Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Journal of Nathril Stoneshaper

Doesn't Stabelina try to brain Simone with a pan soon? That was one of my favorite Stabelina moments. I imagine an almost 3' tall gnome standing on a stool washing dishes and all of a sudden rounding on Simone and trying her hardest to beat the snot out of the paladin. A mystic, trying to beat up a paladin, is hilarious to me.

Yep, that little altercation occurs in the next update. Nathril (the character, as opposed to me, the poster) didn't catch the very beginning of the fight, but he certainly got involved. He will mention the frying pan in the journal.

Ah yes, that was back before we decided Simone shouldn't have Divine Sacrifice. I was winding up for one hell of a punch.
    Salinus Wavebreaker - KoD, SoS
    Tempest "Downfall" Windstrider - DoA, DoW, DRT
    Simone Belmonte - JoNS, JN, DRT

Default Ship to Solanthus, entering Throt

Dry-Heat 12:

You’d think after such an eventful night, we’d get a break from the excitement. Today started off normal – a little breakfast, short walk above deck – then things went a little downhill. Heard a crash below decks as I was enjoying the sun. Rushed downstairs and found Stabelina and Simone beating each other – the little gnome and the pretty paladin! Quite a sight to see – the gnome brandishing a frying pan, while standing on the stool she was using to reach the dishes in the wash basin. But rather than watch the fight develop, I wrapped my arms around Stabelina and turned around to protect her from Simone (and to keep her little arms from thwacking Simone in that already broken looking nose).

The two quickly snapped out of whatever caused them to turn on each other. Discovered that Simone wears a cursed ring that she can’t take off. Stabelina was overcome with a desire to take the ring and possess it at all costs. Artor came down below too and helped shed some light on what’s going on. Turns out the common thread between everyone that’s been affected by this ring is their shared presence in Durimek. The group decided it would be best to keep everyone who was in Durimek separated from Simone until we can get the ring off of the holy warrior. I offered to use my axe (the humor was lost on the group), but I couldn’t really cut such a pretty hand.

The group decided to enlist Luthen and his orb (something about crying or scrying, not too sure) to look for clues. Azure and Luthen went behind closed doors – I wanted to watch, but Azure made me stand guard outside the door. The pair eventually emerged; Azure looked more upset and scared than I have ever seen someone. We gathered the group and she and Luthen told us what they saw. Now this part was creepy, even for a hardened dwarf warrior like me. Apparently a visage of Wolf – the supposedly dead leader of the Wolfpack back in Silverlode – appeared in Luthen’s orb. But Wolf didn’t look quite the same – he wore black armor and his eyes glowed red. There was a big purple scar across his throat – a souvenir from Azure’s brother Squal when he slit his throat in “The Pit.” I wanted to meet this guy and thank him for keeping my stuff safe from his men in Silverlode, but I don’t think he’ll be in the mood for that conversation. Ever. Artor said this visage of Wolf sounded like he was now a Death Knight – Azure quickly mentioned the name “Chemosh.” My people know him better has “Khemax.” Sounds like this evil god is a little upset at the group for removing the curse over Durimek. Decided it would be a good idea to raise a dead enemy to track and, probably, kill the group. Can’t say I’m looking forward to this encounter. I remember hearing the tales of Lord Soth that parents used to scare the beardlings when they misbehaved. I don’t really want a Death Knight clutching me in his icy grasp.

Looks like this copper medallion will come in handy. I pray that Kijo looks over me and my newfound friends and protects us from the taint of Khemax.

And here I thought the life of a traveling merchant would get a little boring. Never thought I’d be communing with the gods.

OOC: I seem to remember pirategirl (playing Stabelina) rolling really well for her attacks against Simone. We were all surprised to see the gnome actually dealing some melee combat damage. I can't remember if she actually hit Simone with the pan or simply with her tiny fists, but for the sake of descriptive storytelling, let's say the pan was involved.

I wasn't playing with the group when they had the adventure in Durimek, so all of this cursed ring stuff was new to me. I think everyone else was just piecing together the clues of the ring at this point, but I'm not too sure. I do know I was worried about the pending encounter with the newly be-(Death)-knighted Wolf. Luthen would eventually cook up a plan in preparation for the encounter, as you'll see in future posts.

Up next...pirates! Yar!

Default Ship to Solanthus, stopping at Gaardhold mid-afternoon

Dry-Heat 12:

After the excitement from this morning died down, we were well on our way to Gaardhold. The sun was shining as the ship slipped through the waters of the Vingaard. Just starting to relax a bit when Artor spotted a ship in the distance. Appeared to be a pirate ship – the helm was carved to resemble a dragon head breathing fire and a woman who Luthen identified as a priestess of Zeboim stood on its deck. Guess the medallion around her neck and the trident in her hand gave her away. This sea hag’s ship was quickly overtaking us, as if it was being pushed by the Lady of the Tempest herself. Come to think of it, probably was. Luthen decided to put an end to their little pursuit, so he launched fire from his hands at the ship. I think that just annoyed the priestess because as the crew of each ship began exchanging arrows, the clouds above us grew dark and swirled together. The hair on the back of my neck stood up just before a lightning bolt struck the crow’s nest. I was using the mast for cover – luckily I escaped uninjured. Peter, the lookout in the crow’s nest, wasn’t so lucky. The sickly smell of charred flesh hung around for a few seconds before the breeze carried it and the poor boy’s ashes over the water.

There was no time for mourning as Luthen yelled, “Fiendish crocodile!” a few seconds later. I dropped the bow Squal had handed to me and swung my axe off of my back. Guess I need to work on my sea legs though because as I turned, I lost my footing, slid past the beast and fell down the steps into the cargo hold. Not my proudest moment. I struggled to regain my balance, only to be doused with some rank, oily water from above decks. Sounded like Artor took care of the croc – too bad I wasn’t there to help. Found my axe and climbed back up the stairs.

Back on deck, I noticed the pirate ship weaving violently through the water. Not only was the ship badly burned, parts of it were also splintered. It was clearly moving under some kind of magic, but this time I don’t think it was aided by Zeboim. I later learned that Luthen was somehow pushing the ship away from us. Learn more and more about that mage every day. Now that the incapacitated ship was no longer a threat, I went below decks to wash up.

Arrived safely in Gaardhold a few hours later. Before we disembarked, I had the crew get my cart from the cargo hold. Never know when I’ll be able to replenish my stock (or trade it for some coin if I’m lucky), so it’s better to be prepared. Luthen and Squal had some money they wanted to store in my cart anyway. Seemed like quite a bit for just two men – turns out they swiped it from Deathblow back in Bloodwater. Guess we’ll be seeing him again. Squal noticed the longsword Luthen had given me earlier in our travels. He bought it from me right on the spot. Can’t say all this new-found coin is all bad after all.

Everyone paid their farewells to Captain Murn – I’m sure he’s glad to be rid of us, what with a dark god on our tail and all. Fine fellow, the little I know of him. Would’ve liked to get to know him better, but I’m beginning to see that the life of a traveling merchant leaves little time for lasting friendships - apart from my current traveling companions, that is.

As we made our way through town, I noticed a place called Essim’s Equipment Emporium. Been meaning to pick up a better suit of armor, seeing as how life has been getting a little more dangerous with each day that passes. Hope I can find something nice while I’m here. Made our way to The Knight’s Rest – the innkeeper must think he’s quite clever considering the fortress here is an outpost for the Solamnic knights. Found some space in the stable for my cart with the help of the stable boy. Luthen only meant to scare him a little when he caught the boy trying to peek in my locked chest; made the kid float right off the ground. His dad (the clever innkeeper) wasn’t too happy with Luthen after seeing his son scared to tears, but we managed to explain the situation away with no harm done. I helped Luthen carry the sacks of coin into our room rather than leave them in my cart. The mage went to sleep and I joined the rest of the group downstairs for some ale before finding my way to bed.

OOC: Nathril always seemed to have trouble holding onto his axe. Slipping and falling into the cargo hold was the first of many critical fumbles. I hate rolling ones.

Luthen was actually using a Ring of Telekinesis that he picked up somewhere in his travels. He focused the ring on the pirate ship's steering wheel and turned it, which was causing the spastic movement. I don't remember what happened to the Cleric of Zeboim. Luthen's fireballs pretty much disabled the ship and we were never boarded. I guess she just decided to retreat after Artor killed her little summoned pet and Luthen burned her ship.

As I recall, the priestess took a little telekinetic tumble into the Vingaard during the fight courtesy of Luthen. Whether she survived or not remains to be seen.

The ring actually belonged to Luthen's former "master," Knight of the Thorn Eygus Blackwing. During the bar room brawl that threw the initial band of heroes together Salinus' original character for this campaign, a kender rogue named Skitto Underfoot, just happened to find the ring in his pouches some time later. When poor Skitto met his end in Durimek Stabelina found it in his stuff, and realizing it was magical, gave it to the wizard for safekeeping.

Luthen had originally traveled to Solamnia to study magic "in its entirity" with the Red Robe half-elven wizard Sully. Unfortunately, when he arrived at Sully's tower he found it (and the nearby village) in the possession of the Dark Knights. The elven wizard fast-talked his way out of death and imprisonment and "apprenticed" himself to Eygus, performing menial tasks cataloguing the items in the tower for minimal magical knowledge. A very cool background for a pretty interesting character.

Nathril, you joined the group after Luthen passed his test, right? I can't remember.
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 10-29-2007 at 10:21 AM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Tauren_Kai-Jere
    Nathril, you joined the group after Luthen passed his test, right? I can't remember.
    It was my first session with the group when you ran Luthen's test. I remember watching it all unfold since I had never seen people playing pen-and-paper D&D (except for the my solo session a month or so earlier) and I was eager to learn the mechanics.

Luthen's test happened while everyone (pre-Nathril) was on the ship. I think it may actually have been when the ship was sailing to Bloodwater. Nathril was already in town and then joined the group through the interaction with Kalen and the band of thugs.

That's right! You didn't play in almost 90 percent of your first group session! I'd forgotten about that.

Thanks for sticking it out.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Default Gaardhold

Dry-Heat 13:

Woke up to an empty inn. None of the group was around and no notes were left for me. Almost makes a dwarf think he’s been abandoned. Luckily I’m not that sensitive. Wanted to check out Essim’s shop anyway, so I made my way there through town. Nice little shop – Essim was a rather helpful fellow too. Asked to see his nicest suit of armor and he showed me an incredibly well-crafted suit of breastplate; quite the step up from the scale mail I’ve been wearing. Traded him my armor, a fine pick that Squal had given me yesterday, plus 50 steel. All in all, a fair deal considering I didn’t pay a copper for that pick. Have to thank Squal and find a way to repay him. Essim told me to come back tomorrow and he’d have my new armor fitted for me and ready to wear.

Decided to light a fire and break out the anvil. Business has been steady lately, but not great. Needed to restock anyway, so I made a simple dagger while I waited for everyone to get back from wherever it is they went. By late evening, a few of the group had returned to the inn. Turns out they were all at the military base because Artor was going through some kind of trial to become a Knight. He came striding into the bar with new armor to go with his new title, Squire of the Crown. Felt pretty good to see someone’s dream begin to be fulfilled and I hope I can help him along this journey. Fine end to a quiet day – spent the rest of the evening celebrating in the common room with the group. A dwarf could get used to these evenings of having fun with some friends and some ale. Somehow I don’t think these good times will last much longer.

OOC: I think at this point I realized how impractical the Craft skill is for an adventuring PC. Nathril couldn't craft weapons fast enough to keep his inventory stocked. It took him an entire day just to make a simple dagger. In the future he finds a way around this problem. But a traveling weaponsmith just wouldn't be a weaponsmith without ranks in Craft (Weaponsmithing). So like a dutiful roleplayer, I continued to give him ranks in the aforementioned skill nearly every time he leveled. It will pay off in the future.

I realize I'm writing a lot about my own experiences in this campaign and not so much everyone else's, unless we participated in a "group event." So to the rest of the group - please feel free to chime in and add your perspectives or interesting stories!
    Last edited by Nathril; 08-29-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Default Leaving Gaardhold, heading for Elmwood

Dry-Heat 14:

The group woke in rather good spirits after last night’s celebration. Decided it was time to move on, but before we left, we needed to find some horses. Been used to dragging this cart on my own, but I guess a break wouldn’t hurt. Went over to visit Essim to see if I could secure us some horses and maybe a fine mule for my cart. Essim wasn’t as friendly as yesterday, ‘course Azure might have had something to do with that. Wouldn’t have taken her along, ‘cept she and her brother know a bit more about horses than I do. I could handle the bartering on my own.

Finally convinced Essim to let us in even though it was so early. Got an excellent deal on a team of horses, a pony and a sturdy little mule. Even managed to get the 50 steel back I paid him yesterday for my armor since the one horse was a little rough, according to Azure anyway. Cleaned out Essim’s whole stable. Buying a merchant’s entire stock gives you a little leverage and steel is the best lever I know. Took our newly acquired animals back to the inn and loaded everyone up for our journey to Elmwood.

Looks like we just can’t get away from the Vingaard. We needed two ferry boats to take us across the width of the river, with my cart taking up a lot of room. As our boats glided lazily across the water, Luthen noticed a woman swimming in the river towards our boats. As she approached, Luthen called out to her, asking why she was in the river and what she was doing. Turned out to be a kender named Kaylee Waveotter, who claimed she swam all the way here from Bloodwater. Luthen used some kind of magic to lift her out of the water and float her over to our ferry. Despite my protests, he decided it would be a good idea to let her onto the boat. I swore to myself that if one thing went missing from my cart, she’d end up right back in the Vingaard.

As if a swimming kender wasn’t odd enough, this one wore kind of drab clothing and had a dagger with long, blue feathers dangling from it strapped to her waist. Azure managed to decipher that Kaylee had “borrowed” this dagger from a temple – said the Blue Phoenix told her to take it and keep it safe. The Blue Phoenix is another name for Habbakuk – the same god who grants Azure the power to heal. Apparently I’m not the only one who gets messages from the gods, but why one would tell a kender to take something – well, that puzzle’s harder than one of my dad’s Metal Mental Mysteries that were so popular in Palanthas. Kaylee told us she was getting away from Bloodwater because of the bad lady there who wanted to use her to do evil. Didn’t get much more out of her on that subject, but we couldn’t shut her up about anything else.

By the time we made it to the other side of the river, I was just about finished with this kender. Kaylee had other plans. She decided to hop on my cart with me, despite me trying to take up the whole seat myself. She started playing this flute, which Simone really seemed to enjoy. Would’ve preferred leaving the kender behind, but Simone convinced me it would be fine to let her ride along. Always did have a soft spot for a pretty lady in armor. So that dagger from earlier – Luthen and Azure realized its value and made some attempts to acquire it, rather than leave it in the hands of a river-swimming kender. Luthen had some kind of rock that floats around his head, so he offered this stone to Kaylee in exchange for the dagger. The little kender actually accepted. Couldn’t get the girl to stop talking as we started riding to Elmwood, which gave me the distinct feeling that this was going to be a very long ride.

OOC: I remember rolling well for Nathril's Profession (Merchant) roll, which we used to determine his success in bartering with Essim. Either that, or Tauren's opposed check for Essim was really low, as he is known to roll. That's not important now - the group had a team of horses and we were now ready to hit the road.

The run-in with Kaylee was my first kender experience. I had been reading Chronicles for the first time during the course of this campaign, so I knew what kenders were and what they did. Nathril was more worried about sticky fingers, which was a result of what I had read. And for the record, Tauren can play a kender like it's his job (well, it is since he's the DM, but anyway...) He just turns on this innocent little kid mode without being annoying (for the most part anyway). It seems to be his most natural character, in my opinion.