Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: "Elven Exiles: Destiny" DISCUSSION--w/SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by Gatt
    Actually, the Monoliths were indirectly introduced in the Plainsman series and discovered by Vedvedsica, they predate him by quite a bit. Assuming that it's the same thing carried over, which only makes sense since they're talking about Vedvedsica and he did some work with Monoliths in the Plainsman series.
    That's an interesting tidbit, though I don't see how it contradicts anything Nazralte said.

Quote Originally Posted by pain_the_ranger
    I thought the book debunked the theory that the dragon stones were buried in the valley. It was a red herring.
    I thought so too. Does anyone remember what the jewel that Hytanthas uses to light his way in the tunnels ends up being? I thought it was mentioned, but don't recall clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by pain_the_ranger
    So, depending on the definition of the 4 magics, the may or may not have been resolved. I agree two are definately resolved. I think that the monoliths signified a 3rd magic and they, too, are gone. And maybe the last magic has been reversed, making the land extremely fertile instead of barren. That's just my input.
    Yes, the spirits are resolved and the will-o-wisps are resolved. The monoliths are resolved, and in their resolution released the energy that made the land fertile (rather than destroying everything as Faeterus had intended it to).

So the last magic is either the curse the gods placed on the valley to shush people away OR the sort of metamagic worked over the monoliths...because really the monoliths had their own energy (the energy of the sorcerers) and the elaborate ritual Faeterus(sp?) did was something that accessed the power of the monoliths...right? In other words, the monoliths were not originally conceived as a major weapon...just as sorcerous tombs or repositories. Or perhaps Faeterus's ritual, while it is a major magic, is not one of the four native to the valley. That would make sense too.

In any case, they are all resolved unless the general curse over the valley is still there to keep people away. Alright, sleepy and confused. Done for now.

I've got a question. If this is where the Elven peoples are pretty much going to live or die how come they don't have a single good dragon with them? I got that the dragon's numbers are lower then normal but there wasn't one dragon who thought it might be a good idea to make sure all these elves don't die? In the war of souls they had an army of golds and silvers and all those dragons just left the elves alone in a place where they have good chance of all dying? Seems kind of silly to me.

Characters:
    -Loren Soth (LG Male Human Fighter 7/Paladin 3; Dragons on the River of Time)
    -Kadrien Soth (Zabrak Soldier 5/Jedi 2; Star Wars-Dawn of Defiance)
    -Victaria Grey (NG Female Cleric of Irori 5; Rise of the Runelords)

The dragons have their own problems, I'm sure.
    Greygemologist

Well, at the END of the war of souls they had some help from dragons (the races of krynn that is, not just the elves), but the good dragons tend to be like the gods, not interfering the balance and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas
    The dragons have their own problems, I'm sure.
    If not still working off the massive depression which resulted from the end of the War of Souls with Paladine's diminishment.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

Resurrecting this thread a little since I just finished Elven Exiles. In my opinion the trilogy was great. I have always loved the elves and I loved the seeing the change Gilthas has undergone since his days as the puppet king. The fates of some of the characters bothered me a little bit. I thought Planchet could have gone out a little better, or even yet have survived. Faeterus' death, for being the main villain of the series, was slightly boring however I still ovrall enjoyed the series. On to the Kingpriest Trilogy!

Default A voice from long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Darcwulf View Post
    Tylocost?
    Yes, that's one example. Good eye for plot detail!

PBT