Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young Readers

Default Young Readers

Ok I was looking at the product list and I know I still need quite a few books but was wondering if the Young Readers edition is needed for the DragonLance world. I mean I'm not all that into reading books made for younger kids but am wondering I guess if someone around 18-20 would like them or love them. Thanks for any feedback.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to PAUSE and REFLECT ~ Mark Twain

'Est Sularis Oth Mithas' - 'My Honor is My Life' ~ Huma

the young adult books are very...high and low. when they're good, like stan's book, or the books by jeff sampson, they're among the best DL has to offer. and when they're bad, they're pretty boring, meandering, and canon-breaking.

But really, they're short, and are more often than not fun reads, so yeah, if you can find them, read them.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

I agree with Tal, they're kind of hit or miss. In my opinion, the core 8 are better than average, I actually loved the Suncatcher trilogy, Elidor Trilogy was just OK, and I wasn't quite so high on Elements. I have the Goodlund Trilogy but I haven't read them yet.
    “Come on,” said Jendle, puffing as he climbed the steps. “We’ll be safe there.”

Chathan blinked. “Wait. Can you go in?”

The monk stopped, glancing over his shoulder with wide eyes. “Why not? It’s not like this place ever belonged to Takhisis, you know. Shinare and I have always been on good terms, despite what your Kingpriest insists. Although,” he added in a loud whisper, “I’m certain Shinare cheats at dice.”

Cathan Twice-Born and Brother Jendle

Sacred Fire

Temple of the Dragonslayer, the first one, is a little childish, which I found a little hard to take. The others I have read (two through eight) are highly enjoyable though.
    Only one thing worse than a dragon, Americans - Creedy, Reign of Fire
    Founder of the Raistlin Stole Fistandantilus' Glory Association
    Founding member of the Pro-Nancy Varian Berberick Association
    Change is neither good nor evil, it just is. Inevitable.
    I'm a bad boy - Lou Costello
    Dragonhelm is a thief, he stole my title

I can only really echo the same sentiments as Tal and freedjr. I've read all of the New Adventures books except for the Dragon Codices (on my list to read), and have found most of them enjoyable as light fun reads. A few of them are outright excellent, as a few of the authors really did their homework, by either liaising with fans from these forums, or cross-checking their info against the Lexicon.

Of the more recent books, I really enjoyed the Suncatcher trilogy, Trinistyr trilogy & the Goodlund trilogy. The Elidor trilogy irritated the hell out of me, and the Elements trilogy contained characters that really just did nothing for me. I guess I don't particularly like Nearra or Jirah all that much...

Does anyone know if they are going to continue the Dragon Codecies after Gold Dragon? The remaining books (Blue, White, etc.) are nol onger showing publishing dates in the latest book Silver Dragon.

What are those Dragon Codecies about? Are they like short stories about draongs or just like info abotu the dragons or what?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to PAUSE and REFLECT ~ Mark Twain

'Est Sularis Oth Mithas' - 'My Honor is My Life' ~ Huma

Stories, as indicated by taking a look at each book's description in the Products area.

The "guide to dragons" is more just info-driven.
    reading DL since 1987 - all hail the caffeine molecule!
    currently reading: Brothers Majere (Preludes Volume Three)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Toede View Post
    Does anyone know if they are going to continue the Dragon Codecies after Gold Dragon? The remaining books (Blue, White, etc.) are nol onger showing publishing dates in the latest book Silver Dragon.
    The WotC website has always been rather poor about giving info on upcoming releases; more so with the Mirrorstone books. The Mirrorstone section is showing Silver Dragon Codex as a recent release, at least. And I found a listing for the Gold Dragon Codex on Amazon.com, so it looks like they are going to continue with them.
    Dragonlance Upcoming Products Listing
    My comprehensive list of upcoming releases of products relating to Dragonlance, as well as release lists from 2002 onward.

Last updated: 10 Jul 2016

I've seen there's some confusion on the Codices, so I'll clear it up! Originally the series was going to do one book per dragon, but they ended up cutting it down. So the last book to be released will be Gold Dragon Codex in January.

By the way, thank you for the kind words about my books, Suncatcher Trilogy especially If you'll indulge a little self-promotion, I actually have a D&D book out in May called Monster Slayers, which I wrote under the pen name "Lukas Ritter". It's not Dragonlance and it's aimed a bit younger than the Dragonlance books I did, but I think it turned out pretty neat. It's sort of like D&D meets The Truman Show (or, if you're familiar with other young adult books, The Hunger Games). The not quite final cover can be seen here:

http://twitpic.com/meck4

I also just sold a series to HarperCollins that is not even remotely D&D related, and as such I don't know if anyone here will care The series itself is currently called Deviants, with the first book called The Death and Life of Emily Cooke. It's YA and sci-fi and sorta aimed at teen girls; my agent pitched it as Heroes meets Veronica Mars, which I suppose is about as accurate as anything. Should be out in like a year, year and a half.

Anyway, the reason I mention this series is that people seem to have high hopes for it. So it's my hope that if it does do well, Mirrorstone/Wizards might have an incentive to republish The Suncatcher Trilogy sometime down the line. Obviously I have no idea if that'll ever happen, but since as of right now those three books are out of print and very hard to find, I do hope it's something that they might eventually consider!
    jeffsampsonbooks.com

DRAGONLANCE: THE NEW ADVENTURES
    Vol. 8: Dragon Spell
    Trinistyr Trilogy, Vol. 2: Wizard's Betrayal
    The Suncacther Trilogy