Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of Courage Campaign Journal - WARNING: SPOILERS

Default Price of Courage Campaign Journal - WARNING: SPOILERS

Alright, here we go. Feel free to post your comments/suggestions, folks. Session 1. The party has played through the adventure preview, and as we continue the epic adventure to thwart Frost tonite, the party is camping along Haekal’s Causeway after a fight to the bitter end against the Harpy Archers trying to extort them along the road. I decided not to try and write out all that happened when we played the adventure preview (a few months ago), but to look forward instead. Special thanks to Cam Banks for writing such a fantastic adventure that we're going to have so much fun with!
    Here is our cast of characters.

Temphanas the White
    male half-ogre Conjurer/White Robe

Lemmy MacFadden
    male lemish human Fighter/Rogue/Coinsword of Shinare/Steel Legion Scout
    and his lovely apprentice...

Ashley Remains
    female lemish human Barbarian/Mystic of Fire/Firebrand of Sirrion

Zagnark Es-Lagrangli
    male minotaur Mariner

Justin Valerian
    male solamnic human Mystic of War/Citadel Mystic/Righteous Cohort of Kiri-Jolith

I love this party. Small in number, but rather large in stature to say the least - a minotaur with the Hulking Brute feat, a 7’8” half-ogre, a 6’4” solamnic holy warrior (curtain-like mustache and all); Lemmy the contract mercenary is as tough as most fighters, and the Red Sonya-ish Ashley has a Strength of 17 (and Charisma of 18, unless she turns up the heat even more with her Firebrand abilities). When this party walks into a tavern, people notice.

They met Rasca along the Causeway. When Temphanas used his Knowledge skills to know something of the Calantina and Rasca claimed to revere Gilean, the party wisely became interested in what the half-kender had to say. The party played along wonderfully with the half-kender’s gypsy-like antics, including sitting in a circle, cross-legged, with arms out - saying ‘oooohm’ - in tandem with Rasca’s urging. Very good RPing here. Rasca was in full form, lighting a few candles and smokesticks for extra effect before rolling the fortune-telling dice. The Calantina commenced. It was Water and Air, Bright. The mysterious threads of the future began to unfold with the half-kender’s Bone Reading. Then Rasca was off down the road, claiming he was going to go and gamble with some Lahutian Cannibals.

The party arrived in Kalaman - where they came to return the reunited Tears of Mishakal to the Church of Mishakal - the next day around sunset, so they headed straight for an inn, leaving business to the next day. Afterall, they had been in stinking swamps for weeks. In the common room, Zagnark the minotaur mariner met Captain Tristan Elderwood, the Ergothian Merchant Marine, and the two traded tales of sailor lore. The sea battle with the goblin pirates came up (battle from the adventure preview), and Tristan (who had heard the tale) was impressed to find out these were the heroes of that day. The lovely Ashley told the fiery tale of the battle and rolled excellently on her Perform (oratory) skill. She also rolled well on her Bluff - turns out, she had not been with the party yet at that point, but did an excellent job of making up the tale as she went along. Captain Tristan failed his Sense Motive, was enamored with the beautiful Firebrand’s passionate storytelling, and became even more impressed with the party in general. As it says in the adventure, getting in good with Captain Tristan will help the PCs later on. They did a good job here. Lemmy rolled excellently on his Gather Information skill - he found out the Steel Legion can be found in the fish markets, that Shala Mer-Kane (the proprietor of Mer-Kane Maps) went missing recently, and even that the street urchins of Kalaman saw a dark cloaked figure with a strange medallion around his neck sneaking into Kalaman by the Secret Way (the kender way). I think the party realized at this point they were hot on the trail of Gilthanas, the Skull Thief, and that there was a connection between his arrival and the disappearance of Shala Mer-Kane. Captain Tristen told them the rumor about Ekatrine of Five Veils as well, but I think the party forgot about this detail later. Too much ale, I suppose.

The next morning came.

Lemmy, using his Face in the Crowd ability, made his way to the fish markets, and met up with the Legion cell commander in Kalaman, Etharion Cordaric, who was posing as a fishmonger. Lemmy didn’t ask all the right questions of Etharion - Etharion knows alot about the bigger picture (Cinder, Southern Ergoth, Gilthanas), but Lemmy focused on local matters. Still, the two hit it off, and Etharion learned of the party’s possession of the Dragonlance.

The party met outside the bustling Church of Shinare a little later. Even Lemmy, who is a Coinsword of Shinare, was having trouble getting the attention of one of the busy priests and acolytes. Eventually, he went up to a priest who was fending off a bristly gang of sailors, who were complaining about the high price of belaying pins at Emerald Mermaid Supplies. (In truth, the high price of the belaying pins was the result of them being masterwork items, I decided.) Lemmy butted in, announcing that Emerald Mermaid Supplies was having a sale today, all belaying pins going for a special price. The bluff worked, and Lemmy earned the gratitude of the priest as the sailors ran off to be first in line. Within an hour, the party was sitting in the presence of Lady Jennetta, Mistress of Light, high priestess of Shinare in Kalaman.

Inside the temple, all was cordial. Lady Jennetta offered the party ale and cakes. After people had started eating and talking, Lemmy decided it was time to collect on the Coinsword contract he had on the Essakar ogres (from the adventure preview). Four ogre heads rolled out of his sac and on to the table while people were eating. Not a very diplomatic moment. Still, Lady Jennetta was impressed, and she paid Lemmy for his mercenary work and they discussed a new contract - a contract on Gilthanas. They discussed the terms and the contract was sealed. The party learned from Lady Jennetta that Gilthanas was in Kalaman as recently as two weeks ago, and that it had something to do with a map. Lady Jennetta gave the party three Tablets of Shinare, magical tablets that allow communication to other possessors of the tablets, regardless of distance. The PCs did an excellent job of diplomacy and gathering information here, primarily due to Lemmy’s Coinsword and Steel Legion skills. The party left the temple, and headed back into the streets of Kalaman.

That’s when tragedy struck. The PC’s senses were no match for the stealth of the Whitescale Society Assassins, and the assassins were able to strike with several death attacks. Temphanas, the White Wizard (rolling a natural 1) fell to a kukri death attack in the surprise round. This made the battle considerably more challenging. It was a furious and bloody battle - the assassins continuously tumbling into flanking positions and sneak attacking the PCs. Justin's well-timed Mass Cure Light Wounds saved the party from defeat. The party fought back ferociously, Zagnark slashing with his scimitar and disarming the assassins of their kukris, the fiery Ashley raging and swinging her greataxe, and Lemmy attacking with maximum power attacks with his bastard sword. Justin had one of the assassins on the retreat, and chased her into a nearbye home, and his one-on-one duel with the assassin happened on top of a kitchen table while the previously dining family screamed and cowered in the corners of the room. After about 5 rounds, the assassins were all dead except for one female. She made for a getaway, climbing to a rooftop and casting Obscuring Mist. The bloody PC’s surrounded the building on their turn. The assassin leaped to a neighboring rooftop, but one of the PC’s heard her and they repostioned. She was spotted as she came out of the mist when she leaped down into a roadside wagon. Justin, the War Mystic, called a Flamestrike spell down upon the wagon. The assassin was unable to evade, and the battle was over, but not without one casualty - Temphanas the White. The great half-ogre lie in the street, with a single deadly wound from a kukri.

Now, most of the time PCs will decide to take a fallen comrade to a temple, but in this case, the PCs played up the fact that Temphanas was a wizard, and that wizards, even dead wizards, could be dangerous - and decided that no one should touch his stuff and that only a fellow wizard should deal with a dead wizard. This made me laugh - good RPing here despite the upsetting circumstances of a dead character on the first night of play. Mark Oxborn, Sheriff of Kalaman came on the scene. Mark, after an inquiry, led the PC’s to Cilvar’s Mageware shop at the behest of the PCs. Cilvar, a Nerakan barbarian of a Red Robe from the mountains of Taman Busuk, did not exactly hit it off with the Solamnic Justin, especially when Cilvar began reclaiming the fallen Temphanas’s magic items for the Wizard’s Conclave and putting them on shelves. When Justin bristled and questioned the Red Robe why he was putting these items on his shelves, Cilvar responded with “Would you rather have me set them on the floor, where you will surely trip over them in your cloddish Solamnic boots?” Things were not going well at this point, but again Lemmy’s diplomacy skills prevailed. After some amends, Cilvar became helpful toward Lemmy, returned one of the Tablets of Shinare (that Temphanas was carrying) to him, as well as all potions that were made with divine magic, and told him that he would Identify Temphanas’s arcane items and determine which ones were indeed strictly property of the Wizard’s Conclave, but this would take one day. The party reluctantly agreed, and headed for the inn for some well-deserved rest. End of session 1.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 11-16-2006 at 12:59 PM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Sounds good so far, keep 'em coming. I particularly like the confrontation with the Whitescale assassins. The part where you had one of the assassins take the fight into a local house to split the party up, and later have one of them attempt to escape via the rooftops was a nice touch indeed. I take it your party isn't going to try and resurrect Temphanus huh?

This is excellent stuff! What an ideal party for this adventure. I'm really pleased to hear how the characters are making use of their abilities and really getting established. Given that I'm also responsible for those prestige classes, seeing all of this come together is oddly satisfying.

Thanks for posting, Mr Bellowsmoke!

Cheers,
    Cam
    Moderator | Member - Whitestone Council
    Visit Atlas Games for information about Gloom, Once Upon a Time, Ars Magica, Over the Edge, Feng Shui, and many other card games & RPGs!

Enteril Guest

Sounds fun, glad to hear you're posting this.

I like it. It seems like your group is a solid bunch of roleplayers. I am envious of that.

Chuck
    Chuck

Editor of the Palanthas Herald

Member of the Whitestone Council

Crew on the Dragonlance Canticle

Former Contributor of the Lexicon

Having the Coinsword sign a contract to go after Gilthanas is inspired. Fantastic work, keep posting the journals!
    - Clark Valentine

Fate Core - Latest incarnation of the Fate Roleplaying engine
    Fate Accelerated - Fate, but streamlined, trimmed back, and Accelerated!

frostdawn - thanks. Reading your campaign journal for SoS was part of the inspiration to keep a highly detailed journal for our PoC adventure. And as for Temphanas's fate, we'll just have to wait and see what happens next week!

Cam - thanks, and remember (just in case you change your mind) - we're 5 minutes from the PA border - and the invitation is always open for you to come RP Frost at the climax.

Gerrin - thanks and yeah, the players rock.

clarkvalentine - You're right, and the best part was - it was the player's idea. Should've thrown out bonus XPs for that one.

Thanks ya'll, I'll definitely keep up with this.
    Last edited by Bong Bellowsmoke; 11-17-2006 at 01:56 AM.
    The Red Condor shrieked at Sir Darvig in full wrath. Wings flapped storms of fire across the sky. "The Mage-God grows in power swifter than it appears to Paladine. This I know. A warning," Sargonnas told Darvigl, "for you to give to Paladine in your prayers."

“I will,” Darvig uttered.

Brilliant campaign journal - can't wait for the next installment!

Looks like you've been lucky with some good Role players on the group. I think they almost deserve an entry as an 'iconic' set of heroes! The coinsword PrC has always been a favourite of mine - its a shame the cleric of Shinare in my game is more of a walking medkit and trader than a fighting class as I would have loved to seen one in action.

The contract on gilthanas will make for good RP later on when the group find out that he's not really a bad guy... Will Lemmy still carry out his contract???

Dum, dum dum!
    Ralph T O'Brien
    Knight of the mauve turnip.
    "Risk Everything...or feel nothing!"
    Read the Scourge of Ansalon campain journal here!
    Find out more about the UK Dragonlance community!

You could worship a pancake, for instance. It doesn't make you a cleric - Cam Banks.

I haven't gotten my copy of PoC yet, but now I can't wait! Sounds like a really interesting party and a great buch of RPers.

So many great campaign journals lately! Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Tauren_Kai-Jere; 01-04-2007 at 11:06 AM.
    Head Moderator &
    Member of the Whitestone Council

"Hey look! I'm the Code of Conduct! Check me out!" -The Code of Conduct

Although I'm not going to read the journal proper (going to play the campaign soon myself) I must say that it's an interesting party of characters. Especially the coinsword of Shinare and the righteous cohort of Kiri-Jolith seem like very interesting characters and the monstrous characters should make for some interesting roleplay as well.

Ravenmantle
    Heine Kim Stick