Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hourglass in the Sky (planner)

Default Hourglass in the Sky (planner)

This thread is actually already filled with players, so sorry everyone else!

We'll be using the PF rules. PCs start at 6th-level. Because of the nature of this adventure, we'll be using the fast track experience chart. Starting cash is 16,000 steel pieces. You can have 1 magic item worth 16,000 steel or 16 worth 1000 each, I don't care how you break it down. For stats, roll 4d6, rerolling ones, then drop the lowest die. Do this six times. You may roll two sets of stats, and choose the better set (just in case you accidently get lemons on the first set). The adventure is set just after the War of the Lance, during the onset of the Blue Lady's War - the time period of the Legends of the Twins novels. We will begin in Palanthas.

RACES
    Dwarves: The dwarves of Thorbardin play a large role in this adventure, especially the Daewar. Someone interested in a dwarven PC will want to be a Daewar with the last name “Splitstone”, for maximum intensity and involvement. A dwarven cleric of Reorx would make it even more interesting, though I should warn this will be a very challenging role to play.
    Elves: The Silvanesti elves, fresh out of Lorac’s Nightmare, play a large role in this adventure as well. If you want to play an elf, I’d highly recommend a Silvanesti. If you wanna really get juicy, take the last name Oakleaf.
    Gnomes: The gnomes of Mount Nevermind play a very significant role in this adventure, especially those who study astronomy and rocket science.
    Gully Dwarves: Gully dwarves, as a race, might not play a specific role in this adventure, though a gully dwarf PC is more than welcome.
    Half-elf: Half-elves are always welcome.
    Half-Ogre: Welcome as well.
    Humans: Humans play a large role in this adventure, especially the Knights of Solamnia.
    Kender: Kender, as a race, don’t play an organized role in this adventure, but of course a kender PC is always very welcome.
    Minotaur: Minotaurs, as a race, will probably not play an important role in this adventure.

CLASSES
    Bard: A bard would be okay.
    Cleric: The party will need a cleric. In fact, two clerics wouldn’t be a bad idea for this adventure. Mishakal plays a particularly major role in this adventure, as do her clerics. Gilean and his Aesthetics and dwarven priests of Reorx also play a significant role.
    Fighter: The Knights of Solamnia play a very large role in the adventure. I’d even be open to someone playing a Knight of Neraka, as long as it is thoughtfully and tastefully played (in that sort of almost LN sort of way, like Marshall Medan or Steel Brightblade). Having both a Knight of Solamnia and a Knight of Neraka in the party, who came to work together for the greater cause of mankind, would add an extremely cool dynamic to this adventure.
    Druid: Druids are okay, but I’d go cleric. Having two clerics in the party would be better than having a cleric and a druid.
    Mariner: There will be a lot of sailing in this adventure. A mariner would be a great choice. You might even get your own ship and crew before long if you have the Leadership feat. We’ll be using the PF mariner conversion I wrote up, which is posted in the Curse of Emerald Cobra PF Conversion thread. A mariner/wizard headed for the Sea Mage PrC would be an interesting choice as well.
    Monk: Monks are welcome. Thoughtful, philosophical, and iron-minded, a monk capable of introspection would add flavor to the thread.
    Noble: Nobles are quite welcome. We have a PF conversion of the noble class in the KoD/SoS adventure.
    Ranger: Ranger would be good, though any character with ranks in Survival would substitute just fine.
    Rogue: A rogue is seemingly always necessary to a party for traps and locks in dungeon crawls, but will not be as necessary as usual in this particular adventure. Still a fine choice though.
    Wizard: The Wizards of High Sorcery play a major role in this adventure, obviously. White, red, or black robes welcome, though I’d rather not have a Black Robe if there is also a Knight of Neraka. One black sheep can add a lot to the party when played well, but two would be too many for this adventure.

BIRTHPLACE
    There are certain towns in this adventure where significant events happen. It’d be cool if the PCs were mostly from these towns. One from each would be perfect, as this would help drive the adventure and make things more intimate. The towns are...
    1. Beacon (port town at the northern tip of Northern Ergoth, a good place for a mariner or sea mage to be from, or any Ergothian).
    2. Solace
    3. Sanction (a good place for a Knight of Neraka to be from. A character from Sanction might choose the last name Halard, for extra fun).
    4. Penslip (small hamlet in Kharolis mountains).
    5. Palanthas
    Dwarves, elves, and gnomes should be from Thorbardin, Silvanesti, and Mount Nevermind respectively.

Here's what we have brewing so far...

Ravenmantle: leaning toward Daewar noble/cleric of Reorx.
    Dolfan: leaning toward human White Robe.
    Pirategirl: thinking about a kender, possibly bard or something in that arena.
    Spas: thinking about a Fighter/Knight of the Lily.
    Dorgyn: ?, maybe Knight of Solamnia?
    Phara: leaning Silvanesti elf paladin or paladin/cleric of Paladine

Come chime in with your thoughts and questions everyone! Party is coming along very nicely so far. Feel free to completely change your mind though if you have a more inspired idea!
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 08-03-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong Bellowsmoke View Post
    ...though I should warn this will be a very challenging role to play.
    Sure, now you tell me!

The party will need a cleric.
    I sure hope the party includes a Mishakite. I'm hoping I can limit my character's healing abilities to channel energy and spontaneous cure spells and focus his spells more on being a militant cleric of Reorx. We'll see how that goes, though.
    Heine Kim Stick

I have a lot of undecideds here, but currently I'm planning on going with a Human White Robed Wizard, recently finished his test and now out in the world more or less for the first time. The idea I'm looking for is to be scholarly, but very naive and inexperienced and somewhat easily manipulated. His focus is abjuration and keeping people in one piece, and he really has very little desire to see the front lines of a battle.

I just started working him out about an hour ago, so that's what I've got so far. As things come together and I come up with a few more ideas, I'll keep adding to it, I suppose.
    "The sword said nothing, but it brought out everything in him. All the hatred for being trapped in this time, the desire for vengeance..." -Antog Wolfherder, Key of Destiny, ICRP Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmantle View Post
    I sure hope the party includes a Mishakite.
    Well, one of my other ideas was a cleric of Mishakal, but I just finished playing a pacifist cleric in one of the worst RPGs I've ever been a part of, so I think I'll let that bad memory fade a little while before I stir it up again.
    "The sword said nothing, but it brought out everything in him. All the hatred for being trapped in this time, the desire for vengeance..." -Antog Wolfherder, Key of Destiny, ICRP Forums

come on chatzy Dolf, we're all talking about this thread on there right now.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I will, Darvig uttered.

Well damn. That didn't take long to fill.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

*Frowny face*
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Two questions: Would you allow the warlord class that was featured in the 3PP Tome of Secrets (which I would then use instead of the noble class as it fits my idea a wee bit better)? How do you feel about letting us use material from the Big Book of Crunch - the Advanced Player's Guide?
    Heine Kim Stick

I figured I had better chime in here and have Bong change the '?' by my name. I will be playing a Solamnic Knight from Solanthus, from the Squireson lineage.

When I finish my character, he will be Fighter 4/Knight of the Crown 2.
    Roll Better! Miss Less!

Family Time Games:
    Boards, Cards, Dice - Games for Everyone!

Evil is not a condition or a state of being. It is a choice. Hold on to your choice for it is your salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmantle View Post
    Two questions: Would you allow the warlord class that was featured in the 3PP Tome of Secrets (which I would then use instead of the noble class as it fits my idea a wee bit better)? How do you feel about letting us use material from the Big Book of Crunch - the Advanced Player's Guide?
    Heine, hate to say no but traditionally I'm a DL-product only guy (outside of PHB, or in this case PF Core Rulebook) and I think I'd like to stick to that. Its just served me too well over the years. Sorry!

I will, Darvig uttered.