Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Age of Mortals Q&A

Default Age of Mortals Q&A

I thought I would start this thread so that folks could specifically ask questions about the three-part Age of Mortals campaign, metagame issues, the flow of the storyline, and so on. I'm available to answer any major questions you may have, and others can chip in too with their own comments, observations, and changes to the plot (either big or small!)

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

I had a couple of things that I'm not sure are specific to the Age of Mortals series, but I'm curious about them anyways. This first is how you would allow the party to figure out the true nature of the artifacts that they get. Identify doesn't work on artifacts, so how are they (eventually) supposed to figure out what it is that they're carrying?

The second thing is with the Desolation in Key of Destiny. I've run through it once already, but that group kind of fizzled out and my second group is coming up on it pretty soon. I'd like to see them understand the harsh landscape and the danger, but this group isn't really as much into combat as my last group. What's a good way for me to show them without having them have to spend three sessions (about what my other group did - and loved it) on random encounters?

a lot of the artifacts have convenient NPC helpers around to tell you what to do with them, or are revealed through the course of the adventure. There's also bardic knowledge rolls and the like if you want.

I made sure my players knew that the items had a lot of power, but not necessarily what it was.
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

After my previous session running KoD, I was wondering the same thing about the traveling and the random encounters along the way. The group wasn't very enthused during the session because it was just some random encounters.

Should I attempt to make these encounters part of the story or leave them out? I know some have the potential to work well together, i.e. the eagles and Draconian encounters, but what about the others.
    The Mind conquers all!!

Quote Originally Posted by themind
    Should I attempt to make these encounters part of the story or leave them out?
    Personalyl, I can't stand random encounters. They're a staple of D&D, but they're the first thing I'd strip out of a published adventure. Unless an encounter will further the story, introduce important villains or allies, or matter in some other way, I don't bother.

Sounds like your players think along the same lines. I'd advise that you don't bore them; if you're concerned about XP, hand out some extra at the set piece encounters to compensate.
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!

I love random encounters, personally, but i always manage to blend them into the story somehow. no encounter is ever truly 'random', in that sense. Hell, one random encounter in pashin led to an entire sidequest subplot i worked in that ended up with a giant subterranian cthulu style disir cavern =)
    Other people chronicle the setting. I chronicle the culture.
    --
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. " -Benford's Law of Controversy
    ---
    The ultimate DL fan is a bodhisattva-one who has transcended fandom and collection sizes, and yet stays in fandom to help the love of others grow.

I don't mind Random encounters either, but as I gain more and more experience behind the screen, I've noticed how much they don't tend to keep the game fun enough just by themselves. I'm sure if I can mold them into some minor plot for the moment, it would much more enjoyable, especially for a group of players who enjoy story and combat together.

In my online KoD game, in the Valley of Hurim I used the Dust Mephit encounter not as a battle but as a hook for the Cursed Dryad in the grove. Worked out well. In the midst of battle they were able to figure out how to help the Dryad and saved her. In the end, they made some new friends.
    The Mind conquers all!!

You can always pick and choose the random encounters that you like or that your party will find interesting. We spent quite a bit of time on the Laamia encounter when we did it, but all in all, I think how many random encounters you should throw at your players is largely dependant on what type of players you have. I'm just a little concerned that if I strip out the random encounters, it will make the Desolation seem like a much less harsh environment.

No BŁndesphar? Shame on you!

What was the inspiration behind the White Fang Society? Are all shards of Chaos Teifling's in DL or was this just the way you chose to express these particular shards?
    Last edited by Heron; 12-08-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    BŁndesphar | Mage-Slayer | Assassin for Hire | Spellslinger | Unaligned | Medium humanoid

"He Who Chases Death."

Quote Originally Posted by Heron
    No BŁndesphar? Shame on you!
    I leave them to Kevin.

What was the inspiration behind the White Fang Society? Are all shards of Chaos Teifling's in DL or was this just the way you chose to express these particular shards?
    The Whitescale Society, believe it or not, comes from my love of those vast networks of ninjas and/or henchmen that pulp masterminds tend to have. Sort of how Blofeld has SPECTRE in James Bond, or how Fu Manchu had the Si-Fan, etc. They should just keep showing up in the adventure until the heroes get a move on and do something.

Not all twists in the River of Time are tieflings, no. Chaos have any real rhyme or reason, after all!

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!