Page 1 of 837 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Key of Destiny (planning)

Default Key of Destiny (planning)

Key of Destiny

I am starting a new thread running the Key of Destiny DL adventure. We are going to use all the game mechanics of DnD, so having dice and the Player’s Handbook is a must, and the Dragonlance Campaign Setting is pretty essential (though the DLCS will mainly be needed for character creation, so if you don’t have one and you want to play a minotaur or gully dwarf, for example, then we’ll work together to get your character created).

Rules, Guidelines & Thoughts

1. If you're a DL fan but don’t know how to play DnD then sorry, this particular RP thread isn’t for you, unless you are willing to pick up some dice and the Player’s Handbook and learn real fast (go for it).

2. All characters are starting at 1st level. Player’s Handbook and Dragonlance product races and character classes only, and eventual prestige classes from the DMG and Dragonlance products only. Spells and feats can be from the Player’s Handbook and Dragonlance products only (sorry, no Complete Psionic Handbook VIII.)

3. There will be the story thread, and two planning threads. This here planning thread will be for chat, announcements, etc. A second planning thread will contain the players’ character sheets only. When I create that thread, I will roll up an NPC example (who may come along for the ride) that has the general template and every detail I would like to see on your own character’s sheet. After you’ve been accepted into the thread, then you can post your character on the character sheet thread.

4. For ability scores, use 4d6 and drop the lowest. Use the starting gold (steel) tables in the PHB to buy your starting equipment.

5. For die rolling, we’re going to be using the honor system (unless I miraculously figure out a way to incorporate a dice-rolling program). And I swear, if I end up suspecting anyone is cheating then I will haunt your character with the ghost of Tasslehoff Burrfoot for the remainder of the adventure. Trust between us all will be a key element for this thread to thrive. I will be rolling your character’s saving throws, initiative, damage (for efficiency) and occasionally a secret skill check for your character, so it will be important to keep your character sheet edited/updated (hence, character sheets having their own thread where they will be easily accessible to both of us.) You’ll be rolling attack rolls, skill checks, caster level checks, and countless other things when applicable.

6. Normally on the RP forums, OOC notes are very minimized in the posts. This thread will be an exception. Please divide your posts into two sections when die rolls or an explanation of game mechanics is necessary. First, write your post from a prose/story point of view. Then, in a separate paragraph at the bottom, with an OOC marker, state briefly in plain language/game mechanics what it is you are attempting, and list any attack roll or other necessary roll (such as a Tumble or caster level check) that you make. I will then post the results/consequences of your actions (whether or not you hit, etc.). This will mainly be needed in combat or when you are using your skills.

Example of post:

Kymera whirled to see the dire rat crawling out from the sludge. When she was a child, she had been bitten by a rat and was sick with a fever for weeks. Even when she was feeling better, none of the other children would play with her anymore. Now, she wasted no time drawing her longsword, a look of disgust on her face as she carefully approached the obsequious vermin. It was larger than an alley cat, its beady red eyes flaring. Dodging lightly on her feet, carefully keeping them away from the rat’s sharp little teeth, she thrust her sword at it.

OOC: Kymera moves 20 ft. drawing her longsword, puts Dodge on dire rat, swings using -1 Combat Expertise and -1 Power Attack. Rolled d20+3 for a 22, possible critical. Rolled d20+3 for a 7 to possibly confirm critical.

7. Initiative - I'm modifying the initiative rules slightly to facilitate play.
    *1. I roll initiatives and post them in planning thread.
    *2. Characters who beat the 'monster' may post in any order amongst themselves (this'll cut back on waiting for a specific person to come online and post).
    *3. Once these players have all posted, the monster acts.
    *4. Now its essentially the players' turn (as each one would get to act before the monster acts again). Once each player posts once, its back to the monster. Round and round we go.

8. Character Death - I don’t fudge die rolls to keep characters alive, except on the very rare occasion that I feel I have made an error by making an encounter simply too difficult to survive. I feel, personally, that the threat of potential character death adds to the level of suspense in the game, so, know this - the danger is real.

9. The only rule from the PHB I am not adherring to is the rule about XP penalty for non-favored classes and multiclassing.

10. I prefer past tense posting, so that the thread reads like a novel.

11. I’m an experienced tabletop DL DM, and a veteran of the RPing threads here, but I’ve never tried to combine the two. We’ll have to work out kinks in the system as we go so please bare with me, and your suggestions are more than welcome. I’m sure they’ll be hurdles, but we’ll also have loads of fun!

12. I’m looking for a max of 8 players. Some of these slots have been filled. Post to let me know you’re interested, PM me your character concept (no need for a full character sheet yet, just name/race/class/bio/description/history will suffice), and I will announce who has been accepted soon enough. If there is a lot of interest in this thread then I may have to turn some players away, so sorry in advance! If you aren’t accepted at first, don’t lose hope. I’ll be thinking of you as on stand-by, and if someone drops out (which tends to happen here and there) or if there is a character death, then you deserve a chance to come in and play - I’ll PM you.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 12-06-2006 at 03:14 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

I'm interested. What do you need in the way of characters? I'm pretty good at playing kender chars, and I'm very familiar with the rules (I've got more than 40 books).
    KenderBryant: Papermaster, the new Agent Paper.

"Silence! I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Join the Dark Side; we have cookies!

QPDIITA (Quidditch Players Do It In The Air)

Was this yours? You must have dropped it.

Shalafi for Prez!
    Amethyst for Vice Prez!

Creator and Administrator for the Shaarthuus campaign setting (already being updated for 4.0); http://shaarthuus.myfreeforum.org

Quick question, will you be using the Curse of the Magi rule, and how will you track spell components for mages?
    Last edited by rogue; 12-05-2006 at 10:39 PM.
    -Dragonlance Nexus Social Media Manager-
    GM - ICRP: Star Wars - Dawn of Defiance

I would still like to try it out. I'm entering finals week(and a half) at school, so I might seem a little slow at first.

I'll PM you my character idea, Bong.

Kargin el Tomath Guest

Sounds interesting. I don't think i'll join. i was going to, but I'm already in three other threads. i will be sure to keep an eye on it though. i may ask to join later on if I see it's running smoothly.

As far as what's needed at this point, let's talk about what is no longer needed...

No need for any more half-elves, and we have one wizard thus far (probably no need for another).

I'd personally love to see some dwarven love - be it mountain, hill, dark, or gully.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

I'm still very much interested in playing and I PM'd you my character yesterday. If you'd like me to post info about him here, let me know and I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong Bellowsmoke
    As far as what's needed at this point, let's talk about what is no longer needed...

No need for any more half-elves, and we have one wizard thus far (probably no need for another).

I'd personally love to see some dwarven love - be it mountain, hill, dark, or gully.
    IF you are looking for a dwarven character then let me know. I have a first level guy ready to go.
    Chuck

Editor of the Palanthas Herald

Member of the Whitestone Council

Crew on the Dragonlance Canticle

Former Contributor of the Lexicon

I would love to join... sent my character in...

Let me know

Thanks

Henrad

Dorfin, for some reason I never received your PM. Please try again.