Thread: Why 'Tracy Hickman Presents'?

Malarick Guest

Default Why 'Tracy Hickman Presents'?

I was just wondering on the upcoming novels The Chronicler and The Sellsword (by Jamie Chambers and Cam Banks respectively) why are they listed under 'Tracy Hickman Presents'?

Did he have a lot of involvement in the development of the storylines? Did he edit them?

I hope it is more than a little forward, to justify what seems like a marketing ploy. Bang on the name of a New York Times best seller and see if they get picked up.

Also....why Bridges of Time? Again? Ya would have thought WotC could have at least come up with something a little more original.

Don't want to sound all negative though. As I LOVE the cover for The Sellsword (even if it is an early mockup) and I am looking forward to checking out The Chronicler come next Feb!

WotC might have thought that the "Salvatore Presents" War of the Spider Queen was succesful and that it might work as well for DL? And I don't see anything bad in this sort of marketing technique. There is still a lot of people out there who say they won't read any non-Tracy&Margaret books. :(

Malarick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iyuke
    WotC might have thought that the "Salvatore Presents" War of the Spider Queen was succesful and that it might work as well for DL?
    Well that wasn't a 'Presents' series - it was actually a storyline by RAS but written by several other authors. He had a strong input in the series.

But you are right, it turned those authors into New York Times Best Sellers (at least while they worked on that project).

Quote Originally Posted by iyuke
    There is still a lot of people out there who say they won't read any non-Tracy&Margaret books.
    That is a sad thing in itself. If people are fans of the setting then they ought to embrace all the other (often great) tales outside the core novels.

The correct title for the series is Tracy Hickman Presents the Anvil of Time, and the idea for the series and the link that all of the novels share comes from Tracy. So yes, they were his idea, and authors who contribute to the series work from a basic premise when putting together their novel.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Malarick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks
    The correct title for the series is Tracy Hickman Presents the Anvil of Time
    Thanks for that Cam. WotC mock up design team need to get the title right before publishing it.

the idea for the series and the link that all of the novels share comes from Tracy. So yes, they were his idea, and authors who contribute to the series work from a basic premise when putting together their novel.
    This is certainly what I was hoping, not that you guys couldn't come up with great material by yourselves.

I hope that it opens up new doors for you guys to work with WotC on future novels (all of your own creation) though!

So is this series linked by characters or anything then? Does each book affect the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Malarick
    Also....why Bridges of Time? Again? Ya would have thought WotC could have at least come up with something a little more original.
    I would rather much have your normal or typical naming than to have an Author that goes off and create ridiculous names, especially ones that are way too long. Most of us have seem spoofs are things like these. Yes, sometimes it does get boring and old but at least it won't be shocking to make you want to puke. I hope not *gulp* My take on this applies to characters as well. For example, if you change what a "Knight" typically is then you're guarantee to turn off some readers. Take James for example. He made me trash my RoS novels. I like what a "Knight" should be in the normal sense. Too drastic of a change and it's just too much for some readers.

The Salvatore War of the Spider Queen series is my guess for the Hickman Presents series. Working in a library makes me realize that a big name author on a book by a different author is nearly as good as the author writing it himself. Look at all the Tom Clancy Presents books. Or the Jason Bourne books not written by Ludlum. The War of the SPider Queen books were big sellers, some if not all were done in hardback, which right there says they think highly of them.
    "I am a Knight of Solamnia. I am the hand of Paladine, of Kiri-Jolith, and of Habbakuk on this world. You are on Krynn. You are mine, Queen of Darkness."
    —Huma Dragonbane, The Legend of Huma