+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Novel to read

Talking New Novel to read

Hey guys, I'm looking for something new to read. I want it to be fantasy setting, and focus on or have a good deal of magic. Alot of people suggested A Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think theres magic in it. I have the Coldfire trilogy coming in the mail, and have read most of the standard stuff, HP, LotR, Shannara, Dresden is my personal favorite, but I'm not wanting something modern in setting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm struggling with book 2 of Sword of Truth, so I have it covered....am just really hating book 2.
    Last edited by LuckyIFoundThis; 04-26-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    The stars would fall from heaven and the gods would faint in horror if diplomats started speaking the truth- Sithel
    I've got better things to do tonight than die!-Springer
    "..before my time but Ive been told, you never come back from Copperhead Road"
    Currently reading: Transformers: Exodus

I would stop with Sword of Truth. It just devolves in to what I like to call "place keeping." That's when nothing really happens but the author gives the illusion for several books. Robert Jordan had the problem... GRR Martin looks to be coming down with it. Terry Goodkind had it.

If Song of Ice and Fire isn't your thing, stay away from the Kushiel series as well. The Pathfinder Setting novels released by Paizo are fun in the style of the stand alone Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms novels.

ASoIaF does have magic in it, but it is EXTREMELY limited in screen time. George Martin went with the approach of not using magic to the point of that when it does appear is almost always hits hard.

As for other series with magic, if you're into a long haul and can keep up with the genre shifts (going from adventure series to military campaigns to political plotting and posturing and then back to military campaigns), I highly recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. It is a LONG story and if you need something with a good clip, you might want to come back to this one later when you are ready for something that can move slowly at times due to its massive cast.

Another good series is the Mistborn 'trilogy'. I only put 'trilogy' in quotes because although the first three books are a contained story, it looks like Brandon Sanderson is starting a second trilogy for the setting. I believe he said he ultimately plans on making a trilogy of trilogies. There's a highly restrained magic set that is the main focus on the first book (although a second and third are lightly touched upon). I only say highly restrained because there is a very limited number of magical things that can be done... HOWEVER the awesomeness in the system is seeing how creative those people who can do these limited feats in implementing what they can. I also give the series credit for not only pulling the rug out from under me at one point, but simultaneously shoving me forward as the rug goes backwards at the same time somebody slams me in the head with a heavy brick... and all because of three words. It. Was. Awesome. (Oh yes, and the fight sequences are incredible; especially if you love seeing how magic and real-life physics can work together seamlessly.)
    "A payment. My life will simply be a payment. But only when all are free... My fault."
    - The Prophet, as recorded from testimony in FyxZharar, 431 AD

All must prepare. The Prophet has entered the war.

Projects (Dragonlance, and Non-DL):
    "The Dying Towers of Ryst: An Achanian Tale"
    "Chef Nightly" (iOS/Android)
    The Adlatum Project - Sourcebook Available
    Art of Psycha Durmont

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Carteeg_Struve View Post
    Another good series is the Mistborn 'trilogy'. I only put 'trilogy' in quotes because although the first three books are a contained story, it looks like Brandon Sanderson is starting a second trilogy for the setting.
    Yeah I have actually read Mistborn, I really dug it. I didnt put alot of stock in it at first, but was very pleased when i got over the small hurdle i had at the begining.
    The stars would fall from heaven and the gods would faint in horror if diplomats started speaking the truth- Sithel
    I've got better things to do tonight than die!-Springer
    "..before my time but Ive been told, you never come back from Copperhead Road"
    Currently reading: Transformers: Exodus

Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen
    formerly known as "whoisrube"
    (no longer a minion. . .)

Smile

Another good series is the Mistborn 'trilogy'. I only put 'trilogy' in quotes because although the first three books are a contained story, it looks like Brandon Sanderson is starting a second trilogy for the setting.
    I loved all 4 books that are out now.
    Goodbye 4 Now,
    Baloden (Terry)

http://www.facebook.com/Baloden
    http://www.twitter.com/Baloden

"If I don't see you later, Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening, and Good Night to all."
    -Jim Carrey

+ Reply to Thread