Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you keep your books on?

Default What do you keep your books on?

I guess its kind of a weird question, but what kind of book cases do people use here? I myself am looking for new ones ( that dont cost alot!) but the best I can find only has 5 shelves. Im trying to find something that would hold a decent amount of books and have at least 6 or 7 shelves. Currently I use five 5 shelf bookcases, with a ton of books stacked and double stacked. Im gonna be moving in the spring, and figured new bookcases were in order, and wanted to see what other people here were using. thanks!

my mom has this amazing thing she bought from ikea that is shelves that cover her whole wall. they look like boxes that fit about 5/6 hard cover books (depending on the fatness of the book) in each box section. and her whole wall in her living room is covered. it looks amazing and i know that i'm going to do that to my own wall one day.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/11683/

here's a link to how it looks. hope it's helpful.
    “It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” –Tanis

"If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater." - Tanis

In boxes.: )

I have floor to ceiling bookcases (4 of), which are polished wood and have 5 shelves. Each one can house around 120 or so books, which means that my entire DL collection (novels, modules, comics, gamebooks, sourcebooks, etc) is split across 1.5 bookcases. The rest houses my FR, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Pratchett, Gemmell, Rice and other books. I have a lot of books... but then I read almost every day on the train, to & from work.

I have Walmart specials 3 bookshelves floor to ceiling with 5 shelves each, and I have two office desks that are corner models with overhead storage as well as all drawers stacked full of D&D and Dragonlance, plus an end table that has a large (18"Wx12"Tx30"D) drawer full of the more used D&D books. And, I also have a TV table that has openings for VCRs and such that isn't currently housing those things, but books instead, I have D&D books coming out of every crack it seems But I'm in the middle of a move too.
    "...i can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of flames into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumbles in my presence...."

"...but I bow in the presence of a master..."

Lord Soth to Raistlin

Whatever you get, make sure it is made out of solid wood, not that chipboard covered in a laminate the looks kinda like wood.

It's a bit more expensive, but solid wood won't warp the way every freakin one of my cheap chipboard shelves eventually did. They get kinda bowed in the middle of each shelf after a while. At first you think you're just imagining it, but as things get worse the lack of orthogonal lines starts to drive you mad.

Or maybe that's just me.

I picked up a set of clear-varnished, solid pine shelves to replace my old shelves, and 6 years later they are still perfectly straight and beautiful looking. If the only thing you ever use them for is to store your book collection, and you're careful when you move 'em, there's no reason for quality shelves to wear out or get damaged, ever.

Sure they were more costly than shelves from Walmart, but I intend to have them in my office/den basically forever. Much like my pricey 5 year-old leather shoes that still look nice, paying a bit more up front usually means you save money (and enjoy a better product) in the long run.

How did I get derailed into a rant about my shopping philosophy?

Yeah, I've learned my lesson well. Any new furniture I buy is going to be real wood, my two desks I bought a year ago for my home office were around $800 a piece, but they are real wood and will withstand lot more, probably outlasting the cheap stuff 4:1.
    "...i can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of flames into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumbles in my presence...."

"...but I bow in the presence of a master..."

Lord Soth to Raistlin

I picked up some book shelves from office depot of all places. but the book cases were on sale. Interestingly enough the frame of the book shelf was particle board but the actual shelf was made of solid wood with the same varnish finish.

Weldon
    Last edited by Weldon Chen; 01-26-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

my are oak that my grandfather made by hand when i was a kid and they are still in great shape

I have some Home Depot shelves. There are 4 of them but the top one houses some toys (an original Rancor wearing my lucky Dodgers hat, Millenium Falcon, Jabba the Hutt and Slave 1) and swords. The bottom one my non Dragonlance books and a speaker.
    "I am a Knight of Solamnia. I am the hand of Paladine, of Kiri-Jolith, and of Habbakuk on this world. You are on Krynn. You are mine, Queen of Darkness."
    —Huma Dragonbane, The Legend of Huma