Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "Elven Exiles: Destiny" DISCUSSION--w/SPOILERS

Default Well, OK . . .

Eons ago Zivilyn was goaded by another god into making a being. He chose to take an existing animal and transformed into the semblance of an elf, just to show that the elves were not special because of how they looked but by what they did. His creation, having free will, eluded his creator and led a life on his own. He dabbled in the affairs of the elven nations for centuries (his lifespan was prolonged by his mastery of the magical arts). At one time, smitten with loneliness for others of his kind (and angry at the proud, selfish elves) he tried to reproduce his own creation by using his magic to breed a race of animal-elves. It didn't work. Only a handful of these creatures managed to transform, and the change proved to be not permanent.

Zivilyn's creation was punished for his blasphemous work and his "children" were imprisoned far from the elf realm. They died out over time, all but one. He followed in his "father's" footsteps, prolonging his life far beyond a normal span through the use of illicit magic. He sought nothing less than the total destruction of the elf race, but chance and the powers arrayed against him were too strong.

In their extremity Zivilyn decided to intervene to aid the elves, having caused them so much grief with his earlier creation. He was forbidden to do so, so he resorted to disguises and very subtle subterfuges. He succeeded, but in the end he was caught and punished by his peers.

I leave you all to fill in the blanks here . . .

Best wishes,

PBT

see, now that is just AWESOME. Why would you hide this from us?

man, i'm suddenly reexcited about this idea in a way that i haven't been for years. wow. so cool =) Moreover, it makes me want to reread pretty much every book you guys have done.

I really like how you've brought in new divine beings into your stories. it gives more...flesh to the skeleton of gods we have. I never understood why there were only the 21, and not, you know, a bunch of celestial beaurocrats. Where are the saints of DL, or the angels, or the divine assistants?
    Last edited by talinthas; 10-08-2007 at 08:04 PM.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Just finished Destiny. What an amazing book. I loved every minute of it and the ending was just beautiful. I don't think I have enjoyed a dragonlance book this much since Sacred Fire.

In prior dragonlance books, although Gilthas was speaker of the sun (and then of the stars and sun), he never felt like a ruler to me. I think in this book we see a real transformation in Gilthas's identity from the Pathfinder to the Speaker. By the end of this book, it is believable that Gil could be ruler of the united elven nations in a way that it never was before. That is great writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Apol
    Eons ago Zivilyn[...]
    Wow Paul. That really raises a lot more questions. Is Zivilyn's pet vedvedsica? If so, in the Barbarian's trilogy, did vedvedsica know he wasn't really an elf?

Suppose an Elf/animal and an elf fell in love and got married and had kids, does that mean the offspring could possibly become a werewolf- or a wolfwere- creature?

Weldon
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen
    Suppose an Elf/animal and an elf fell in love and got married and had kids, does that mean the offspring could possibly become a werewolf- or a wolfwere- creature?
    Weldon, you need to stop thinking about this stuff.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

I would like an in-depth book describing Ved's doing, and his motivation. Which reminds me: Did he die? If so, when? And was it from natural causes? And if he was angry at the elves, why did he help them in the Kinslayer Wars? And why did he feel the need to turn Balif into a kender? What was the motivation?
    Kith Koby, Speaker of the Sun and Stars.

"And thy renown went forth among the nations for thy beauty;
    for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." -Ezekiel, XVI, 14.

"From the Devil they come and to the Devil they will go." - Bernard of Clairvaux.

"Auta i lome!" - "Day shall come again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kith Koby
    I would like an in-depth book describing Ved's doing, and his motivation. Which reminds me: Did he die? If so, when? And was it from natural causes? And if he was angry at the elves, why did he help them in the Kinslayer Wars? And why did he feel the need to turn Balif into a kender? What was the motivation?
    Now, see, I wouldn't want an in-depth book explaining Vedvedsica's motives and his actions. I think that'd be a huge let-down, even if it would explain everything. I like that some things are left as mysteries and some agents are but shadows in history, never seen under the harsh light of academia.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks
    Weldon, you need to stop thinking about this stuff.

Cheers,
    Cam
    If there's any opportunity to bring in lycathropy, half-orcs, gem dragons, psionics, dark-skinned sward-wielding rangers and the occasional "Wooly Rupert" into dragonlance continuity, I'm all giggles for it.

Weldon
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Default More questions . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Weldon Chen
    Wow Paul. That really raises a lot more questions. Is Zivilyn's pet vedvedsica? If so, in the Barbarian's trilogy, did vedvedsica know he wasn't really an elf?
    I would think Ved knew what he was by the time he had any appreciable magical ability.

Weldon
    That has happened, though the result wasn't a shapeshifter.

(Don't ask--think about it!)

:-)

PBT

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by talinthas
    see, now that is just AWESOME. Why would you hide this from us?
    Sometimes just for fun (and to feed the Mystery), but other times because of Editorial Fiat.

PBT