Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books like dragonlance?

Default Books like dragonlance?

I want to know what other books you lot read that are like dragonlance? The reason I ask is I can not find any decent fantasy and am thinking of giving up on fantasy altogether.

well, that's an entirely too broad question. what specifically do you like about dragonlance, that you'd like to read more books of?
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

The things I like are the different types of people Dwarves ect and I like how there are groups of adventurers not just a single hero and the way in which the heros are grey not just black and white , good or bad.

There's nothing like Dragonlance - it's unique. : )

Saying that, if you like good banter and team adventures, try the Eddings books starting with the 5 book set the Belgariad. Such a wonderful, fleshed out bunch of characters, a really warm atmosphere throughout.
    Sitting on Cyan...

Khaisai recommends: Film - Horns Music - The Beards Book - As You Wish

The banter, and depth of the companions' relationships and interactions definitely drew me in.

The other thing I would say is that the 'evil' side were relatively normal people. They were flesh and blood and not some vague evil monsters. I loved epic fantasies such as LoTR, but I had zero connection to the evil side. There was no explanation of who they were, where they came from, why they were evil. They were just evil for the sake of being evil. I read Dragons Age, and the spawn just bother me - they have no depth, they just want to kill everything.

In DL, there are flesh and blood humans who are evil in addition to the monsters like draconians and ogres. There are conflicted humans who aren't evil but think the best thing to do is negotiate or side with the dragonarmies. There are "bad guys" such as Dalamar whose "evilness" is far more nuanced.

The Companions were sometimes conflicted, and so were the bad guys. That character development is why I still love DL today. I too have trouble finding fantasy books that appeal to me.

Are there any good series or books that have lots of different social groups that each have there different cultures? By social groups I mean like the dwarves and humans and elves and all the other peoples of dragonlnace)

Uggg. There is still quite a large amount of fantasy that might interest you. for example, if you liked Dragonlance, you can always go with Knaak's Dragonrealms. or go with Margaret and Weis and their other series. In particular I liked the Deathgate cycle. I've reading an advanced reader's copy of Margaret and Tracy's Dragonship series.

As for other stuff, I like Jennifer Roberson and the Tiger and Del characters. There's fantasy stuff like Paladin by C. J. Cherryh. But then Paladin seemed more oriental fantasy rather than western fantasy. Khasai already mentioned the Belgariad by David Eddings.

There's the Stephen R. Donaldson and two series: Mordant's Need, and Thomas Covenent.

Lastly, if you want low magic, full-on epic, "holy crud they killed the hero" type books, you can always turn to G R R Martin's Song of Fire and Ice. but be warned it's addictive the author isn't finished with it yet.

Weldon
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Well, by what you wrote I think the most suited book sould be The Lord of the Rings, a great adventurer party, many races and an epic quest, but I hardly think you haven't read it yet...

Anyway, I would strongly recommend the Deathgate Cycle, by Weis and Hickmann, it has lots of kinds of people, the story is realy catchy and the way it treats the magic is really awesome. On the downside it starts with a single adventurer, but with a very complex personality. And you may find a familiar character fooling around

The Dragonrealm series, by Knaak, are one of my personal favorites (but I have only read the first five, maybe someday I'll be able to find the rest). It sticks more with the group instead of single hero you said you like and the battles are just epic.
    Est Sularis Oth Mithas.

Quote Originally Posted by the tinker View Post
    Are there any good series or books that have lots of different social groups that each have there different cultures? By social groups I mean like the dwarves and humans and elves and all the other peoples of dragonlnace)
    Hmmm. Eddings tends to do different types of human rather than other species, but he describes their differences and cultures very well. If you're looking for things like dwarves etc. then you could do a lot worse than the Deathgate cycle, as mentioned. And the Landover books are good, but they have a totally different feel to DL.
    Sitting on Cyan...

Khaisai recommends: Film - Horns Music - The Beards Book - As You Wish

Also, if you're an adult (and you haven't read them) don't be so quick as to pass on the Harry Potter books. Though the number of other races is limited and seen mostly in passing, the complexity of the characters throughout matches that of Dragonlance, especially in the aspect of understanding the minds and actions of the villains.
    "One person's retcon is another person's kicked puppy." - Cam Banks