Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DL Chronicles Omnibus edition

Default DL Chronicles Omnibus edition

Hey all,

I received my copies of DL Chronicles the new Omnibus Edition.

Some thoughts:

First--incredible sadness. No DL logo. Dungeons and Dragons logo. They could not have produced an uglier cover if they had tried! Yellow background. Names almost lost. Titles of the books impossible to read. It looks like they chopped off the art work in the middle of the painting! They did not use the Annotated Edition.

Second thought--to collectors. The only reason might want this book. It marks the end.

Margaret

Ridiculous. I suppose when people stop caring they stop trying.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Default Note!

Note to all,

The cover they show on Amazon is NOT the cover on the book!

Margaret

I think i'm better off not having this book, despite having pretty much every edition of chronicles ever printed.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Darkness View Post
    They did not use the Annotated Edition.
    IMO, this is actually a good decision. The Annotated Edition is great for fans who are familiar with the series and want a behind-the-scenes look at things, but it's ill-suited to those trying out DL for the first time.
    Matthew L. Martin, Chronicler of the Martinian Canon, the Anti-Canon, Desolate Krynn and numerous other 'wrong' versions of Krynn.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    IMO, this is actually a good decision. The Annotated Edition is great for fans who are familiar with the series and want a behind-the-scenes look at things, but it's ill-suited to those trying out DL for the first time.
    I agree with that. Unfortunately with this cover I doubt if any first-time readers will pick it up! If you look at the original painting, by the way, WoTC cut the art off above Tanis's chin!

Margaret

Angry

I guess WotC just can't get by with just kicking us when we are down. They have throw sand in our eyes and defecate on us with this trash (I wouldn't be surprised if the books inside were altered and mucked up).

They probably did this so the book would fail just so they could be justified with killing the setting.
    Sallis the Silver Blaze
    Member of the Whitestone Council
    I don't want to be the bad guy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallis the Silver Blaze View Post
    They probably did this so the book would fail just so they could be justified with killing the setting.
    That seems a bit paranoid to me. What reason would they have to do that? The line was already known to be dead in the water before we even got a hint of this; why throw away good money by deliberately sabatoging a product? Heck, if they wanted it to fail, why commission new art? Indeed, this is the only time Chronicles has gotten original art for an Omnibus edition; the covers for the original Collector's Edition and the Annotated Chronicles are reused pieces.
    Last edited by Matthew L. Martin; 06-14-2010 at 09:49 PM.
    Matthew L. Martin, Chronicler of the Martinian Canon, the Anti-Canon, Desolate Krynn and numerous other 'wrong' versions of Krynn.

Cool

That seems a bit paranoid to me. What reason would they have to do that? The line was already known to be dead in the water before we even got a hint of this; why throw away good money by deliberately sabatoging a product? Heck, if they wanted it to fail, why comission new art? Indeed, this is the only time Chronicles has gotten original art for an Omnibus edition; the covers for the original Collector's Edition and the Annotated Chronicles are reused pieces.
    I wasn't being overly serious, I know it would be a colossal waste of time and money for them. I was just being irritable.
    Sallis the Silver Blaze
    Member of the Whitestone Council
    I don't want to be the bad guy anymore.

TIndeed, this is the only time Chronicles has gotten original art for an Omnibus edition; the covers for the original Collector's Edition and the Annotated Chronicles are reused pieces.
    Too bad they butchered this new art.

Honestly you can't believe how bad this book looks!

Margaret