Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rogue's KoD Campaign

Don't underestimate that spell! During a Test of High Sorcery I ran once that spell is what finally destroyed a lich's phylactery and saved the wizard's life. The best part is that it was his last spell when he cast it!

Given the frequency Garn hurls acid splash around I know you know what I'm talking about when it comes to cantrips.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Default Session 3: Part 1

The battle was over. Though chaos erupted in the Wounded Crow, a tangible quiet almost echoed through the inn of ill-repute. Smells of blood, alcohol, sweat and smoke mingled through the common room, assailing the senses. The inn was true to its name this night.

Sylus kneeled over Uther, finally able to staunch the blood flow from several terrible wounds. Nasiak came to assist, while Taoran checked on the Herald. The irda administered the last healing potion and Uther healed, but not nearly enough. The cleric was still unconscious and down for the count.

Taoran strolled towards the Herald, making sure to pass close to “dispatched” dark knights. Several of their personal effects graced his belt pouches while he hummed a tune. A few moments later, the halfling stopped at the stage. The wizened old Herald was on the floor cradling his throbbing, bloody head. The gray-haired sage opened matching eyes to catch a glimpse of Taoran rifling through his money-pouch. The Herald hastily took his feet, wobbling like a drunkard. He steadied himself and inspected the carnage with a knowing nod. It was if he expected everything. Before anyone could react, the bard approached Uther to cast a spell. All of his injuries closed, the worse scarring up, as the cleric’s eyes popped open in surprise. He immediately stood; studying his benefactor’s stained grey robes and expectant demeanor.

The Herald stared down the adventurers and laughed. “By the Tobril, I dreamt of this. Much awaits you all. The key is yours to find,” he exclaimed. The Herald told them of a renegade Dark Knight named Pegrin holding up somewhere in the area. This rogue and his band specialized in stolen merchandise, and one in particular was an item of destiny for the group. The Herald related he had a room at the Five Dragons Inn and to seek him out later. At this the bard sang a tune praising Gilean (Perform check in upper 30’s) fascinating all, then departing out a side entrance. When everyone came to, the old man had vanished.

As the heroes discussed events, a semblance of order returned to the Wounded Crow. Staff members returned, starting the clean-up process. Suddenly two falchion-wielding Khurish ruffians approached, ordering the party to follow. Blackbird summoned them. Turning down a darkened side hallway towards the front of the building, they passed by several stuffed monstrosities. At the end of the passage two more henchmen stood guard before an iron-bound door. They gained entrance and all were marched into an opulent room contrasting anything the Wounded Crow had to offer. Wood paneling and wonderfully-crafted elven furniture graced an orderly, clean room. Dwarfing the valenwood desk he sat behind, a brute of a half-ogre intently watched as the door slammed behind them. Cruel intelligence gleamed clearly from his beady eyes. Blackbird was very unhappy.

Uther was the first to react. Feeling surrounded and threatened, the cleric spoke his mind and attempted to Intimidate Blackbird. He failed miserably. Blackbird stood up from his chair to counter-Intimidate. “You don’t tell me anything, fool, or you will leave here like those knights as cremated ashes through my cooking chimneys,” he yelled. Clearly a jarring site, the cleric was totally demoralized and kept silent for the rest of the encounter. Pleased, Blackbird took his seat. The half-ogre pointed out that not only did the group make a mess of his establishment, but they also traveled with a wanted man. The heroes heard the door behind them open, close and then lock. The two hall guards had entered, weapons drawn. Almost on cue Sylus piped up. With a successful Diplomacy check, the gangster saw reason. He was the only one with no negative modifiers to his check other than a low charisma.

The ranger agreed to pay off his bounty and some extra steel for the broken furniture. The half-elf went for his money pouch, but it felt light. Showing true kender innocence Taoran paid Blackbird, as he lifted everyone’s money earlier in the day. The half-ogre bellowed a hearty laughed, successfully mollified with hard currency. He emphasized it would do for now, but their Wounded Crow privileges were revoked. “Not to worry, what goes on here stays here.”

Blackbird granted them the use of his information expertise, seeing they were new to the city. Thoroughly disgusted, Uther stepped out, followed by Nasiak. Sylus gave Taoran a piercing look and emptied his money pouch. Another 20 pieces was enough to gain knowledge regarding Pegrin. Blackbird’s eyes narrowed, explaining his camp is in a sparse wood located east of the city proper. “That scum is on the run from Dark Knights, but is dealing in some “hot” loot. I damned him to the Abyss with the prices he asked.” Hearing enough, they said their good-byes. Blackbird watched their exit as wheels turned inside his head.

Finished with their business, the remaining two left the back rooms to find their comrades awaiting them outside. They returned to the Five Dragons Inn with Sylus explaining his purchased tidbit. Though both the cleric and sorcerer were unhappy in the shady dealings, there was no denying their interest. The party agreed to liberate the stolen items to perhaps aid the tight-lipped elves from the previous day. Since most of the items were rumored to be elven, they would surely like them back. The group resolved to spend the next day planning their next move while taking care of business around Pashin. The adventurers slept like the dead, except for Sylus.

In the wee hours of the morning, the ranger lay awake in thought about Blackbird. Sylus heard the scratching noise of paper slipped under the door. Keeping quiet, he hastily lit the room candle. It was from Blackbird. According to the crime boss, the ranger was to work off his debt for slaying his major domo. His first mission was to cut him in on 40% of the profits from their raid against Pegrin. The ranger knew it was to be a long day.
    Last edited by rogue; 06-06-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

Out of my mind, BEEEEP. Please leave a message!

Nice Rogue! I really like the way you are making Blackbird a real pain in the rear for poor Sylus!
    Last edited by Majere; 06-06-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    "And that blockhead Rukin.. he might not be much of a thinker, but he can kill things well I suppose..." Argent: Cleric of Silver Master. ICRP Key of Destiny.

"Well I'll be a pickled dog-turd," Rukin grunted.

I enjoyed that little wrinkle at the end too. Keep 'em comin'!
    Head Moderator &

Oh, just wait. Stuff gets real very soon.

Cool beans! Just don't take so long getting up the next post! You said yourself that you only write government propaganda all day! :p
    "And that blockhead Rukin.. he might not be much of a thinker, but he can kill things well I suppose..." Argent: Cleric of Silver Master. ICRP Key of Destiny.

I know, I know. :o I am getting better about it.

You're good man. I was just happy to see it updated, and felt the need to give you a hard time. I really look forward to reading this, Bong's Campaign Journal, and Tauren's.....if the guy would ever update his! :p

Originally posted by Majere:
    I really look forward to reading this, Bong's Campaign Journal, and Tauren's.....if the guy would ever update his! :p
    We're actually playing our next session of KoD next Saturday, the 16th, so expect an update shortly thereafter!
    Head Moderator &

Default Session 3: Part 2

Morning slowly arrived and Sylus was last to rise. He met his comrades in the common room of the inn and silently sat down to breakfast. They suspected nothing of the letter from his new employer. As they ate the group discussed their plans in hushed tones, lining up a strategy on their assault of the renegade camp. The first motion was to resupply. The adventurers had no healing potions. They noted though Uther’s clerical healing was beneficial, he often fought in the front line of battle. They decided to make a two-fold stop at Old Omar’s Oddities. They would tend to the cryptic business suggested by the inkeep Emmaline and restock supplies. Perhaps there was something to this reward, reminded Taoran. This still left them with a lack of intelligence on the camp’s forces. Sylus remembered Kelwick’s mention of seeing strange people outside of town, and put two and two together. He immediately piped up about using the kender as a resource. They planned to head to his shanty after business at the apothecary shop.

With the sun rising high, the fated travelers sprung out into the town of Pashin. Passing by several Nerakan patrols, the group kept a low profile on their way to the shop. They were none to sure about the knowledge level of their recent activities in the Wounded Crow. They entered Old Omar’s Oddities easily with no encounters along the way.

A pleasant half-ogress greeted them and asked if they needed assistance. Uther decided to get down to business and produced the Legion Star Jewel. Or attempted to, being their kender “borrowed” it some time on the previous day. Introducing herself as Klaudia, she politely told them to wait a moment while posting the “closed” sign and locking the shop door. Returning to the shop counter, she produced a box containing “Jacob the Legionnaire’s” personal effects. Inside was his weapon, armor and a bag full of steel pieces. The half-ogress then asked: “Is this all you want, or do you all have the desire to find out just how deep the rabbit-hole goes.” (hehe, I was proud of that line)

The adventurers gave their vow of secrecy and Klaudia shared the lowdown about Legion of Steel activities in Pashin. She explained the current rebel situation between the elves, khurish nomads and legionnaires. All were fighting the same enemy in the Nerakan Knight occupation, but lacked any type of solidarity. Uther asked for more information about the elves and Klaudia detailed their move “underground,” though she knew little more. The location was a well-kept secret, but the Legion had occasional dealings with their leader, an elf mistress by the name of Shaylin. The half-ogress continued on in regard to the Legion headquarters in Ak-Khurman. If their interest was great, full membership could be gained there. She handed the heroes a written letter bearing a wax seal with the same sigil as the sign outside: a hand holding a skull. “Give this to Kenet Three-Lives. The rest is up to him.” It was all business from there as the heroes graciously traded a magical rapier for some various potions. The group opinion was the Legion effort had a greater need for it, letting Klaudia profit. How little they knew.

From there it was off to Kelwick’s. During their travel to the Northern section of the city a troupe of street acrobats performed for a crowd. As the group approached it was obvious things were turning ugly. Jeers and catcalls were the only things rewarding the performers as they sloppily executed their act. When one of the acrobats fell into the crowd, who was a kender to boot, the villager became restless. More insults and anger came from the crowd, quickly to become an angry mob. The heroes had little time to react. They needed a diversion.

Uther cast Obscuring Mist to confuse the crowd. Sylus made a successful grapple check with Taoran. The kender rogue drew his hoopak in hopefully breaking someone’s knee. Nasiak successfully Bluffed, convincing the commoners a Dark Knight patrol was nearby. After some trampling and stifled screams the crowd ran off. The fog dissipated and Uther gave the worse-for-wear acrobat a minor curative. The performers thanked them, promising their help should they ever need it. The group then continued on their way to Kelwick’s. Once there, it was easy to convince the grateful halfling to do some reconnaissance work. He assured them it would take a few hours, and to meet them at the Five Dragons Inn that very evening. The adventurers returned to await his arrival. Well after nightfall he returned with a crudely drawn map and other useful information. Kelwick took his leave as the adventurers reviewed their intelligence. After a brief exchange, their conclusion was unanimous. They would strike tonight.

I know, I know. More to come.
    Last edited by rogue; 06-16-2007 at 11:58 PM.