Page 1 of 565 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragons of Autumn (Planning Thread)

Default Dragons of Autumn (Planning Thread)

I figure if my friend Bong Bellowsmoke can run Key of Destiny here on the forums, I should be able to get away with running Dragons of Autumn, right?

I'm looking to play the Chronicles modules with an original set of eight heroes created by the players. For now I think that Tika, Laurana, and Gilthanas will remain NPCs in the story. Anyone interested in participating please post your interest here on this thread or simply PM me your character concept.

I'm sticking close to canon for this, which means no spellcasting bards (masters with a perform focus are welcome), and no mystics, sorcerers or ambient casters of any kinds. Keep in mind that until the Disks of Mishakal have been discovered and read by the players, any divine spellcaster class will not have access to their spells and supernatural abilities (making paladins somewhat of a moot point too). The gods are mythical figures at this point in history. Additionally, Tarmaks and draconians are unknown in this region of the world right now so there will be no PC versions of them allowed. Since the heroes should be from Abanasia (or at least grown up in the region) I'd prefer to stay away from the exotic and strange races altogether.

There are also a number of character archetypes that are important to the ebb and flow of the adventure. There are four major archetypes and a number of smaller ones. I'd like to try and create a full party of eight archetypes/characters, conceptually fullfilling the roles of the classic Innfellows in our adventures. You should keep these concepts in mind while brainstorming your character concepts

Major Archetypes
    The Prophet - This character is chosen by the gods of Light to hear the goddess Mishakal's calling. They obtain the Blue Crystal Staff and, using it, retrieve the Disks of Mishakal - the holy scripture that will return the knowledge of the gods to the people. In the novels the character of Goldmoon fullfilled this role. This player should be willing to take at least one level of cleric after the Disks are recovered (if they're recovered ) and must have a good alignment.

The Leader - The Leader is the face of the group. They do the talking in social situations and are trusted to make decisions on behalf of the entire party. In the novels Tanis Half-Elven fullfilled this role. Many classes could fill this role; a noble or charismatic fighter would be ideal.

The Rogue - The jack of all trades. This archetype as a wide array of skills at their disposal and uses then to their own advantage and to assist other members of the party. In the novels the kender Tasslehoff Burrfoot fullfilled this role. Rogues and rangers can fit this role very well; a mariner or master with suitable specializations may also work.

The Sage - In this adventure most of the group is ignorant of Ansalon's past except for the Sage character. Only by uncovering and understanding the past will the heroes succeed at certain tasks, making this character very important to the success of the adventure. In the novels Raistlin Majere filled this role. Wizards, master sages, and rogues with the appropriate Skill Point allocations would fill this role well.

We have to have the above four to run this game. Provided there's enough interest, I'd like to fill these roles as well:

Minor Archtypes
    The Ranger - His combat abilities and knowledge of the wilderness and nature make him a valuable asset to the party when traveling the world. In the novels Riverwind fullfilled this role. PCs with levels in barbarian, fighter, or ranger are the most likely candidates to fill this role.

The Mentor - This is the character who teaches by example, is a steadfast friend, and counsels the others using his life experience. In the novels, the dwarf Flint Fireforge filled this role. The requirements for this archetype are purely role-playing based so any class would work.

The Protector - This is the guy who's willing to put himself in harms way for the good of the party, always stepping in to shield the ones he loves. In the novels Caramon Majere (and Riverwind) filled this role. Fighters and barbarians are going to be the best candidates for this role.

The Idealist - This archetype is that of the beautiful, gifted, and doomed. This character is fated to fullfill some destiny during the adventure and his willing to give up his life to accomplish the task. In the novels Sturm Brightblade filled this role. The character should theoretically have ties to the ideals of the Knights of Solamnia, although a non-knightly character may prove to have the commitment and conviction to rise above the darkness and inspire others at great risk to themselves is cool too.

Hopefully that's some food for thought. Once I have all my players and folks have at least settled on races and classes we'll work together on the planner to flesh out backstories. Given the close personal ties pre-supposed by the module for the character I'd like a majority of the group to be close friends or relatives who grew up in or around the town of Solace.

Rules and Stuff

1. Par for the course, there will be the story thread and two planning threads. This planning thread will be for announcements, out of character chatter, etc. A second planning thread will contain the players’ character sheets.

2. For die rolling, we’re going to be using the honor system. I will be rolling your character’s saving throws and occasional skill check, so it will be important to keep your character sheet edited and updated (hence, character sheets having their own thread where they will be easily accessible to all of us.) You’ll be rolling attack rolls, skill checks, caster level checks, and countless other things when applicable.

3. Like in other games similar to this this, OOC notes will be important to how things work. Please divide your posts into two sections when die rolls or an explanation of game mechanics is necessary. First, write your post from a prose/story point of view (past tense please). Then, in a separate paragraph at the bottom, with an OOC marker, state briefly in plain language/game mechanics what it is you are attempting, and list any necessary rolls (such as an atack roll or skill check) that you make. I will then post the results/consequences of your actions (whether or not you hit, etc.). This will mainly be needed in combat or when you are using your skills.

4. I'm borrowing Bong Bellowsmoke's Initiative rules to facilitate play.
    a. I'll roll Initiative for the monsters and the party.
    b. Depending on who wins Initiative that side goes first or last. People can post on the party's turn in any order. It's been found that this system helps speed up the game quite a bit.
    c. Once the party has taken their turns I will post the results of your actions and then post for the monsters. The process will repeat itself until combat is over.

5. As per the module players will not earn XP. Given the faster rate that players earn XP in 3.5 versus older editions of the games, the heroes would quickly outstrip the power levels of the adventure using that system. To retain the "classic" feel of the original modules players will be awarded levels following the completion of each of the four major story arcs of the adventure.

That's all for now. I look forward to playing and seeing the kind of characters you'll create so that we can experience this classic Dragonlance adventure together!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 01-23-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

I'd like to jump in here! I'm interested in filling the "Sage" role, with a human wizard as my character. I'll think about a backstory and edit this post. What time frame is this? I mean, I know it's the War of the Lance and all that, but does it have a specific starting year or location?

How much of a character description would you like? I have a progression in mind, but I'm not sure how much you want revealed in the planning stages.

And you're in! Don't worry about to much character detail yet, since you're my only official player right now (others have said they will likely play, I'm just waiting for them to post). If you're interested in playing a wizard character you'll need to decide if they're a member of the Orders of High Sorcery or not and we'll have to discuss what the character's Test was like if he took one.

I'm not going to start the Character Sheet Thread until we have the full crew and everyone has decided on their basic characters. Likely a lot of the little details will be hammered out together to make the group fit. Please PM me your basic outline for the character. You can post his official background when the Character Sheet Thread is up.

This stuff goes for anyone else out there interested in playing!

The month and year in question is Autumn Harvest of 350 A.C.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 09-18-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Head Moderator &

You're probably looking for someone with more D&D experience than I have but if you'd be willing to have someone kinda learning as he goes than I'd love to play the ranger role. If not I totally understand.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

I'm actually talking to someone else about the ranger role via PM as we speak, but there might still be a spot for you down the road jake. I'll let you know when I've heard from more folks!
    Head Moderator &

So, uh, dibs on the rogue role. I was thinking human rogue. No super special abilities or level adjustment, though. Not yet...

man, bong really hit it out of the park with his template on running a module on the forums, didn't he =)
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

I'd take a stab at the prophet archetype, if nobody else is lined up.
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!

lol. clark, i don't know how meta it would be if you, the scribe of the adventure, became the prophet of the story YOU WROTE. it's a time conundrum that would make tracy proud.

Hell, you could even be astinus, taken from time to become gilean, only to write your own story again.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Quote Originally Posted by talinthas
    lol. clark, i don't know how meta it would be if you, the scribe of the adventure, became the prophet of the story YOU WROTE. it's a time conundrum that would make tracy proud.
    I'm a bit afraid that if I roll any natural 20s, the world will end.
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!