Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "Elven Exiles: Destiny" DISCUSSION--w/SPOILERS

So what are you suggesting? That Porthios will agree to a Qualinesti with a goblin nation? When the Abyys freezes over!
    Kith Koby, Speaker of the Sun and Stars.

"And thy renown went forth among the nations for thy beauty;
    for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." -Ezekiel, XVI, 14.

"From the Devil they come and to the Devil they will go." - Bernard of Clairvaux.

"Auta i lome!" - "Day shall come again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kith Koby
    So what are you suggesting? That Porthios will agree to a Qualinesti with a goblin nation? When the Abyys freezes over!
    More like he is a bit of fodder for that storyline possiblity. Though the conclusion of Qualinesti fate had already been mostly pre-determined by now and it is just the story going through the events to it.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

I'm suggesting that Porthios and his fighters will give the goblins plenty to do for the next two books.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Do you guys think Sa'ida is going to be the new goldmoon? I think shes probably going to play a big part in getting Qualinesti at least. Who is the god thats been helping? Do we know?
    Quenta solari nen heth y mori

-Sari

"We will sing the hero songs ourselves"
    -Steel Brightblade

Default If it were a deity...

I thought it was Zivilyn, Paladine, Sirrion, Majere, or Branchala, in that order of likeliness. The flavor just didn't match Branchala or Majere it seemed (perhaps closer for Majere). I only thought Sirrion when he spoke with Porthios on the way back to Qualinesti (in light of Porthios's ordeal by dragon fire). I ruled out Paladine since the character (old human priest) was divinely punished at the end...I didn't think Paladine had much more divinity to lose! Zivilyn seems like the best match. He was simultaneously concerned with maintaining the Balance of the world and yet not interfering. Plus his helping them find the Vale of Silence parallels nicely with the idea of Zhan. And having it be a neutral deity would balance out the pantheons for the next 500 years.

HOWEVER, as noted earlier in the thread Thompson has apparently mentioned somewhere that the character of the old human priest was not meant to be a deity/aspect but a servitor creature. It just seems really odd that the elves would "recognize" him or his status (based on their reactions of respect towards him) and then in the end he's some random servitor creature the readership hasn't ever heard of. What?? I would guess most readers were expecting a deity to be revealed. After sitting with this for a while, I think I'd rather it left a mystery as opposed to being "definitely not a deity." I don't know...maybe I'm missing something.

Regarding Sa'ida, she didn't strike me as a Goldmoon-like character, and I didn't see the set-up as leading to a Goldmoon-like scenario, but I really didn't think about it much. ...Yeah, I'm not sure what role she'll play in the struggles to reclaim Qualinesti. Good question!

Default Who's who

There seems to be a little confusion between Faeterus and our unnamed friend with the bats. Faeterus is not a god. Our friend is; or at least, he's the mortal appearance of a god.

PBT

then now i'm REALLY confused. At the end, when that 'god' is banished for 500 years, what exactly does that mean? is one of the 21 no longer a god at all, or just denied a mortal aspect?

Jeez, Paul, would it kill ya to have a little clarity once in a while? =)
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Default Oh, I see...

YES! Well, that brings the ending back into that realm of super-revelation type thing I thought it was. Great. I didn't realize there were two character discussions intertwined here. No wonder I was confuzzled.

So, if I may address you directly here for sake of the discussion, Mr. Thompson, which deity might it be?

Also, while we've got a few moments attention, was there any symbolism meant with the four animal-elf creatures who haunted Favaronas? I was thinking they were red, black, and white for the moons, and yellow for primal sorcery. Was that just coincidence? A red herring perhaps?

I will restrain myself from singing your praises here and post them on the "direct to the authors" thread. Suffice it to say this reader enjoys your writing immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Apol
    There seems to be a little confusion between Faeterus and our unnamed friend with the bats. Faeterus is not a god. Our friend is; or at least, he's the mortal appearance of a god.
    You mean *that* is what really happened to Takhisis. Holy wow! :rolleyes:

Weldon
    Fanwank
    Formerly from Wikipedia, circa 2006-7,
    A fanwank is [...] an attempt by fans of a work of fiction to explain or justify plot holes or continuity errors, often through convoluted contrivances...

Quote Originally Posted by talinthas
    then now i'm REALLY confused. At the end, when that 'god' is banished for 500 years, what exactly does that mean? is one of the 21 no longer a god at all, or just denied a mortal aspect?

Jeez, Paul, would it kill ya to have a little clarity once in a while? =)
    Me too!

*Eats himself*