Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4e Compiled Stuff for Dragonlance

Gomen. That's my error. I accidentally linked the wrong one. I'm changing it.
    KenderBryant: Papermaster, the new Agent Paper.

"Silence! I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies!

QPDIITA (Quidditch Players Do It In The Air)

Was this yours? You must have dropped it.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

That's a really cool paragon path, sir.
    Did you know that Dragonlance fandom has a podcast? Check out the Dragonlance Canticle!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvox View Post
    That's a really cool paragon path, sir.
    Not sure that this PP is actually useful though. Its an archer PP for a fighter? What fighter would ever take it? A fighter has zero ranged powers and all his existing powers and gear will be melee oriented. And dex isn't a priority for fighters, unless they go tempest.
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

Quote Originally Posted by whoisrube View Post
    Not sure that this PP is actually useful though. Its an archer PP for a fighter? What fighter would ever take it? A fighter has zero ranged powers and all his existing powers and gear will be melee oriented. And dex isn't a priority for fighters, unless they go tempest.
    This is yet another reason why I hate 4e. Why on earth wouldn't they let a fighter have a few ranged abilities? It's been that way for decades! They really destroyed the combat versatility of the fighter. Yes, the primary function is as a tank, but that doesn't mean that they can't use a bow ever. In 4e, it seems like they're not allowed period.

I'm going to write a few archery powers for the fighter. Archery is going to be a very secondary function (maybe even tertiary) for a fighter, leaving the ranger in the lead with ranged combat. The main reason I made the Marksman a fighter PP is because it's a fighter-type class, not ranger. Think of the Marksman as a weaponmaster that focuses on ranged combat.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

Quote Originally Posted by whoisrube View Post
    Why not? I can think of plenty of character concepts that would call for a fighter with a greater emphasis on ranged attacks. They may not wind up being the best character ever in combat, but so what?
    Did you know that Dragonlance fandom has a podcast? Check out the Dragonlance Canticle!

Quote Originally Posted by KenderBryant View Post
    This is yet another reason why I hate 4e. Why on earth wouldn't they let a fighter have a few ranged abilities? It's been that way for decades! They really destroyed the combat versatility of the fighter. Yes, the primary function is as a tank, but that doesn't mean that they can't use a bow ever. In 4e, it seems like they're not allowed period.

I'm going to write a few archery powers for the fighter. Archery is going to be a very secondary function (maybe even tertiary) for a fighter, leaving the ranger in the lead with ranged combat. The main reason I made the Marksman a fighter PP is because it's a fighter-type class, not ranger. Think of the Marksman as a weaponmaster that focuses on ranged combat.
    I hear ya. Its really a paradigm shift. Fighter = road block. That's its role now. Sure, you can almost make it a striker, but its never quite as mobile or deals enough damage. And forget ranged attacks. Only reason to carry a ranged weapon is to hit the bad guys who you can't physically reach. Otherwise, if you can move to them in 1 round, its obscenely better to do so. "Move, then charge" is often considered before ranged attacking with my fighter. The most versatile "fighter" is now the ranger. With a decent mix of both ranged and 2-weapon powers, it can almost do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarvox View Post
    Why not? I can think of plenty of character concepts that would call for a fighter with a greater emphasis on ranged attacks. They may not wind up being the best character ever in combat, but so what?
    So, you are going to waste your paragon path to gain 2 attack ranged encounter powers and one ranged daily while the remaining 90% of your time will be melee? Or do you intend to just used ranged basic attacks?

Cool concept or not, the fighter's mechanics do not support ranged attacks that fit its role as a defender. If you want to shoot stuff with a bow, be a ranger & call your self Joe the Fighter. 4E ranger is not the same as your 3E ranger. It can be, but it is also the default (lone?) archer for 4E. [Edit: looks like the new Seeker is a ranged attacker too]

Look, I'd love for there to be more ranged options (c'mon martial power 2!) but realistically I don't expect there to be. Its not the fighter's "job" to hang back and snipe.
    Last edited by Chris Knapp; 10-06-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Seeker
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

Default ADMIN:

This is yet another reason why I hate 4e.
    This thread is for the purpose of compiling materials for people who are 4e fans to use in their games, not for criticism of the system.

4e criticism topics need to be in another thread if Dragonlance-related, or on another forum if it isn't Dragonlance-related.

Thanks, everyone.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Gomen, Trampas-sama.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Gomen, Trampas-sama.
    It's all cool, man.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Wasn't there an awesome 4e adaptation of Dragons of Autumn someone did not long ago?