hourglass in the Sky

Default The Knights

Darvig couldn’t even recall dragging the limp body of his squire into the cavern as Virgil defended their position, his mind was so clouded with a blurry haze from the venom that sapped his strength and fogged his vision. In those moments that passed, or were they hours? He couldn’t be certain. Time seemed to drift like a small leaf on a tumultuous ocean's tide, adding to his illness, and forcing him to use all of his will not to wretch upon himself. The flashing of lightbolts from the magestorm outside the cave flashed in his eyes, forcing him to squint against the bright bursts of light. When he closed his eyes, the forked tongues of light remained etched beneath his eyelids as though a dwarven smith had carved them with the tender and skilled care.

As time flowed by, and the Solamnic drifted in and out of consciousness, he mumbled incoherently to family members whom he had lost long ago, or to comrades he had fought with during the war, and even to Virgil who he could barely recognize. Even as the Nerakan fed Darvig when he could not do so himself, he mumbled garbled words. But, he managed to ask for Medan’s welfare so often, that it grated on Virgil’s already stressed nerves, for his grasp of reality and memory were as weak as his physical form.

Asking like a small child does for sweet cakes on the way to market, Darvig begged Virgil to place Lightstorm upon his chest so that, even with his weakened grip, he could grasp the weapon that Paladine himself had bestowed upon him. That time seemed so long ago. But just the touch of the blade soothed his troubled mind.

Darkness crept in around him, and although he was hesitant to allow it to draw near, Darvig could not push it away any longer, and he succumbed to his fatigue and exhaustion. But before he drifted away, he whispered to Virgil.

“You must carry on without me,” he gasped, his breathing haggard as though it were difficult to breathe, which it was. “Our paths were merged for a reason, ordained by the gods even,” he continued, forcing himself to slam his eyes open to stare into Virgil’s gaze. “They will once again, but not now. You must continue on and allow me to follow when I am able. You’re a great tracker, hence you can leave me signs to watch for.”

“You must carry on,” he concluded, his voice trailing off eerily as though he were speaking form an other-worldly place. "The world depends on you."

His eyes flickered, then shut at last.

“Rest. Yes, I just need to rest.”
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

The Knights

Sir Darvig and Sir Medan bouted through cold sweats and swelling, the shivers, numbness, weakness and fatigue, as the poisoned Solamnic Knights suffered. Both endured. Sir Virgil, not embattled after the chaotic battle against scorpion and athach alike, kept vigilant watch from cave of the giant scorpion pit. The ground was sandy. The cave was excellent shelter from magestorms. The pit in the terrain still contained the carcasses of the gargantuan scorpion and the huge giant. Vermin had set in. Smaller scorpions, but still larger than a grown man, could be seen prowling and probing. Centipedes, with segmented bodies as big around as a lumberjack's leg skittered on hundreds of legs with blinding speed. Vultures descended from the skies. Virgil was able to not attract any of the scavengers' attention, as long as he laid low near the mouth of the cave.

It was morning.

Virgil felt the cool breeze of springtime waft into the cave. He looked up. The Nerakan, then the two Solamnics, saw the low white billowing clouds of a lightstorm headed their way. Gold and silver rain began to fall outside the cave. The Solamnic Knights had just the strength to crawl out of the cave and into the storm like newborn babies, Darvig realized. Someone named Raistlin is going to pay for this, Medan thought to himself. Would Darvig crawl into a lightstorm - a place of peace and sparse, silent, yellow lightning bolts - and just lie there? Would he pray? Would he not go?

"We should risk it," Medan piped up, struggling to roll over. "I'll go first, I am your Squire, Sir Darvig. If there are any dangers within the lightstorm, I will face them first," he bravely volunteered, almost able to feebly reach his sword. Medan waited for Sir Darvig's blessing, or not.

OOC
    attempt to rest in giant scorpion cave in the Northern Wastes for 4 nights so that Darvig and Medan recover enough strength from the poison to carry themselves and their own equipment (a heavy load) to Kalaman a four hour hike away...
    17th Day, 9th Month. Darvig reaches Str of 4, Still down -1 Dex magestorm: yes, a lightstorm! need start writing prose above for this...
    one of you guys take it from there!
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 11-14-2016 at 11:53 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Darvig struggled with an inner turmoil at Medan's request. The Solamnic knight had felt the effects of a Lightstorm more than once, and deep in his soul, he felt that something else was at play other than the evil of the upstart would-be god, Raistlin. He wondered if the effects of the Lightstorm was tied somehow to Paladine, and his blessed touch. His hand fell instictively to the blade at his side. He couldn't recall a time when Lightstorm wasn't with him, his past seemingly so long ago that it was more of a dream than reality.

"No," Darvig replied slowly, his voice gruff from his inner struggle, "I will go first. You will follow only when it is safe," he stated, then crawled to the entrance of the cave, looking out upon the world outside. Glancing upward, he closed his eyes, then stepped forward, allowing the shimmering rain to fall upon him.

"I have faith in Paladine, Great Dragon on High, to replenish the strength and will of his followers, for we are his hand and strength on Krynn," he muttered in low tones, his hands stretched out to his sides, palms up to embrace the falling rain.

"I give my self to him, almighty god of gods, the Platinum Dragon, and pray that you will aid my squire, the noble Medan, so that he may carry on and present your banner. I ask of you, Paladine, giving my word and oath that I will do your will. With the honor of you, Kiri-Jolith, and Habbukuk, we shall be victorious. Est Sularus oth Mithas!"

OOC
    Darvig will exit the cavern, just outside say 5' to allow the lightstorm to effect him.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

The Knights

The Lightstorm replied. A flash blinded all for a brief moment, even those still in the cave. Eyes opened. The bolt of lightning had struck Medan, who'd disobeyed orders by following Sir Darvig into the rain. The lightning had struck without a sound, nor was there the sound of thunder afterwards. Virgil blinked open his eyes from deeper in the cave. Squire Medan looked at Sir Darvig with wonder.

"I'm healed! My strength is restored, Sir!" he realized, reporting to Darvig in amazement. The boy flexed his muscles and began picking up more of the weight of the camp gear there was to carry.

Sir Darvig waited in the rain, and waited. Many minutes passed. *flash!*

When eyes blinked away the multi-colored spots of blindness, all looked to the spot outside the cave where it looked like the Lightbolt had struck. Thank the Abyss it had not struck the giant or the giant scorpion remains. Instead, in the spot it had struck, stood dozens of peacocks.

Splendid in the gold and silver rain that showered them, the birds' royal blue bodies were only upstaged by the magnificent array of feathers that radiated from their backs. Some had iridescent plumage, others were gray or brown feathered. The iridescent peacocks displayed their brightly colored feathers, rear first, at Sir Darvig. The displays were colorful "eye" patterns, golden ones. The birds began to drift away into the breeze, half-flying, half-slinking, sensing Darvig's presence as a potential threat.

Darvig waited more, and waited. *flash*

Eyes recovered to see Darvig had been struck, but Darvig had felt it before his vision finally came to. He was filled with the holy power. His prayers were fulfilled, it seemed. No longer was he suffering from the poison or wounds of the battle. By Kiri-Jolith, all his strength had returned. Medan's jaw was agape with joy - even hope, as he saw the Lightstorm had healed the Knight of the Crown.

"Do we wait out the Lightstorm from inside the cave, or do we travel through it? Kalaman is close and Lightstorms are said to be brief," Squire Medan threw out the question everyone was thinking, along with his own two coppers. Medan's head then swung questioningly at Sir Darvig, then to Sir Virgil, then back to Sir Darvig. The squire appeared eager after days in this place. He wanted to risk the Lightstorm.

OOC
    01% percent chance of divine intervention duly noted!
    Lightbolt 1: randomly hits Medan, full health.
    5 minutes later:
    Lightbolt 2: randomly summons 24 Lawful Good peacocks
    5 minutes later:
    Lightbolt 3: randomly hits Sir Darvig, full health.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 11-20-2016 at 02:43 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Default The Knights

Darvig had remained silent when his squire informed him of his healed state. His emotions ran deep, and a solitary tear mingled with the rain falling upon him to eventually soak into the soil at his feet. As he remained standing in the Lightstorm, his hands still ourstetched, his soul still asking for cleansing from the gods, he heard the strike of the lightbolt in the distance. He opened his eyes, fearful that the corpse of the giant scorpion or giant-like creature had received the gods gift of healing.

Seeing the splendid, shimmering colors of the peacocks, two dozen by his quick estimate, filled his heart with hope. It was a sign from Paladine that patience and faith would be rewarded. Watching them disappear in the distance, he again closed his eyes and waited.

His wait was answered as he felt the surging energy of a lightbolt strike him. The divine power cascaded down his body from his head to his feet. He felt suddenly ill, and yet perfectly well at the same time. Opening his eyes, he gazed into the weeping heavens. He understood.

"Do we wait out the Lightstorm from inside the cave, or do we travel through it? Kalaman is close and Lightstorms are said to be brief," Squire Medan threw out the question everyone was thinking…

“We leave now,” Darvig said in low tones, “Our work has yet begun.” With that said, he strode into the cave, gathered his gear, checked it twice, then stepped back out into the Lightstorm. Reflexively, his hand fell to the pommel of his sword.

OOC
    Lawful Good peacocks? That’s just awesomeness!
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:

During those few days in the cave while Darvig and Medan gathered their strength Virgil was busy. The day they found the cave and killed the scorpion and giant he went out and tried to milk the poison from both creatures. He was amassing quite an impressive amount of poisons now. If he was going to kill Raistlin he might need such a weapon. He went back inside to build a fire and make the two knights comfortable.

The next day both Darvig and Medan were in a fevered state, sleeping mostly but waking with chills and babbling about giants and vermin. Virgil went out and hunted tht day and found a game trail where he saw a deer and killed it. He skinned and cleaned it and cooked a good amount of it while forcing the two invalids to eat a little. If they were to move in a few days they needed their strength. Once that was done he began sifting through the bones in the cave and was quite impressed to what he found. Was it worth the fight they had for it? Maybe, since no one died... definitely.

The sun rose on the next day and Darvig finally opened his eyes along with Medan. They both seemed determined to leave that day. "Fine, let's get everything and head to Kalaman, but I'm lead..." A crack of thunder ended Virgil's speech. Another storm was approaching. When the silver and gold drops began to fall, Virgil sighed relief until he remembered what could happen... what if a bolt struck the two dead creatures outside? He didn't want to stay to find out. "We're leaving now." He said as he began to gather their things. Then he heard Darvig utter his prayer and he and Medan went out into the storm. "What are you..." He shook his head. Virgil knew this was probably the best course of action but if a bolt struck the scorpion or giant while they were outside...he blocked that out for a the moment as he got equipment and weapons gathered. Then there was a flash and Medan squealed, not in pain but out of joy. He had been struck by a bolt and healed. Lucky S.O.B. Virgil thought. "Good for you kid, now get in here and help while Darvig waits for his." While Medan got Darvig's gear ready, Virgil went to the kid. "Hey. This is yours." He said tossing a sack of coins to him. "You earned it." It was full of steel and platinum. "There will be more but we need to find an exchange in Kalaman. And maybe this..." He said showing him the greataxe. "You want this? It could be magical so be careful. We can find out if is and what it is once we get to the city." Then there was another flash of lightning as Darvig was enveloped in the lightstorm's blessing. Darvig came in to get the gear they had gathered up and proclaimed they were leaving. "Yeah that sounds like a plan, lets get out of here. But first..." He tossed another sack of coins to the knight. "Yours. And maybe this too if you want it..." He showed the knight the solamnic scale mail and the tower shield. "We can figure it out later I guess. I'm leading, don't want you two getting me lost." Vigil walked out into the silver and gold hoping they made it to Kalaman before anything else interesting happened.

OOC: Survival check on the Scorpion 1d20(13)+15= 28, on the Athach 1d20(16)+15= 31

Next day survival to find food, will take 10 for a 25... taking liberties with the deer. Survival on cleaning deer. 1d20(8)+15= 23

Giving Medan his share of coins. 202 steel, 222 platinum and a 1000 steel piece black sapphire. Giving Darvig the same and the scale mail and tower shield.
    Last edited by Spasseltock Nimblefingers; 12-05-2016 at 01:04 AM.
    Spasseltock Nimblefingers kender CN (with good tendencies) Rogue/13, Handler/ 8
    Shayle Wist'lya Bothan Noble 3/Scoundrel 1/Scout 3/Infiltrator 2 Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance
    Evelyn Morningory Aasimar Warpriest of Sarenrae 2 Wrath of the Righteous
    Virgil Halard Human Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Knight of the Lily 1 Hourglass in the Sky