Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Mortals Q&A

My advice is to allow the Spell Compendium only as a source of spells that the wizard may research. Treat them all as uncommon or rare spells that can' t be chosen as part of the 2 free spells per level. Since none of the NPCs in the adventures use these spells, you will need to choose new spells from the book if you open it up to the PCs.

As for nonstandard classes, I don't see too much problem with classes like the knight. It may even help a budding Knight of Solamnia out at low levels. I strongly encourage picking up Knightly Orders if you are going to have any knight characters however, as it revises and updates the Solamnic and Legion PrCs and introduces some new feats that are good choices. Towers of High Sorcery revised the Wizard of High Sorcery, also, relaxing some of the entry requirements and adding new PrCs, spells, and items that are used in the campaign in places.

Other than those two books, you may also want a copy of the Bestiary of Krynn. A revised edition of that book will go on sale around April, but is already on sale in PDF form at DriveThruRPG.com.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Cam, if you written the whole trilogy, what may be different (I seem to remember you had quite a nifty way to do the flickers...)? What would you change in KoD? I'm reading through PoC now and OMG I absolutely love it. My party just entered the valley of Hurim but they'll hopefully reach PoC one day!

Thanks!
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

richardharrison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Banks
    Other than those two books, you may also want a copy of the Bestiary of Krynn. A revised edition of that book will go on sale around April, but is already on sale in PDF form at DriveThruRPG.com.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Thanks for that, Cam - a very fast and handy response! I remembered my third question - I do have a copy of Bestiary, the non-revised version. What's the difference and is it a crucial and significant upgrade to the original?

Richard
    Last edited by richardharrison; 03-11-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richardharrison
    Thanks for that, Cam - a very fast and handy response! I remembered my third question - I do have a copy of Beastiary, the non-revised version. What's the difference and is it a crucial and significant upgrade to the original?

Richard
    It reformats the layout which had errors in it, though you can find the errata here. It also has additional monsters and articles included in it too.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

richardharrison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sephzero
    It reformats the layout which had errors in it, though you can find the errata here. It also has additional monsters and articles included in it too.
    Cheers, sounds like I can manage okay with the original for now.

If only I'd bought the books I needed when I was in San Diego in July, would be saving me a HECK of a lot on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlinrox
    Cam, if you written the whole trilogy, what may be different (I seem to remember you had quite a nifty way to do the flickers...)? What would you change in KoD? I'm reading through PoC now and OMG I absolutely love it. My party just entered the valley of Hurim but they'll hopefully reach PoC one day!
    Two main structural changes I'd have made to Key of Destiny would have been to reduce the flickers in the Hurim chapter, which I think can be a lot of reading out loud to the players for not a lot of action, and to introduce Sindra a lot earlier.

In my campaign I had the party go back in time to Hurim on the night of the betrayal of the clerics and the attack of the ogres. The heroes got to experience the events of the flickers, and at the end they released the Betrayer into the current era, as his soul had been trapped in a kind of time loop within the valley.

I brought Sindra into the adventure near Ak-Khurman, before the heroes were high enough level to challenge her. I remembered how cool it was that Onyx showed up and attacked for a couple of rounds in Dragons of Despair before leaving, and I wanted the heroes to know that the demonic looking woman on the cover had a reason to be on there.

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Thanks for the reply Cam! Which flickers would you have taken out or changed? I find them all interesting (unless I'm forgetting something, which then wouldn't be that interesting or i wouldn't have forgotten it!!)

I really like the ogre mage kitchen flicker and all of them with the Betrayer...even the ones that seem to have no meaning leave clues...the sick priest-while not advancing the story any, still lets the players know that the prest was under some sort of sickness, hinting at the resolution needed to put the ghost to rest.
    Friendly Nexus Rules Editor

Send me some rules so I can edit and post them!!

DragonWizard Guest

Question Number of Players

I hope it is not too late to ask a question.

How many players does the campaign work for? I have a group of 7 players.

It was designed for a four players party. But you can adjust the encounter numbers and other parts to make it suitable challenge for your party size.
    Pondering the Mysteries of Dragonlance
    Member of the Whitestone Council

Check out the Dragonlance Forum Chat. Right there next to Quick Link and Log Out on the top tool bar. See who's chatting too.

-SZ

Default Low Cash

Dear Cam as you might know in Magic Item Comp they changed treasure generation.
    They now based it new on CR treasure system complete with guilt like trip.
    Most of the monsters if wandering might need rolling up treasure.
    Having the new system you get alot better cash and magic treasure players.
    Basic should use this because the book creators do say its now SRD to do this way.
    People say all future modules will follow this just like the new monster stat block.
    Reading this on the wizards board has many posts basic I wonder on my choice.