Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rogue's KoD Campaign

Default Session 2: Part 1

While conversing of the strangeness of Pashin and its inhabitants, the party members made their way through the city and outside to the bazaar. Filled with all types of people, shops and booths, the kender was in a veritable cornucopia. The others had to hurry to keep him from getting into too much trouble. They toured the booths, stopping to inspect items here and there, buying some basic supplies such as rope etc. Making their way through the booths, the adventurers passed by a non-descript tent, when suddenly the flap opened. A completely bald and blind gnome, from the look of gray cataracts covering his eyes, peaked out and addressed them. The gnome told he was expecting them, and knew they were seeking answers. He related the answers they seek would only lead to more questions, so seek out the elves. The gnome smiled and returned to his tent, closing the flap behind him.

The shocked party members looked at each other, shrugged, and continued walking towards the horse market. (LOL, that was last thing I thought they would do) Continuing on, they saw an unusual centaur charismatically showing off all types of horses to potential customers. Uther, Taoran and Sylus knew they could not afford them, but Nasiak curiously approached the centaur. The irda-in-disguise observed the horsemaster, the first centaur he had seen. The centaur saw the “wizened-looking old man,” and approached to introduce himself as Brannik. Starting his usual sales pitch, the centaur was delighted to see the man take interest. Nasiak even mounted a horse for the first time, and agreed in saying he wanted one of the wonderful beasts. Branik quoted a price of at least 100 steel for one of his lesser breeds. Nasiak gave the centaur a confused look, asking him what this steel was? The centaur huffed, and galloped off angrily at what he thought was an insult for the price. Uther and Sylus gave each other odd looks, but couldn’t discuss it because Taoran was climbing the fence to get to the horses. (Great RP there!)

It was becoming mid-afternoon. Sylus and Toaran agreed that they wanted to check on the body of the assassin and claim his belongings. Uther and Nasiak wanted nothing to do in that business, telling them to meet them at the inn an hour. Sylus and Taoran sped off to the familiar alley, finding the body was still there. They stripped him clean, including the armor, finding all types of booty. Taoran pocketed the money pouch while Sylus was attempting to get off the bloodied armor. The two agreed they would let Sylus inspect the potions and gear, as some could be magical. Making their way back to the Five Dragons Inn without a hitch, Sylus and Taoran headed for their rooms. The innkeeper Emaline stopped Sylus, asking to have a word. The ranger put down the armor, bloody side down, suspiciously eyeing the woman. Emaline called in her daughter who held a rolled up parchment. She meekly gave it to Sylus as he unrolled it. On the paper was an artist’s rendition that could only be a likeness of himself. “It was that scar that made me remember,” the girl said. Under his likeness the words “WANTED: 200 STEEL REWARD, CONTACT BLACKBIRD AT THE WOUNDED CROW,” were written. Sylus told them he had no idea who this Blackbird was. Emmaline believed him, knowing he wasn’t evil from the ring. She told Sylus to be careful of Blackbird, a crimelord of some renown in Pashin, and that his secret was safe. Sylus thanked her and made his way upstairs somberly.

Going into his room, he found the rest of the party. Uther was preaching about letting the dead rest, while Taoran asked how could dead people rest being they weren’t alive anymore. Nasiak Detected Magic seeing the rapier and potions radiated magic, he was able to get the gist of their functions. Divvying up the spoils, Sylus announced he was leaving to speak to Kelwick, the kender they helped the previous day. Taoran, always curious about his sad kin, decided he would accompany him. Uther and Nasiak agreed to stay at the inn, meeting them at The Wounded Crow later on in the evening. Sylus blanched at the mention of the place, but gave a quick nod of agreement before leaving with the kender.

The party splits, muah ha ha ha. More to come for Session 2....
    Last edited by rogue; 03-31-2007 at 09:51 PM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

The image of the kender climbing into the horsepens made me laugh out loud!

You've got a great cast of characters here, rogue. I particular like how Nasiak's player is really RPing the young irda's unfamiliarity with the outside world. I have a PC playing and irda in my regular AoM game, but she basically grew up at the Citadel of Light and is already completely socialized. Your player seems be reveling in the challenges of playing an irda the way I think they really should be.

Can't wait to see how Blackbird figures into Sylus' story!
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Thanks! I have a great cast of characters. They all have a great sense of humor, but they don't take it overboard. This is easily the best game I have DM'd so far. Oh, and things with Blackbird get interesting.

Default Session 2: Part 2

After Sylus and Taoran left, Uther and Nasiak decided to do a little exploring in the dangerous city. It was late afternoon, but the two went for a stroll passing the time until their companions returned. They walked a good ways, when suddenly a man in a cloak and simple dress barreled out of a door not a few feet from them. Both adventurers noticed a glint of metal under his cloak as he ran, sword clinking at his side (Successful Spot). In an instant a large explosion blew out the bottom floor of the building knocking all three off their feet, showering everyone with broken glass and burning pitch. Uther was the first to recover, noticing Nasiak was staggered and the man injured mostly from the fall. The cleric immediately prayed to Kiri-Jolith, casting a minor curative bringing Nasiak back to his feet. The injured man began groaning and slowly recovered his feet. He looked directly at the Uther, seeing a holy man, and asked for help. “Please, help get me out of here. I can barely walk,” said the man. Uther gave the man a stern look, asking just what his business was by running out of an exploding building. Still begging for succor, the man explained he just destroyed a Dark Knight munitions warehouse. Nasiak meekly watched, still in shock over a building blowing up on him.

It was then all three noticed a crowd gathering. The mob shouted all types of outlandish reasons for the explosion, but mostly focusing on the injured trio. The familiar horn sounded, and the party members knew it was time to depart. “Take me to the Five Dragons Inn,” said the man. Still suspicious, Uther watched the man as he started walking down the street when he received no immediate help, wobbling and stumbling the whole way. Taking Nasiak in tow, the cleric followed the man, finally giving him a supporting arm as they hurried back to the inn.

The way was slow, but through the use of back-alleys and side streets, they made progress toward the inn. After rounding a corner, Uther noticed the acquirement of a “tail.” The solamnic told Nasiak and the peasant to hurry along, as he would take care of their shadows. Hiding behind a large trash bin, he popped in front of the cloaked figures, halting them dead in their tracks. Uther was all the more surprised finding his pursuers to be adolescents. “Where are you taking father,” the taller one asked, puffing his chest in his best attempt to look menacing. The cleric stifled a smile, and asked who they were and what were their intentions. The younger teen explained trailing their father at the behest of their mother. “Mother said he cast his lot with some type of legion,” said the scrawny youth. The older teen expressed anger, making to threaten Uther if he hurt his father. The cleric was able to convince the youths to return home, ensuring their father would be safe and sound within the hour. At that, he hustled towards the inn, catching up at the inn entrance. They were met by the innkeeper Emmaline, who ushered them inside with haste. She took the peasant aside, healing him with Cure Light Wounds, much to Uther and Nasiak’s surprise. “Jacob, get out through the back door and go home,” she said. Before he left, he thanked the two companions and threw Uther a Legion star jewel medallion (Successful Knowledge History), then ran out through the kitchen. Uther and Nasiak turned curiously towards Emmaline, whose only reply was to take the jewel to Klaudia at Old Omar’s Oddities. Sharing a brief conspiratorial smile, she left them to their own devices.

Meanwhile, across town, Sylus and Toaran made their way to the Northern slums section of town using Kelwick’s directions. Finally finding the lean-to shanty, Sylus knocked on what passed for a door. The afflicted kender answered, smiling to see his saviors. He invited them in, insisting they eat a hearty dinner of stewed beans. Taoran instantly entered the house to begin exploration. Kelwick quietly assigned Mayleaf to keep an eye on his borrowing habits. As Taoran explored, ate and played with young Mayleaf, Sylus asked about Blackbird. Kelwick was happy to explain him as a half-ogre gangster who cornered Pashin’s black market and prostitution rings some time ago. “I typically go outside of town gathering herbs for Klaudia Lorn, and many a time I have seen his goons gathered in the wilderness for who knows what,” he said.

Though the information gave the ranger some insight, he still for the life of him could not grasp what this Blackbird wanted. Sylus brooded on this while eating his beans. He thanked Kelwick and hurried out to follow a rather bored Taoran. Catching up with his comrade, he dragged him towards the Five Dragons Inn as it was still early.

The party once again united and spent time explaining the afternoon’s events to each other. Daylight waned, and steadily Pashin’s winter night stole upon the city. The group set off, some in better spirits than others. Already pasts and secrets accrued to affect the travelers, as destiny’s road spread to engulf them. Sylus showed emotional distance as he steadied himself for a potential rough night. Taoran lead the way up the road, Uther watching his every move, which were all in turn watched by the culture-shocked Nasiak. Street traffic decreased as townsfolk closed shop, but other types came in their stead. Several young ladies could be seen walking the streets, scantily clad despite the cold evening temperature. As the adventurers made their way up the street, a shapely yet lithe enchantress teasingly walked up to the motley band. With strawberry blonde hair and a smile that could stop any passer-by dead in his tracks, she approached Nasiak with casual interest. “Aren’t you just a handsome gentleman, wanna have some fun,” she asked while brushing a hand playfully across the disguised irda’s chest. Nasiak’s eyes widened to the size of saucers! Gasping in shock of human contact, he reeled back as if she was a plague-bearer of Morgion. Garnering Sylus’ attention, the shock of recognition reverberated through his mind. He knew this woman. The memory sliced into his mind of the woman was also sliced into his face when he saved her life weeks ago.

“Ok, no need to get huffy, I can tell when someone isn’t interested,” she said, gazing at the rest of the men. Her eyes locked on Sylus, instantly recognizing the ranger. “YOU, how did you….?”

Suddenly, two shabbily dressed thugs stepped out of an alleyway. Brandishing crude clubs, these men meant business. “Dove, you owe us. Blackbird is unhappy and wants his cut.”

“Please, I don’t have it yet, I need a few more days,” she pleaded. Dove looked at Sylus for support, stepping behind the half-elf for a human shield. Though he frowned upon her occupation, Uther made a prsence instead, asking the meaning of this encounter. (Aww, what a candidate for a Solamnic Knight )

The thugs told the heroes to mind their business, explaining to Dove to give them what she had; their tax to forget seeing her. Uther would hear none of this prattle. He stood at his full height, brandishing his longsword while threatening extreme violence (successful Intimidate). The imposing sight put enough fear into the goons to scare them off. Dove promptly thanked her benefactors, but said this was only a temporary reprieve as she still owed 25 steel Blackbird. Her eyes turned to Sylus, desperation and emotion betraying her feelings. She started apologizing profusely, tears flowing freely.

The other members of the party watched and listened in curiosity as Sylus asked why Blackbird wanted him. The ranger kept a stoic demeanor as Dove explained the man he killed in the desert was the gangster’s major-domo. They were traveling through the desert to meet a “runner” caravan to finalize black market acquisitions. Dove was sent along for entertainment, but halfway through the journey, the lieutenant decided he wanted a sample of his own. Dove thanked Sylus for saving him, tracing the scar on his face with a supple finger. She continued her story, conferring she ran away in terror after the attempted rape and ensuing fight between Sylus and the scum. Pashin being her life-long home, she returned to the city having nowhere else to go. The lady-of-the-night explained she was picked up and interrogated almost immediately. Blackbird beat her and assigned a debt, then posted a bounty for the traveling ranger.

Sylus silenced the distraught woman, producing her weekly debt from his money pouch. He instructed her to go home. His business with the crime lord would be settled tonight. Dove took the money and only nodded, saying he was indeed insane to even show up at the Wounded Crow. The prostitute took her leave and Sylus turned to his comrades. “Let’s go,” were his only words. The rest of the journey to tavern of ill repute was in stark silence. Even Taoran said nothing, thinking of what a great night he would have after that wonderful exchange.
    Last edited by rogue; 05-14-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Nice to this updated again, rogue. I liked the way a lot your NPCs are being linked together (Kelwick to Klaudia, etc.). Given what was just revealed about Sylus I'm very curious what's going to happen at The Wounded Crow. Blackbird is no push-over!
    Head Moderator &

Yeah, I am a total slackjob. My group is on a hiatus until June, but I still have much more to write. I will post the remainder of Session 2 later on. I am about 1/4 of the way done with Session 3. Perhaps it won't be a month and change between the next update.
    Last edited by rogue; 05-14-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Don't feel bad, man. When was the last time anyone saw an update on my KoD campaign journal? :p

That game was actually supposed to become my group's primary campaign right about now, but then the main character of our regular post-War of Souls game that we've been playing montly these last three years went and got himself killed by a morhg. Now June's session will be a mad scramble to save the dead PC from rising as a zombie and getting things in general back on track before we take a hiatus and jump head-on into the official Age or Mortals campaign. If funny how those pesky PCs always seem to screw up all the DMs plans!
    Head Moderator &

Default Session 2: Conclusion

The heroes finally arrived at the squat, black-painted complex. Seeing the large stone statue of an arrow-pierced crow, it was obviously their destination. They entered through the double doors into an antechamber leading into the inn common room. Grisly, stuffed trophies of fearsome beasts from the four corners of Ansalon adorned the walls. Making their way into the bar area, a scantily clad woman sashayed up to them, asking how she could help. They asked for a table close to where the Herald would play. “Very well,” the woman purred, leading them to a table towards the back of the room.

The men sat down and Uther started almost immediately. He lectured his comrades about honesty and sharing adversities so they could all help each other. The others took into account Uther’s well-meaning speech, but were still silent. A waitress approached taking drink orders. Uther ordered water, while Sylus requested ale. Taoran, always curious, asked about the strongest drink the bar carried. The waitress replied dwarf spirits was a house specialty. Nasiak suddenly ended his silence, asking what dwarf spirits were. The waitress only smiled, replying he would be pleased as they came straight from Thorbardin. Interested, the irda acknowledged his approval. The waitress brought the drinks and everyone took long pulls, hoping a reprieve from stress. Everyone except Uther, that is. After his swig, Nasiak coughed and gasped for air from the potent brew. Tears streamed from red eyes while his cheeks took a rosy color. Taoran laughed and clapped his hand on the irda’s back, garnering another look of extreme uncomfortability.

Again Uther spoke, this time in earnest criticism. “How can you be so naïve and inexperienced, for someone so old? There is just something damned strange about you” the cleric proclaimed. Half drunk and thinking his cover blown, Nasiak stood up at the table. Meaning to stalk off away from his friends, he came to the realization he had nowhere else to go. The irda looked around dejectedly, then took his seat. Just as Uther was about to speak, the room burst into cheering. The Herald had arrived.

Wasting no time, the grey-bearded bard in matching voluminous robes began. The crowd called for different stories spanning Huma Dragonbane to Raistlin’s battle against the Dark Queen. But no, he called; this tale was of the War of the Souls. The wrinkled old man spun his masterpiece of Mina, Takhisis and the fate of Krynn. Minutes melted into hours, until the account took an unforeseeable route. The Herald denounced the dishonorable actions of the Dark Nights of Neraka and their ultimate retreat from the minotaurs in Silvanesti. Boos and catcalls echoed through the common room. A few scattered off-duty dark knights furiously stood up. Unfazed, the Herald attempted to continue. Two knights rushed the bard, while a surly commoner flung an ale mug, barely missing a Nerakan head. Chaos ensued. A nasty free-for-all bar fight arose pitting commoner versus soldier, the adventurers caught in the middle.

Furniture, crockery and even forks soared through the air. A chair overshot the heroes’ table by a hair, while a wooden mug crashed into Uther’s head. Sylus was the first up; going full defensive should any other projectiles come his way. Taoran, the unbeatable kender, responded with action. Unslinging his hoopak and fishing a bullet from a belt pouch, he let loose before Uther could intervene. His aim was true; catching one of the warriors pummeling the Herald flatfooted. The kender deftly moved towards the stage, garnering the attention of two dark knights. Though Taoran’s target missed seeing his attacker, one knight didn’t and promptly drew a bastard sword. The other charged, swinging a fist towards the halfling’s face, but knocking only air.

Spooked about almost eating a chair, Nasiak stood and cast Mage Armor. Uther hurried over to aid Taoran, landing a nasty uppercut cold-cocking the warrior into unconsciousness (confirmed critical!). Unfortunately, this caught the attention of two more knights. One knocked down another hapless patron, while the other circled around to flank.

Sylus did a quick reconnoiter and made his way around the other side of the bar to guard Uther. Taoran wasted no time attacking the knight with the sword. His thrust hit home, piercing the spear end of his hoopak into a quadriceps. The kender’s opponent retaliated in anger, his blade cutting ozone. Nasiak hesitated while Uther ran to the nearest enemy. He missed the blow, promptly receiving a backhand for his effort. Suddenly, the flanking Nerakan drew his sword and dishonorably slashed Uther down his back, bringing the staggered cleric to a knee. The bar fight had become deadly! Bystanders and locals became fearful and ran out of the Wounded Crow, forgetting the joys of a good bar brawl. But through all of the antics, something amazing occurred. A spark caught in one of the adventurers, igniting a small blaze. Nasiak watched as his friend was stabbed in the back. For the first time in a century, true righteous anger coursed through the irda’s veins. For the first time, the irda cast a spell with the intention to hurt. Nasiak circled and lanced a Ray of Frost into Uther’s attacker, surprising all. (In and out of character!)

Without missing a beat, Sylus pulled his bow and shot. The arrow hit a Nerakan in the shoulder. Fate was on their side. Taoran hit again with his hoopak, but the stubborn knight would not fall. Again he missed with his bastard sword, growling in anger. Nasiak shot another Ray of Frost, dropping Uther’s attacker. Though bitterly wounded, Uther instinctively swung at the remaining warrior. The Nerakan was knocked cold while Uther struggled to stay conscious. Across the room, two dark knights turned to see their comrades almost defeated. Leaving the Herald in a blood puddle, they drew their weapons in sneering salutes.

Sylus let loose another arrow that flew wide. Taoran continued the dance of death with his attacker, none gaining any ground. Nasiak quickly recovered a potion, pouring it down Uther’s throat. The Solamnic mumbled thanks but his eyes were on bitter enemies. The chosen of Kiri-Jolith drew his “Sacred Defender” and returned a salute. Fire burned in his eyes as he charged the pair, scoring a vicious slash. A valiant yet wasted effort. Enemy bastard swords pierced his body, dropping Uther like a sack of rotten potatoes. Even a common man could see the cleric didn’t have long to live, his lifeblood mingling with spilt ale.

It was up to Sylus. The ranger dropped the bow and pulled his longsword in a fluid two-handed motion. The lucky half-elf’s swipe sent a Nerakan head bouncing to the floor (lucky bastard hit a double Nat 20, what are the odds?). Meanwhile, Nasiak and Taoran finished off the other aggressor combining hoopak and sorcery. The last Nerakan threw his weapon down in utter fear and ran for his life. Sylus immediately administered first aid to his fallen comrade. The cleric had almost been accepted at his god’s side at –9 hit points.

The fight had ended, but the night had just begun.

Ok, getting a little better at this. I have three weeks to get three more session updated before our campaign continues. Anything is possible.
    Last edited by rogue; 05-22-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Yay, journal updates! This was a really good account of the brawl at The Wounded Crow. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the peaceable irda cut loose. Something tells me he'll be casting a few more hurtful spells before this campaign is over...
    Head Moderator &

It made us all laugh that his only spell that could hurt someone is Ray of Frost. Go cantrips!