Thread: Dragonlance Animated Film on Netflix

Default Dragonlance Animated Film on Netflix

I just watched it on my pc. Dudes.... the movie is bad. They tried to cram so much into 90 minutes. There's no breathing room in between dialog, the animation is bad, and the voice acting is even worse.

Raistlin doesn't sound at all like how the book makes him sound. When he's saying his spells, it sounds like someone speaking Spanish but with a 100% American accent. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie at all. It makes DL seem so lame.

While I agree that Raistlin doesn't sound at all like the description in the books and the animation was less than spectacular, I still get a big thrill watching the film. It is Dragonlance, of indifferent quality, but still very much Dragonlance.

And as for the spellcasting Tracy Hickman helped Kiefer Sutherland do it the way Tracy considered right - the Tracy Hickman.

Moving to the Common Room.
    Only one thing worse than a dragon, Americans - Creedy, Reign of Fire
    Founder of the Raistlin Stole Fistandantilus' Glory Association
    Founding member of the Pro-Nancy Varian Berberick Association
    Change is neither good nor evil, it just is. Inevitable.
    I'm a bad boy - Lou Costello
    Dragonhelm is a thief, he stole my title

I, on the other hand, WOULD recommend watching this movie and inviting the viewer to make up their own mind.

There may be some bad bits, but there are also some great bits.
    Sitting on Cyan...

Khaisai recommends: Film - Horns Music - The Beards Book - As You Wish

Quote Originally Posted by Khaisai View Post
    I, on the other hand, WOULD recommend watching this movie and inviting the viewer to make up their own mind.
    Agreed. While Dragons of Autumn Twilight is the only movie in recent memory that actually had me constantly looking at the DVD display in the hopes that the movie would be over soon, I think we all have the right to form our own opinion regarding the movie. I may not like it, but there's a lot of people out there who actually do like it, and when people ask me if it's worth watching, I always recommend that they rent the movie and see for themselves. : )

EDIT: Oh, the soundtrack kicked some serious behind!
    Heine Kim Stick

The tower of high Sorcery in Chicago(aka sears tower)

I didn't really enjoy the movie to much. They did try to cram alot into the movie and rushed all the scenes And still with alot left out. But i did love Tas voice over. Now i hear his every time i read.
    "how did that get into my pouch? you must have dropped it."

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/enelson3?ref=name

There are no two ways about it: it was bad.

But there is still hope.

Remember the 1978 animated version of Lord of the Rings?

Compare that to the original work and to the Peter Jackson trilogy.

All I need is a few hundred million dollars to produce it...

the good news is that the creative minds behind DL have been made aware of the problems fans had with the movie. i enjoyed it but do see valid points all across the board. soundtrack was awesome though.

if there is a second movie (fingers crossed) i think the issues from DoAT will be addressed properly. kinda like how legions of Star Wars fans hated Jar-Jar Binks ( i liked him ) and Lucas phased him out. that being said, DL is the baby of Ms. Weis, Mr. Hickman, and others and they should do what they wanna do with it but they are gracious enough to listen to fans and take their comments into account.
    "For by fate, even the gods are cast down. Weep ye all with me." - Raistlin Majere

CTHULHU 2016!! - Vote for the lesser evil

Thought I disliked it immensely, I think Dragons of Winter could be great. DoAT needed about 30 more minutes for character development, scrap computer graphics on draconians and add some voice effects for spellcasting to make it all creep-crawly like. Those were my biggest complaints.

Now I am just theorizing, but I feel we won't see a sequel to DoAT until WotC decides to release more DL products. My fingers are crossed for 2011, but who knows? We are shelved for now, and that is ok. Just gives us more autonomy in making our own DL stories without the helping hand of "canon."
    Last edited by rogue; 11-25-2009 at 11:56 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

I agree with most points those who disliked the movie. I wasn't crazy about the animation nor the computer animation. I still watched it, and bought it, however. It's Dragonlance, after all. I love the story enough to forgive the shortcomings of the product.

I will say, though, as an animated feature, I expected much less violence. Creatures died, the heroes got injured, bled on the ground, etc. I truly expected it to have battles much like the classic GI Joe cartoons, where nobody was shot or hurt, or fight scenes like in Xena, where everyone wielded swords but ultimately got punched or kicked into submission.

I'd be surprised to see how violent DoWN would be, especially the battle at the High Clerist's Tower.

Burning in the Abyssal Fires of Lakeside CA.

Thumbs up

You'll get no negativity from me about the movie. I loved it. Anything that can make me laugh hard enough to tear up, is a damn good movie.
    Long Live DragonLance and the Nexus!

Currently playing: (4th edition)
    Lord SBD, 6th level Human Blackrobe Renegade Hunter (War Wizard)
    Haiden Janko, 6th level Human Cleric of Chemosh (Devoted Cleric)
    R.I.P Murdertrain. Retired 5th level Tarmak Rageblood Barbarian. Died before he ever got his warpaint. (killed by some BS homebrewed disease)

Currently working on: (4th edition)
    Codex Neraka Volume 1 (heroic tier)