View Poll Results: How do you represent the mystic in your 4th edition game?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cleric

4 44.44%
  • Invoker

3 33.33%
  • Paladin

1 11.11%
  • Shaman

3 33.33%
  • Druid

2 22.22%
  • Multiclass!

2 22.22%
  • I created my own mystic class, which I will submit to the Nexus.

1 11.11%
  • I'm waiting for the psionics/ki/etc. power source.

2 22.22%
  • I don't use mystics in my game.

2 22.22%
  • I like Fritos.

3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: [4e] How do you represent the mystic in your games?

Default [4e] How do you represent the mystic in your games?

So now that we have PHB 1 and 2 out, I'm curious how people have represented mystics in actual game play. Do you use one of the existing classes, or do you have your own? Do you multiclass? Or are you waiting for another power source?

Discuss! Vote in the poll. Multiple answers are allowed.
    Last edited by Dragonhelm; 04-29-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Talking

Well, we all know just how much I enjoy the separation between the cleric and the mystic.

I think I will make the final judgment once I read Divine Power and see how Domains are handled (the Ampersand article gives me great hope). Truth be told, a Cleric in 4e doesn't even NEED a deity, it just limits some feat, magic item, and Paragon Path choices.

Heck, for all we know, Divine Power will have a build or class feature that totally mimics what the Mystic does (it would bring my hopes of a 4e DL out of the doldrums).

Actually, the advent of Domains could allow all sorts of Mystics. We could have Citadel Mystics (Clerics and Invokers), Citadel Guardians (Paladins and Avengers), Knights of the Skull (All of the Above). Just allow the player to exchange their normal Channel Divinity with a Domain. Easy as pie!
    Last edited by Sallis the Silver Blaze; 04-29-2009 at 11:35 PM.
    Sallis the Silver Blaze
    Member of the Whitestone Council
    I don't want to be the bad guy anymore.

Im still working on it and I will have my 4e mystic done about the same time as the 4e monk I have been working on for shattered lands.
    The Shattered Lands or Royodo and the Dragon Throne
    Come one come all see what lies in the mists of this lost land of Krynn

I love that seventh option. "...and I will submit it to the Nexus."

Also, I love fritos.

As to what I use? Since I've not been playing Dragonlance games for some time now, I can't really answer this.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

How about all of the above?

And I like Tab and Mountain Dew.

Weldon
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Huh, I was hoping to have more response than this.

Thus far, it appears like most folks are using whatever class fits the character concept, rather than having one specific class for mystic archetypes.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    Thus far, it appears like most folks are using whatever class fits the character concept, rather than having one specific class for mystic archetypes.
    That's probably the smartest choice, yes. Because the SAGA mystic (and the 3.5 one, for that matter) was such a broad class, covering everything from healers and diviners to elementalists and shapeshifters, a single mystic class in 4E might not be the best solution.

Druids in 4E cover a lot of the heavy special effects/bestial shapeshifter mystics, wardens are ideal for elemental-attuned ones that focus on combat, clerics work for healers like Goldmoon and Jasper, shamans for spirit-attuned mystics like Princess Mercideth, etc etc.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    Huh, I was hoping to have more response than this.

As cam says, the SAGA mystic and the sorcerer were very broad, as if they were additional skill sets on top of being your basic hero. And a mystic could be specialized in any 3 of a bunch of skills. Basically, I'm sticking with my concept that anyone can be a mystic from any powersource. In my rules, a "mystic" has ambient feats that allow you to empower, lengthen, silent your power in the same way a SAGA mystic could custom-make spells. Also, they get a "domain" feat that allows them to switch out a power and substitute it with an equal level power related to their power source, or type.

So, for example, a Warden could be a mystic necromancer Warden by choosing mystic feats to meta-magic his spells, and a sphere specialty for necromancy (which I'm still playtesting).

So, my knight of rose with mystic healing will conceptually work during the Era of the Dragon Overlords. Likewise, my knight of the Rose will also work without taking those mystic feats.
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 05-02-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...