Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Notes on the DL License and the Future

I intend to contribute some of the things I've posted on these forums to the Nexus, and add some more. I've got AD&D books, and 3.0/3.5, so I'll probably cater to multiple audiences (you old schoolers might need to correct me from time to time... I never actually played AD&D).

About the best I can say about this whole situation is that it's now our responsibility to carry on. Let's not fling excrement at WoTC (not that I, or you, don't want to), because this has a bad chance of backfiring. As Trampas has said, here and to me via email (aren't I proactive? probably more of a pain), the best attitude is a positive one.

This is the end of an age - but all ages end. We can make the next one better, with our thoughts, our needs, and our own creativity.

WE ARE DRAGONLANCE!
    We are Dragonlance!

Sorrow's Explanation of THAC0 for the Mystically Inclined: "THAC0 is merely an infinitesimal quantity of the physical capability to intrude upon an object in four-dimensional space, by utilizing the unyielding laws of the universe rulebook."

Quote Originally Posted by iltharanos
    What is still unclear to me was exactly who's decision regarding the DL
    Wizards chose not to renew our license.

Margaret

bossman Guest

Default 2007 Products

Margaret,

Great news to be able to continue to sell product in 2008. Can you confirm that both Dragons of Winter and Dragons of Summer are scheduled for completion in 2007? I can't see the later in your product release schedule.

Regards & Best of Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Darkness
    Wizards chose not to renew our license.

Margaret
    Why would they do this?

Hmm must ponder this some more. :(
    BŁndesphar | Mage-Slayer | Assassin for Hire | Spellslinger | Unaligned | Medium humanoid

"He Who Chases Death."

Quote Originally Posted by Heron
    Why would they do this?

Hmm must ponder this some more. :(
    Undoubtedly, part of some overreaching business plan that supercedes all their licenses. I don't think this is directed at anybody's performance or anything. Just part of a changing business plan.
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Something I'm really curious about- even though the gaming license has been nixxed, will 'mothballing' DL also affect the novel line? God I hope not- that would be too much to endure. If so, I'll be among the first to sign a petition to prevent that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm
    Undoubtedly, part of some overreaching business plan that supercedes all their licenses. I don't think this is directed at anybody's performance or anything. Just part of a changing business plan.
    If it was to p... off their customers, then mission accomplished. 'Cheakiness' aside, the timing is very suspect on multiple fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by frostdawn
    Something I'm really curious about- even though the gaming license has been nixxed, will 'mothballing' DL also affect the novel line? God I hope not- that would be too much to endure. If so, I'll be among the first to sign a petition to prevent that from happening.

I doubt it, considering that setting as existed before as a "novel only" property.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.--
    Saint Thomas Aquinas

Scribe for the The Candlekeep Compendium

KnightErrantJR's Gamer Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Arek Brimstone
    Everyone keeps blaming WotC for not renewing the license and letting DL die. Now, I know there are rumors of a 4th Edition, but one thought that keeps coming back to me is, what reason is there to bring all your products back under your control? To me, it seems like they may be looking to sell D&D. I don't know who to (since Hasbro owns just about everything)...but that's the outcome I keep coming back to.
    Coca-Cola. Now you can have D&D and a smile.

It could be some legality too. Some wording in the licenses. If they did go to 4e, they wouldn't want anyone with a license using an older system. It could be that these properties would be re-licensed, though I really doubt it considering the time and effort being put into non-renewal.

It's all part of a talker gnome conspiracy...

I'd like to teach the world to game, in perfect harmony...
    Trampas Whiteman
    ---DragonHelm--->

Long Live the Lance!

"Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Dragonlance Nexus!"
    -David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    Margaret,

Great news to be able to continue to sell product in 2008. Can you confirm that both Dragons of Winter and Dragons of Summer are scheduled for completion in 2007? I can't see the later in your product release schedule.
    All product currently scheduled to come out will come out.

Margaret