Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Elven Exiles: Destiny" DISCUSSION--w/SPOILERS

Arrow "Elven Exiles: Destiny" DISCUSSION--w/SPOILERS

Well, there's the thread direct to the authors and the thread for direct plot info. Let's have the discussion here, shall we? Hmm...my first comment/question is:

The number of good, neutral, and evil deities is balanced out now, right? At least for the next 499 years and 10 months. Is that the impression everyone else got?
    Last edited by marius; 09-28-2007 at 03:24 PM.

Thompson has said in other threads that this dude was an aspect of a god, or a helper of a god, or like divine being, but not a god itself.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Default more discussion

Hm. I'll have to sit with that to see what I think of it. It wouldn't make sense if it was just an aspect getting stripped of divine powers. Big deal, the god could just make another aspect. As for a divine servitor, that sounds more plausible, though a bit odd. Hm.

A second item for disussion...what are we to think of Speaker Silvanos's suppressing of "resistance to the throne?" It sounded a little harsh and scandalous upon first reading to me. Was the Brown Hood Society wanting to stay separate from the Silvanesti government, or were they violent anarchists trying to topple the throne, or what? (This stuff is on page 307.) "Clerical opposition" to Silvanos is mentioned. What does that mean? I guess I'm a little unsatisfied simply swallowing that there were just some bad guys imprisoned in some valley. And I guess I'm supposed to assume the Speaker was perfectly pure and good and justified?

Oh, btw, despite having used the word "unsatisfied" above I would like to make it clear that I really enjoyed this trilogy.
    Last edited by marius; 09-29-2007 at 02:16 AM.

i liked it. i liked the idea that silvanos wasn't perfect, and that he wasn't just unanimously given control, and that some elves just frankly didn't like him.

and more than that, i'd like this to lead into a thompson and cook trilogy about that time =)
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

Actually, I also liked the idea that Silvanos wasn't perfect. Spiced things up a bit. My only reservation was when I started thinking that that was perhaps not the intent. That maybe the reader is expected to assume Silvanos was justified in suppressing/oppressing political opposition. That obviously they had to wipe out an entire society of sorcerers because that society disagreed with the throne.

It really does make that time even more interesting if such drama is a part of it. You're right, Tal, excellent set-up for their next elven trilogy!

Was the old guy Vedvedsica? After reading the book, and after having read some of Mr. Thompsons posts on this forum, that seems like the only possible person he could be.

Or was it someone else entirely?

If you really want to know...

Destiny SPOILER warning!!!!!!!!!!

Faetrus was an animal made into an elf by Vedvedsica. And see more on the 'Please give me Spoilers for Destiny: Elven Exiles' thread.
    Last edited by Kith Koby; 09-29-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    Kith Koby, Speaker of the Sun and Stars.

"And thy renown went forth among the nations for thy beauty;
    for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord God." -Ezekiel, XVI, 14.

"From the Devil they come and to the Devil they will go." - Bernard of Clairvaux.

"Auta i lome!" - "Day shall come again!"

quick question about the the 2nd elven exhile book...what god was helping porthois? I have an idea but I want to be sure.
    Quenta solari nen heth y mori

-Sari

"We will sing the hero songs ourselves"
    -Steel Brightblade

hmmm. I haven't quite finished this book, and I guess I should have heeded the spoiler warnings. ..

I'm at the part where the bounty hunter was just deposited in the ground, and the sunset thing has been discovered, but not interpreted. And as far as I can tell, nothing of significance has happened! There hasn't been a big battle, no one important has died (yet). Its so bizar to me after reading the last two books where elves where being slaughtered and very nearly brought to complete extinction in the previous book. This is such a HUGE change of pace, but I find I can't put the book down either. I'm just waiting for something to happen. I really hope I am not let down.

I'm also a littl peeved at Porthios and Alhanna in this one. They show up, save the day, then bugger off! It doesn't make sense to me. Not one bit. Sure they are setting up other novels. But why write them in in the first place? It seems like Porthios is kind of a cheep hooker or something, used then discarded as a litterary tool.

I haven't finished this book yet, so I might be wrong about Porthios's participation in this one, and there could be some huge events comming up as well. I really expect the speaker to die, especially since his wife is with child. Now that the line can go on, there is no more need for the Pathfinder. I'm just guessing here. After all this non-eventfulness something big HAS to happen.
    Can't wait for Quantum of Solace DVD!

I'm of the opinion that Porthios/Alhana is what Paul was talking about when he mentioned that parts of the story were forced on him, and were put into the story to set up the greater storyline. Remember, the goblins in Rebellion are going to Qualinesti. Who do you think they're going to run into over there?
    --
    ---