Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Might Campaign

Default Age of Might Campaign

Greetings Forum,
    I am building a new DL campaign set in the AoMight, 41pc, when Symeon IV was still kingpriest, at least for a few more days., ,The party will be a group of apprentice mages at the tower of Istar. This is a 3.5 /3.75 ed game.

I have several question I need answers for:
    1. some sources state the slave market closed in 140 pc and was reopened in 15 pc, but it also seems after manifest virtue of 118 pc that slavery of evil races was condoned? was there slavery during 41 pc?

2. Where can I find the doctrine of manifest Virtue and other edicts of the Kingpriests? and the doctorine of balance?

3. Was the arena open in 41 pc, Arack states before the games reopened in 15 pc for the entertainment of Istar, that he use to compete as a real gladiator when the fights were real, was that between 140 pc and 15 pc?

4. Can white robe wizards specialize in other schools such as Transmutation, conjuration or evokation? (vs. Abjuration or Divination) can a Red Robe specialize in Abjuration?

5. What about bards in the age of might, do they get spells? (no primal magic) how do you adjust bards?

6. What about other races/monsters such as Kobolds do they get primal magic during age of might, such as a kobold sorcerer, like there cousins the dragons.

7. After the 3rd dragon war, are their any dragons left on krynn?,, if so which type?

I appreciate any suggests or answers
    Milo Underhill
    Last edited by Milo Underhill; 11-22-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Master of the Tower of HIgh Sorcery of Long Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Underhill View Post
    Greetings Forum,
    I am building a new DL campaign set in the AoMight, 41pc, when Symeon IV was still kingpriest, at least for a few more days., ,The party will be a group of apprentice mages at the tower of Istar.
    Congrats, I personally have found Pre-Cataclysm campaigns make for epics as you are putting a lot of the legends of Krynn (Istar, Solamnia, the Orders of Magic, etc)) at the height of their power, when all looked to them.

Before I go on, I should note that it will probably work better for you if you just do what you want and find ways to 'rationale' things into official DL history. That way you are not totally bound to the novels and official history and can surprise your PC's with things they may not be expecting.

One thing of note is whether you are going to do a Raistlin/Caramon/Crysannia/Tasslehoff timeline or a Fistandantillus/Pheraghas/Denubus timeline. That could change a lot of the flavor of your campaign as well

I have several question I need answers for:
    1. some sources state the slave market closed in 140 pc and was reopened in 15 pc, but it also seems after manifest virtue that slavery of evil races was condoned? was there slavery during 41 pc?
    That is more or less the short of it, although I think the Church officially sanctioned the genocide of Ogres.

2. Where can I find the doctrine of manifest Virtue and other edicts of the Kingpriests? and the doctorine of balance?
    While they are mentioned in the KingPriest trilogy and Fizban acknowledges it as such at times as well. In the HOLY ORDERS OF THE STARS sourcebook I imagine they would be as well.

3. Was the arena open in 41 pc, Arack states before the games reopened in 15 pc for the entertainment of Istar, that he use to compete as a real gladiator when the fights were real, was that between 140 pc and 15 pc?
    my DM made the Games 100% real, that they were potentially to the death, even in the days leading up to the Cataclysm, and this was with the Raist/Caramon/Crysannia timeline in effect. Clerics were required to be on duty to deal with sanctioned gladiator vs gladiator battles, where they were required to fight to win, but not to kill and the Clerics ready to heal them. But fights where Gladiators were sent to essentially execute condemned criminals; or fights between Gladiators vs those not worthy of life (Goblins, Ogres, Minotaurs, etc) were to the death, at least for the dark worshippers, etc.

Yes, I think Arack fought as a real gladiator, it was not clear when the Games were banned, I don't think that was until at least 10 PC, maybe 5 PC. It sounded in the novels like it was long after Cathan left the Divine Hammer that they were outlawed and that was 19 PC.

4. Can white robe wizards specialize in other schools such as Transmutation, conjuration or evokation? (vs. Abjuration or Divination) can a Red Robe specialize in Abjuration?
    I don't know about 4th edition, but in third edition unless they chose not to take the speciality thing, the answer is no to the above.

5. What about bards in the age of might, do they get spells? (no primal magic) how do you adjust bards?
    I've always maintained that Bards with their magic are essentially clerics of Branchalla, that their powers and abillitys all derive from her, is what I have always done. I don't like Prestige classes for EVERY little thing, and thus always maintained Monks to be clerics of Majere as well, for example. Blackgaurds being Sargonnas worshippers, etc.

But that was just how I ran it.

6. What about other races/monsters such as Kobolds do they get primal magic during age of might, such as a kobold sorcerer, like there cousins the dragons.
    perhaps but they would be hunted down by the KingPriest as well as the Orders of Magic if they did not comply. I would be apt to make such a character mandate that he have at least 1 level or so of priest to allow that perhaps a avatar or minion teaches you how to use your primal magic.

7. After the 3rd dragon war, are their any dragons left on krynn?,, if so which type?
    If you play by official history, Huma's banishment of Takhisis and the Chromatic dragons was probably enforced by the High God himself for "As Long As Krynn Is Whole". The Metallic dragons left but by choice, not by a vow of Paladine, to maintain balance. It is possible to go to the dragon islands, I suppose if you NEED to encounter them; and I think that it is possible that some metallic dragons may out of curiousity/adventures sake sneak away to adventure , but this has to be rare. As far as Chromatics go, in order for people to think Dragons are gone, there needs to be no one that REALLY remembers them by the time of the WOTL, so I would say the instant that Takhisis made her vow to Huma and Kaz the Minotaur pulled the lance from Takhisis, there is 1 second where I think Takhisis had no intention of honoring her agreement, but then there is an explosion of lights and fire and when it is gone, Takhisis and the Chromatic Dragons are all gone.

IMHO, that means the High God heard Takhisis's vow, and enforced it himself, banishing Takhisis and all the dragons of evil to the Abyss.

Milo Underhill
    Hope I could help.

Default More thoughts and questions

Thanks for your feedback and ideas,
    I welcome any other ideas on a campaign based on the Age of Might.

To clarify this is a 3.5 edition game and I will includ some 3.75 (i.e. pathfinder rules) not ready/willing to play 4.0 edition.

I have set the timeline as 41 PC 40 years prior to the big C. I plan to focus on the growing tension between wizards and the Kingpriest that lead up to the war of lost battles.

I have reviewed the TOHS source book, on page 22-23 it appears a wizard can choose to specialize in any school or not at all, or they can take an arcane focus and gain an increased focus in the school of their order.

Question, sources indicate that civilians were only permitted to carry a dagger in the city of Istar legally, what about walking sticks or canes, can an old man carry a walkin stick, (ie a quarterstaff?)
    Thanks Milo

Default more questions

Thanks for your reply, for the record this is 41pc and would follow the Fistandantillis time line although Raist and Caramon will not show up for 40 years. I welcome any other perspectives as well and have another question.
    I am using a combo of 3.5 ed rules and 3.75

1. It appears that the only weapon folks was legally allowed to carry in Istar was a dagger, what about walking canes or walking staves (i.e. quarterstaffs) were they legal? every old man needs a walking stick, never mind the pretty crystal on the end?

You should really look into the Legends of the Twins book. It should answer a lot of these questions.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Master of the Tower of HIgh Sorcery of Long Beach

definitely.

As I said previously at that point in history, well, it was never clear exactly when Raistlin took over Fistandantillus. So perhaps as a twist, you could have Raistlin already back in time with the adventurers you plan on having, using them to his own end to get closer to Fist to strike at him.

Hi Milo!

There really weren't any primal casting characters during the Age of Might, so that means no bards, mystics, sorcerers, or assassins. But you can substitute a master with the Perform focus for most bards, and there's always the option of being a multiclassed wizard. Spellcasting bards didn't really exist on Ansalon throughout history; the Bardic College of Ergoth wasn't a university of bards, but a collegium of minstrels, artists, choral students, scholars, and other "mundane" performers. The word "bard" doesn't necessarily mean "rogue with spells and countersong abilities" in other words.

Not all dragons were gone from Krynn. Rare individuals defied Takhisis' edict or the will of the gods and continued to walk among mortals in disguise, so if it's important to your stories, you can work a dragon in there.

As for kobolds, they only WISH they were related to dragons. In fact, Krynnish kobolds are related to the bakali, just like sligs. This makes them slightly different from the kobolds of core 3.X D&D that are able to unlock draconic abilities; in Dragonlance, that's not really an option for them. See Dragons of Krynn for more information.

Note that all of this is just how we established things when we were publishing the sourcebooks. As always, you can change any or all of this stuff, since it's your campaign and your Krynn! If you want secret enclaves of dragons, kobold sorcerers, and bards in the Age of Might, go for it.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Default Admin:

This really isn't an errata thread so much as a thread with various gaming questions, so I moved this to gaming.

-Admin
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

yes. they can specialize in any school they like. the wohs prc has an optional rule about specializing in the towers of high sorcery gaming book.
    "But you guys? You're the heroes. This story is about how you guys are so powerful and so integral to the nature of the setting, you guys are the exception to the rule. So cast that gate spell, baby. By the way, 5 pit fiends just appeared. They look like giant overgrown dragons over 500 feet in length. Your army of peasants just lost their sanity checks and fled the field in terror. Roll for initiative. Don't you just love being special?" - Weldon

Greetings Forum,

Milo Underhill
    I had an idea a while back.
    Bards who did not bother learning magic would have more time to hone their other abilities.
    Instead of cantrips they could get extra uses of bardic music equal to their constitution modifier (singing can be hard work). Instead of 1-6th level spells they could get bonus feats at the levels at which the spell levels would have become avalible. They should be limited to feats that grant bonuses to skill checks or are made with bards in mind, such as bardic music feats.