Thread: Knightly Orders - Knight of the Rose

Envic Guest

Default Knightly Orders - Knight of the Rose

A player of mine was thinking of advancing his character as a Rose Knight until we noticed in the Knightly Orders book that Divine Grace/Knightly Courage (Cha Modifier to saves) had been removed from Rose Knights from the original Campaign Setting. Was this intended? I looked through the KOoA errata but couldn't find any releveant.

Knightly Courage (+ CHA mod to saves vs Fear) is replaced with Aura of Courage (immune to Fear) in Sword & Rose Knights.

As for Divine Grace, that looks like it was intentional to me. . .
    Only Sword Knights gain that ability due to their closer connection with their deities, also reflected in their ability to cast spells if they go the Clerist route.
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

Envic Guest

Oh damn, I misread Knightly Courage. My groups has been playing that wrong for a long time.

There is no such thing as wrong you da DM. Modify rules however you like for your campaigns.
    Lord Sam Hanlon
    Long Live the Lance

Once known on these forums as Samuel Blackmage

Yes, those were intentional changes. As whoisrube points out, Aura of Courage is a lot better than Knightly Courage. Note that you could, if you wanted, advance a character through the Crown and Rose PrCs before you took the Rose Knight one, but you'd get some overlap and it wouldn't be as efficient as going straight into Rose.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Default Knightly Orders in the age of Despair

Hello all, this is my first post.

I' DMing a short campaign set in Istar just during the first Cataclysm, between age of Might and Age of Despair.

A player of mine plays a knight of the Crown , and he would advance soon to the next order of Solamnia, the Knights of the Sword (after being survived to the Cataclysm).

Now, I have studied the complicated table at pag.26 of War of the Lance manual, where is explained how to modify these prestige classes so that they can fit to the absence of magic.

The problem is that in the related table in the next page, there is a class feature, Rose Petition for which I haven't found any description.

In particular, I'm wondering if Rose Petition could be something like Divine Grace, which is missing.
    Or divine grace was deleted just as the spellcasting ability because of the missing of Gods and their magic?

I don't believe its a class feature as much as a reminder to the player: Rose Petition is the first level at which the Knight of the Sword can petition to become a Knight of the Rose. Once the character has enough XP to take the 4th level of the KoS prestige class, he can take 1 level in KoR instead, assuming the RP elements have been met.

But, this has all been updated in Knightly Orders of Ansalon which came out AFTER War of the Lance. If you can find that book, I highly recommend it. It has much clearer rules for Solamnic Knight class progression.
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)